Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

This troper can't keep their gender pronouns consistent within a single sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Grades

Write

Teen

Oh great, another "lists of reasons why I'M the world's biggest piece of poo poo" post. If you brag about being sooo smart but too lazy to make your loving parents proud of you, you should be shipped off down the coal mines. See how you feel about that history paper in five years, Blacklung McShithead.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The Brilliant But Lazy troper tales page is a glance into the depths of hell and one of the more significant inspirations for me to try un-loving my life somewhat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like there is probably a huge crossover between troper tales and undiagnosed autism.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also self-diagnosed autism.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

walrusman posted:

Oh great, another "lists of reasons why I'M the world's biggest piece of poo poo" post. If you brag about being sooo smart but too lazy to make your loving parents proud of you, you should be shipped off down the coal mines. See how you feel about that history paper in five years, Blacklung McShithead.

I was blessed with the precious gift of life, given an education that third world kids dream about, and have enough brains to do something with my life that could actually make a positive impact. But naaaah. I'm going to spend my time writing erotic Supernatural fan fiction instead. Take that society.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SEX BURRITO posted:

I was blessed with the precious gift of life, given an education that third world kids dream about, and have enough brains to do something with my life that could actually make a positive impact. But naaaah. I'm going to spend my time writing erotic Supernatural fan fiction instead. Take that society.

Is this my blessing.... or my curse?!?!? I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS BURDEN

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The sheer amount of self delusion is hilarious. "I have bad grades and don't really work for them? I must be a secret genius". No poo poo bird, you're just looking at excuses.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is there ever a "This troper is actually a large unwashed man child that nobody likes and suffers from delusions of grandeur" post?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I was about ten years old, my dad called me into his home office for a moment. There was a bunch of incomprehensible code up on his computer screen.

“Press the enter key,” he said. I did. “Thanks,” he said. “I couldn’t bear to do it myself.”

And that’s the story of how I sent out one of the largest spam email campaigns of the 1990s.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kimbo305 posted:

This woman, who has had a legit career, apparently is a high functioning crazy person.
She answers someone's quora question for true scary stories with this:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-creepiest-thing-that-has-ever-actually-happened-to-you/answer/Michealene-Cristini-Risley
- someone (APPLE?) sends a kill voltage through her phone
- someone (Tim Cook?) snuck into her house and put a post-it note warning on her letter to Apple complaining about the phone
- she decided to give up making documentaries because of this unknown threat

I once got a package from Target with a handwritten post it note inside that said "I'm watching you"

I'm sure it was just some warehouse dudes goofing off with each other and not intended for me, but it was a little spooky :ghost:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Brilliant but Lazy troper thing is a front for someone's graduate research on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

Grades

Write

quote:

..he couldn't care less about his school work anymore..
Teen

I'm conflicted. The fact "this Troper" actually used that phrase correctly puts him well above the majority of people that post on the Internet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This troper can't keep their gender pronouns consistent within a single sentence.

Phew. I was worried for a second.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, if only life was more like their animes people would see their amazing natural talents and hail them as the geniuses they truly are.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The teacher is a woman. The sentence is clunky but the pronouns make sense.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
There is something inherently depressing about people whose lives are so completely boring that they have to make up outlandish stories on the internet for self-gratification

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

goose fleet posted:

There is something inherently depressing about people whose lives are so completely boring that they have to make up outlandish stories on the internet for self-gratification

And usually such lameass stories, too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Leavemywife posted:

And usually such lameass stories, too.

They're their own Mary Sues. Totally mundane in every way but if only senpai would notice how wonderful they really are.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Even in their imaginations they can't win

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My issue with these STDH's is more along the lines of is the admiration/respect of random strangers on the internet really that great a prize?

Because they had to take the time to think of a story, rephrase/spin it so they are the hero, and then post it online. From that point on it is a waiting game waiting bytheir computer for the upvotes or likes, or other units of internet approval.

So yeah, the person doing this is sad, but also the reward they receive for their sadness is pathetically worthless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

My issue with these STDH's is more along the lines of is the admiration/respect of random strangers on the internet really that great a prize?

Yes, because of the lack of it in their real life. Even from themselves.

When your life is crap (or you think it is), any affirmation can feel like a lifeline.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
These are not from Brilliant but Lazy; they're from Book Dumb. We started with BBL.

Dutch

quote:

This troper has had people calling her Super Ultra Crazy Insane smart (no, really) on multiple occasions. She's been able to outsmart almost everyone she knows, even people of 20 to 40 with the best educations out there, while she is only fourteen and won't turn fifteen until summer next year. Her intelligence is a lot in language: she knows better English than her teachers (and it's not her native tongue) and has to correct her teachers on improper use of grammer in both English and Dutch. Unfortunately, she's also very lazy and can't really be bothered to study: after all, she could be using this time for other things. Hell, even if someone forces her to study, she gets distracted by a nearby fly, or something. Her friends often describe her as a Real Life Shikamaru.

