Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i like the sql server tool that lets you draw tables and keys and so on; it's pleasant to use and helpful for understanding things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Phoenixan posted:

they bought minecraft to eventually deliver it the fate it deserves

No no no no no that cant be right, that would be a good and noble thing. MS cant do that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

i like the sql server tool that lets you draw tables and keys and so on; it's pleasant to use and helpful for understanding things

Every office in the world comes with that tool, a piece of paper and a pencil

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

Every office in the world comes with that tool, a piece of paper and a pencil

but the tool actually creates the tables and relationships when you save the diagram

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

shitface posted:

if you want a bi buy Microstrategy and then run it against a real database, Oracle. saying Microsoft has bi is like saying access is a database. it's only fishmech true

"you got me" *dramatically clasps hand over heart and slowly falls to the ground*

Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

but the tool actually creates the tables and relationships when you save the diagram

Hmm.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

did ms buy share point from someone else, I'm trying to think if they've ever developed anything decent inhouse

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

not that share point is decent mind you, but it seems so bad that it must have been made inhouse

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it was made in house lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

it was made in house lol

the theory fits

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I ordered my XPS 15 with 1tb SSD, and I think it comes with w10 pro instead of home

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

it was made in house lol

2013 or 15 or whatever we have is so fuckin retarded. like yeah sure ms the most important thing I care about when clicking the first three dots menu is how many goddamn people I'm sharing this thing with

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

sharepoint is total loving poo poo

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

2013 or 15 or whatever we have is so fuckin retarded. like yeah sure ms the most important thing I care about when clicking the first three dots menu is how many goddamn people I'm sharing this thing with

I'm the submenu of a submenu you have to dig through to actually download a copy of a doc instead of opening it read only or checking it out, as well as the important Dept critical form with a modified date of today and a random clients personal info filled in

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

sharepoint is total loving poo poo

at least it's not Drupal

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

theultimo posted:

at least it's not Drupal

let's not say things we can't take back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

what are the chances of the mssql port being even vaguely on par in performance and features to the Windows version in even the next 10 years?

it will probably be faster than windows on day one.

the linux kernel is just that much easier to work with. most particularly, you don't have to deal with the performance deficits associated with ntfs.

shitface posted:

I presume all the clr stuff will be backed by mono

why?

microsoft's own .net runs natively on linux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

i didn't see anything in there about it. It will be nice for enterprises still trapped on Linux to finally get a good db server.

now microsoft sql has a future

just think, shaggar: all your t-sql skills won't be obsolete just because windows is disappearing

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

now microsoft sql has a future

just think, shaggar: all your t-sql skills won't be obsolete just because windows is disappearing

t-sql is so loving bad compared to pl/sql. christ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

t-sql is so loving bad compared to pl/sql. christ

pl/sql is an abomination. oracle tried to turn sql into an imperative language for scripting. they really shouldn't have tried.

t-sql is just a bunch of extensions to sql, still as a query language. a small number of them are even useful.

it doesn't really make sense to compare them

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pl/sql is an abomination. oracle tried to turn sql into an imperative language for scripting. they really shouldn't have tried.

t-sql is just a bunch of extensions to sql, still as a query language. a small number of them are even useful.

it doesn't really make sense to compare them

You can write useful applications with PL/SQL. You can't with T-SQL.

At the end of the day, that's the only metric that matters.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

You can write useful applications with PL/SQL. You can't with T-SQL.

At the end of the day, that's the only metric that matters.

pls don't write applications in pl/sql

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oracle db is really cool and good

pl/sql, not so much

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pl/sql is powerful in that it enables you to accomplish lots of things, even though it sucks. but most database people, and most people who like imperative scripting languages, have no idea that it's possible to distinguish between "powerful" and "good"

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The application I work on/maintain has all the user interface poo poo in Java and the backend poo poo in PL/SQL.

It works, and you can say whatever you want about the right way to do things, but it bills $14b a year and I have a lifetime job chaperoning it if I want one.

