Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Why would you use a mouse mat at all?

I just have one of those cloth ones to have a uniform surface no matter where I'm using the mouse (during my uni years I was getting major differences between my desk at home and the desks at uni so for the price of a beer I found a convenient way to avoid the annoyance).

And yes, I should have spent more time studying and less playing games, but we're all goons here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is it legal for a non-handicapped person to drive a vehicle modified for handicapped people (with like a hand-operated throttle/brake)?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sleepy gary posted:

Is it legal for a non-handicapped person to drive a vehicle modified for handicapped people (with like a hand-operated throttle/brake)?

Yes, so long as the modifications themselves are in line with federal/local safety standards. You would just have to remove any handicapped driver labeling stuff and don't go around parking in handicapped spots.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is it just me or spotify isn't showing the current song on the top of the radios page anymore and I can't like/dislike songs unless I click on the radio and do so on the music list.

e: oh I guess I can like/dislike on the bottom bar, but still did they really remove the flip book of latest songs played on the radio? why?

program666 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 8, 2016

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I'm trying to play a game on my computer while I screenshare the video and share the sound with a friend over skype. I found ManyCam (https://manycam.com/?os=mac) to do the video part, but what's a way to route all of the audio from the game directly to him without sending all of his own skype audio as well? I'd prefer a solution on mac, but PC will work as well.

I know you can screenshare with skype directly but it's kinda laggy and not nearly as good as ManyCams.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

aherdofpenguins posted:

I'm trying to play a game on my computer while I screenshare the video and share the sound with a friend over skype. I found ManyCam (https://manycam.com/?os=mac) to do the video part, but what's a way to route all of the audio from the game directly to him without sending all of his own skype audio as well? I'd prefer a solution on mac, but PC will work as well.

I know you can screenshare with skype directly but it's kinda laggy and not nearly as good as ManyCams.

Tried team viewer?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Went on a trip with some friends, now we are trying to square up with who owes what to who. Is there an app or website I can punch all this poo poo into so I don't have to do the math myself?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

Went on a trip with some friends, now we are trying to square up with who owes what to who. Is there an app or website I can punch all this poo poo into so I don't have to do the math myself?

Microsoft Excel, Google spreadsheets, or some other equivalent

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Grundulum posted:

Microsoft Excel, Google spreadsheets, or some other equivalent

The key here was finding something that isn't a huge pain in the rear end to do it myself

I found splitwise.com, it was exactly what I'm looking for

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Do we have an ask/tell thread for small business owners? I didn't see anything like it in BFC, and I don't know where else to look.

I am curious what the costs associated with owning and operating a restaurant are. Things like markup percentage on raw ingredients, utility bills, non-wage costs associated with employees, etc. Right now I have neither money nor time, but eventually I hope to have both! (Google didn't help me find numbers on these; only general platitudes from sites that I suspect make their living selling my email address.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are the Californian laws for job duties and titles? What can an employer say when asked about someone's job experience? My manager is giving me some major management experience but I'm not sure if it's verifiable if I were to try and find a new job?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Tried team viewer?

I did not! I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Turtlicious posted:

What are the Californian laws for job duties and titles? What can an employer say when asked about someone's job experience? My manager is giving me some major management experience but I'm not sure if it's verifiable if I were to try and find a new job?

I'm not sure if there are laws, or if there are standardized titles. Many places have a policy to only confirm employment, time range, and official titles. If your manager loves you, they might give you a glowing review, lying in your favor. Your new prospective employer may not even bother checking in with your references.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

From what I understand, employers can basically confirm that someone worked for the time time period they said they worked, and at the position they worked. There's no actual law against being more descriptive, it's really more of an HR thing.

So if you were an otherwise were a model employee, but got fired for banging the boss's wife, then it could potentially become a legal issue.

Employers will want to check your references, and a previous employer cursing you to hell and back could cost you a job and make you drat near unemployable.

There have been lawsuits filed over this kind of thing. So the general plan is to basically just confirm true statements of employment, even if you fired them. So Mr. Smith here worked from April to May stacking boxes. Yep, he totally did that. As for why he was let go in July, no idea, I don't work in shipping.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 8, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

So the general plan is to basically just confirm true statements of employment,

When I'm checking references on a potential hire what is NOT said is more important that was is said. I also take into account the business I'm calling. Most megacorps have pretty strict rules about what they can say/do for references. Smaller companies aren't usually as policy-driven/conservative about that kind of thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our babysitter said her car (2015 Ford Focus) was stolen, and when she looked into it I guess she found out that that's a common car to steal, but people just steal it for the tires supposedly? Why the heck would that be the case?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's pretty hard to steal a car and drive it around with getting caught, at least you can sell the tyres on, probably for a mint given the price I have to pay for my new one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
"can sell the tyres on" ... on what? I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think at this point resume fluffing is pretty much standard. The into paragraph on mine is nuts. A marketing/PR client of mine wrote it for me and while everything is techenicly true, poo poo sounds way more impressive then it is.

Sadly the two greatest complements I have ever been given at work are too informal/vulgar to put on a resume.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

hooah posted:

"can sell the tyres on" ... on what? I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

onto someone else

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, employers can basically confirm that someone worked for the time time period they said they worked, and at the position they worked. There's no actual law against being more descriptive, it's really more of an HR thing.

