Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

tlarn posted:

As for Scooter, Pandora has lost one of its last honest-to-goodness good folk, and society upon it is all the poorer for it.

He buried a man alive and had a crush on his sister. But yeah, Moxxi's going to go ballistic when she finds out about this. She may have her flaws, but she loves her kids.

At any rate, let's CATCH A RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kaubocks posted:

Mad Moxxi is the mother of Scooter and Ellie, and has been married to several people such as Marcus and (I believe) Steve, as well as previously dating Handsome Jack and Mordecai. Not necessarily at the same time, mind you.

She gets around.

Mad Moxxie is one of Pandora's less insane quest givers, but she still has the normal Pandorian casual attitude towards murdering people for money. She sends you to murder her (second) ex-husband for goodness sakes. Although she does seem honestly broken up over his death.

What I'm getting at is that they better not let Rhyis break the news to Moxxie about Scooter, or she'll have them all killed.

CuwiKhons posted:

He buried a man alive and had a crush on his sister. But yeah, Moxxi's going to go ballistic when she finds out about this. She may have her flaws, but she loves her kids.

At any rate, let's CATCH A RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE

That is the price of doing business on a shithole like Pandora.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

So long, Space Cowboy.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Not trading hats is a loving disgrace.

CATCH A RIIIIIIIIDE!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Scooter? But but but... Scooter? (Read spoilers, haven't seen it yet :( )

CATCH A RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE! forever.

Here's hoping the Moxxie in Borderlands 3 is the mechanic like she was in the Pre-Sequel (Because women that can fix things are hotter? Maybe?) But oh yeah, she's gonna be pissed.

So here's a question: Why the hell doesn't anyone else respawn in these games? How can you kill someone if they will just pop back a few credits short?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cathulhu posted:

Not trading hats is a loving disgrace.

I LOVE that the option is there but in practice it's not that great. The animation for it is kinda clunky, Scooter looks like an enormous doof without his Iconic Cap™, he doesn't hold it up like a cowboy when flying away, and then Fiona promptly stops wearing Scooter's hat as soon as they hit Helios. Overall it's just kinda whatever and I figured people would mourn the loss of not only Scooter but also hat #2.

Fire Storm posted:

So here's a question: Why the hell doesn't anyone else respawn in these games? How can you kill someone if they will just pop back a few credits short?

the New-U stations are insanely non-canonical

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Kaubocks posted:

I LOVE that the option is there but in practice it's not that great. The animation for it is kinda clunky, Scooter looks like an enormous doof without his Iconic Cap™, he doesn't hold it up like a cowboy when flying away, and then Fiona promptly stops wearing Scooter's hat as soon as they hit Helios. Overall it's just kinda whatever and I figured people would mourn the loss of not only Scooter but also hat #2.

Well that's a bummer.

Also, how are they not freezing to death out there?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh man, I went back and listened to it, Scooter chokes up just a little bit on his final Catch A Ride. :smith:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cathulhu posted:

Well that's a bummer.

fiona is a wizard and scooter suffered extreme nerve damage when beat up by finch and kroger

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Aw hell naw, not Scooter! :(

Although I liked his homage to How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Their helmets don't even enclose their whole head, it's probably some kind of space magic tech that's projecting some kind of thin, full-body shield that keeps in atmosphere, pressure and heat. I mean they already have personal energy shields that deflect bullets, shrapnel and fire.

Also, Catch A Riiiiiiide!

Also also, the high watermark for the whole game is during that intro walk sequence where Fiona's "the gently caress?" expression slides into frame. Any and all relationship teasing between Rhys and Sasha is worth it for her reaction.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Cathulhu posted:

Well that's a bummer.

They won't freeze because there's nowhere for heat to go. You get cold in cold air because your heat moves from warm you to cold air and gets carried off by wind or whatever. In vacuum, heat can only leave the body by radiation, which is much much slower and possibly entirely counteracted by sunlight.

A small force field to counter the effects of negative pressure and cosmic rays should be plenty for a short EVA.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gotta Catch A Ride!

It's how Scooter lived.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Aw man.... Scooter.... At least he went out in the most awesome way possible, he'll be a Pandora legend for this.

Catch a ride Scooter, catch the best drat ride ever.

Speaking of rides, this game is the best drat ride! Seriously the story in this is so drat good, I get so drawn in and I love everything about it. I can't remember the last time I cared so much about characters in a video game.

Also I love how this vote has gone, I love all you goons for this.... Except Air is Lava. What is wrong with you?! Nice pun though.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
poo poo man. He finally caught the greatest ride of them all. :smith:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Honor the last ride he caught.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Catch a Ride seems to be the only correct option.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

See You Space Cowboy because Anime Is Real

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Honour Scooter in the only way possible. With his Catchphrase.

Also we finally get to my personal favourite title card, by far. Vaughn or no Vaughn, it's still an amazing sequence.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, that scene made me tear up, no joke. RIP Scooter, you'll forever be remembered as the Slim Pickens of Pandora. :patriot:

Also, finding out that Moxxi is Scooter's mom makes one of his quotes from the first game loving hilarious :v:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Catch a ride, man. There is no other option.