Books

quote:

This troper was pretty much self-taught from books at an early age, from a very non-intellectual environment, so was up to 6th grade reading level before even starting 1st grade. Unfortunately, non-intellectual environment meant that I didn't have any role models for pronunciation, so I didn't sound very book-smart to anyone who was more formally educated, though my close family saw me as book-smart but lacking common sense. Fortunately I was so far ahead in reading comprehension and vocabulary that no one really noted until late high school and early college, when other students had caught up enough to recognize jumbled pronunciation and misused grammar. By then I'd gathered more streetwise, which caught up to and leveled out with book-smart with a few years of junior college.

We now leave Book Dumb and find Bound and Gagged.

quote:

This Troper's friends often when bored at lunch and did odd things like taking the smallest guy (5'3") and put him in the biggest (6'4")'s hoodie and tied him up in it. Next then I saw was a black cloth blob Penguin walking floor space. Hilarity Ensues. Also, said Biggest had a jacket that was designed to turn into a straight jacket.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quote:

who sleepwalked through elementary and most of middle school

My elementary school said to me once "You know, you're talented but you can't make through life with just that".

So I eventually wisened the gently caress up and actually studied for an academic degree while this dumbass is bragging about his elementary school grades.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah I love the one of the 14 year old girl going "I'm so bright but *unfortunately* I'm lazy. Welp what do you wanna do about it, I'll just have to have bad grades, woe is me"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Do those people realise that in cartoons and anime the Lazy part is the character flaw that the hero must address? In Xiaolin Showdown, Raimundo is the Lazy but talented one, and he screws up multiple times due to cockiness and not listening. It's not until he addresses his flaws, locks himself in the room with the Shen Gong Wu Scroll and studies his rear end off for days straight about all the rules of the showdowns and the effects of the Wu does he actually become, not only competent but improves so much he becomes the eventual team leader. Omi inverts this, he starts off as a perfectionist, starts thinking of himself as perfect and Rai just blows past him because he stopped long enough for him to catch up, then surpass him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

Do those people realise

Nope.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

BioEnchanted posted:

Do those people realise that in cartoons and anime the Lazy part is the character flaw that the hero must address? In Xiaolin Showdown, Raimundo is the Lazy but talented one, and he screws up multiple times due to cockiness and not listening. It's not until he addresses his flaws, locks himself in the room with the Shen Gong Wu Scroll and studies his rear end off for days straight about all the rules of the showdowns and the effects of the Wu does he actually become, not only competent but improves so much he becomes the eventual team leader. Omi inverts this, he starts off as a perfectionist, starts thinking of himself as perfect and Rai just blows past him because he stopped long enough for him to catch up, then surpass him.

No, they're just aware the trope exists.

They probably did well through elementary school without trying. Then they hit middle school or high school, couldn't make As without trying anymore, and never realized they should start trying.

If you want to be generous, like, their teachers and parents probably kept acting like it was a big disappointment whenever this "A student" didn't get As, so the kids learn that either you do perfect or you might as well have failed, and doing perfect is just something you either are without effort, or aren't.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

These are not from Brilliant but Lazy; they're from Book Dumb. We started with BBL.

Dutch

Books

We now leave Book Dumb and find Bound and Gagged.

Bound and gagged was hard to follow. The others were too, but 'Next then' really threw me for a loop. Next then it was super poo poo and boring to boot!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

This is a really weirdly specific reference.

I haven't thought about that drat show in years

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wanamingo posted:

This is a really weirdly specific reference.

I haven't thought about that drat show in years

The last time BioEnchanted referenced a mediocre British sitcom from the seventies. There must be a trope about this.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

fliptophead posted:

Bound and gagged was hard to follow. The others were too, but 'Next then' really threw me for a loop. Next then it was super poo poo and boring to boot!

I think the general gist was they got the smallest kid in the year and tied them up in the biggest kid's jacket, which made them resemble a penguin (I guess waddling around with no limbs) and that the biggest kid's jacket could be tied up like a strait-jacket, so basically bullying.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

My elementary school said to me once "You know, you're talented but you can't make through life with just that".

So I eventually wisened the gently caress up and actually studied for an academic degree while this dumbass is bragging about his elementary school grades.

I remember in Pictures for Sad children they had a strip in which the main character finds an iPod that only plays peoples regrets. He hands it over to his flatmate and says something like: "potential was good to develop skills but now that you only have potential you are worthless".

Seriously, do they think that they are gonna land themselves a job interview with lovely grades, and somehow passing that leave the interviewer wide eyed and mouth open because they didn't make an effort throughout school? Do they think anime watching skills will translate perfectly into the workplace? Do they think anyone at all is gonna give a poo poo when they are not being coddled by their parents and society?