Apr 7, 2003

Also at this point in time the PL/SQL way of doing things has been way less lovely than the Java way of doing things.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that is a reasonable way to do things in an environment where you need to strictly control any modifications to the database. i.e., you (the java dev) don't make any, you call stored procedures, they make any changes necessary

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

If you can propose a better way to pull in, process, and bill a bunch of static data every week, please let me know so that I can do better in the future.

Apr 7, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that is a reasonable way to do things in an environment where you need to strictly control any modifications to the database. i.e., you (the java dev) don't make any, you call stored procedures, they make any changes necessary

That's what we do, we have a bunch of data that comes in on very specific criteria from a system of record, we store it in Oracle, all the data manipulation code lives in Oracle and the user front end stuff that defines how that data manipulation code is defined lives in Java, the rules are defined that way and communicated to Oracle via JDBC calls and validated internally. All data processing happens in PL/SQL, all user interface stuff is in Java.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the main reason most developers hate stored procedures is that the dba won't grant them the necessary permissions for the cowboy coding they want to do in the database

Apr 7, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the main reason most developers hate stored procedures is that the dba won't grant them the necessary permissions for the cowboy coding they want to do in the database

My main job is a DB dev and I ran into this recently, I found a hosed up piece of code from 2002 that was assigning date boundaries improperly and when I proposed that I wanted to change it UI people poo poo their pants. Turned out that instead of requesting that the DB code be fixed, they had been writing garbage poo poo workarounds in JDBC for six years.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lmao yep sounds about right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you are not obligated to write SPs in pl/sql

oracle supports good languages, too

Apr 7, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lmao yep sounds about right

I had to set a root cause analysis meeting where I pointed out that the problem (which resulted in losing billing for certain periods) was related to the original PL/SQL code and that there was no point in writing Java workarounds when the originating code could be fixed relatively easily. That's really frustrating when you're talking to people who already know what they want and aren't interested in your solution.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you can propose a better way to pull in, process, and bill a bunch of static data every week, please let me know so that I can do better in the future.

rpg II was good enough for your dad

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rpg II was good enough for your dad

This isn't an answer to my question. COBOL was good enough for my dad and is still in use for many of my current processes, too.

Can you tell me why I shouldn't use PL/SQL for processing my data, or are you just spewing a bunch of poo poo?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Citizen Tayne posted:

I had to set a root cause analysis meeting where I pointed out that the problem (which resulted in losing billing for certain periods) was related to the original PL/SQL code and that there was no point in writing Java workarounds when the originating code could be fixed relatively easily. That's really frustrating when you're talking to people who already know what they want and aren't interested in your solution.

as long as you didn't succumb to "ok ok fine how about this, i'll fix it in the database, and create a view for you guys that keeps doing it in the old broken way, so you don't have to do your jobs at all"

Apr 7, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

as long as you didn't succumb to "ok ok fine how about this, i'll fix it in the database, and create a view for you guys that keeps doing it in the old broken way, so you don't have to do your jobs at all"

That approach is exactly why I had to have the meeting to begin with

This is not a racist statement, but our Java app team is entirely on-site Indian dudes who are incredibly insular and don't take well to interference or criticism, so when I said "You have to quit making gently caress-arounds in JDBC and account for a fix in the base system" I had an ungodly amount of push-back to work against.

Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

That approach is exactly why I had to have the meeting to begin with

This is not a racist statement, but our Java app team is entirely on-site Indian dudes who are incredibly insular and don't take well to interference or criticism, so when I said "You have to quit making gently caress-arounds in JDBC and account for a fix in the base system" I had an ungodly amount of push-back to work against.

This, btw, is what real software development work that solves actual problems is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
we just roll our eyes and talk poo poo about managers and sales people most of the time

Citizen Tayne posted:

This, btw, is what real software development work that solves actual problems is about.

• Locked thread