Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
isn't goog books just public domain stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

qirex posted:

amazon also has an effective monopoly in the us on e-readers, is it even possible to put a google book on one of the e-ink kindles?

you can export it to some format that the kindle opens or convert it to something else with calibre and then email it to your own kindle or plug it in usb and move it there, but it is not exactly a nice or easy process.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

isn't goog books just public domain stuff?

i think he is talking about the books you can buy from google in google play store

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh. hmm I don't know anything about the play store

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

amazon also has an effective monopoly in the us on e-readers, is it even possible to put a google book on one of the e-ink kindles?

only if it doesn't have (likely stripable idk) drm. ppl are pretty happy to read on their phones or tablets though, so it doesn't mean much.

poty posted:

amazon folded because the publishers have more leverage. its really not that hard to find another shop on google when amazon doesnt have the book you want.

ya amazon clearly didn't have the leverage at the time esp since ibooks was potentially a v large and scary competitor. I'm curious what it's like relatively today. the hachette deal last spring was the first post-settlement contract renegotiation and its clear amzn drove a pretty hard bargain.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
do ppl buy things on ibooks? always seemed to me like another ships-with-os shovelware to be piled in a folder and forgotten.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

always seemed to me like another ships-with-os shovelware to be piled in a folder and forgotten.
much like your childhood hopes and dreams smythe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

much like your childhood hopes and dreams smythe

when i was a child, i wanted to be a fighter pilot, like many young boys. but when i grew up? it quickly became apparent that it wasn't in the cards for me, gents. hell, ive got bad sinuses, bad guts, motion sickness, and terrible eyesight. when my eardrum burst after getting owned by descending from the san bernadino mountains and half my hearing temporarily left me as the drum regrew i used the increase in sensory perception to meditate on the realities of my bleak corporeal situation: im lucky if im not nauseous sitting on the floor, perhaps the cockpit is not the place for me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the cockpit should be the name of ur casting agency

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

9.3b6 is out, thank you tim

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what the hell are they doing with 9.3 that it need 6 betas?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

They're bad at software, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

encryption backdoor

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

yeah they should've just released it broken, it works for microsoft and google

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple has been releasing broken garbage since ios 7.0 so idk why they'd stop now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stux posted:

yeah they should've just released it broken, it works for microsoft and google

i'm just genuinely curious. it seems like more than any other point release.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're still fine tuning the nfc so that your phone just unlocks within 50 feet of a police car

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i'm just genuinely curious. it seems like more than any other point release.

and i was being serious, there is probably just a stubborn bug they havnt been able to squash yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bug: product still too functional

solution: add more translucent panels and rearrange commonly used features behind several more menus

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

infernal machines posted:

bug: product still too functional

solution: add more translucent panels and rearrange commonly used features behind several more menus

that is a very good description of windows and android yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

lol I just got this

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

honestly b4 was perfect and bug-free for me, I guess there's just some edge cases and internationalization bugs they're trying to nail down

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
my iphone 5 is now a laggy piece of poo poo just like what happened with my android. gently caress this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Shaggar posted:

apple has been releasing broken garbage since ios 7.0 so idk why they'd stop now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:qq: cry more

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i have a 5 here running 9.2 and it works fine, no lag. have you tried restoring your iphone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

THC posted:

i have a 5 here running 9.2 and it works fine, no lag. have you tried restoring your iphone

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

THC posted:

I have a 6s plus running the 9.3 public beta and no issues too

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
my iphone 5 is slow these days but im pretty sure it is because its so full

im gonna go for 64gb when i buy the next one this year (the 4 incher if it doesnt suck or the 7 if it does)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
are you implying that something else might be small. i guarantee you there is no problem there. i guarantee it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all apple users have huge dongs

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
yeah. in their mouth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Athletic Footjob posted:

yeah. in their mouth
jealous much?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
shaggar is incompetent

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

FMguru posted:

jealous much?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

yes please flatten and reinstall. that should get rid of all the bit rot.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

yes please flatten and reinstall. that should get rid of all the bit rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

poty posted:

my iphone 5 is slow these days but im pretty sure it is because its so full

im gonna go for 64gb when i buy the next one this year (the 4 incher if it doesnt suck or the 7 if it does)

mine isn't full. i have 7 GB free. it's very clear what's making it laggy is what every normie on the planet knows: ios updates slow down phones

• Locked thread