Scooter handles his imminent death with incredible dignity and maturity, considering his usual temperament. If he had to go, this was probably his ideal way - as he says, "I did some awesome poo poo!" In general, Scooter's actually a lot smarter in this game than people give him credit for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Changing my vote, I didn't watch the video at first. Stick to the plan. Scooter wouldn't want the rest of us getting killed.

Also I don't know if you care or not, but the SA link in video 4-3 isn't working.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 9, 2016

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Catch-a-RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE

It's the only option. BL3 is gonna be weird without him there.

DeafAssassin
Feb 25, 2014
Catch a Ride

Also I also thought you were going to do Step Three. But, that also would have made it very uncomfortable for the plot and story so a hug was a nice send off.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

DeafAssassin posted:

Catch a Ride

Also I also thought you were going to do Step Three. But, that also would have made it very uncomfortable for the plot and story so a hug was a nice send off.

I didn't choose this option, but I've heard that Fiona just kisses him on the cheek.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Calling it.
BL3s mysterious helping voice is gonna be scooter.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
This is one of them moments, y'all. CATCH A RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Still get chills watching that scene. It's right up there with some other video game sacrifice scenes which I dare not mention because spoilers everywhere.

Catch a Ride, you magnificent bastard.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah, forgot to ask: Is the ship fuselage they fly through in the title card a reference to anything in the games? Or just random space debris because Borderlands?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, forgot to ask: Is the ship fuselage they fly through in the title card a reference to anything in the games? Or just random space debris because Borderlands?

Considering that Henderson is STILL FLOATING AROUND OUT THERE and it's... What, at least a week since the game began, factoring in the travel montages? it doesn't look like Hyperion cleans up the space surrounding Helios at all. That may well be chunks of the original constructor fleet that got shredded by Dahl when they took over the station in the Pre-Sequel.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Crasical posted:

...Dahl when they took over the station in the Pre-Sequel.

oh my GOD I cannot believe I forgot to ever mention that Dahl attacked Helios

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
We need to Honor Scooter with Catch a Ride

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kaubocks posted:

oh my GOD I cannot believe I forgot to ever mention that Dahl attacked Helios

They killed a lot of people! :downs:

Yeah I thought the whole thing with Hyperion hating Dahl was a corporate rivalry thing my first playthrough. Now that I've dipped a toe into the Pre-sequel it turns out it's rather a more 'The Dahl Lost Legion attacked and seized control of the station'.

So, you know. On one hand, systematic purge of noncombatants by a trained military force. On the other hand, they probably killed a lot of Claptraps too, so.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I mostly just wanted to make a bad pun and to have a dissenting vote, but it was kinda insensitive of Scooter to bring a Dahl satelite. It's not like that ad space will bring him a lot of customers. And if any high ranking Hyperion sees that, they might just moonshot every shop of his franchise to the ground.

That being said, I'll miss his stupid, tiny face.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Crasical posted:

Considering that Henderson is STILL FLOATING AROUND OUT THERE and it's... What, at least a week since the game began, factoring in the travel montages? it doesn't look like Hyperion cleans up the space surrounding Helios at all. That may well be chunks of the original constructor fleet that got shredded by Dahl when they took over the station in the Pre-Sequel.

Yeah, that's probably it; they have been quite consistent with their references, and since I haven't played the pre-sequel yet I thought it may have been something recognizable.

Ah, the intro song this time is To The Top by Twin Shadow

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Crasical posted:

It might also be the ship from the pre-sequel. This may be spoilers, but it's just the intro video to the pre-sequel so it's not really spoiling anything. They don't look identical, but they do look pretty similar, and the ship gets destroyed by Dahl so it might be a callback to that?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This makes me really appreciate how good the intros in TftB are.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the pre-sequel musical intro is, in my opinion, by FAR the weakest of all of them. that music is just not the right choice at all, but the game was made by 2K Australia and The Vines are Australian so :jerkbag:

that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking with it

even borderlands 1, which is a pretty uneventful intro by today's standards, had a pretty baller music choice that set the tone (cage the elephant - ain't no rest for the wicked (or whatever that song is actually called)). borderlands 2 has the best of the FPS trio (the heavy - short change hero) but every single TFTBL intro knocks it out of the goddamn park and into the stratosphere

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I have never seen the intro to the PreSequel and so I find myself enjoying the imagery of suicidally overconfident bandits trying to hijack a rocket the same way a bunch of sailors would try to catch a whale (with similar results up until the part where the bandits got shot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Captain Bravo posted:

It might also be the ship from the pre-sequel. This may be spoilers, but it's just the intro video to the pre-sequel so it's not really spoiling anything. They don't look identical, but they do look pretty similar, and the ship gets destroyed by Dahl so it might be a callback to that?

While the shuttle from Pandora might technically not be part of the fleet, it's still a Hyperion ship destroyed during that same attack, so I didn't feel like calling it out as a separate possibility.

• Locked thread