Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

QuietLion posted:

I'm loving the Devil Bringer so much that I'm slightly dreading not having it when I get to Dante. Though if Royal Guard is as great as I remember it from a previous game, then I think I'll get over the loss of the DB.

Oh you will, because one of my favorite little things in DMC4 is that Royal Guard can block anything if you're good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh you will, because one of my favorite little things in DMC4 is that Royal Guard can block anything if you're good enough.
Yeah, I just somehow got a perfect RG block on the frog boss body-slamming me. :psyduck:

One more thing I love is that the ground pound you can do with Gilgamesh can reflect projectiles if you time it just right. I managed to reflect an orb that two blue and one gold Angelo summoned entirely on accident, and it ended up killing all three and shooting my combo straight to SSS.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Go up look up DMC4 freestyle videos if you want to see the absurd things you can do in a DMC game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

QuietLion posted:

One more thing I love is that the ground pound you can do with Gilgamesh can reflect projectiles if you time it just right. I managed to reflect an orb that two blue and one gold Angelo summoned entirely on accident, and it ended up killing all three and shooting my combo straight to SSS.

I don't think the ground pound itself reflects projectiles, but the Angelo spirit ball attack can be reflected back at them with most attacks. Yes, this includes a Royal Guard counter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Project X Zone 2 has so many great little things in it, that ultimately stem from the fact that it respects every single franchise that it's using. It would've been so easy to be lazy about some of the titles it's pulling from, but they never are and it's great.

-At several points during scenes with Sakura Wars characters you can hear the jingle for relationship levels going up.
-M. Bison's bio describes him as using many different names and identities in different countries, because for some reason Street Fighter localizations kept shuffling names around in the early days.
-While most of the Resident Evil representation is pretty straight-faced, Jill's bio makes a point of calling her the Master of Unlocking.
-Phoenix Wright spends most of the game with no loving clue what's going on, playing a pretty good straight man... until like twenty chapters after his introduction, when one of the major villains is explaining something. Objection starts playing, the only point it ever plays in the game, as Phoenix interrupts her and dismantles her entire story.
-Basically any time Segata Sanshiro does or says anything. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cleretic posted:

Project X Zone 2 has so many great little things in it, that ultimately stem from the fact that it respects every single franchise that it's using. It would've been so easy to be lazy about some of the titles it's pulling from, but they never are and it's great.

-At several points during scenes with Sakura Wars characters you can hear the jingle for relationship levels going up.
-M. Bison's bio describes him as using many different names and identities in different countries, because for some reason Street Fighter localizations kept shuffling names around in the early days.
-While most of the Resident Evil representation is pretty straight-faced, Jill's bio makes a point of calling her the Master of Unlocking.
-Phoenix Wright spends most of the game with no loving clue what's going on, playing a pretty good straight man... until like twenty chapters after his introduction, when one of the major villains is explaining something. Objection starts playing, the only point it ever plays in the game, as Phoenix interrupts her and dismantles her entire story.

I don't think I'll be playing this game, but the character you mentioned in your last point has me completely and wholeheartedly supporting this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

graybook posted:

I don't think I'll be playing this game, but the character you mentioned in your last point has me completely and wholeheartedly supporting this.

You should play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

You should play it.

The context for this by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstcW9I7T50

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Three-pointer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbDzWPV_VGg (video not mine)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I actually did know the context for that - that is purely delightful. It feels like with a game that brings together so many properties, it would be a disservice to not be an instance of "little things: the game".

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Do you have a video of the Phoenix Wright moment?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alteisen posted:

Do you have a video of the Phoenix Wright moment?

Not in English, unfortunately, I found a video of it in Japanese, but that's all.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Not in English, unfortunately, I found a video of it in Japanese, but that's all.

Well that video led me to all the exchanges with the back up characters.

Holy poo poo Segata is amazing.:allears:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
In Rocket League you can customize your car with a bunch of paint jobs, accessories, and other stuff. One of the things you can customize is your car's "topper", which can be anything to a sombrero to devil horns. Any time you select a new one from the menu, it falls out of the sky and plops onto your car... unless you choose the pixelated "deal with it" shades, in which case they sloooowly descend from the top of the screen. :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In Rocket League you can customize your car with a bunch of paint jobs, accessories, and other stuff. One of the things you can customize is your car's "topper", which can be anything to a sombrero to devil horns. Any time you select a new one from the menu, it falls out of the sky and plops onto your car... unless you choose the pixelated "deal with it" shades, in which case they sloooowly descend from the top of the screen. :v:

I actually spent money on a car in that game because I'm not NOT gonna drive a DeLorean. The little wheels go sideways underneath you when you boost in the air.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f-ubrlPj20

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and it does a really nice little thing in the stealth sections. If you turn on Lara's detective vision (tomb vision, whatever) enemies will glow red if other enemies can see them, and yellow if they can't. That's it.

