Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why use manual focus for street when your scene is going to last seconds at most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why use manual focus for street when your scene is going to last seconds at most?

Not many fast MFT lenses. This one lacks electrical contacts, looks pretty. Why do people use Leica M gear to shoot street? This is the cheap version of that and an interesting challenge.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Zone focusing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Most people don't shoot street at wide apertures. So f/8 focused to hyperfocal on a wide angle is totally fine. I hope windex isn't shooting at f/0.95 and guesstimating focus because that would be ridiculous . Oh god that's what you are doing isn't it?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

8th-snype posted:

Most people don't shoot street at wide apertures. So f/8 focused to hyperfocal on a wide angle is totally fine. I hope windex isn't shooting at f/0.95 and guesstimating focus because that would be ridiculous . Oh god that's what you are doing isn't it?

Not quite .95, but 1.4 to 2.8, which would be doable if infinite focus was a little more fixed on the lens. It starts somewhere between the beginning of the infinite mark and ends somewhere around the middle of the first loop, hence winding up either front or backfocused.

Also, petty easy to hit targets at f/4 with the DOF on the 17.5, PEN-F starts to poo poo out after ISO1600, dark is dark.

I've gotten it right at .95 a couple times loving around but those photos are even more boring.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

windex posted:

Not quite .95, but 1.4 to 2.8, which would be doable if infinite focus was a little more fixed on the lens.

Figure out how to put things in a rectangle before worrying about your bokehliciousness.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

burzum karaoke posted:

Figure out how to put things in a rectangle before worrying about your bokehliciousness.

Man, see. The time I have to shoot is at night. You aren't wrong, it's just complicated.

Also, that'll get better. I'm shooting blind with that setup most of the time. My brain just about has got enough experience to center the frame blind, so moving out from there will come.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sounds like you've got an excuse for everything already so how about you stop posting and go out side and shoot more

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Don't expect to shoot reactively in low light, it's putting the cart before the horse. Options for lit areas at night are usually narrow enough that you can find setups for shots where worrying about nailing focus goes out the window. That or bring a flash.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sounds like you've got an excuse for everything already so how about you stop posting and go out side and shoot more

I am stuck doing real day job work but it's complete bullshit right now so I have time to type pointlessly while I wish for death. Feel sorry for me, I suck at everything and have an awful job where I am occasionally forced to do things and have time to post badly.

burzum karaoke posted:

Don't expect to shoot reactively in low light, it's putting the cart before the horse. Options for lit areas at night are usually narrow enough that you can find setups for shots where worrying about nailing focus goes out the window. That or bring a flash.

I disagree with almost this entire post, I shoot events, especially concerts, and the key difference is that you have a few seconds here and then to frame and take some time memorizing the lines of the stage. You make the difference up between poo poo and not through quantity and prayer, and in the end you can get away with some bad shots because the value in getting a shot outweighs the merits of composition in some cases. Part of the reason I am doing this is to increase my response time doing that as I have missed some good shots and regretted it. Also, Tokyo as a whole is a semi-lit area at worst at night.

I agree with the bringing a flash part, but I need a center pin only flash cable or more faith in scotch tape to use my Canon flashes with the Oly safely and haven't spotted one yet. This is just a new camera, lens, and technique, and goddamnit, I will master it, at least to the level of dealing with quantity and prayer.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A razor thin depth of field will only increase your response time unless you've already set your shot up. It's not a question of excuses, you're adding a step to the process expecting to make it faster. The whole point of using scale focus is that's it's fast, you can do it by feel and don't need to think about it. With practice you can probably go down to f/4-5.6 with some reliability, but f/.95:lol::lol::lol: bitchplease. Crank your ISO and quit crying about grain, :ssh: it's not the thing that's making your pictures bad! :ssh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you trying to find the actual infinity point of the lens, or looking for the hyperfocal. If the former, why? At least with the hyperfocal you can put your focal point a bit further past the actual point to compensate for dodgy markings and still get more areas closer to you in reasonable focus. Or is there something I'm not considering?

Hyperfocal on those manual lenses should be generally easy too, unlike all my AF lenses where the depth scale goes from 2m to infinity within a few mm and the HF distance is 9m or whatever.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you trying to find the actual infinity point of the lens, or looking for the hyperfocal. If the former, why? At least with the hyperfocal you can put your focal point a bit further past the actual point to compensate for dodgy markings and still get more areas closer to you in reasonable focus. Or is there something I'm not considering?

Hyperfocal on those manual lenses should be generally easy too, unlike all my AF lenses where the depth scale goes from 2m to infinity within a few mm and the HF distance is 9m or whatever.

There's no hard stop for infinity, and the slightest nudge pushes you into the abyss, as the entire focus range of the lens is exhausted in a 200 degree rotation.

