Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Migishu posted:

Milk em Larches. Milk em for every penny.

"Look, this is a larger job than normal, so I feel I should let you know that after xxx hours my rates go up"

yes he might stop working for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I get it. He is dating someone from there and still has friends there. Hard to not take 10 mins occasionally.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I call MY GIRLFRIEND :smuggo: at the station and walk her through troubleshooting the DSL array in the basement and get them back up and running.

I know its your girlfriend, but why did you have her doing poo poo and not also getting a consulting fee????????????

larchesdanrew posted:

Can I take three minutes on my ride into work to walk someone I'm dating through the process of power cycling a few modems so that the final hour she's spent the entirety of her midnight to 8am shift working towards actually happens? Yeah.
Eh, Ok fine. Still though, it's taking your expertise and using it. And your setting a bad precedent. You are enabling their lovely decision making and decisions in general. This place needs to hit rock-bottom.

Also, I don't know if this happened or not, but I just wnat to add that hypothetically your gf should have been cool with you declining to help if you decided to do so.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 9, 2016

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

KoRMaK posted:

Eh, Ok fine. Still though, it's taking your expertise and using it. And your setting a bad precedent. You are enabling their lovely decision making and decisions in general. This place needs to hit rock-bottom.

Also, I don't know if this happened or not, but I just wnat to add that hypothetically your gf should have been cool with you declining to help if you decided to do so.

i really really really hope this is sarcasm

"sure honey i'll help you my rate is $100/hr"
:goonsay:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Farecoal posted:

i really really really hope this is sarcasm

"sure honey i'll help you my rate is $100/hr"
:goonsay:
If your girl isn't willing to negotiate a good price for you then she isn't ride or die and you might as well start walking with that printer

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A user had moved to what I assume is a new desk and they noticed that when they plugged their phone in, nothing happened. They took the initiative to write down the jack number, go into the network closet on that floor, find their port number and plugged that into the switch. This is kinda impressive, and actually a few steps above what many of our t1/t2 people are capable of.

However, they noticed that while their phone booted up, it would error out and wouldn't login. They called the help desk, which did their usual 0 troubleshooting and passed it onto me. I called the person, and they went back into the cabinet and I had them trace the cable. They went from their port (B47) and found a port 47 on the switch, the user mentioned that there was a cable in that port previously, but the removed it. Port 47 on that switch just happens to be part of an aggregate interface to another switch in the closet. Which did its job on keeping the link up, just made the AE port flop for a bit. Moved them to a unused port, had them plug the AE port and things are back to normal.

This also coincidental solved a ticket that came in at the same time where everyone on the 2nd switch had a minor network drop.

While I'm kinda annoyed they removed a port that was in use, I'm really impressed someone was able to make the connection to the jack numbers, to the patch panel and to plugging things into switches. One of our previous computer admins never was able to figure that out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is one of those things where you have to praise them for their initiative, but remind them that those things have to be vetted before action is taken. Also, lock yo drat network closet.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

lock yo drat network closet.

Seems you wouldn't want that kind of access within reach of the much less capable t1/t2 people.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you don't lock it someone is going to use it for storage, get something tangled in the switch like a mop or broom. Then they will give it a good yank, keep pulling until the switch come out of the rack breaking it on the floor.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

If you don't lock it someone is going to use it for storage, get something tangled in the switch like a mop or broom. Then they will give it a good yank, keep pulling until the switch come out of the rack breaking it on the floor.

Or the wet mop becomes moldy cabinet that you get to clean. Lock your poo poo!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Welp. after getting screwed out of a job in November (same week Larches left the station) I might finally be getting back into the game as an engineer at an MSP. We'll have to see how today's meeting with the the owner/founder goes today and maybe I'll finally have an offer back on the table. :shobon:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

I call MY GIRLFRIEND :smuggo: at the station and walk her through troubleshooting the DSL array in the basement and get them back up and running.

Don't worry guys, he's getting paid. Just not in cash.

:dance:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

c0burn posted:

Indian English is very 1800s.

As is African English, in a lot of cases. Legacy of the good old Empire doncherknow :britain:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KoRMaK posted:

I know its your girlfriend, but why did you have her doing poo poo and not also getting a consulting fee????????????

Guys my dad is in charge of a network of facility management machines and they ran into a DNS problem when one of the company's switches went down. Should I charge my dad a consulting fee to help him with backup DNS ideas?!?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
My only concern would be culpability; I'm sure Larches knows what he's doing, but I'd never do anything for a business without operating under the protection of a contract or binding no-fault agreement.

Road to Hell and good intentions, etc. Or maybe I'm just paranoid after seeing various shady business go down in the financial sector.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Guys my dad is in charge of a network of facility management machines and they ran into a DNS problem when one of the company's switches went down. Should I charge my dad a consulting fee to help him with backup DNS ideas?!?

Are you likely to get a blowjob out of it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

spog posted:

Are you likely to get a blowjob out of it?

I'd carry a printer in the rain for a good blowjob.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Why do people have multiple pages of training courses they have to do? Isn't that a bit excessive?

I was annoyed by the 4-5 different security ones we had to do when I was at my last job, which was the IT arm of a defense contractor.
1. I'm at a hospital. Multiply the requirements you had by 3 to 5 times, depending on a person's role. Ain't it great?
2. That said, new hires should have a long list of courses--current people shouldn't. If they do, it means they've been slacking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KillHour posted:

I'd carry a printer in the rain for a good blowjob.

