Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

I love her near-permanent :3 face.

Isn't that Kirari's deal. Or Miku's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Isn't that Kirari's deal. Or Miku's.

Shiki's :3: for science. Kirari is always happy-happy. And Miku is a cat.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In terms of facial details, Miku also has the moments where her eyes get wide in a sort of catlike way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

In terms of facial details, Miku also has the moments where her eyes get wide in a sort of catlike way.

That's VERY GOOD.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
psst watch cinderella girls

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

Marshmallow Kiss is one I don't like much at all. It's... "pop"py but not in the sense of "pop music", but like, it gives me a sense of bubbles popping, a kind of effervescence that, while it is in tune with Kirari's character, just plain isn't to my liking. It also feels irregular, which, again, matches her to a degree, but does little in terms of what I find appealing. But that's just me.
Nah, I get this too. It's not a song for me.

graybook posted:

Atashi Ponkotsu Android, though - that, along with Nation Blue, Orange Sapphire, and the other trio crop of Pastel Pink na Koi, Orgel no Kobako, Zettai Tokken Shuchou Shimasuu! [which I admittedly haven't listened to yet but will once the event hits] - these are all from the Cute/Cool/Passion jewelries! CDs, which each group 5 girls from the noted attribute together for a group song, and a single cover song for each of the girls. These group songs communicate a sense of character, but not individually, I feel - they're more for the 'character' of the attribute they represent. AtaPon is adorable, Nation Blue is poised and powerful, Orange Sapphire is energetic. Pastel Pink na Koi is soft, Orgel no Kobako is elegant, and I can't say anything about the third yet. But my point still stands in that they communicate the character of Cute, Cool, or Passion.

Yeah, one thing I do appreciate about the iM@S CG SS game is that all the characters are tied to one color. SIF is all over the place with colors for both characters and songs.

Like, how is Kaguya a Blue song. Blue songs should be like the Soldier Game series. Or the Winter song by BiBi. Or all 2 A-RISE songs.

You have an idea of what you're getting into with iM@S, less so for LL.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gonna hafta wait to read the rest cause I am busy with work at the moment.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yeah, one thing I do appreciate about the iM@S CG SS game is that all the characters are tied to one color. SIF is all over the place with colors for both characters and songs.

Like, how is Kaguya a Blue song. Blue songs should be like the Soldier Game series. Or the Winter song by BiBi. Or all 2 A-RISE songs.

You have an idea of what you're getting into with iM@S, less so for LL.

Part of this, I'd argue, is that for Love Live, the attribute thing doesn't seem to be as central to the song concept as it is in iM@S. Speaking only to CG because it's all I could feel comfortable with here, the Cute/Cool/Passion categorization of girls generally speaks a lot to their various characters, and that is further reinforced by the types of songs you see them singing (most of the time, like with the exception of, say, rainbow-attribute songs). Granted, there are also occasional muddy areas like ØωØver!!, since Miku's Cute-attribute and Riina is Cool-attribute, but the song is classified as Cute-attribute. As such, because the concept is preexisting and taken into consideration, it's just a matter of documenting it and referencing it correctly in the game.

On the other hand, though, for School Idol Festival, it's its own canon in the Love Live universe since there's the concept of the School Idol Festival itself, and a bunch of events take place that aren't in the anime. The anime did influence it to some degree, but that's also beside the point I'm trying to make here. Which is that the Smile/Cool/Pure categorizations are not in consideration (at least, I would argue) whenever the songs are created. I mean, the mobage came out in, what, 2013? That's about three years after Love Live! School Idol Project launched, and that's also three years in which the discography was able to grow. And I would believe that it's not all too likely that way back then, they were thinking "hmm we should have a concrete system to categorize these songs based on the kind of image/feel we want them to communicate". As such, I think I might say that the Smile/Cool/Pure attributes are retrofitted onto the songs, and used solely in SIF for the sake of a gameplay mechanic. (If the attributes also show up in School Idol Paradise, let me know, as I never had the system to play those on.)

There's less consistency in how the mechanic is forced as well between the two games. Owing to the importance of the three attributes in terms of giving an idea as to a girl's personality in iM@S CG, you will never see a girl with a card matching the attribute she was initially identified with - you will always have Shiki or Miku or Sae as a Cute-type, and never with a Cool or Passion card, however close they may come to exhibiting characteristics that could arguably recategorize them into one of those attributes. In School Idol Festival, though, there is some adherence to certain types for various girls - they exhibit a slight increase in stats compared to other cards of what one would expect to be the same strength when it comes to certain attributes (like how the three initial R sets have Rin/Honoka/Nico as Smile, Hanayo/Kotori/Nozomi as Pure, and Maki/Umi/Eli for Cool). But then they can be shown on cards with other attributes too.

tl;dr: Attribute characterization is a far stronger concept in iM@S than it is in Love Live, where the former takes it into consideration seemingly franchise-wide and the latter only considers it for one setting, and even then, not completely consistently.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The card typing in SIF feels a bit like the visual/vocal/dance typing in SS. Like, it's there, but even if, say, the best Nicos are cute type, it's not an important enough difference as to stop you from running an all-cool nico team.

