Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bobatron posted:

I like that this show is different than the books but at same time, the Antarctica scene in the books had a lot good parts that the show cut or butchered I am a little disappointed. They could have showed how difficult magic was instead the show makes it just kind of look like hogwarts for adults.

That's what the books were like too. At best they TOLD you magic was really hard, but it still just kind of happened. Guy's a sports journalist, what do you expect?

The show does have major problems with the passage of time, but that's also something I remember being pretty bad in the books too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

But the Julia storyline is the only thing worth watching for.

lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's not good, it just seems like it might actually be going somewhere. Nothing seems to happen at Brakebills. Even when things go wrong or whatever, it's all quickly resolved and then they go back to not actually trying to do or achieve anything. Julia has goals and obstacles and has even actually been shown doing something useful with her magic. There's a plot, basically.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm assuming that Julia's plot is going to have her meet up with the FTB folks soon. Probably in a posh sky rise penthouse and not in France ($$$), and with no online support group for troubled geniuses.

When Julia gave up the magic and was starting to turn her life around, only to be brought into a super magic hedgewitch group- it was pretty awesome. I'm interested in seeing what they do, though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

I don't even think that Quentin is going to sleep with Margot. I figure they'll just gloss over that, and then just after graduation have Penny zap them into Fillory. No Neitherlands. They'll not even wander around and meet the river nymph, they'll not battle into Ember's tomb with the two body guards, they won't meet the talking bear at the tavern, they'll just ZAP straight into The Beast's chamber with the captive girl and kill him and free her. MAYBE we'll see a ram god.

I hope not, but you're probably right.

A shame, cause the body guards is one of the "this is real and not a fun-times adventure!" moments that I really liked.

Also, the Neitherlands are such a neat concept. :sigh:

quote:

I understand that a LOT of the book needed to be cut to make it to air, but WHY cut so much poo poo and then make up superfluous garbage scenes (not all are garbage scenes, but like 75% of the additional poo poo is- Cancer Puppy is the best)? This show is perfectly mediocre. Decent enough to watch, but not good enough to give a poo poo if it gets a second season.

That's always a problem with book adaptations, but I agree. It bugs me when they waste time on some show writer's pet project stuff and skip stuff from the book that's actually important to the story.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
This past episode was pretty good!

Nice introduction of Richard, assuming that he's replacing the FTB introductory plot line. It's a decent swap. Also, Gretchen! Maybe there's hope to see Josh at a later point.

I'm not too keen on the idea of The Beast infiltrating and trying to kill Quentin et all. It really makes Quentin seem like ~*~The Chosen One~*~ instead of lucking into the situation.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mouse Dresser posted:

This past episode was pretty good!

Nice introduction of Richard, assuming that he's replacing the FTB introductory plot line. It's a decent swap. Also, Gretchen! Maybe there's hope to see Josh at a later point.

I'm not too keen on the idea of The Beast infiltrating and trying to kill Quentin et all. It really makes Quentin seem like ~*~The Chosen One~*~ instead of lucking into the situation.

Yeah, one of my favorite moments from the first book was during the final battle against Martin when he's all "SO YOU HAVE FINALLY MADE YOUR MOVE IN YOUR HUGE MASTER PLAN." and Quentin & Co are like "Huh? What dude? We just... kind of showed up. It's loving Fillory, who wouldn't take the leap?"

All of that's gone from the show though and it's being replaced with pretty uninspired chosen one poo poo.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, one of my favorite moments from the first book was during the final battle against Martin when he's all "SO YOU HAVE FINALLY MADE YOUR MOVE IN YOUR HUGE MASTER PLAN." and Quentin & Co are like "Huh? What dude? We just... kind of showed up. It's loving Fillory, who wouldn't take the leap?"

All of that's gone from the show though and it's being replaced with pretty uninspired chosen one poo poo.

Yeah, I think that's the worst part of this tv series. I'm liking Julia's journey, and I appreciate that it's being run concurrently to Quentin's, but I am loving DREADING when The Beast shows up to gently caress with Julia.

But High King Elliott is going to be best thing ever. Why did they change Elliott's home from Oregon to Indiana? I live in Oregon and it's country as poo poo the moment you're 15 minutes outside of Portland.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mouse Dresser posted:

Yeah, I think that's the worst part of this tv series. I'm liking Julia's journey, and I appreciate that it's being run concurrently to Quentin's, but I am loving DREADING when The Beast shows up to gently caress with Julia.

I think you meant to say Reynard there? And yeah if they do it they're gonna gently caress it up hardcore. I don't think you can do that on television without it being either really drat offensive or cheesy/crappy as gently caress.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

I think you meant to say Reynard there? And yeah if they do it they're gonna gently caress it up hardcore. I don't think you can do that on television without it being either really drat offensive or cheesy/crappy as gently caress.