Nice very old reference.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes, unless you want to get roped into doing more IT work for other people free of charge. I'd charge a fee but then again, I'm not doing free work for a company I'm not employed with on my own free time, so opinions will vary. :shrug: Basically I see it as someone interrupting my free personal time to work, and you bet your rear end I'd be getting paid for it, regardless of relation.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Every time you leave a job cut all ties. Don't talk to anybody ever again even if they're your friends.

It's the only way to be sure.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
God damnit microsoft, YOU HAD ONE JOB TO DO

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 9, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005
They announced about a month ago they where going to start offering the upgrade to domain joined computers that update via Windows Update.

If your machines are running Enterprise, or updated via WSUS they will not receive the upgrade offer. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ilkhan posted:

God damnit microsoft, YOU HAD ONE JOB TO DO
Uninstall KB3035583.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Uninstall KB3035583.

That and KB2952664 nad KB2976978 are the biggies. Really everyone should be using WSUS and/or SCCM for patching.

They just released a "security" fix for IE today that in addition to fixing a remote code execution vulnerability also adds a "Get Windows 10" pop-up when a user opens a new tab in IE. KB313992, doesnt apply to domain joined computers. Yet...

Edit: KB3139929

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 9, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They just released a "security" fix for IE today that in addition to fixing a remote code execution vulnerability also adds a "Get Windows 10" pop-up when a user opens a new tab in IE. KB313992, doesnt apply to domain joined computers. Yet...
That's not enough numbers for a real KB?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My bad its KB3139929.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That and KB2952664 nad KB2976978 are the biggies. Really everyone should be using WSUS and/or SCCM for patching.

There is a registry key you can add that will prevent users from being able to preform the upgrade.

Here is the GPO I made with the reg key should work for windows 7 to 10 blocking as well. The key does not exist at all until you create it

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD DisableOSUpgrade
Value: 1

edit: thanks for the KBs I was going to start revoking them in my test environment to figure out what was going on. That's from a computer I was testing the patches on and wasn't looking forward to locating the KBs in WSUS.

stevewm posted:

They announced about a month ago they where going to start offering the upgrade to domain joined computers that update via Windows Update.

If your machines are running Enterprise, or updated via WSUS they will not receive the upgrade offer. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

More then a month ago, they mentioned it in December.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 9, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

pixaal posted:

There is a registry key you can add that will prevent users from being able to preform the upgrade.

Here is the GPO I made with the reg key should work for windows 7 to 10 blocking as well. The key does not exist at all until you create it

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD DisableOSUpgrade
Value: 1

edit: thanks for the KBs I was going to start revoking them in my test environment to figure out what was going on. That's from a computer I was testing the patches on and wasn't looking forward to locating the KBs in WSUS.

More then a month ago, they mentioned it in December.

Sweet man. You say the key doesn't exist until you create it so shouldn't Replace be Create?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Replace will make the key if it doesn't exist. It's set to replace in the off chance it does exist one some computer already and is set to 0. The other nice thing about that is you can set it to 0 if you do want to upgrade to windows 10 and make it as easy and clicking an icon and pressing upgrade. I don't really like create unless I want a user to be able to do something else.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

pixaal posted:

Replace will make the key if it doesn't exist. It's set to replace in the off chance it does exist one some computer already and is set to 0.

Makes sense, thanks!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Ghostlight posted:

If the CE had the technical capability of gathering any more evidence against Larches other than "oh yeah, he fixed that while you weren't answering your phone" then he wouldn't be in the position where he's resorting to a laptop mandala.

:golfclap:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Larches, have you considered seeing if you can get the station to hire your gf as CE? I can't help but suspect that she'd be better at the job than the current guy

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

Larches, have you considered seeing if you can get the station to hire your gf as CE? I can't help but suspect that she'd be better at the job than the current guy

That would just drag him back into fixing poo poo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ookiimarukochan posted:

A wind-up cymbal monkey with a broken turnkey would be better than the current guy. At least machines wouldn't be torn apart and left for dead for absolutely no reason.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A wind-up cymbal monkey with a broken turnkey would be better than the current guy. At least machines wouldn't be torn apart and left for dead for absolutely no reason.

rip bill

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I haven't approved anything new and users have the windows 10 update too now. No one seems to have noticed, just saw it myself. Something update that didn't show it before now does just great. At least it's only Windows Update with a fancy new icon and an ad for Windows 10 that they can't actually use.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Girlfriend's company got hit with a phishing attack...except it was sanctioned. She told me someone opened a suspicious e-mail and sent me a screenshot of it. I followed the URL in a VM because I wanted to see how lovely of a site it was and a page with the following message popped up.

It's a service provided by a company called PhishMe, they sell a product that lets admins send out their own phishing e-mails and track the results. She didn't click the link but apparently a few people did, I'm sure a "don't be idiots" e-mail from the InfoSec team will be forthcoming.

The e-mail was painfully fake too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Would have been better to have a credential box asking for email address and password, and had a logo vaguely related to the company on that page.

Clicking links is bad and deserves a scolding email. The people that lose their passwords to lovely phishing attacks need seminar training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Girlfriend's company got hit with a phishing attack...except it was sanctioned. She told me someone opened a suspicious e-mail and sent me a screenshot of it. I followed the URL in a VM because I wanted to see how lovely of a site it was and a page with the following message popped up.

It's a service provided by a company called PhishMe, they sell a product that lets admins send out their own phishing e-mails and track the results. She didn't click the link but apparently a few people did, I'm sure a "don't be idiots" e-mail from the InfoSec team will be forthcoming.

The e-mail was painfully fake too.

My company uses and resells a service called KnowBe4 that does something very similar. Highly recommend it as a way to train your users to spot phishing- we try to deploy it to all of our clients.

• Locked thread