Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My CEO/boss meeting went bi-weekly after the first one.

I last met with them around April of last year. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What the gently caress is with these passive aggressive suggestions? :psyduck:

Talk to him like a loving adult and tell him that he's constantly late and it's unacceptable. Holy poo poo goons. :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

Talk to him like a loving adult and tell him that he's constantly late and it's unacceptable. Holy poo poo goons. :negative:

Goons, I can agree to be an adult and simply talk to your boss about it. Saying that, don't tell your bosses that its unacceptable to be late to meetings. :psyduck:

Jesus Christ.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 8, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
"I've got a boss who doesn't care about meetings"

Well, I have a penis that is too large. Are we sharing sympathies?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey boss, I get that you sometimes have poo poo going on around our meeting time. Maybe we can aim for a window of time during which I'll make myself available when you are ready as opposed to a fixed start time?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sickening posted:

Goons, I can agree to be an adult and simply talk to your boss about. Saying that, don't tell your bosses that its unacceptable to be late to meetings. :psyduck:

Jesus Christ.

I have before. It was even the CEO. If your boss can't handle constructive criticism of bad behaviors, then it's time to get a new boss.

I would say something along the lines of: Hey; we have a meeting planned at 1:30 every day and you seem to be late every day. Is there another time this would work out better for you?

If he answers no:

Then please be on time for them, being late wouldn't be acceptable for me, it shouldn't be for you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's your boss. Bend over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I have before. It was even the CEO. If your boss can't handle constructive criticism of bad behaviors, then it's time to get a new boss.

I would say something along the lines of: Hey; we have a meeting planned at 1:30 every day and you seem to be late every day. Is there another time this would work out better for you?

If he answers no:

Then please be on time for them, being late wouldn't be acceptable for me, it shouldn't be for you.

Although this one is less in your face, its still not your place to tell your boss to not be late to anything. I am all for having a spine, but this is borderline insubordination.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Maybe don't tell your boss that missing meetings is unacceptable.

Definitely don't be a passive aggressive prick to your boss.

When he says "so are we meeting or not?" probably just tell him "Oh sorry, I dropped by your desk and waited for a bit but you didn't show so I figured you were busy and we weren't meeting today". Polite, not passive aggressive, and gets the point across.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sickening posted:

Although this one is less in your face, its still not your place to tell your boss to not be late to anything. I am all for having a spine, but this is borderline insubordination.

Oh, I work in a place where constructive criticism isn't considered insubordination and we are all professional.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, I work in a place where constructive criticism isn't considered insubordination and we are all professional.

All the power to you and I am glad you can talk so candidly with your boss about his timeliness. This is however how this conversation started.

ratbert90 posted:

This isn't constructive criticism.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 8, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think I've decided after this ERP implementation I want to go back to a technical role and get out of the this management bullshit. Ugh.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Are you hiring

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Are you hiring

West Michigan/Holland; We need a 1099 programmer that's competent in php/Python/Linux with a tiny bit of C. Asterisk experience is a huge plus.

The job would be for at least 2 years and there's a 90% chance you would be moved to w2.

Edit* We are looking at full time@60$/hr.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 9, 2016

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

West Michigan/Holland; We need a 1099 programmer that's competent in php/Python/Linux with a tiny bit of C. Asterisk experience is a huge plus.

The job would be for at least 2 years and there's a 90% chance you would be moved to w2.

Edit* We are looking at full time@60$/hr.

Not a programmer, but jumping in to say that's boat money in west Michigan. One of my good friends just bought a ~1700 sqft house just outside Holland for $55k.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My boss/owner at my consulting gig didn't know how time worked.

• once, I stood outside waiting for him to pick me up at 130. I speak to him on the phone at 1:20, and he says he's just a few blocks away and will arrive in five minutes. A half hour later, he calls me to say he's ten minutes away. An hour later he calls me to say he hasn't left yet and isn't coming. I'm still not sure how he was five blocks and five minutes away if he wasn't coming.
  • multiple times I went to a sales meeting with a large client, I was acting as sales engineer, and had all the demo equipment with me, so I show up a half hour early, get setup with an elaborate demo. He tells me he'll be five minutes late. The potential client and his people are waiting with me, he calls a half hour later telling me he won't be arriving, and that I need to do the demo and pitch, the clients laugh and pretty much just leave. Later he yells at me for losing the sale
  • he sent me an another guy to a client to do a router and switch switch out after business hours. He tells me not to do anything until he arrives, since he wants to show us the right way to do it. Again, I'll be up in five minutes. We wait four hours. Finally at 10pm we just do it ourselves, since it's just switching out four cables and a switch. We go downstairs and he's already gone home.
  • I used to drive in to work with him. I was asked to arrive at his house at 6am. I get there, and he's still asleep. I call, he gets mad that his kids are asleep and he'll wake them up. Later, just let myself into his house, and him and his wife still sleeping. Numerous times I made his kids breakfast, and drove them to school and then came home to find him just waking up.
  • he asked me (at 4pm) to go to NJ, from NYC, pick up a u-haul, and go back into manhattan, and pick up some desks from a client. What he meant was leave the truck double parked, disassemble some cubicles, move them to the office, assemble them, and then drop off the truck, drive his car back in, pick him up and go home. His estimate on the time required for this task "You should be home by 6pm, 7 at the latest."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How does somebody like that retain any clients at all??

