Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

Yeah, after seeing how the Ark got started and what they did to Polaris right out of the gate, Pike is pretty much being true to his heritage and upbringing. Arkers were also the people who forced Octavia's parents to make her live in the floorboards, floated people for whatevs, sent their own children to Earth to probably die, and did wacky poo poo like asphyxiate a huge percentage of their population. Sounds like Pike is on the Ark Program. Kane in particular seems to have evolved beyond that.

You act like they did this stuff for fun. They legitimately thought they were the last people alive and had to do everything to conserve resources so they could survive another hundred? years so the radiation levels were low enough to have the planet be hospitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And don't forget Mt. Weather could have contacted them, so they were assholes all along too.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I think the Pike situation was rushed because the show only had Lexa for a certain amount of episodes. They hurried the plot so they could get to this point before she was gone. Regrettable, but understandable.

Understandable, but possibly still the wrong decision. By devoting all their resources to fleshing out Lexa in the brief time they had her, they sacrificed all nuance for the Arkadia plot and destroyed audience sympathy for Bellamy. And now that Lexa is dead, the audience goodwill they got for developing her has turned into scorn and backlash, partly because they spent so much time on her. Now they are stuck with Bad Bellamy and any redemption they try to give him is, at best, going to be looked upon with suspicion (because what if the writers just decide to walk it back again?), and at worst, will earn even more audience scorn because Bellamy is now mathematically a worse murderer than Finn. Audience goodwill is a limited resource that should be spent carefully and invested wisely so it grows over time, but basically every decision the writers have made this season so far has resulted in a loss. They took stock out of Bellamy to invest in Lexa, and now they're almost broke. At this point, all they can do is cross their fingers and hope the City of Light pays off big.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Literally all of Clarke's love interests can be expected to die.

Buffy and the 100 are both shows where character love interests die as part of plot advancement. Let's look at the characters and their love interests who die.

(Buffy spoilers for the entire series)

Character - Love interest who dies
Giles - Straight Woman
Xander - Straight Woman
Buffy - Straight Man x2
Dawn - Straight Boy
Spike - Straight Woman
Willow - Lesbian Woman.

1/8 dead love interests is a lesbian.

1/2 of Clarke's dead love interests was a lesbian.

This episode was good, except that the flashbacks to the polaris stations were pointless and boring. The budget to model a new space station to depict something that we all knew happened in the distant past would have been better spent on almost everything else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol now "ALYCIA WANTED TO COME BACK" is trending on twitter. The writers must be outright panicking at this point. This isn't some CBS behemoth of a a show, this is the CW which relies on its cultist fan base to pick up the slack. I don't think I've ever seen so many fans pissed about a TV show before.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

This episode was good, except that the flashbacks to the polaris stations were pointless and boring. The budget to model a new space station to depict something that we all knew happened in the distant past would have been better spent on almost everything else.

I liked it but I kind of agree, it was fleshing out some stuff that.. we didn't really need fleshed out. It did show us Becka(I seriously hate this spelling...) injecting herself with the stuff and the neural-interface device, but it kind of just felt like the CW was like "oh poo poo we can totally just throw some explosions in... some SPACE explosions!"

I hope we're all completely wrong and Murphy turns out to get him and Clarke out, or somehow spin the tale so he doesn't get framed.

He just needs to eat more 100 year old wafers and party, that's the Murphy we know and love.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol now "ALYCIA WANTED TO COME BACK" is trending on twitter. The writers must be outright panicking at this point. This isn't some CBS behemoth of a a show, this is the CW which relies on its cultist fan base to pick up the slack. I don't think I've ever seen so many fans pissed about a TV show before.

Nobody cares about a few dozen people on Twitter.

It's easy to make something trend at 11am on a weekday.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It sure looks like more than a few dozen people to me.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't think I've ever seen so many fans pissed about a TV show before.

The 100's ratings aren't big enough to make this statement true. I would say near the end of any season of Game of Thrones has it beat for sheer number of angry fans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Azhais posted:

Strictly speaking didn't the whole grounder/skykru war start due to the rockets the kids sent up to say they were ok? I seem to recall them managing to hit and destroy multiple grounder settlements, which is why the warband went on the march in the first place.