Obviously, it's way more important than the vi/vo/da stats are, in terms of gameplay, since matching that to the song is only one bonus in SS. But I think it occupies an overall similar place. Different cards of the same idols can have different balances, apparently.
I just checked some Anyas and the R and the starry beach one are both pretty balanced, vo/vi/da: 30/29/30, and 43/43/44 respectively. But then the orgel one is 60/38/31, which is completely insane, but whatever. Although I'd probably need to find more multiples to see if that spread is just a weird thing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Ah true - I tend to forget about the visual/vocal/dance stats because my mode of thinking is mapped from SIF where the stats and attributes are simplified.

Jeez, almost makes me wish I had tiered for Orgel, but that was just way too much competition for my taste.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Called MegaBox and I apparently have to buy one ticket for each day.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also doing 3 Experts on the Challenge is better than doing 5 Hards, both in terms of points and possible prizes. I've gotten like 2 Golds and 6 Silvers off of like 12 (or 9?) Experts while a ton of Hards has net me like 5 Silvers.

1,000 points for 5 Hards versus 1,200 points for 3 Experts

What happens if you die? Do you lose all your prizes?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Called MegaBox and I apparently have to buy one ticket for each day.

The biggest difference performance wise of each day has been that during the second portion of the live, they perform subunit songs on the first day and solo/duo songs during the second day. Only a handful of songs by the whole group are different from day 1 and 2.

So that's something to consider if you only have the cash to buy one day. Of course they could mix it up and do something different for the final live.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trihugger posted:

The biggest difference performance wise of each day has been that during the second portion of the live, they perform subunit songs on the first day and solo/duo songs during the second day. Only a handful of songs by the whole group are different from day 1 and 2.

So that's something to consider if you only have the cash to buy one day. Of course they could mix it up and do something different for the final live.

It's the final live. No half-assing it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

It's the final live. No half-assing it.

:rip: Zepia

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
whaaaaaaatt

i just full combo'd an expert song during the challenge event

that one i posted earlier with the powerful team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YZSrDl-HPI

I mean I think I got saved 1 good note by the power up thing cuz i only had 4 saves left at the end, but then that just means that I only got 1 good note

still that's a 9 star difficulty song, although it seems easier than the others. But still, it's expert. Feels like progress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I DID IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Also doing 3 Experts on the Challenge is better than doing 5 Hards, both in terms of points and possible prizes. I've gotten like 2 Golds and 6 Silvers off of like 12 (or 9?) Experts while a ton of Hards has net me like 5 Silvers.

1,000 points for 5 Hards versus 1,200 points for 3 Experts

What happens if you die? Do you lose all your prizes?

Oof. I almost just found out. My understanding is that you forfeit some but not all of your event points, but I'm not certain about the gold/silver/bronze prizes. If you think there's a good chance of failure, it's almost certainly best to back out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oof. I almost just found out. My understanding is that you forfeit some but not all of your event points, but I'm not certain about the gold/silver/bronze prizes. If you think there's a good chance of failure, it's almost certainly best to back out.

Yeah, the first time I did Experts I got Trouble Buster on my 4th round and I'm pretty sure I failed that one normally so I didn't take the chance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can someone tell me what these products are.

https://fan-goods.jp/lovelive_6th/end.php

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It seems I've managed to theme my JP teams without really trying, beyond pulling from third year and BiBi boxes and perhaps being a bit more likely to turn lesser idols into seals.

The NicoMaki Smile team:

The NozoEli Pure team:

The all my favorite idols Cool team:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Can someone tell me what these products are.

https://fan-goods.jp/lovelive_6th/end.php

poster
I don't know maybe it's a glowstick?
shirt
"muffler towel", whatever that is
wristband     pompom
subunit-themed fingerless gloves and mittens
earmuffs
rubber charm straps
cat hoodie
jacket
duffel bag
keychains
pin     knit cap
sticker
slap wristwatch
pamphlet
various things from a gacha machine, I think

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just learned the event sometimes rewards you with more LP so that's cool.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

I just learned the event sometimes rewards you with more LP so that's cool.

Very strict requirements.

