Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tea Bone posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask as it's not strictly bread, but it's still baking.
I tried making some Cinnamon rolls this weekend, they came out okay, but the edges turned hard and crusty. Is there anything I should be adding to the recipe to keep the edges soft?

This is the recipe I followed: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4727/clone-of-a-cinnabon.aspx

Cook at a lower temp for a longer period p'haps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Tea Bone posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask as it's not strictly bread, but it's still baking.
I tried making some Cinnamon rolls this weekend, they came out okay, but the edges turned hard and crusty. Is there anything I should be adding to the recipe to keep the edges soft?

This is the recipe I followed: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4727/clone-of-a-cinnabon.aspx

If your oven has a fan, use it just to even out the temperature after you first put them in, like 30 seconds, and then switch it off. Your fan is drying the poo poo out of your rolls.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If your oven has a fan, use it just to even out the temperature after you first put them in, like 30 seconds, and then switch it off. Your fan is drying the poo poo out of your rolls.

Ah that's probably it, I have a super powerful fan in my oven. I'll also give it a go at a lower temperature like Cimber said. Thanks guys.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, I just got done with my 'make it up as i go along' bread, and goddamn did it come out nicely.

2 cups hot water
2 packets yeast
1/4th cup sugar.
1/3rd cup veg oil.

Mix together, let yeast activate. After 10 minutes add:
2 cups king arthur white flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt

Mix together well, let the sponge sit for 30 minutes.
Add 1 cup whole wheat flour, and enough white flour to make a ball

Knead for 5 minutes, let rest 5 minutes, knead another 5 minutes

Let rise 2 hours under a damp cloth. Punch down. Let rise another 2-3 hours again.

Here i diverted from my intentions. I was going to make two loaves, but i decided fuckit, i want to make round breads.

remove from rising bowl, divide into four balls. One ball i rolled out into a tube, the others i left as balls. Placed on greased baking sheets. Let rise another 1.5 hours

Heat oven to 475 with an empty pan at the bottom. Once oven is at temp add 2 cups Ice to empty pan to generate steam. Immediately add bread and cook for 20 minutes.
One set of bread i removed immediately, which made the crust soft. the other two i left in the oven after the 20 minutes for another 10 with the oven turned off. They are in the back, and have a much crunchier crust.

Great success!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So i wanted to try making this bread... thing. The recipe calls for instant yeast, which i could not find at my local grocery store. They had active dry yeast, and fast rise active dry yeast. I bought the fast rise because it made sense in my mind, but now I'm not sure. What the hell is the difference between the three? Do I need to make a special trip to Wegman's (please say no, gently caress that place) or order some instant yeast online?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

foxatee posted:

So i wanted to try making this bread... thing. The recipe calls for instant yeast, which i could not find at my local grocery store. They had active dry yeast, and fast rise active dry yeast. I bought the fast rise because it made sense in my mind, but now I'm not sure. What the hell is the difference between the three? Do I need to make a special trip to Wegman's (please say no, gently caress that place) or order some instant yeast online?

You're fine. Just use what you've got. Yeast labeling is annoying but what you have is for all practical purposes instant yeast.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

foxatee posted:

Wegman's (please say no, gently caress that place)

Whoah, hold on there Hitler

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Ishamael posted:

Whoah, hold on there Hitler

The place itself is rad as gently caress, don't get me wrong. But the only time I can make a trip is on weekends. Have you been on a weekend? gently caress that. It's like trying to get to the mall on the last shopping weekend at Christmas. So I'd rather avoid going for one ingredient.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I hate to double post, but I'm confused. I've never made a bread anything, so I'm not sure how to read this recipe. As I mentioned before, it calls for instant yeast (which I failed to get. I have this fast rise yeast) and says, "Combine flour, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer." Then I'm to add the milk. From what I've read, I'm suppose to dissolve the yeast in water and sugar before adding it to the flour, right? So am I supposed to do that here, as well? Or is the addition of the milk to the flour mixture going to activate the yeast? I assume the latter, but wanted to be sure since I'm not using instant yeast.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

foxatee posted:

I hate to double post, but I'm confused. I've never made a bread anything, so I'm not sure how to read this recipe. As I mentioned before, it calls for instant yeast (which I failed to get. I have this fast rise yeast) and says, "Combine flour, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer." Then I'm to add the milk. From what I've read, I'm suppose to dissolve the yeast in water and sugar before adding it to the flour, right? So am I supposed to do that here, as well? Or is the addition of the milk to the flour mixture going to activate the yeast? I assume the latter, but wanted to be sure since I'm not using instant yeast.