No, I meant that they'd probably have some sort of invented poo poo where The Beast fucks with Julia because The Beast is the ultimate baddy :iiam:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mouse Dresser posted:

No, I meant that they'd probably have some sort of invented poo poo where The Beast fucks with Julia because The Beast is the ultimate baddy :iiam:

whats funny is that the beast is only in one loving book; the real ultimate baddy is ennui

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mouse Dresser posted:

Presumably then the beast might wind up replacing that goat demon guy

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

But High King Elliott is going to be best thing ever. Why did they change Elliott's home from Oregon to Indiana? I live in Oregon and it's country as poo poo the moment you're 15 minutes outside of Portland.

High King Eliot and Fillory characters who appropriate Earth's vulgarity. This is all I want.

As to the reasons for every change: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that episode was pretty much entirely a waste of time. The bad guys popped in to say "hi" and do not much else. Oh, the beast killed that woman who was going to explain what's going on before she could, so that didn't really go anywhere. That character that was introduced last episode and we didn't have any reason to care about is dead, and that makes gay best friend sad, so there's that I suppose. Julia decided to give up magic and then decided to do magic again, so that went nowhere. There were more Narnia references but the plot doesn't seem to have actually moved at all. What is this show doing?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The dead rabbit looked hilariously bad, and choking someone so hard that their neck explodes is also pretty hard to take seriously.

The fight at the end was a little neat, but overall nothing really happened in this episode. They seem to be planning to stretch Julia's story to two seasons based on how slow it is going.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

or they're hoping to get the show cancelled before they have to shoot that scene

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really enjoyed this episode, but only because it focused on Eliot. Who is loving awesome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Magicians, more like The Ma-poo poo-cians

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
If "Eliza" is really dead then the entire point of the first book just got flushed down the crapper.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

shadok posted:

If "Eliza" is really dead then the entire point of the first book just got flushed down the crapper.

Or they could be going with her still resetting time and all that but instead of her smashing the watch because only a couple people died she can't do it because she's the dead one

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tiggum posted:

Well, that episode was pretty much entirely a waste of time.

It did confirm that the show wasn't one of the failed timelines that Jane had tried before the books. :drat:

Also I guess they are just skipping Reynard and going straight to the dryad priestess stuff.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Na'at posted:

Or they could be going with her still resetting time and all that but instead of her smashing the watch because only a couple people died she can't do it because she's the dead one

Maybe Eliza is the magic doll that got the rose thorns embedded into it and made it a real girl.

Also: Fuckin' LOL at the teenage Jane going to Fillory through the linen closet while clutching a loving doll. Come on, guys, at the VERY least you could have cast a 10 year old.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like I don't understand anything about the metaplot. I know the Beast is from Fillory which is a fictional place in some kids books except it's actually real and Quinn has dreams about a character from Fillory called Jane Chatwin and the Beast wants to kill Quentin for some unknown reason, but I don't understand any reason or connection between these things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I don't understand anything about the metaplot. I know the Beast is from Fillory which is a fictional place in some kids books except it's actually real and Quinn has dreams about a character from Fillory called Jane Chatwin and the Beast wants to kill Quentin for some unknown reason, but I don't understand any reason or connection between these things.

The connection between the Beast, Jane Chatwin and Fillory will all eventually be explained. They mentioned in the first episode that Jane and her siblings were real children and the Fillory books were written by their neighbor based on stories they would tell him.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Based on the preview, it looks like some of those questions will be answered.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

mastajake posted:

Based on the preview, it looks like some of those questions will be answered.

So the button is in the show, huh... And we're getting the Plover's awfulness reveal really early.

It's kind of a shame that they're going to the estate so early. It was one of the more charming parts in the later book that was worth the wait. Besides, the dragon telling Quentin to go there was pretty cool. Well, let's see what they do with this reveal, then. It looks super dark, which is cool.

:sigh: I still miss Josh.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Next ep promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0dxbKE9dac

Like someone was saying, the show really does do a "monster spell of the week" thing. Dunno if that means we'll necessarily see a button, or The Neitherlands. :smith:

Last ep wasn't bad, I think being Eliot-heavy helped bring it up a bit from the usual mediocrity. Show Penny is also good as usual, that's one of the few changes they've made that I think works better; it helps to have a sympathetic antagonist at Brakebills explicitly call Quentin out on his poo poo, otherwise the viewer would just think he's a Chosen One, which the brilliant showrunners inexplicably decided to *add* to the story.

geeves posted:

As to the reasons for every change: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

I know I've asked it already before, but I'm really curious how a serial failure like the main writer for this show continues to get work. (To put the body of his work in context, L&C:TNAoS is by *far* his most successful show...)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

The connection between the Beast, Jane Chatwin and Fillory will all eventually be explained. They mentioned in the first episode that Jane and her siblings were real children and the Fillory books were written by their neighbor based on stories they would tell him.