Ending with full stamina and all 1st year bonuses (easiest to get).

Others require you to FC or get S Scores.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poster
I don't know maybe it's a glowstick?
shirt
"muffler towel", whatever that is
wristband     pompom
subunit-themed fingerless gloves and mittens
earmuffs
rubber charm straps
cat hoodie
jacket
duffel bag
keychains
pin     knit cap
sticker
slap wristwatch
pamphlet
various things from a gacha machine, I think

Danke Can't Elope.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Very strict requirements.

Ending with full stamina and all 1st year bonuses (easiest to get).

Others require you to FC or get S Scores.

Yeah, I've just been playing normally. Looks like it's been rewarding me for S-ranking the score though.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
absolute nine is in the limited songs right now, do they usually do that

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Skwee posted:

absolute nine is in the limited songs right now, do they usually do that

It was a reward in the event if you scored high enough, I think.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Allarion posted:

It was a reward in the event if you scored high enough, I think.

oh idk what i scored

managed to FC pro my first try though cuz of playing it so much in the event.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I think you get that at 5,000 points, fairly easy if you put in any effort (14 S-rank plays on Pro).

Now to set aside 15 minutes to watch this story commu.

e: 29,104th place, I definitely overdid it. Used all those innocent stamina drinks with the expectation that it was going to be 9 days.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 9, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zenostein posted:

As for the bits about music, it's almost required that something like SS (and GF) focus mostly on image songs. Image songs for the most popular ones, in particular. That's how you get people to come play your game and buy your stuff, after all. Plus, as a practical matter you have to limit what you put in, because even if you just limited it to CG stuff, there's probably still a goddamn ton of music. Like, I don't think it's entirely a cashgrab when shiny festa is split into three different games. And like 2/3—5/6 of the tracks on each version are character/image/personal songs (there's some distinction there, apparently. It seems everyone there has image songs and then songs they're just sorta attached to or like), and then a few overlapping songs.

Polsy posted:

Agreed that the solo songs are often character songs, particularly so for their first song. It's interesting that you think it's bad, or at least not preferred, that they keep their character's voice when singing. In standard im@s, particularly, it would be a weird immersion break if they had a different voice on stage after you'd been talking to them in their character voice for 5 minutes, though that's not as applicable to CG/ML. Obviously this reasoning wouldn't carry over to LL which wasn't created as a game.
I guess it sorta is weird that I'd prefer not having the voices when you put it like that. I guess my response would be that, like in the case of Kirari's song, it doesn't always work out? Like, I'd probably rather something be a bit more generic-y and sound good rather than too faithful to the character if it ends up being a detriment. Not that it's always a detriment, but I feel like it might be preferable to tone it down in some cases. And sometimes I feel like some idols can't carry whole songs to themselves, like Nozomi or Kotori's songs. Hanayo can at least rap.

I think sub-unit songs are probably what I like the most in theory, cause you don't hafta cram all members into a single song yet still ensure that each member of the unit gets to play a prominent part. I really like group songs that have the characters sing solo lines, like Start;Dash and BokuHika.

Zenostein posted:

As for your first point, I think maybe you're saying CG's music sounds more produced? That's what I took from your comment about effects and things. That's probably true, but I think that's fine. Mostly because I've made the mistake of clicking on videos for 1st lives of LL, IM@s (original flavor), and CG. They're kinda dire, in various ways. But mostly, they're rough in a way that can be smoothed over in a studio. On the other hand, unless I go out of my way, I'll have no idea what the hell these songs are about, so they're all blanket j-pop to me, regardless of what the sorta questionable lyrics are actually saying.

I mean, if you go out past SIF and SS for a moment, GF's songs slide out genres way further — I'm not saying everything in SIF or SS would be right at home blaring out of a DDR machine or anything, but they mostly don't have shamisen as a major component. Although, I'm actually kinda disappointed the aikatsu game doesn't have some of the more weird songs in it. Japanese du-wop is pretty funny.
I guess to continue from the point above, I'm probably in favor of more generic-y sounding J-Pop as long as I know who the singer is? Which harkens back to the bias thing.

Also I think everything in SIF could work in a DDR machine. It would be magical!

Zenostein posted:

Also, the song that you thought was soft, maybe this charming song by noted near-mute Chieri? :colbert: it is a very nice and relaxing song. Well, of course I'd say that, most of my favorites are cute songs anyway Psychic Fire, on the other hand, is the sort of thing I'd probably drop in my eurobeat playlist that I sometimes put on when driving around.
Yeah, that's the song. I had to strain my ears to hear it the first time around. Initially thought my headphones had gone wonky.