So if you were an otherwise were a model employee, but got fired for banging the boss's wife, then it could potentially become a legal issue.

Employers will want to check your references, and a previous employer cursing you to hell and back could cost you a job and make you drat near unemployable.

There have been lawsuits filed over this kind of thing. So the general plan is to basically just confirm true statements of employment, even if you fired them. So Mr. Smith here worked from April to May stacking boxes. Yep, he totally did that. As for why he was let go in July, no idea, I don't work in shipping.

Yeah, where I work all we do is confirm the dates they worked there and whether or not they are eligible for re-hire. We don't even confirm job titles. It's not a law, but it's a practice to limit our liability.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I think at this point resume fluffing is pretty much standard. The into paragraph on mine is nuts. A marketing/PR client of mine wrote it for me and while everything is techenicly true, poo poo sounds way more impressive then it is.

Sadly the two greatest complements I have ever been given at work are too informal/vulgar to put on a resume.

You the man now dog?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

is there a downside to running a game in windowed fullscreen relative to fullscreen?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Baron Porkface posted:

is there a downside to running a game in windowed fullscreen relative to fullscreen?

Some games act weird like that, but in others it fixes problems,so not really

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a way to save an image being displayed using the weird css sprite function that, say, the little images for the games in a humble bundle use?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a way in Windows 10 user selection screen to just click the user and login without a password? My wife and I are the only 2 who use the PC, we don't want to type a password every time we switch users.

eta: I've done the netplwiz thing and the regedit thing but that only works for one user and only on startup. We'd rather just do away with passwords altogether.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

greazeball fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

You the man now dog?

Said about me, by a 70yo Chicago Teamster, to my Boss who was visiting the site: "that boy of yours over there is a motherfucker who knows what loving time it is, I'll drive a fork for him any day".

And, a producer sometimes I work for once got me hired for a gig that I invoiced like 10k for by telling her client: "you should hire bongwizzard, he is really helpful and clever, I'm sure we can find something for him to do".

Both incredible complements, both not interview anecdotes.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Do contracts for series regulars on TV shows have stuff about maintaining an active presence on twitter/instagram? Is there a certain point at which it tends to kick in (be it number of appearances, billing order, whatever)?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

You have a post in this thread an average of once every 4 days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

greazeball posted:

Is there a way in Windows 10 user selection screen to just click the user and login without a password? My wife and I are the only 2 who use the PC, we don't want to type a password every time we switch users.

eta: I've done the netplwiz thing and the regedit thing but that only works for one user and only on startup. We'd rather just do away with passwords altogether.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

Did you remove the password? ctrl-alt-del, change password and leave new password field blank.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

You have a post in this thread an average of once every 4 days.

I will start answering more then, I just didn't want to have a post avg of once in every 2 days.

How did you calculate that by the way?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there a way to save an image being displayed using the weird css sprite function that, say, the little images for the games in a humble bundle use?

If you use Chrome you can right click the image, click "Inspect" and then find the URL in the developer tools. They're declaring it as a background-image and also a data:image (meaning there's no actual image file, they've converted the whole thing to base64 and include it in the CSS), that's why you can't just right click and save the thing.

From there you can right click + open in new tab, and then right click + save. You could do this in any browser really, but the terms for things will be different.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Did you remove the password? ctrl-alt-del, change password and leave new password field blank.

I only see lock, switch user, sign out and task manager when I CAD. And I don't want to remove the password on my microsoft account, I use that to sign in to my laptop as well and I can't go no password on that. I just want this one machine to stop requiring passwords.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I will start answering more then, I just didn't want to have a post avg of once in every 2 days.

You've already maxed out your questions for today! Answer a question to ask more or pay 99 cents for five more questions!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I was just curious because I see your av a lot in this thread and it's a memorable one.

I just went to your post history in this thread and you have about 304 posts over 3 years and 5 months.

~1230 days / 304 posts = 4.046 days between posts

You also used to be able to click the number of replies on the thread link in the subforum to get a top posters list but I think it's broken now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 9, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

You also used to be able to click the number of replies on the thread link in the subforum to get a top posters list but I think it's broken now.

It works, but you usually have to refresh a few times.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

It works, but you usually have to refresh a few times.

I was wondering about this the other day, it didn't work for me after about fifty tries so I gave up.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Knowing radium its rate of success drops as the thread length grows. I can only imagine the number of unnecessary joins being performed in that query.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

mirthdefect posted:

Do contracts for series regulars on TV shows have stuff about maintaining an active presence on twitter/instagram? Is there a certain point at which it tends to kick in (be it number of appearances, billing order, whatever)?

I don't know about contracts although it wouldn't surprise me, but I have heard at least one actor talk about pressure from the showrunners to have a twitter account and actively interact with the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't know about contracts although it wouldn't surprise me, but I have heard at least one actor talk about pressure from the showrunners to have a twitter account and actively interact with the fans.

Any public figure who is not paying a social media tendering company to do their social media for them is being shockingly dumb on a couple of levels. You have to think at least agents who depend on their clients not self-immolating to make a living get that by now. If a TV show does not similarly understand that, there's a lot of drugs being done to keep them isolated from reality.

Anyone who depends on the public not hating them to make their living should look at Iggy Azalea as a hallmark case of why celebs should themsleves stay the gently caress off of social media, and let someone do it for them.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 9, 2016