Pulling that poo poo on you and coworkers is abhorrent, but one slip up like that to a client would ruin the relationship. I can understand he was probably a really busy guy that was overworked but poo poo, tell the wrong person you'll be there in 5 minutes and then just go home and your business is done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm never taking care of a co-worker's kids. gently caress that, I'm out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

• I used to drive in to work with him. I was asked to arrive at his house at 6am. I get there, and he's still asleep. I call, he gets mad that his kids are asleep and he'll wake them up. Later, just let myself into his house, and him and his wife still sleeping. Numerous times I made his kids breakfast, and drove them to school and then came home to find him just waking up.

Ahh the joys of working for a small family-owned company.

Bob, can you bring me my laptop?

Uhh....sure. Are you at home?

No I just landed at the airport. Can you bring me back to the office? That's where I left my car. I'll fill your tank up with gas.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm never taking care of a co-worker's kids. gently caress that, I'm out.

Understandable, we were friends from outside work, that's how I got the job, so I was already welcome in his home and friends with his kids before I started working with him, but the relationship became very one-sided and pretty abusive.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How does somebody like that retain any clients at all??

Pulling that poo poo on you and coworkers is abhorrent, but one slip up like that to a client would ruin the relationship. I can understand he was probably a really busy guy that was overworked but poo poo, tell the wrong person you'll be there in 5 minutes and then just go home and your business is done.

We didn't. It was horrible. I'd go to a new client (which they were really good at acquiring) and I'd pause outside the office, to take a minute and reflect on how in two weeks I'd be here being screamed at by them once things inevitably went badly.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

• once, I stood outside waiting for him to pick me up at 130. I speak to him on the phone at 1:20, and he says he's just a few blocks away and will arrive in five minutes. A half hour later, he calls me to say he's ten minutes away. An hour later he calls me to say he hasn't left yet and isn't coming. I'm still not sure how he was five blocks and five minutes away if he wasn't coming.
    me required for this task "You should be home by 6pm, 7 at the latest."

This really reminds me of that "two minutes, Turkish" scene from Snatch for some reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This really reminds me of that "two minutes, Turkish" scene from Snatch for some reason.

Oh, I made that joke a lot. I never called him out on it, because at the time I was living paycheck to paycheck and felt trapped, and he didn't deal well with criticism. When I started a new job, I made sure that my time was valued, but I've never dealt with anyone so unprofessional.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

• multiple times I went to a sales meeting with a large client, I was acting as sales engineer, and had all the demo equipment with me, so I show up a half hour early, get setup with an elaborate demo. He tells me he'll be five minutes late. The potential client and his people are waiting with me, he calls a half hour later telling me he won't be arriving, and that I need to do the demo and pitch, the clients laugh and pretty much just leave. Later he yells at me for losing the sale
  • he sent me an another guy to a client to do a router and switch switch out after business hours. He tells me not to do anything until he arrives, since he wants to show us the right way to do it. Again, I'll be up in five minutes. We wait four hours. Finally at 10pm we just do it ourselves, since it's just switching out four cables and a switch. We go downstairs and he's already gone home.
  • he asked me (at 4pm) to go to NJ, from NYC, pick up a u-haul, and go back into manhattan, and pick up some desks from a client. What he meant was leave the truck double parked, disassemble some cubicles, move them to the office, assemble them, and then drop off the truck, drive his car back in, pick him up and go home. His estimate on the time required for this task "You should be home by 6pm, 7 at the latest."

Hopefully you didn't confront him on this ever, it might be construed as insubordination.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tigren posted:

Hopefully you didn't confront him on this ever, it might be construed as insubordination.

Please don't confuse goonstuckinawell.jpeg with the discussion from a few pages ago. Trying to compare your boss being late to a 1on1 meeting with you to that monstrosity is pretty dumb.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

xsf421 posted:

Not a programmer, but jumping in to say that's boat money in west Michigan. One of my good friends just bought a ~1700 sqft house just outside Holland for $55k.