Zenostein posted:

Also, in regards to your terrifying abomination, I want, in helpful youtube search format, because nobody's been so helpful as to make a playlist. It is a Haruka song, in some manner or another. Either she likes it or it's a character song — either way, it makes as much sense on the surface for her as anyone else. Point being, it's great. It's not particularly idol-y, but it's great, no matter whose voice it is in. Then again, your example is from the SP PSP games — the shiny festa ones are more like a straight rhythm game, rather than any mix/matching you can do in the console/arcade games.
I think this video has her possessed by the Devil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMdR1dyIwo

Zenostein posted:

All these words really just indicate how long I've had this goddamn post open. Terrible.
Imagine how long my posts have been open for. I had to copy and paste my first post into Word so I wouldn't lose it accidentally.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I guess it sorta is weird that I'd prefer not having the voices when you put it like that. I guess my response would be that, like in the case of Kirari's song, it doesn't always work out? Like, I'd probably rather something be a bit more generic-y and sound good rather than too faithful to the character if it ends up being a detriment. Not that it's always a detriment, but I feel like it might be preferable to tone it down in some cases. And sometimes I feel like some idols can't carry whole songs to themselves, like Nozomi or Kotori's songs. Hanayo can at least rap.

For what it's worth, I kinda hate Kirari's song. But I also really dislike hearing her talk in the first place, so there's my bais. I feel like part of the issue there is a combination of her having an especially anime-character-like voice and also that sorta effervescent sort of music that has a time and a place, I'm sure. Like, I think both of Ranko's songs work pretty great with Ranko's character's character. Then again, I like that sort of music, so I'm less likely to be annoyed by its existence and way less annoyed to constantly get it in those goddamn medleys. Seriously, that and susume otome were the most frequent, and there's four of the latter

quote:

I think this video has her possessed by the Devil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMdR1dyIwo

So I started that, thought "Yes, those costumes add an extra level of absurdity," and then looked away for a bit. I'm really glad I looked back when I did! Incidentally, those timecodes in the description are indicators, if you're super-impatient. The second one only really has any payoff if you've been paying attention, though.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I got it from this thread, but uh here's a few minutes's reading about Haruka and the power of darkness, I guess. It's in conveniently unpleasant-to-read pastebin format, so sorry for that. But のの Haruka is pretty funny, so there's that.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8OtleQmWQo

wat

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

quote:

(this was the age of ... the KOTOKO Princess Bride video ...)

This is still really popular, but it's also #1 in the all-time im@s video ranking, so it feeds on itself to a certain extent. It's a little weird because you can find thousands of similarly well-done videos but I guess it was one of the first. Also wedding outfits. See also this, ascii art fans.

Also also, I think I only posted this in the chat thread, but here's mildly popular fan character Kimo-Haruka crossing over with the Umaru OP, enjoy if you missed out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapGJTcc2RA

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
so i reached lvl 50 and got some song that wasn't tokimeki escalate. drat, i thought i was going to get tokimeki escalate.

e: oh wait playing that song gave me a new commu right away, and I see Mika

drat the game is just throwin songs at me now

Skwee fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 9, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I understand it but now I am sad.

Polsy posted:

This is still really popular, but it's also #1 in the all-time im@s video ranking, so it feeds on itself to a certain extent. It's a little weird because you can find thousands of similarly well-done videos but I guess it was one of the first. Also wedding outfits. See also this, ascii art fans.

And now I feel better. The ASCII one in particular is great. Man, that song just feels like a time when there were stepmania beatmaps showing up all over the place for everything. Weirdly nostalgic feeling for something I had no idea about.

quote:

Also also, I think I only posted this in the chat thread, but here's mildly popular fan character Kimo-Haruka crossing over with the Umaru OP, enjoy if you missed out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapGJTcc2RA

This is worse than the kancolle that is a snail for whatever reason, I think. I mostly mean the kimo-haruka, but then I watched more and saw more “interpretations” of it and oh no.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

This is worse than the kancolle that is a snail for whatever reason, I think. I mostly mean the kimo-haruka, but then I watched more and saw more “interpretations” of it and oh no.

Yeah, it's pretty baffling. I looked around a few other videos at the time and I guess the basic premise is it's the kind of cow thing you see at the start (it moos(?) in some other videos) but the further creatures based on it are bizarre.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
THEY ADDED ROCKIN' EMOTION

I AM SUPER HAPPY

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Still haven't pulled Kaede...

Am I gonna have to spend real dollars??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

Still haven't pulled Kaede...

Am I gonna have to spend real dollars??

The other reason I used up a bunch of stamina drinks was to get enough star jewels for another shot at Miho. The result: I got one new (Cool) SR and nine old Rs.