Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That's a pretty minor bug, to be honest. At least the ejection seat doesn't kill the pilot any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think at this point we're just going to have to deal with the F-35 and hope that after five or ten years of modification it resembles a workable strike aircraft.

If we weren't so deep into this clusterfuck, we could have concentrated on what the RAAF really needs - F-111 2: Brain Damage Boogaloo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Endman posted:

I think at this point we're just going to have to deal with the F-35 and hope that after five or ten years of modification it resembles a workable strike aircraft.

It won't ever be a workable strike aircraft. Other troubled aircraft have recovered from bad starts because the underlying design of the airframe was sound, only the systems on board were causing issues, and the airframes had room to grow through the problems and expand the capability of the plane. The F-35 is an unworkable compromise from the bottom up, with the design itself fundamentally flawed, and absolutely zero room to improve across a lifetime.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

What's the source for this, I want to share it

Seconded. Aside from the Simpsons references it's a great piece.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Heres your morning whiplash

quote:

Broadcaster Alan Jones says he opposes a plebiscite on same-sex marriage because it could be “angry and spiteful and divisive” and gay and lesbian Australians have suffered enough.

Jones said the plebiscite, estimated to cost $160m and take at least nine months’ preparation, was a waste of time and money, calling instead for a parliamentary vote.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
He announced his support for marriage equality a long time ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You don't have to be gay to support marriage equality, but in his case it probably helped.

Endman
May 18, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

It won't ever be a workable strike aircraft. Other troubled aircraft have recovered from bad starts because the underlying design of the airframe was sound, only the systems on board were causing issues, and the airframes had room to grow through the problems and expand the capability of the plane. The F-35 is an unworkable compromise from the bottom up, with the design itself fundamentally flawed, and absolutely zero room to improve across a lifetime.

If they can get it to turn it could be useful as a single use guided munition?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Was it Jones who changed his mind on marriage equality when he got a hard on when he met a transwoman? I guess good on him, I suppose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was it Jones who changed his mind on marriage equality when he got a hard on when he met a transwoman? I guess good on him, I suppose.

That was Warren Entsch, and I don't think it was that it changed his mind so much as gave him a reason to actually think about it consciously.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Rumor mill is saying a 3rd MP wants to resign from QLD Labor, potentially giving the LNP back government. Some media outlets are reporting an early election announcement this week in order to beat an incoming resignation announcement.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Amethyst posted:

He announced his support for marriage equality a long time ago.

It's more he's outright called on the government to stop wasting time, which is different from kicking the can down the road.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, Jones is gay and has been forever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Rumor mill is saying a 3rd MP wants to resign from QLD Labor, potentially giving the LNP back government. Some media outlets are reporting an early election announcement this week in order to beat an incoming resignation announcement.

Ready for premier Springborg?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

What's more dysfunctional, Federal Libs or Queensland Labs?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was Warren Entsch, and I don't think it was that it changed his mind so much as gave him a reason to actually think about it consciously.

Warren Entsch is an interesting character. He has fought for lgbti rights harder than just about anyone in the parliament. He has had family first go out its way to preference him last because of his attitudes to gays.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/meet-warren-entsch-queenslands-unlikely-but-vocal-lgbti-champion-20150528-ghbwdc.html

Warren Entsch was turned on.
The Coalition backbencher was then a 20-something stockman in far north Queensland and a girl at the local pub caught his eye
I saw this bird pass me in shorts and a boob tube," he says. "I said to the owner of the pub, 'Friggin' hell – who have you got here working for you? That's a good looking sheila. Where did she come from?'"
Advertisement

The stranger, it turned out, was not a stranger at all.

At the time Entsch was dating a local girl from Georgetown, 400 kilometres south-west of Cairns, and they would drink at the pub with her male cousin.

"After a few beers he would become very feminine with the other guys and would end up having a fight."
The cousin disappeared for a few months. Now Entsch discovered why: he had gone to Sydney to have a sex change operation. He returned as a woman and started work as a barmaid.

"That amazed me," Entsch says. "Imagine having the courage to do that."
It was the moment that set Entsch – dubbed a "progressive redneck" – on his path to become the Coalition's most passionate advocate for gay rights. A former crocodile hunter, grazier and RAAF serviceman, the 64-year old recognises he's the last person one would expect to find in that role.
Entsch's advocacy culminated this week when Prime Minister Tony Abbott asked him to deliver a private member's bill on same-sex marriage, co-sponsored by a Labor MP, for a vote later this year.

"The time has come," Entsch says, "to put this to the test."
Entsch's electorate, which runs from Cairns to Cape York, adjoins that of independent Bob Katter who famously said he would "walk backwards from Bourke to Brisbane" if a homosexual person could be found living in his seat.