Such a simple thing, but I've always been annoyed in stealth games when you take an enemy out and all of a sudden everyone goes on alert because, oops, some rear end in a top hat on the other side of the map noticed the guy fall over. RoTR makes to easy to tell enemy sightlines, letting you do clever stuff like set up distractions effectively or work out vulnerable spots on their patrol routes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So I just discovered you can hold down the right mouse button to swing your arm around while you have the pip boy up in Fallout 4.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inferior posted:

I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and it does a really nice little thing in the stealth sections. If you turn on Lara's detective vision (tomb vision, whatever) enemies will glow red if other enemies can see them, and yellow if they can't. That's it.

Such a simple thing, but I've always been annoyed in stealth games when you take an enemy out and all of a sudden everyone goes on alert because, oops, some rear end in a top hat on the other side of the map noticed the guy fall over. RoTR makes to easy to tell enemy sightlines, letting you do clever stuff like set up distractions effectively or work out vulnerable spots on their patrol routes.

Prototype 2 has that too, and it's great. Especially since in Prototype 2 you're basically The Thing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Heroes of the Storm, blizzards moba, features a two-headed ogre named Cho'Gall who is controlled by two players. Cho controls movement, and has a few basic moves and one that sets up an explosion that must be triggered by Gall. In addition to triggering Cho's explosion, Gall has no mana and just shoots bullshit nonstop at the enemy. Their hero is uniquely huge also, and has special animations for mounting where instead of mounting your horse, you sling it over your shoulder and run faster from carrying it.

The little touch is that my friend who plays gall only plays gall with her husband, and because gall has no mana considerations, she's always blowing up Apple barrels and other environmental interactables that no one else even knows exist because no one else would use their mana or cooldown like that.

Also if gall holds down right click, which makes any other character move, you can only move galls head. You can go headbang as gently caress though which is most excellent.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Olaf The Stout posted:

Heroes of the Storm, blizzards moba, features a two-headed ogre named Cho'Gall who is controlled by two players. Cho controls movement, and has a few basic moves and one that sets up an explosion that must be triggered by Gall. In addition to triggering Cho's explosion, Gall has no mana and just shoots bullshit nonstop at the enemy. Their hero is uniquely huge also, and has special animations for mounting where instead of mounting your horse, you sling it over your shoulder and run faster from carrying it.

The little touch is that my friend who plays gall only plays gall with her husband, and because gall has no mana considerations, she's always blowing up Apple barrels and other environmental interactables that no one else even knows exist because no one else would use their mana or cooldown like that.

Also if gall holds down right click, which makes any other character move, you can only move galls head. You can go headbang as gently caress though which is most excellent.

I don't play the game, but I've heard about Cho'Gall. In addition to all that stuff, the game combines the names of the two people controlling them to get the combined name, using the first three letters of Cho's controller and the last four of Gall's.

Best example I've been able to find is when people named Assistant and Whole played them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasnt that two-player Ogre Mage mechanic originally considered for WoW?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasnt that two-player Ogre Mage mechanic originally considered for WoW?

That was one of Blizzard's April Fools jokes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it was the first WoW one too, from 12 years ago.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A fairly obvious one in Live a Live, which I've just got around to playing (Just started the Medieval story). Every villain has a name that refers to a character called Odio. The leader of the villain gang in the Sunset Kid's chapter is El Odio, the deranged computer in the scifi chapter is OD-10, the Villain of the Ninja chapter is called Oda Youu. I thought that that was cute. I'm assuming Odio is a central, maybe not revealed yet character that will eventually tie all the chapters together, maybe via mindcontrol or some sort of corruption, but I don't know yet as I haven't beaten the game yet :P.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

A fairly obvious one in Live a Live, which I've just got around to playing (Just started the Medieval story). Every villain has a name that refers to a character called Odio. The leader of the villain gang in the Sunset Kid's chapter is El Odio, the deranged computer in the scifi chapter is OD-10, the Villain of the Ninja chapter is called Oda Youu. I thought that that was cute. I'm assuming Odio is a central, maybe not revealed yet character that will eventually tie all the chapters together, maybe via mindcontrol or some sort of corruption, but I don't know yet as I haven't beaten the game yet :P.
man Live a Live owns

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Quick fact: odio means hate in Spanish

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

Ahhh, I only heard about that one second-hand years back, so never knew it was an April Fools joke.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

nimby posted:

During the first expansion some guys figured out how much agility and buffs they had to stack on a rogue so that with some debuffs on the boss, the rogue could dodge-tank. Only worked on Gruul and Illidan as they did no direct spelldamage to their main target.