At some point they should notice that the best question to ask yourself when you are deluded in grandeur is "why me, and not someone else?" and realise they have little or nothing. Life is gonna come crashing down on this kids, hard. And I'll be laughing

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Furia posted:

Seriously, do they think that they are gonna land themselves a job interview with lovely grades, and somehow passing that leave the interviewer wide eyed and mouth open because they didn't make an effort throughout school? Do they think anime watching skills will translate perfectly into the workplace? Do they think anyone at all is gonna give a poo poo when they are not being coddled by their parents and society?

They read enough stdh online they imagine getting into an interview, giving a long speech about how much smarter they are than everyone, and the interviewer will be speechless and impressed, and they will be offered the CEO position which is just available for some reason.

Someone really needs to tell these people that our economy is based off people actually doing poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The last time BioEnchanted referenced a mediocre British sitcom from the seventies. There must be a trope about this.

I thought the character that the first one mentioned was from that show and thus the reference, but nope that's Naruto.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

They read enough stdh online they imagine getting into an interview, giving a long speech about how much smarter they are than everyone, and the interviewer will be speechless and impressed, and they will be offered the CEO position which is just available for some reason.

Someone really needs to tell these people that our economy is based off people actually doing poo poo.

I'm sure there's a ton of movies that do this but this really reminds me of Charlie Bartlett. While a great movie, it's completely unrealistic.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The weird thing about bragging about elementary school grades is elementary school isn't this difficult slog. Maybe it's harder now but when I was a kid in the 90s the only kids that struggled with it were the ones that had learning disabilities, the rest of us were just kinda coasting through. It's like saying I'm really good at video games because I can beat world 1 in super mario bros.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

FicusArt posted:

No, they're just aware the trope exists.

They probably did well through elementary school without trying. Then they hit middle school or high school, couldn't make As without trying anymore, and never realized they should start trying.

If you want to be generous, like, their teachers and parents probably kept acting like it was a big disappointment whenever this "A student" didn't get As, so the kids learn that either you do perfect or you might as well have failed, and doing perfect is just something you either are without effort, or aren't.

You guys need to realize that that's literally what having ADHD is like. You don't "learn to not be lazy" because you're aren't trying to be lazy. You learn perfectionism because you inevitably fail at half of the stuff you try because your brain is all over the place. Say you have to write an essay in 45 minutes. Whoops, accidentally spent 20 minutes staring at a blank page, another 20 having a debate with myself on completely unrelated topics that I got to on a string of related tangents to the essay, and then snapped out of it and did a rushed job because I was almost out of time when I came to. Now whoever told me to do this is angry at me even though I tried my hardest with the 5 minutes I had to do it. Repeat thousands of times for all sorts of different tasks. You give up because it's not worth it anymore, because it's gonna be the same poo poo regardless of whether you try or not, people call you lazy either way. Then their voices become your internal voices. "How worthless you are! Too loving lazy to get your work done." "Maybe if you just tried this wouldn't be such a problem." "Maybe you should just kill yourself, you're not worth anything anyway." Then the self-judgment extends to everything else. Get to college, and they offer extended time on exams, but at this point you're afraid to go outside, write a letter, or make a phone call because you know no matter what you're gonna do, people will hate your guts for it. "I can't go out, my hair looks bad!" "I can't write a letter, that takes too long and they probably won't accept it anyway." "I can't make this call, they'll think I'm just making excuses to not get my work done." So you go back to compensation activity A to avoid it all. For me it was playing video games or mindlessly browsing the internet for hours. Vicious cycle, because you get the same results as always, but it doesn't matter because you'd get them even when you tried.

Then I got medicated and holy poo poo. At first things didn't seem that different aside from me being able to focus hard on one task for several hours. It took me a while to unlearn the "perfectionism or nothing" strategy even after I was finally medicated for the issue. But here's the thing: the medication is exactly what I needed to even be able to become self aware and unfuck my life. I mean yeah, bragging about laziness doesn't exactly make sense, but when you spend half your life tied down by your own mind while desperately trying to do get the motivation to do anything productive at all, regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, what else do you do? If anything it's just the poster saying that they've learned to be helpless, i.e. a cry for help.

And, just to be clear, the poster in "Teen" literally said "I have Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny" so I didn't assume anything, at least about her in particular, but stories like that are not uncommon for those of us with ADHD. If anything, the disorder is in many ways the complete opposite of "ooh shiny", in that you wouldn't even notice the shiny thing since you went full 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon and started discussing the refraction of light with yourself 10 minutes ago and are now thinking about the political climate of Australia.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Which trope is this from?

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

oldpainless posted:

Which trope is this from?

It's from "gently caress you and stop treating with people mental disabilities like they're subhuman so we don't have to deal with this poo poo all day every day", man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Just ignore me, I'm gonna go get abused by my parents for 19 years then stay silent about it for the rest of my life when people start expressing the same lovely attitudes that lead to that sort of poo poo. Let's go stomp on some tard skulls, ha ha old chum!!!

• Locked thread