If skykru would just stop murdering grounders this whole thing might just work out.

If you want to point fingers, Jasper got speared by a grounder in the pilot episode.

Grounders lied, Arkers died.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Wasn't the end of Dexter sort of peak angry fan? Certainly most people had checked out before then, but that was the TV point I recall the most people being upset by. Maybe BSG? That seemed like it had a lot smaller cultural penetration.

I'm curious why anyone wanting to see characters live happily ever after would be watching The 100. How many of the 100 are even still alive? The old saying that none one are gets out alive couldn't be more true for this show. I doubt that Clarke will RIP soon, but it wouldn't be the most surprising thing ever and she is by far the most (maybe only?) plot armored character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Acinonyx posted:

Wasn't the end of Dexter sort of peak angry fan?

Anyone who snapped when woodcutter Dexter was unveiled was clearly not watching the show in the Dexter thread fashion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean not for nothing but the Polaris crew did a really poo poo job there. "Begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky". "Ok, just hold on a minute.". "...begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky.". "Yeah that's cool, just give us a minute.". "....no really, dock now or we are totally blowing you the hell up.". "Yeah I see where you are coming from, but also one more minute.". "Well, guess it's time to kill a bitch." "NO WAIT WE ARE TOTALLY GOING TO DOCK NOW!". It's like who cares if you think she has a humanity killing AI, you weren't going to resolve that in the next ten seconds anyway. And there is no way to convey that information that wouldn't terrify the rest of the stations either. They tell you to start docking, just start docking really slow. Buy time. They got stupid and preachy and they ate some missiles for it.

To be fair it seems like Polaris had plenty of time to dock and/or explain why they suddenly stopped dicking maneuvers without a word and they didn't so it looked super suspicious. They gave them time and last warnings to begin docking and they didn't respond until the time was over. Boom.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Given that the station was owned by the crazy scientist chick it seems like the easy answer would be "crazy scientist chick has gone crazy and locked us out, we'll continue docking manoeuvres as soon as we space her and regain control" (or just "thrusters broke, we're working on fixing them")

Send out the message that you can't dock, not that you won't.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You act like they did this stuff for fun. They legitimately thought they were the last people alive and had to do everything to conserve resources so they could survive another hundred? years so the radiation levels were low enough to have the planet be hospitable.

Oh no, I don't think all that stuff was great or justifies Pike now, I'm just saying that's where he's coming from.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Astroman posted:

Oh no, I don't think all that stuff was great or justifies Pike now, I'm just saying that's where he's coming from.

Yeah Pike is stuck in the "humanity (us) must do whatever is necessary to survive" way of acting whereas Kane has realised that since there seems to be thousands of humans left, being so exceptionalist doesn't make much sense.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FiestaNinja posted:

Yeah Pike is stuck in the "humanity (us) must do whatever is necessary to survive" way of acting whereas Kane has realised that since there seems to be thousands of humans left, being so exceptionalist doesn't make much sense.

I just think it's basic tribalism. Every single authority figure in this show always goes on about "their people" and is willing to do horrible things to other people in order to keep them alive. Pike isn't really that much different then Mount Weather or really any grounder leader except Lexa. I mean the show is basically how the world was for most of human civilization (albeit with less people). :shrug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The show did make a pretty big deal about how unusual Lexa was as a Commander. Tribalism is one of humanity's oldest and strongest instincts. At base, shipping is really just another form of tribalism. That's why ship wars are so vicious and weird sometimes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

I just think it's basic tribalism. Every single authority figure in this show always goes on about "their people" and is willing to do horrible things to other people in order to keep them alive. Pike isn't really that much different then Mount Weather or really any grounder leader except Lexa. I mean the show is basically how the world was for most of human civilization (albeit with less people). :shrug:

Although ironically, while humans have devolved to tribalism (including the still "modern" societies of the Ark and Mt Wx), that is not what actually destroyed civilization--it was ALIE. While "tribalism" in the form of nationalism and countries was still clearly present in the near future of the show with it's armed space stations from various countries, for all we know humanity in that era was in the beginnings of a golden age of peace and erasing of borders. ALIE just hosed it all up because of something something overpopulation computer logic something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I think he's plenty different though. Half his people were killed fighting the Ice Nation, so he and his folks became who they are out of necessity. Whereas Mt. Weather was capturing, torturing and sucking the blood out of people from the total safety of their mountain bunker. Sure, their rhetoric was the same, but unlike with Pike, they never faced an existential crisis.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I think he's plenty different though. Half his people were killed fighting the Ice Nation, so he and his folks became who they are out of necessity. Whereas Mt. Weather was capturing, torturing and sucking the blood out of people from the total safety of their mountain bunker. Sure, their rhetoric was the same, but unlike with Pike, they never faced an existential crisis.

:confused:

Are you serious? Mount Weather's entire existence was an existential crisis. Did you think they were sucking grounder blood for funsies or something?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

Are you serious? Mount Weather's entire existence was an existential crisis. Did you think they were sucking grounder blood for funsies or something?

:agreed:

They even mention multiple times how back in the good ole days of Mt. Wx they had people who would refuse treatments. Tell me that place isn't packed with cognitive dissonance and I'll show you an Ice Nation warrior with no tribal scars :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

The show did make a pretty big deal about how unusual Lexa was as a Commander. Tribalism is one of humanity's oldest and strongest instincts. At base, shipping is really just another form of tribalism. That's why ship wars are so vicious and weird sometimes.

It's spelled tribadism.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I mean they were getting poisoned by radiation and needed treatment, yes, but they didn't have to imprison people and suck their blood forcefully. They didn't even try to broker a deal with the Grounders. They just exploited their technological superiority. They had a choice and they picked the "evil mountain vampire" side. Even when Kane offered their blood willingly in exchange for the hostilities to stop, Cage declined.

Pike's group never had a choice. As soon as they landed, they started getting attacked, so they had to "harden the gently caress up" if you will in order to survive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a new episode this week?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

It's spelled tribadism.

I approve of this post.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

It's spelled tribadism.

:golfclap:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Is there a new episode this week?

Yeah, but it's going on a break after that.

Apparently Clarke might not even be in this coming episode. All Arkadia and Bellamy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why's it going on break?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Johnny Truant posted:

Why's it going on break?

mid season break because shows can't go for a full season anymore for whatever reason

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

mid season break

Goddammit I hate this series of words. :qq:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I have no idea why this show would need to go on break since all filming is done and Jason Rothenberg has apparently watched a cut of the finale.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Spergatory posted:

I have no idea why this show would need to go on break since all filming is done and Jason Rothenberg has apparently watched a cut of the finale.

because it's the hot new thing for tv shows to do

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hot as in steaming hot poo poo.

Netflix is the only ones who actually understand the viewer.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here in Canada we don't have a network that carries The 100 so I have to wait until Friday morning to watch it (or go to my parents who have some sort of massive cable package that gets them a CW station from Chicago I think).

I know we sometimes get ahead on broadcast TV when things like this happens, so I hope Canadian Netflix just keeps on pumping out the episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the reason I even asked is because all the other CW shows I watch are on break.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Do CW shows benefit from delaying important episodes into the sweeps period? Or are they so niche that this doesn't really matter

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, the good news is the break can't be longer than two weeks. They've got eight episodes left after this one and the finale is scheduled ten weeks from today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Do CW shows benefit from delaying important episodes into the sweeps period? Or are they so niche that this doesn't really matter

I have no idea. The DC comics shows just had a big winter break, come back for a couple of episodes, and break for another month?

Also apparently there is some downvote campaign brigade on imdb, The 100 usually scores high eights, low nines but the latest episode has a 4.8. That's not even the episode they're mad about it was the previous one, and that has an 8.7!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh no everyone who cherry picks episodes of a TV season based on IMDB ratings is going to skip it.

(What exactly is the goal?)

• Locked thread