I think you needed 4 or 6 people. Rogue, paladin and druid, forgot the others.

This was also supposed to be a mechanic in Everquest 2 from the beginning. Monks were to be leather wearing tanks with super high dodge to make up for it. It sort of worked, but there poo poo armor meant they would go "dodge, dodge, dodge, hit for 75% of your health." I grouped with a lot of monks and the mechanic just didn't work. Two failed dodges in a row and your tank was dead. Later on, they changed the class to be more like traditional tank classes focusing on high armor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a little thing but I like how in The Division they put a lot of effort into the double barrel shotgun. You load one shell at a time and if you only fire one you only reload one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

It's a little thing but I like how in The Division they put a lot of effort into the double barrel shotgun. You load one shell at a time and if you only fire one you only reload one.

Probably my favorite little thing in The Division is that under your standard "in magazine/total" ammo counter they show in smaller digits the number of rounds in your other primary weapon's magazine so when you're about to empty your gun you can tell at a glance if you can just switch weapons and keep fighting or if you need to find cover and reload both.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I like that when you're planning to sticky bomb someone, it not only shades the area of effect, it additionally highlights enemies who will be hit (shown with red line segments from center of blast) to explicitly let you know who all is about to get blown up.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
BROFORCE is free on PSN. It features The Brode (kill bill) Cherry Broling w/ machine gun leg, Ellen Ripbro, 3 different Arnold bros, 2 chuck Norris bros, Brochette, universal Bromander aka JCVD, and many more.

Gameplaywise its exploration and death mechanics are like meatboys, its combat is like a more tactical metal slug, and there is a heavy emphasis on digging and blocky stuff like terreria. It's 4 player and it makes me and my gamercrew laugh like idiots. Brode (Blade) tears poo poo up with his sword, Neo can teleport all matrixy, Indiana Jones has a whip that he can climb ledges with and his special move is 6 individual instantly lethal shots with his revolver.

Dope game go download it.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Mar 10, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All of the melee only characters in Broforce can reflect bullets with their attacks.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

If you get a spear stuck in the wall as Brodator, you can jump on it.

When you clear a level it cycles the light in the back of the remote through red, white, and blue.

Your melee attack becomes a high-five button if you're in range of a friendly.

Broforce is pretty alright.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In Saints Row 4 there's a mission where the game turns into a 16 bit side scrolling streets of rage type game, and it still retains your completely customized character in 16 bit form, down to the color of the font on my tshirt. Pretty neat touch.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Olaf The Stout posted:

BROFORCE is free on PSN. It features The Brode (kill bill) Cherry Broling w/ machine gun leg, Ellen Ripbro, 3 different Arnold bros, 2 chuck Norris bros, Brochette, universal Bromander aka JCVD, and many more.

Gameplaywise its exploration and death mechanics are like meatboys, its combat is like a more tactical metal slug, and there is a heavy emphasis on digging and blocky stuff like terreria. It's 4 player and it makes me and my gamercrew laugh like idiots. Brode (Blade) tears poo poo up with his sword, Neo can teleport all matrixy, Indiana Jones has a whip that he can climb ledges with and his special move is 6 individual instantly lethal shots with his revolver.

Dope game go download it.

I unlocked MACBROVER, his gun shoots dynamite and his grenade is a turkey with a dynamite stick shoved into it. :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

In Saints Row 4 there's a mission where the game turns into a 16 bit side scrolling streets of rage type game, and it still retains your completely customized character in 16 bit form, down to the color of the font on my tshirt. Pretty neat touch.

It's just your character rendered at a super low resolution and then scaled up without any aliasing and it's a clever technique and it owns

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
In Broforce one of the Arnold bros is the Terminator (Brominator I think) and he has the minigun from T2. Normally the minigun pushes you backwards, with escalating force as long as you hold down the fire button. If you use his special, he sheds his skin and goes full T-800, and for a brief time becomes strong enough to walk forward while firing.

That's not my favorite little thing about him. That would be the fact that if you are playing by yourself (or your friends are all dead) the fastest way to beat a level, bar none, is to face backwards and hold down the fire button while constantly jumping. It is the single fastest way to move in the game, bar none, and by several orders of magnitude. You can beat levels in under 30 seconds, and unless you get crazy unlucky the enemies won't even have time to say "what?" as you soar above them at Mach 2, spewing lead into the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Reminds me how that one toast you can do in Mass Effect 3 was taken from the beginning of Return to Zork.

I never played ME3, does it have a "Want some Rye? Course you do!" moment?