I also just discovered I did the math wrong on the hyperfocal distances at various f-stops for the lens because I didn't adjust for the right crop factor, which means I am an idiot and this is why I am fighting with things.

burzum karaoke posted:

A razor thin depth of field will only increase your response time unless you've already set your shot up. It's not a question of excuses, you're adding a step to the process expecting to make it faster. The whole point of using scale focus is that's it's fast, you can do it by feel and don't need to think about it. With practice you can probably go down to f/4-5.6 with some reliability, but f/.95:lol::lol::lol: bitchplease. Crank your ISO and quit crying about grain, :ssh: it's not the thing that's making your pictures bad! :ssh:

You know, you aren't really wrong. I don't know why my test images rubbed me the wrong way, but looking at these:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-pen-f/olympus-pen-fA7.HTM

... at the bottom, it's really not that bad. I mean, the biggest falloff in quality starts between ISO1600 and 3200, but it's no 5D3. So, yeah. Good point.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There should be a rule that windex isn't allowed to make a post in the street thread unless he has a photo taken within the last 24 hours to go with every post

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

There should be a rule that windex isn't allowed to make a post in the street thread unless he has a photo taken within the last 24 hours to go with every post

The best way for me to stop and think about what I'm doing is to think out loud in a room full of people that hate me.

Also it's going to rain all week so I guess I'll be back next week.

edit: I could take the 5D3 and my weather sealed glass but the PEN-F / Voigtlander combo is not weather sealed and I'm not sure I would be happy if the plastic bag method failed me right now.

windex fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 8, 2016

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

windex posted:

The best way for me to stop and think about what I'm doing is to think out loud in a room full of people that hate me.

Also it's going to rain all week so I guess I'll be back next week.

Rain is awesome

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

tau posted:

Rain is awesome

Yup. Bad conditions make for better photos.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Hows it going street thread?

MPRZ0240
by Bud, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

windex posted:

I agree with the bringing a flash part, but I need a center pin only flash cable or more faith in scotch tape to use my Canon flashes with the Oly safely and haven't spotted one yet. This is just a new camera, lens, and technique, and goddamnit, I will master it, at least to the level of dealing with quantity and prayer.
Pick up a cheap small manual flash like the Metz 20 c2. For sixty bucks you get something small enough to fit in your pocket and will let you shoot at f/8 reasonably often.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Street Fight by Iain Compton, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

windex posted:

You definitely don't need to think about what you're doing. The pictures you posted are perfect. You obviously know exactly what you're doing, so there's no need to come here for our help.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like this one, it has an interesting message

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Portland, OR by David Shen, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

windex posted:

Not many fast MFT lenses. This one lacks electrical contacts, looks pretty. Why do people use Leica M gear to shoot street? This is the cheap version of that and an interesting challenge.

The rest of this tread is tldr. gently caress you sound monkey ill do what i want including lack of punctuation and run on sentances, gently caress canada i used a comma.

gently caress You. Dont talk about leica like you know what you are doing.

Learn how to pre-fucus. f/8 at 2.5 meters. f/22 at 1m>, and dont even bother with f/22 on your lovely digita lcamera due to diffraction limits. There are plenty of .95 lenses with good optics for M43, sorry you dont have a Noct-NIkkor or an M3. Dont let your cameras body control you or identify you. Why do people use Leica? Money. Shut up and look at good photos and then mimic them. Develop an eye.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Musket posted:

The rest of this tread is tldr. gently caress you sound monkey ill do what i want including lack of punctuation and run on sentances, gently caress canada i used a comma.

Learn how to pre-fucus. f/8 at 2.5 meters. f/22 at 1m>, and dont even bother with f/22 on your lovely digita lcamera due to diffraction limits. There are plenty of .95 lenses with good optics for M43, sorry you dont have a Noct-NIkkor or an M3. Dont let your cameras body control you or identify you. Why do people use Leica? Money. Shut up and look at good photos and then mimic them. Develop an eye.

what is this.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Shut up and post bad photos.

sincerly,

bart radfucker.

Wildwood Trail, Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The meaning of life.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Musket posted:

sincerly,

bart radfucker.

Ok

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
sorry accidentally uploaded an older version of the second photo, here's the final image #nofilter

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

sorry accidentally uploaded an older version of the second photo, here's the final image #nofilter

My eyes are bleeding from the cutting edge glory of this shot.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Thank you.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Musket posted:

sincerly,

bart radfucker.

Wildwood Trail, Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

you're definitely doing that

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Man, street photos loving suck.

Trump Rally Protest by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Trump Rally Protest by Tom Olson, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
lol @ wearing a mask like you are getting prosecuted for supporting bern

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

lol @ wearing a mask like you are getting prosecuted for supporting bern

Actually you're just culturally ignorant.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RangerScum posted:

Actually you're just culturally ignorant.

I probably am, what are they supposed to mean?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Well they're Mexicans at a protest against a Trump (whose supporters are by and large, consciously or not, racist) rally in Chicago (a city with a pretty dang long history of racial tension and violence).

Or maybe they wanted to show the flag of their homeland but also have their hands free? :shrug:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I probably am, what are they supposed to mean?

What do cowboy hats mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
this thread never disappoints