Entsch, meanwhile, says gay people cannot be stereotyped by where they live or what they do. Two close friends – a retired pharmacist and public servant who have been in a relationship for more than 40 years – are gay.

He was thinking of such couples when he opposed John Howard's 2004 push (eventually backed by Labor) to amend the Marriage Act to explicitly state that marriage is between a man and a woman. His stance "shocked the whole party room", he says.

His long-running campaign to eliminate laws discriminating against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex Australians was spurred by getting to know a Special Air Service veteran who was gay. The man had depression and was worried his partner would not be able to access his superannuation if he died.
"I told that story to John Howard and it really surprised him," Entsch recalls.
"But he's SAS," Howard replied.
"I said, 'Yes Prime Minister, a person's courage is not determined by their sexual orientation.'"

He was elated in 2009 when both major parties voted to remove laws discriminating against people because of their sexuality in the treatment of tax, superannuation and social security. As he was when he co-launched a cross-party friendship group for LGBTI Australians.

"Transgender people were coming up to me in tears saying it was the first time they have felt comfortable coming into the Parliament of Australia," he says.
In recent years he has led a ginger group of Coalition politicians agitating for same-sex marriage.

"His role has been instrumental," says Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young. "He wants to see change happen and has worked hard to bring people along with him."

Entsch had long believed the ideal time to bring on a vote would be late in the Abbott government's second full year. On Monday, following the Irish referendum legalising same-sex marriage, he told Abbott the moment had arrived.
He is "quietly confident" the Liberal party room will support a conscience vote and says a vote in Parliament will be extremely close, with a good chance of success.

Advocating for gay rights so passionately has led many people to ask him if he is gay. "I say that I don't mind what they assume I am. My sexuality is frankly irrelevant."
(His wife, he says, has been a "rock solid" supporter of his advocacy.)

As life took him in other directions, Entsch lost touch with the barmaid from Georgetown. In 2006 – after speaking publicly about their friendship – he received a letter from her thanking him.
"You are the one who has shown true courage by your acceptance, tolerance and support not only now in the national arena but also all those years ago in the smaller but potentially more hostile arena of the 'Gulf Country' of 20 years ago," she wrote.
"For the sake of those families that differ in composition to the Prime Minister's ideal I hope you are successful in your campaign."
She finished by saying she had gone back to school, finished year 12, studied medicine at university and was now working as a doctor.
The two have since reconnected and the friends share a common interest promoting LGBTI awareness among doctors in rural areas.
"I love her to pieces, I'm very proud of her," he says. "I'd like to have half as much character as she does."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why are people resigning from Queensland Labor?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It always happens in either party. Some rural QLD MP just randomly decides to quit the party because "you fat cats in Brisbane are not representing the North!"

Campbell Newman had similar issues.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

open24hours posted:

Why are people resigning from Queensland Labor?

Because they campaigned on saving the reef and then turned around and approved adani. Oh also they got big donations from macquarie bank who are the ones negotiating the deal. Totally loving 99% of the state that relies either on the reef (food/tourism) or not living near a giant crater (life in general).

Basically everything gets dictated from the south east and the ALP accidentally ran candidates with consciences who want to represent their area instead. The relief of removing Newman has been replaced with the frustration that Anna P is no different.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This plus the lord mayor race makes for an exciting political hotspot.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Why do people think a majority government is Good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

especially in the state that trashed its senate

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

my stepdads beer posted:

People care about their team winning not the actual outcome.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to 'gulags'," the statement read. "[S]uggestions that detention involves a 'public numbing and indifference' similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of 'torture' are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters."

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

my stepdads beer posted:

There's a strong authoritarian streak in the Australian character.

Faffing around building a consensus on what the common good is, and the best way to achieve it? That takes time, effort, and sometimes you can't predict the end result, all of which are scary.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Extra special shoutout to QuantumMechanic on this one

https://twitter.com/DamienCWalker/status/707367102236090369

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

"Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to 'gulags'," the statement read. "[S]uggestions that detention involves a 'public numbing and indifference' similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of 'torture' are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters."

Already posted

Solemn Sloth posted:

Secretary of the department of Australia for Australians

Recent comparisons of immigration detention centres to ‘gulags’; suggestions that detention involves a “public numbing and indifference” similar to that allegedly experienced in Nazi Germany; and persistent suggestions that detention facilities are places of ‘torture’ are highly offensive, unwarranted and plainly wrong – and yet they continue to be made in some quarters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Extra special shoutout to QuantumMechanic on this one

https://twitter.com/DamienCWalker/status/707367102236090369

I expect to get blocked by her for retweeting that.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I expect to get blocked by her for retweeting that.

