Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Guy comes around with a guitar I built for him 3 years ago. He's replaced the nice Wilkinson tuners with lovely no-shame grover copies (he also redrilled the headstock with a hand-drill so all the tuners rattle), he's undone the control plate and done a HORRIBLE job re-wiring for.... Some reason.,It's the same layout as what I put in, but with 10 times the solder. He's also managed to lose all the screws and he's replaced them with over-sized wood screws.

I am sad.

welcome back WDE.

I'm so bad at soldering, my neck pup switch solder point is just getting silly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

sout posted:

welcome back WDE.

I'm so bad at soldering, my neck pup switch solder point is just getting silly now.

Haha, amazed I was missed!

I want to give a bit shout out to BigHustle for not sending me turd in the post as the poor bugger has been waiting ages for his guitar, I've been having horrible trouble with the finish, should hopefully be sorted soon.

Anyone got any idea what happened to the guy who wanted the GBScaster? He stopped replying to my emails/PM's. I now have this horrible guitar sitting in my living room that people keep pawing over/avoiding eye-contact with.

For content, here's a facebook friends' pickup testing rig;

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

White Dog Eggs posted:

Guy comes around with a guitar I built for him 3 years ago. He's replaced the nice Wilkinson tuners with lovely no-shame grover copies (he also redrilled the headstock with a hand-drill so all the tuners rattle), he's undone the control plate and done a HORRIBLE job re-wiring for.... Some reason.,It's the same layout as what I put in, but with 10 times the solder. He's also managed to lose all the screws and he's replaced them with over-sized wood screws.

I am sad.

Sounds like he's getting some great custom tones.

I got an ibanez s420 off a guy dirt cheap because he said that the pickup selector swtich needed to be replaced, but that he had fixed everything else. The thing was barely audible but I figured I could fix this guys fuckups and get a cheap guitar.

The mess inside the wiring cavity was horrific. Everything was spattered with solder, I went through two rolls of wick cleaning it up. There were different guages of wire, all of it red, none of it trimmed to length. Eventually I got it playing again but holy gently caress it was tedious. Decent guitar at the end of the day but I won't ever buy anything that's been modified again.

Guitar players think 1/4 inch mono plugs are perfect electrical connectors, so imagine someone like that with a 60 watt radio shack iron and a big roll of plumbers solder.

In this guys case I have no idea what he was even trying to do, everything in there was stock ibanez parts. He probably saw some goofy coil split mod on a forum or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

reallivedinosaur posted:

Sounds like he's getting some great custom tones.

I got an ibanez s420 off a guy dirt cheap because he said that the pickup selector swtich needed to be replaced, but that he had fixed everything else. The thing was barely audible but I figured I could fix this guys fuckups and get a cheap guitar.

The mess inside the wiring cavity was horrific. Everything was spattered with solder, I went through two rolls of wick cleaning it up. There were different guages of wire, all of it red, none of it trimmed to length. Eventually I got it playing again but holy gently caress it was tedious. Decent guitar at the end of the day but I won't ever buy anything that's been modified again.

Guitar players think 1/4 inch mono plugs are perfect electrical connectors, so imagine someone like that with a 60 watt radio shack iron and a big roll of plumbers solder.

In this guys case I have no idea what he was even trying to do, everything in there was stock ibanez parts. He probably saw some goofy coil split mod on a forum or something.

I did that once :smith:

I got better at soldering though!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

reallivedinosaur posted:

Holy gently caress I would have trashed everything, bar the pickups and harder to get parts, in there and started from scratch.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

For content, here's a facebook friends' pickup testing rig;

Is that basically three boards glued together, quickly carved to guitar-ish shape, and spray painted? If so, that's more work than I've ever seen someone put into a test rig.

Welcome back btw!

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

Haha, amazed I was missed!

I want to give a bit shout out to BigHustle for not sending me turd in the post as the poor bugger has been waiting ages for his guitar, I've been having horrible trouble with the finish, should hopefully be sorted soon.

Anyone got any idea what happened to the guy who wanted the GBScaster? He stopped replying to my emails/PM's. I now have this horrible guitar sitting in my living room that people keep pawing over/avoiding eye-contact with.

I'm back around if you want to give the Station Wag-guitar another go

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just got a string adapter installed onto my Steinberger and now the action is a little low so I get a good amount of fret buzzing; how the hell do I even adjust the action on this thing?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do you not have a zero fret? I don't recall exactly how Steinbergers handle that part.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I do, is that supposed to stop it? It seems like I can only notice it when I'm not plugged in, which is weird. v:shobon:v

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I can't remember which Steinberger you have but their website does have this thing so check that out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

s.i.r.e. posted:

I do, is that supposed to stop it? It seems like I can only notice it when I'm not plugged in, which is weird. v:shobon:v

That just means that it's not the height of the strings at the zero fret most likely. Check your neck relief. If that seems fine, just adjust the saddle height a little bit.