Follow the directions. Dissolving the yeast in water with sugar is not always necessary. Put the dry ingredients together, mix, then add the wet as told. Don't worry too much about it, the leeway in bread making is enough you'll be fine.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

foxatee posted:

It's really not a huge issue. The point of instant yeast is the granules are small enough to dissolve in dough fairly readily. If you "wake up" the yeast by mixing it in with some sugar and water and leaving it until it goes frothy, your first rise won't usually take as long. It's considered a good practice but it's not necessary. If you're worried about your yeast, mixing it with some water and sugar first should ease your mind. When you're just trying to make a loaf of bread, short of pouring boiling water on your yeast or leaving it out all together, it's hard to mess up too badly.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

foxatee posted:

The place itself is rad as gently caress, don't get me wrong. But the only time I can make a trip is on weekends. Have you been on a weekend? gently caress that. It's like trying to get to the mall on the last shopping weekend at Christmas. So I'd rather avoid going for one ingredient.

OK, I will retract my Godwin. :godwin:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Unless you demand a dough that rises right now, you can basically make bread with any amount of yeast in any condition. Don't stress it, just let it rise longer and warmer.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

First soda bread test worked pretty well, it is a sticky dough and really just did the bare minimum of mixing so the crust is not the most aesthetically pleasing. Pretty happy with the flavour too, it will go well with some Irish stew and Guinness.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Premature ejacula- posted:

First soda bread test worked pretty well, it is a sticky dough and really just did the bare minimum of mixing so the crust is not the most aesthetically pleasing. Pretty happy with the flavour too, it will go well with some Irish stew and Guinness.

What the heck do you mean? That crust is so purdy :3: Looks like a big 'ol biscut dun growd up

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

The bread turned out pretty well in the end, thanks for the link to that article therattle.

I think I'll start baking more, maybe even get another sourdough starter going.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Do quick breads count?

Also some no-knead goodness.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Hooray for quickbreads! (I could've sworn we had a separate thread. Must be long gone.)

Gouda, manchego, sage, and black pepper drop scones. 35 minutes from walking into the kitchen and walking out with a fresh batch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Soda bread is a quick bread, so of course! We aren't dogmatic here. Those all look great.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:allears:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

angor posted:

Hooray for quickbreads! (I could've sworn we had a separate thread. Must be long gone.)

Gouda, manchego, sage, and black pepper drop scones. 35 minutes from walking into the kitchen and walking out with a fresh batch.

I want to stuff myself with those. Care to share the recipe?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
So I made a poolish a couple days ago and let it ferment at room temperature for eight hours, then moved it to the fridge for two days. Now I've been called out if town until Tuesday for a family emergency. Will that poolish be useable at all when I return?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

bartlebee posted:

So I made a poolish a couple days ago and let it ferment at room temperature for eight hours, then moved it to the fridge for two days. Now I've been called out if town until Tuesday for a family emergency. Will that poolish be useable at all when I return?

Should be. Might take a little longer to get going but should be.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

angor posted:

Drop biscuits are the beeeessstttt. I've gone from zero to hero in the span of 40 minutes by saving a southern chicken dinner with quick thinking and old bay cheddar drop biscuits. The biscuts that were supposed to be part of the meal had been tragically burnt. "Aint never tasted anything so fine done up by a yankee. The soufs been kind to ya girl" - A 75 year old florida cracker grandma.

AND MY REDNECK GREW TEN SIZES THAT DAY

Cimber posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/quick-easy-drop-biscuits-recipe.html, except I'm usually making quadruple, but what I do is I cut out a quarter of the butter, and replace it cheese2:1butter with whatever cheese I'm using (cheddar usually), and work it in with the butter. The spice (old bay, whatever's good) is worked into the 'dough' at this point as well. Once the biscuits are formed into tablespoon sized drops, I put another pinch of grated cheese on top, and dust with sweet paprika. It owns.

Suffice to say, these are not healthy. But drat are they tasty.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 19, 2016

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

foxatee posted:

I'm a little late, but is one of these what you bought?

Because if so, both of those are just commercial names for instant yeast.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Should be. Might take a little longer to get going but should be.

I'll find out on Tuesday and post the post-mortem. That's a little "death in the family" humor for y'all. But seriously, I'll post the bread. My first couple french loaves turned out pretty good. Thanks to Goons with Spoons for the continuing inspiration to try new recipes, like baller homemade bread.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

slowbread supremacy!

70% whole wheat levain bread w/ dates and coriander seed~

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Goatfather posted:

slowbread supremacy!

Goddamn that looks amazing

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Cimber posted:

Sure!

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
60g butter (cube and chill in fridge)
1 cup of water
1-2 cups of sharp cheddar (or any cheese)
Small handful of torn sage leaves (can substitute any fresh herb i.e. rosemary, basil, etc.)
Lots of fresh cracked pepper

Massage butter into flour (or pulse with food processor)
Mix all other ingredients with flour until combined.
Drop on parchment paper in 6-8 dollops and bake for 12-14 min @ 200C

You can basically flavour these however you want. I might do chipotle and cotija ones this week.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Goatfather posted:

slowbread supremacy!

W@W L@@K

That really does look amazing. When you say 70% do you mean hydration, or 70% whole wheat? If the latter, what was the remaining 30%?

Recipe please.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Midniter posted:

W@W L@@K

That really does look amazing. When you say 70% do you mean hydration, or 70% whole wheat? If the latter, what was the remaining 30%?

Recipe please.

70% whole wheat flour/30% all purpose flour. I feel weird just calling it whole wheat bread because it's not 100% whole wheat. Hydration is a bit upward of 80%

It's a riff off of the Tartine Bread whole-wheat raisin and coriander recipe but I substituted 500g of coarsely chopped dates for the raisins. Here's a reprint of the basic Tartine country bread recipe: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

The whole-wheat bread is the same, just with the 70:30 flour blend, 80% hydration and a 1-2 hour autolyse. I added 500g of chopped dates (the original recipe calls for raisins) and 1Tbs of crushed toasted coriander seeds after the second turn (also I wait to add the starter until after the autolyse when i add the salt).

The original recipe always results in a much closer crumb for me, but I've been feeding my starter with substantially warmer water than Tartine recommends (85-90C instead of 75) for the other breads I've been baking lately (the overnight levain breads from Flour Water Salt Yeast). This results in more yeast, less bacteria, and overall more gas from yeast and less sour flavors. For this bread I used the warmer levain as soon as it passed the float test, with a 5 hour bulk ferment in a warm oven (nearly doubling the volume) followed by an overnight proof in the refrigerator. The result was a much more open crumb, pleasantly surprising oven spring, and just a hint of sour that compliments the other flavors well. I think I'll throw in some pecans next time~

e: also just to shill, I was making scrub tier bread until my sister gave me these 2 books for xmas:
http://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Bread-Chad-Robertson/dp/0811870413/
http://www.amazon.com/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Fundamentals/dp/160774273X/
and they've really upped my bread game.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 21, 2016

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
drat that date loaf looks good af.

Here's some poo poo from the past couple of months I've made:

Soda bread and sourdough from boiled dinner last night. Cheese and salami were scrub tier

Mini brioche for Valentine's day. Rolls were like 20g of dough or something tiny

Jalapeno cheddar sourdough for the superbowl. The cheddar melting against the sides of the dutch oven is probably the best loving smelling thing ever

1kg sourdough loaves for friends at a holiday dinner

Some sourdough for an xmas party

Cranberry walnut sourdough for xmas dinner

Been baking bread for prob 5 years or so. I started with Lahey's no knead and perfected that after a couple months. Got a stand mixer and started making enriched breads from BBA. Got a sourdough culture going about 3 years ago and it's still going strong today. I'll still use commercial yeast for enriched sandwich loaves and poo poo but I mostly just make sourdough. I like using KAF's high protein flours like Lancelot and Galahead, try to pick up a 50lb bag when I visit Vermont every couple of months. My local Costco sells 25lb KAF AP flour too for < $15

Usually leave the starter in the fridge and feed it once a week unless I know I'm going to be baking that weekend, I'll usually try and take it out and feed it daily a few days in advance and try to make a batch of pre-ferment.

edit -- album w/ more http://imgur.com/a/WKFVf

mmartinx fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 21, 2016

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I posted a little while ago about not being able to get a soft enough edge on cinnamon rolls. It was suggested I turn the fan off in my oven and cook for longer at a lower heat. I tried that and while it was slightly better it still wasn't as soft as I wanted.

Today I made pretzels, and the edge on them came out precisely how I wanted it on my cinnamon rolls, the only thing that differed majorly in the dough recipe was I dipped the pretzel dough in a solution of baking soda and water before baking. Just hoping someone could explain to me the science behind why this gives a softer edge? Is it just the moisture from the water or is it something to do with the baking soda?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

angor posted:

Sure!

<snip>

You sir are a god among men.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Made a small no knead today

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
I am looking for some troubleshooting help. I have been working on making sourdough bread, but the texture is coming out overly dense and tough. The crust can be very hard in parts, with the inside a bit too compressed and not quite gooey, but certainly not fluffy. I am working with a self-made starter (made over the course of a week), and following this recipe http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367

All that said, the taste is amazingly good.

Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My guess is that you're overhandling the dough. Try not to deflate it during the folds and when shaping be quick and decisive.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Did you say that your starter is only a week old? That's probably the problem. The starter is still much weaker than it needs to be to fully rise a loaf of bread. Some things you can try to increase the starter activity and give it a boost:

- Feed it 2-3 times a day
- Feed it 50%+ rye flour or other whole grain flour
- Keep it in a warmer place, if possible

You should also consider increasing your bulk fermentation times until it gets up to speed. For instance, mix your dough in the morning and let it sit out in a warm place all day, then bake at night, or you could also mix the dough and then put it in the fridge for 2-3 days.

Any and all of those things should help your young starter get going, just pay attention to the dough and start cutting down your feedings and fermentation times as the starter strengthens. Although for me it wasn't until I had a string of totally overproofed loaves before I got the memo and realized that the starter was all growed up. Still, that knowledge made those disaster loaves easier to swallow.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

If your starter can't easily double or even triple in volume within 6ish hours on the counter, it's not ready to make bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
Thanks all, I'll keeping working on that starter, and maybe lengthen proofing/resting times!