The shocking part of that statement is that you aren't already blocked by her. She's very militant about maintaining her echo chamber.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing this is why Border Fascists tried to get on the front foot:

Guardian Au posted:

Two offshore asylum seekers placed under suicide or self-harm watch every three days
Exclusive: Confidential health briefing obtained under freedom of information laws shows dramatic deterioration in mental health of people held on Nauru and Manus

Asylum seekers in offshore detention are being placed under surveillance for suicide and self-harm at a rate of two every three days, and growing more seriously mentally ill the longer they are detained, a new health briefing to the federal government shows.

Obtained under a freedom of information request by Guardian Australia, the latest report shows a dramatic deterioration in the mental health of asylum seekers held in offshore detention.

It warns that rates of mental illness are almost certainly higher than reported because people in offshore detention have given up going to see doctors, “feeling ... hopelessness and apathy ... relating to time in detention, lack of progress … and the perceived dangers of resettlement”.

Every three months, International Health and Medical Services (IHMS), the government’s immigration health services provider, prepares the report for the government on “health trends” in immigration detention.

A new statistic, added by IHMS for the past six months, shows the number of times asylum seekers are placed on “supportive monitoring and engagement” (SME), a process of monitoring by staff after an attempt or threat to self-harm or take their own life.

At its highest level, SME is an around-the-clock suicide watch, involving one-on-one monitoring of a person at close physical proximity 24 hours a day, even as they shower, sleep or go to the toilet. Asylum seekers report this regime is highly invasive and distressing.

In the six months between July and December of 2015, SME was initiated 124 times over 184 days in offshore detention, a rate of more than two every three days. Up to 66 individual people were placed on SME, meaning most made several separate attempts to self-harm or take their own life. Nearly 40 people were placed on the highest category suicide watch, known as “high/imminent”.

But the figure of self-harm attempts is likely to be even higher. Nauru’s transition to an “open centre” meant SME could not, legally, be applied for a period, meaning those who had committed self-harm or attempted to take their own life could not be fully monitored.

The latest figures are released as the medical fraternity in Australia continues to resist government impositions of mandatory offshore detention.

Last month doctors at Brisbane’s Lady Cilento hospital refused to discharge the Australian-born asylum seeker “baby Asha” until they were assured she would not be returned to Nauru, an environment they regarded as “unsafe”. The head of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Brian Owler, said offshore processing was “state-sanctioned child abuse” that was “pulling apart the moral fabric of the country”.

An asylum seeker on Nauru, whom Guardian Australia has chosen not to name, has attempted to take her own life numerous occasions over the past several months, and is now on 24-hour close watch.

She says she is given a cocktail of sedative drugs every day to stop her harming herself again. If she refuses to take the tablets given to her she is injected.

“I have problems mentally,” she told Guardian Australia. “I have tried for suicide many times, so I am on high watch. Someone is watching me all the time, everywhere, all the day and night. They give me lots of tablets, but they make me dizzy and feel sleepy. I say, ‘I don’t want to take,’ and they tell me, ‘If you don’t take, we will give injection.’

“I am very scary about what will happen to me. I have been here 26 months, but this place is terrible for me. I don’t have a future, I can’t think about the future.”

Over several reports, IHMS has consistently told the government that rates of anxiety, distress, and depression all increase the longer people are held in detention. Across the Australian immigration detention regime, onshore and offshore, the average time in detention is now 457 days, the highest it has ever been.

Based on the Kessler Psychological Distress Scale, known as the K10 scale, IHMS data shows 22.4% of asylum seekers rated as “severely” mentally distressed, and 19.4% moderately mentally distressed.

The rate of severe mental distress is more than six times that in the Australian community, which is 3.5% severe (8.5% moderate). But IHMS has warned the offshore detention rate is likely higher because severely distressed people are likely to refuse to take part in the K10 survey.

In its latest report, IHMS noted a correlation between length of stay in detention and mental health issues, and said the data clearly showed a “persisting trend for movement towards the severe end on the distress scale over time”.

IHMS also said accurately gauging mental health of asylum seekers was becoming increasingly difficult because of “detention fatigue”. All but one of offshore detainees have been in detention for more than 18 months, and fewer and fewer people are seeing doctors in both Nauru and Manus Island because they feel hopeless about their situation and, in some cases, are frightened about being resettled.

“On Nauru, a 32% reduction in consultations appears to be related to a reduction in transferee numbers, the establishment of a 24-hour, 7-day-per-week ‘open centre’ combined with an increase in feelings of hopelessness and apathy in some transferee cohorts,” IHMS wrote.