Did you change string gauges?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

s.i.r.e. posted:

You play harder when you aren't plugged in. I have my Jackson set really low and it's hardly playable acoustically.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If you can't hear fretbuzz when playing through an amp you have no fretbuzz. Sure you can feel it but nobody else will care and it just means you've got low action.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alright, cool, thanks goons. I've never had my action his low so it was strange that everything buzzed until I plugged it in.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Could this guy be sporting a less appropriate guitar?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh it's mirrored. I'm on my phone and at first thought it was an anime on his guitar.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh it's mirrored. I'm on my phone and at first thought it was an anime on his guitar.

I think it's acrylic and not mirrored.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I can't tell what it is, but it's definitely not mirrored; you can tell by the license plate. e: Oh, I thought mirrored as in flipped, not mirrored as in chromed, so I was confused.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 5, 2016

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mirrored or not, what kind of UK/Brit "anthem" do you play on a shredbox like that?

Surely a nice Rick or 335 would be better.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Chrpno posted:

Mirrored or not, what kind of UK/Brit "anthem" do you play on a shredbox like that?

Surely a nice Rick or 335 would be better.

Hills of Dover and nothing else

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's definitely an acrylic guitar unless he has a perfectly painted section of a white necktie painted onto the front of it that happens to exactly match up with the actual white necktie he's wearing.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

GreatGreen posted:

unless he has a perfectly painted section of a white necktie painted onto the front of it that happens to exactly match up with the actual white necktie he's wearing.

He better not be infringing my copywritten design!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Fair Hallion posted:

yo dawg etc etc

I'm not a bassist, that's what's so insane about this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spanish Manlove posted:

its a clear acrylic faustus special

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

its a clear acrylic faustus special

I thought it was one of the knock-off Jems you can order in from China

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

marshall mathers posted:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Ka0 posted:

I'm not a bassist, that's what's so insane about this.

Okay, I think my neighbors think I'm insane. I laughed WAAAAAAY too hard at this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my neighbor is connected and tours the world as a tech for Steve Vai, Dweezil Zappa and a couple others. I asked him to put in some new pick-ups on the Steinberger and he offered to get me pair of "Humbuckers from Hell" for dirt cheap or even free from a contact. Apparently they were Vai's back-ups in case he needed them, Anyone use these things? From what I see on YouTube they kinda sound like rear end and not really the tone I'm looking for, maybe that's just lovely players on YouTube though.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

woodch posted:

I laughed WAAAAAAY too hard at this

me too

s.i.r.e. posted:

So my neighbor is connected and tours the world as a tech for Steve Vai, Dweezil Zappa and a couple others. I asked him to put in some new pick-ups on the Steinberger and he offered to get me pair of "Humbuckers from Hell" for dirt cheap or even free from a contact. Apparently they were Vai's back-ups in case he needed them, Anyone use these things? From what I see on YouTube they kinda sound like rear end and not really the tone I'm looking for, maybe that's just lovely players on YouTube though.

for reals? I thought Vai used Evos though (but I do not follow his gear or career in any actual sense)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're good pickups and really trebly. Vai does have them on one of his guitars, I think, but like all of his guitars have different pickups

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fair Hallion posted:

me too

for reals? I thought Vai used Evos though (but I do not follow his gear or career in any actual sense)

He uses Jems and Universes (7 string) mainly and his main guitar is named evo.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Oh ok. I thought his pickups were "Evolutions" and "Evo 2"s, is what I meant.

He can call his guitar "Evo" all he wants. It's correct full name is obviously Sir Shreddley Monkeygrip Dickhole Widdlington.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
his most recent dimarzio signature pickups are the gravity storms so he's probably using those a bit

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fair Hallion posted:

Oh ok. I thought his pickups were "Evolutions" and "Evo 2"s, is what I meant.

He can call his guitar "Evo" all he wants. It's correct full name is obviously Sir Shreddley Monkeygrip Dickhole Widdlington.

He just plays classic rock blues dad stuff now, and does those Guitar Hero world tours with Satriani and Petrucci and Zakk Wylde or whoever.

I fell asleep watching somthing on youtube and woke up in the middle of one of those concerts and they were doing "Girl You Really Got Me Going" and it sounded like any lovely local bar band. It was totally embarassing.

Satriani is in that horrible Chickenfoot band.

They should have moved to Japan with Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert, like how Frodo and Bilbo went to magical elf land

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The last time I saw Vai in concert was in like the first year of Zappa Plays Zappa, when Dweezil had the group of a bunch of people who played with Frank back in the day. A bunch of cool people and the show was pretty neat, but I saw ZPZ again with the small group back in October and I think it's actually better this way :shobon:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

reallivedinosaur posted:

Satriani is in that horrible Chickenfoot band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5vLzE21fRY

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

That's how I heard of Chickenfoot and I thought it was a made up band for that ATHF episode then I found out the bass player from Van Halen really did form a lovely bluesdad band and Joe Satriani was in it.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

You'd think that something called the "Humbucker from HELL" would be called that because it's AWESOME and sounds KICKASS, but nope, it's called that because it's painfully trebly and will slice your head off with its top end, all at PAF output level. Even the DiMarzio page is non-committal, they're like "ehh give it a go if you want".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I feel like the difference between every pickup set I look at from dimarzio or EMG is just which celebrity guitarist I want to donate :10bux: to.

How different can all those signature 81/85 sets really be?

• Locked thread