If it's contract position then it's not AS much as a regular full-time job paying that much but, yeah, I had the same thought as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Please don't confuse goonstuckinawell.jpeg with the discussion from a few pages ago. Trying to compare your boss being late to a 1on1 meeting with you to that monstrosity is pretty dumb.

I'm thankfully out of that well, and none too soon, either. I left the job over three years ago, and right after I left the company fell apart. One of the partners called all the clients and said "hey, I have my own company now, and I'm taking over your account." and stole most of the business for himself, out from under the other owner. (He called and offered me a job and I laughed at him). The other engineer I worked with quit, and started his own business and called a bunch of clients that dropped the company over the years and took them as his own support clients, he's a really good guy, so when other clients found out, they approached him directly and hired his new consulting company. Also, their largest client (responsible for almost 75% of their revenue) was acquired by a large investment firm and they had their own IT so they dropped them.

Essentially I got out right before it all fell apart. They are still in business, but I have no idea how.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

When he comes to find you at 13:50 just make sure you've moved onto another task and now can't meet. This isn't a great option if the meeting is for your benefit though.

Or, if he's consistently showing up between 1:45 and 2, request the meeting be moved to 2 instead. If that doesn't work then yeah, I question the "importance" of a meeting the boss can't even show up on time to attend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

ButIHaveToProveMyPoint.jpg.gif.mov

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ugh I bet that .mov uses codecs available in XP media center or vlc player and is an uncompressed 20 gig nightmare.

.mp4 supremacy people

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just install the Kazaa Codec Pack

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Users not reading downtime notices and putting in tickets at 6am complaining that the program is down.

This secretary in the admin suite is acting incredibly bizarre. It's almost Dick Trauma tier.

My lead had one of us drop off a laptop for the new VP of development. My lead gets a text shortly after demanding to know what this laptop is for and threatens to go to the CIO if she doesn't hear back soon. She's worked here for 4 weeks, isn't even the only secretary there, and believes we need to go through to her if we're to do anything there. She seems to think she's entitled to boss us around, even telling my lead that he can't leave for lunch until Skype is installed for her (which she had uninstalled the next day). The people there with the actual power there don't even act like this. This kind of behavior is not outside the norm for her.

What really fries me is my boss is afraid to make waves and do something about it. If it were me I'd be on the incident reporting system and drat the consequences. You need to try to build up a record so she doesn't get too entrenched to get rid of.

I hope they get rid of her soon. She's acted bitchy to people who actually matter on accident too and it's only a matter of time before her thin veneer of civility falls away at the wrong time.

Is this in the LA area, and does her last name name start with D? If so we had to fire her in 2012.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MrMojok posted:

Is this in the LA area, and does her last name name start with D? If so we had to fire her in 2012.

I feel like that's a pretty large pool, for every criteria.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

If it's contract position then it's not AS much as a regular full-time job paying that much but, yeah, I had the same thought as well.

It will be full time, but yeah, after taxes it's still really good. Cones out to 45$/hr.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MrMojok posted:

LA area yes! No on the D, but some poor son of a bitch could have married her,or some poor son of a bitch wised up and divorced her.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
You know it's going to be a great night when a user responds to the maintenance notification email asking why something mentioned in that email is down.

quote:

Subject: RE: THINGY will be down from 2:30-4:30ET for [stuff]

Hello,

I can't get to THINGY. Please page the oncall as I have urgent work to finish.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

You know it's going to be a great night when a user responds to the maintenance notification email asking why something mentioned in that email is down.

This blatant show of stupidity should be valid grounds for dismissal.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

I really hate mails that just go:

quote:

To: Hazzlebarth
Subject: Can you call me?

Empty body

What do you want? Either call me if its urgent or write out your request per mail.

We have multiple people doing that, lately I just delete those mails, but it's irritating as hell. It's mostly the same people who reply to any informational mail with "Thank you for the information" - no matter if it's a personal mail to them or a all-all mail with a service window announcement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hazzlebarth posted:

I really hate mails that just go:

What do you want? Either call me if its urgent or write out your request per mail.

We have multiple people doing that, lately I just delete those mails, but it's irritating as hell. It's mostly the same people who reply to any informational mail with "Thank you for the information" - no matter if it's a personal mail to them or a all-all mail with a service window announcement.

Or voicemails that do the same. Hey bob it's Jane call me back!

I've me a heads up on want. Email me or put a ticket in.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Occasionally, this is a cover for "Dude holy poo poo we need to talk" in my environment. It works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AS/400 printing fun.

Print jobs to a certain printer work. But if you print to it from Windows, the Windows print job comes out fine, and then the AS/400 stops being able to print. You just get a page that's blank except a little || character on the page. Windows can keep printing to it just fine. But you have to power the printer down to get the IBM to print to it again.

Derp.