“On Manus Island, a 4% reduction in consultations reflects relative disengagement with health services associated with an increase in feelings of hopelessness and apathy … staff are also noting an increased level of hopelessness in this cohort relating to time in detention, lack of progress with and the perceived dangers of resettlement.”

The secretary of the immigration department, Michael Pezzullo, said on Tuesday that people in offshore immigration detention had access to mental health care that “broadly commensurates with Australian community standards”.

Many asylum seekers placed in detention had existing mental health issues from trauma suffered in their home country or on their journey to Australia, Pezzullo said.

“For this reason the department and its service providers support individuals with a range of specialist care options including mental health assessments and individualised care plans,” he said. “The department provides access to mental health nurses, counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists to individuals transferred to Australia for medical care.

“The Nauru and Manus regional processing centres both have mental health care staff onsite, including mental health nurses, counsellors, torture and trauma counsellors, psychologists and a psychiatrist. There are also additional mental health care staff based at the Nauru Settlement clinic.”

Michael Pezzullo is worth the extra expense and effort of firing the rocket into the sun rather than just into the sea.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wouldn't it be funny if the coalition moved to on shore processing before the ALP did in some crazy election manoeuvre.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe that's why they're taking back Norfolk Island.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

New Matilda posted:

ANALYSIS: Unemployed and underemployed Australians can be issued with on-the-spot fines by privately owned job agencies under a tough new Government proposal, writes Owen Bennett.

Later this month the Turnbull Government will be asking the Senate to support one of the most devastating attacks launched against poor and vulnerable Australians in recent memory.

The Bill – entitled Social Security Legislation Amendment (Further Strengthening Job Seeker Compliance) Bill 2015 – proposes to give privately run job agencies unprecedented new powers to financially penalise unemployed and underemployed Australians. If passed, the fines will come into effect on July 1 this year.

Under the proposal, Australians receiving the dole can be fined 10 per cent of their income support – increasing by 10 per cent each day until they ‘re-engage’ – if they:

Fail to sign a job plan at their first job agency appointment; or
Are found by their job agency to have behaved inappropriately at an appointment (“inappropriate behaviour” is defined as acting in a manner “such that the purpose of the appointment is not achieved”); or
Fail to attend a Work for the Dole or Training exercise without an excuse deemed reasonable by the job agency.

All fines (roughly $55) will be deducted immediately. Unemployed Australians who feel they have been unfairly fined will be required to go through Centrelink’s arduous appeals process to get their money back – a procedure that can take up to four months.

This means that even if an unemployed worker successfully appeals against a fine – and thousands do every year – they will still be forced to endure up to four months without a significant portion of their income support.

As privately run job agencies can effectively impose these financial penalties on unemployed workers before having to provide any concrete proof, the Coalition’s proposal gives privately-owned job agencies the power of life and death over unemployed workers.

Theres more, but that about covers the gist of it. https://newmatilda.com/2016/03/05/malcolm-turnbull-escalates-his-war-on-the-poor-and-unemployed/

One step closer to success in the LNP "hurry up and die" approach to unemployment

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Oh you were late to your appointment coz you had to walk coz you cant afford a bus ticket this week? lol good luck for the next X months living on even less! Thatll get you employed! See ya next week.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
do the fines go to the Job Agency in question? if so laffo, can't see that going wrong.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

do the fines go to the Job Agency in question? if so laffo, can't see that going wrong.

The job agency should be fined that amount for failing to do their jobs properly. That's how private business works, right, they take on the responsibility for their own failings?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's how private business works, right, they take on the responsibility for their own failings?

Only for the pleb tier businesses that can't lobby the government for a bailout or some favourable legislation.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Oh you were late to your appointment coz you had to walk coz you cant afford a bus ticket this week? lol good luck for the next X months living on even less! Thatll get you employed! See ya next week.

I was on newstart for 2 weeks many years ago and they gave me 2 free smartriders for going to job appointments etc. even though I told them I didn't need them.

Not saying this isn't a terrible idea, but what should happen if someone is abusive/doesn't show up to appointments?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MonoAus posted:

Not saying this isn't a terrible idea, but what should happen if someone is abusive/doesn't show up to appointments?

Nothing. The system is designed to harass job seekers, not help them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MonoAus posted:

The punishment for not showing up to appointments is to continue to be treated like a piece of poo poo on the shoe of Centrelink, you don't need extra kicks in the gut on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I'm not really sure I understand.

Don't get me wrong, Centrelink sucks, but why is it harassment to expect people to turn up to appointments unless they have a valid reason to not be there?

edit:

I remember having to jump through a lot of hoops for my measly $140 a fortnight, but most of it seemed to be designed to force me to get a job. I can't really fault them there.

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread