Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Idaho has a threshold for 20% so Rubio might have gotten schlonged there too. just drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Schnorkles posted:

Movers and shakers in Idaho

lol

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Rocks posted:

Idaho has a threshold for 20% so Rubio might have gotten schlonged there too. just lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

every pond has a big fish.

even if the pond is filled with cow poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Cruz won Idaho because he has the courage to eat a booger on live TV. Trump needs to escalate.

a booger? you call that a booger? that was barely a tonsil stone. trump is going to eat the biggest booger. its gonna be fantastic picture it, the biggest ickiest booger you've ever seen. it's going to be fantastic, you're gonna love it.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Rocks posted:

Idaho has a threshold for 20% so Rubio might have gotten schlonged there too. just drat

"Oh b-big Donald, c-can I have just ONE delegate, please??"

"NO!"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Question for Joementum or other legalese fans:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/ID-R

There's two different wildly different interpretations I can get out of these Idaho rules.

quote:

If one candidate wins more than 50% of the National Convention Delegates, that candidate receives all the National Convention Delegates. [Idaho Republican Party State Rules. Idaho Rules for Selection of Delegates to the National Convention and State Convention. Article VI. Section 3.(a)]
Otherwise, if at least 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the statewide vote, the National Conventions delegates are allocated proportionally to those candidates receiving 20% or more of the statewide vote. [Idaho Republican Party State Rules. Idaho Rules for Selection of Delegates to the National Convention and State Convention. Article VI. Section 3.(b)]
Otherwise, National Conventions delegates are allocated proportionally. [Idaho Republican Party State Rules. Idaho Rules for Selection of Delegates to the National Convention and State Convention. Article VI. Section 3.(b)]

Is this:

A. Trump and Cruz are the only two candidates who qualify for delegates, delegates split ~19 Cruz 13 Trump

or

B. Trump and Cruz are the only two candidates who qualify for delegates, delegates would have split ~19 Cruz 13 Trump, which means that Cruz received over 50% of National Convention Delegates, which in turn means he wins 32-0?

I have a feeling that we'll be hearing a LOT about this wording dispute.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rocks posted:

if the current percents stand Trump will be a few delegates over his target in idaho according to the perpetually wrong 538

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocks posted:

yaaaaaaaaaay!

I can't wait to see if he's gonna swing a Hawaii victory as a great night.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

2016 owns so hard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This is all going to culminate in Trump sucking his own dick on live TV

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Patter Song posted:

There's two different wildly different interpretations I can get out of these Idaho rules.

Is this:

A. Trump and Cruz are the only two candidates who qualify for delegates, delegates split ~19 Cruz 13 Trump

or

B. Trump and Cruz are the only two candidates who qualify for delegates, delegates would have split ~19 Cruz 13 Trump, which means that Cruz received over 50% of National Convention Delegates, which in turn means he wins 32-0?

I think this is actually B.

No, never mind. I think you have to win outright, because the "otherwise" comes into play because Cruz doesn't outright win 50%. Then the delegates are initially allocated and then the viability threshold happens.

Schnorkles has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Mar 9, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Patter Song posted:

Is this:

or

They left it purposely vague so people would pay attention to them

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
NYT just called Idaho for Cruz :suicide:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Patter Song posted:

This is like when you're in study group and everyone gets the same answer but everyone did it differently and you're all wrong.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Patter Song posted:

Is this:

or

it's A, a bunch of states with the same rules have already voted and many of them would have been winner take all under the interpretation of B

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Patter Song posted:

Fun* fact! Until 2007, the Northern Marianas Islands had A. looser immigration laws than the rest of the United States, B. A minimum wage one half that of the rest of the country, and C. extremely loose labor laws. This opened up a colossal loophole where corporations could set up sweatshop factories, import cheap labor, abuse them under horrible conditions with extremely low wages, and sell the goods in the US with a proud "Made in the USA" tag on it with absolutely no trade barriers. Since 2007 the minimum wage has reached US levels, immigration has been normalized, all the sweatshops have shut down, and the Northern Marianas Islands have declared bankruptcy.

*Not actually fun

CNMI didn't declare bankruptcy, it's pension fund did.

And while the sweatshop stuff is all true, (Thanks Jack Abramoff!), The economic collapse after 2007 wasn't just shutting down the sweatshops, at nearly the exact same time the CNMI chopped off two of its other economic legs; they attempted to raise taxes on airlines, resulting in Japan Airlines pulling out of the CNMI entirely (dropping tourism revenue drastically, I'd guess maybe 60-70%), and attempted to raise taxes on the US Military docking their ships, which resulted in the military parking all its pre-positioning ships a mile out to sea.

They have zero valuable natural resources other than their tourism and strategic military location. Flights to/from the Philippines were slashed after changes were made to the law that required testing for Nurses in the US to have to be taken in the US, so that mini-pipeline was shut down. Immigration control was forced upon them by the feds because too many shady Russians/Chinese were using it as an entry point.

I'm not going to even touch the political mess that exists there.

It has Problems. And the US has to stick by them due to the military significance of the location.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

msnbc is getting weird why am i still up

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Schnorkles posted:

So...

Just a quick thing why Cruz winning Idaho is a big deal.

Movers and shakers in Idaho [and utah (mormons)] have been all about Rubio. Big Endorsements, lots of money, a significant amount of gentle urging at church on Sunday. Rubio collapsing in Idaho means that he's lost the predominant culture in parts of Idaho/Utah/Arizona.

He's done, basically. And Idaho was the fork in it.

Was he... was he really not 100% done yet? Wasn't he coming in last place behind Kasich on Subpar Sunday?

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Patter Song posted:

Is this:

or

It's A. CNN already has 9 delegates to Trump.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

note the word "otherwise", and the lack of "50%" after that word

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

XboxPants posted:

Was he... was he really not 100% done yet? Wasn't he coming in last place behind Kasich on Subpar Sunday?

He was done, this was just the proverbial fork.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Does Trump have a chance in Hawaii or is that Rubio territory?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is great news overall though for Trump. Him winning big in Mi was great too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I live in a state where the plurality of my neighbors look at Ted Cruz and say "Yep, I'll have me some of that!"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Immortan posted:

Who knows, this night has been fun though

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So Kasichmentum was bullcrap after all.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Immortan posted:

Short answer is nobody knows, there's so few Republicans in Hawaii that it's impossible to tell what such a small sample size would want.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Can't blame 538 for this one when every poll was wrong.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Immortan posted:

ive been assuming so, purely for the pleasure of making an rear end of u

but iono they have some mormons and evangelicals too, maybe they'll vote for cruz

the actual hawai'ians itt have i think guessed that the small, establishment-minded, 'moderate' in scare quotes style of republican there would fall in line behind rubio. but maybe events have overtaken that interpretation

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Subterfrugal posted:

I live in a state where the plurality of my neighbors look at Ted Cruz and say "Yep, I'll have me some of that!"

Cruz is getting really popular in mormon land.

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Lycus posted:

Uh Hawaii hasn't even voted yet???

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lycus posted:

nobody, not even republicans, want to drink an entire gallon of blended alfalfa in one sitting

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Patter Song posted:

Is this:

or

It's A by convention. The Idaho GOP could make it B if they wanted because of the wording but it would cause a stink.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lyin Ted told Hawaii voters Rubio dropped out

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bernice Anders posted:

Can't blame 538 for this one when every poll was wrong.

Nah, not really, but I think it's funny.
I can blame the Very Smart People on twitter that pulled the wool over Harry Enten's eyes though.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

greenpapers is estimating 19-13 cruz-trump as far as idaho delegates go, so that's not such a big dent in the end. minor narrative boost for the wax golem

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

lamentable dustman posted:

msnbc is getting weird why am i still up

You're up watching MSNBC because it gets weird. There is no shame in this. Brian Williams ad-libbing is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Immortan posted:

I live here and I have no loving clue. here's my stances on why anyone could win:

Kasich : moderate , probably would appeal to most Hawaiians (but no one knows who he is and he didn't advertise here)

Trump: high turnout of enthusiastic supporters (theres a distrust of the fed government here too , and Bernie is playing well too)

Rubio: generally like able, plus actually tried to get votes by bringing surrogates and had ads on

Cruz: large Mormon population means turnout for the evangelical

I could honestly make a case for anyone. FYI one of the senators was a Carson supporter and now a Cruz supporter, and the other one took an "anyone but Trump" stance.

in conclusion: who loving knows.

• Locked thread