I doesn't make much more sense in the books other than Quentin has terrible taste and loved The Not-Chronicles of Narnia which are actually real because magic.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Na'at posted:

But how do you pull all that back into the story, how does the watch fit in at all now? Some random third party like the dean pops in and say "She had a magic watch"? I mean Jane Chatwin, the Chatwin children, honestly should be getting talked about more and more prominently when the Brakebills crew start getting into Fillory and now they got rid of her? Like did they seriously just kill Jane Chatwin before anyone even knows poo poo about who she is?

Also not really a spoiler but haha Fillory is obviously already a Narnia rip-off/homage but the show took it even further by having a Chatwin vanish into a closet instead of a grandfather clock.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

from the beginning, it talking about a group of children disappearing into a magical fantasy world is pretty much 100% a tipoff to it being a huge narnia reference. from there it just keeps lumping more and more onto it to the point where it's unmistakable and lazy in every way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

from the beginning, it talking about a group of children disappearing into a magical fantasy world is pretty much 100% a tipoff to it being a huge narnia reference. from there it just keeps lumping more and more onto it to the point where it's unmistakable and lazy in every way.

Are we talking about the tv show or the books now? The books have like a billion literary references beyond just the modern poo poo that people recognize easily (narnia, harry potter, D&D, etc.). When the first book came out some idiots on the internet bitched and moaned about how the Magicians rips off CS Lewis yet they didn't complain about the book ripping off The Once and Future King or Gulliver's Travels

The tv show is lazy as gently caress but the books at least have a pretty significant amount of allusion effort put into them

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The books kinda deconstruct Narnia. It's not that Grossman ripped off Narnia and tried to pass it off as his own. It delves into the idea of just how hosed up such a magical land with the embodiment of "God" running around would really be, and just how horrifying an effect that would have on the people that go there.

I don't want to call it a "dark and gritty Narnia" because I think it goes beyond that, but it's not just a lazy Narnia ripoff. You're supposed to get it's a Narnia/Harry Potter/etc pastiche that takes the ball and runs.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Oasx posted:

They seem to be planning to stretch Julia's story to two seasons based on how slow it is going.

Good, Julia's story is the best bit of the show.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:gonk:

This is goddamn creepy and tragic.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

It's an interesting take making Plover The Beast instead of Martin. I also really liked how the episode ended. There's only a few episodes left, so I am anxious to see what they're doing with it. Moderately disliked the eliminating of 2 of the Chatwin kids and making them live with Plover instead of being neighbors, but that makes it all wrapped up in a little bow. I'm kinda glad that they haven't blown their wad in regards to Fillory just yet. Based on the episode titles, it looks like they're battling The Beast in episode 13; "Have You Brought Me Little Cakes?" is the title and I can just see The Beast saying that to them.

This was a really dark episode, and Alice and Elliott were both quite good. I think this is the first episode where I really got the feeling that the writers were finally understanding the characters. Penny was TOO much of a douche, though. If they do the stuff where Penny stays in the Neitherlands and becomes zen, that'll be interesting.

Edit: I'm really confused as to why Jane is like 17 and not 7.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

child actors are all terrible so it's better to replace child characters with adult characters wherever it makes sense

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well that was a surprisingly good episode. Never read the books, but what they did was legitimately interesting and I didn't see it coming at all. Normally not a fan of dark and gritty for the sake of it, but I actually think it works here.

Plus Elliot's obviously got some poo poo in his past which makes for some interesting character stuff.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 15, 2016

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
This was a great episode. Eliot didn't really stand out for me in the books at all but I'm loving him in the show. After these past few episodes I'm definitely thinking I enjoy the show more than I did the books.

karrethuun fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 15, 2016

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

child actors are all terrible so it's better to replace child characters with adult characters wherever it makes sense

I guess they're trying to make Jane about 15-ish, but it doesn't really make sense in the scheme of the whole "kids going to Narnia Fillory" idea. Plus, when the other characters keep saying "Fillory is for kids!" it's kind of odd to have a teenager as the main person of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

It's an interesting take making Plover The Beast instead of Martin.

But they didn't and I don't think it would be. It thematically undercuts Martin's fall. Martin wanted to escape his life and become powerful enough to stop his expulsion from Fillory and returning to the abuse of Plover. As someone else said, Martin gained powers at expense of his humanity and turned into something worse than what he wished to escape. The show demonstrated this better by this episode instead of having Jane say a "blink-and-you-miss-it" comment about Plover diddling Martin. The show also goes one further and showing that Martin possibly cursed his siblings to an afterlife of torment out of spiteful jealousy when he returned to Earth to kill Plover.