Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

Had an amazing Eggs Benedict today from Olympia Provisions in the close-in east-side warehouse district of Portland:

They just put out a cookbook, somebody gave it to me for Christmas. Awesome cookbook, and anyone with an interest in making sausages in general or terrines, confit or rilettes, or any fermented meats like salami, should pick it up. Amazing cookbook. In that last section, they include a lot of recipes for their restaurant, and the eggs benedict is in there. It reduces white wine shallots, peppercorns, thyme, and champagne vinegar down to two tablespoons, then makes a hollandaise with that and egg yolks and butter of course.

The potato dish pictured are their 'laser potatoes', an really nice preparation of potatoes. Basically they slice potatoes and a smaller amount of sweated onions really thinly in a mandoline, then layer them into a dish and season them, roast them to crispy, then allow to cool, slice and re-roast them with a little melted butter. The end result is like a reconstructed potato, except it's this perfect wedge with a crispy crust and seasoned all the way through with an amazing layered texture. Definitely one of the most satisfying preparations of potato I've had in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

i gently will the beans into perfectly sized grains with my mind during my morning meditation

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
hollandaise sauce :getin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

I picked up a couple loaves from Ken Forkish's bakery today, figured I'd post some pictures. I didn't make these, but I'm pleased with how close to the product my loaves are getting.

This is Field Blend #3, a levain-culture loaf with rye flour, wheat flour, wheat germ, really thick and wholesome loaf. Pretty delicious.

I bought another loaf but I don't want to cut into it yet, so I'll post it later. Something is up with my photoshop license and it hasn't be squared yet so sorry for the weird color balance, GIMP's white balance poo poo is nowhere near as good as photoshops.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
It's been too long since I posted meat. Not an effort post but we had another of those prime t-bones for dinner. This one's got the best marbling I've seen in a steak that isn't Wagyu.

joke_explainer

Beautiful. How much were they? Dry aged before slicing?

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

Beautiful. How much were they? Dry aged before slicing?

I got an absolutely absurd deal...our purveyor had purchased a lot, and they were originally $13/lb, a case was 6 24oz steaks- that's $19.50 per steak, wholesale. That's too much, that makes for a $75 steak for the guest. They couldn't move them. After 3 months their coporate office started fining them...pretty much charging rent for the freezer space that was being taken up by product that wasn't moving.

So they started dropping the price, eventually to a loss. A few of the chefs in my restaurant, myself included, decided we would buy cases for ourselves once the price was right. Got my salesman down to $8.25, which works out to $74.25 for the case.

I honestly don't know what the aging process before slicing was, I didn't ask too many questions when that day's haggling started at $9/lb. These are prime grade T-bones, and I knew they were down to 50 cases. At that point I knew I would get them it was just a question of how low it would go.

They are very dry when thawed, I've had cryovaced steaks turn into a soupy mess when they thaw- these are very dry when they come out of the pack, virtually no drippage whatsoever. So that backs that theory up, but unfortunately I don't know for sure.

the unabonger
I bought myself a nice little konro grill nd some binchotan to burn in it. looking forward to making yakitori, robata, whatever else fits on the grill really...

alnilam

Bo pepp I'm making your pancake recipe (sorta) rn, excited about the results

alnilam

It was really good

Robot Made of Meat

I got my roommate a sous-vide machine thing for his birthday, and am looking forward to having tasty food to enjoy and photograph.

(But I'll probably eat it before it gets a chance to be photographed.)

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
ive been wanting to try sous vide.

the machines are a little pricy for a snap purchase. maybe after tax refund.

thanks Manifisto!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
you can just do it with a pot and a thermometer :shrug:

----------------

F2B
i just got introduced to the concept of hodog chili. it was on this tv show. I immediately went to sonic and got a chili dog

another type of chili is beef steak squares chili with cilantro and diced tomatoes

bacalou

chili dogs are my ultimate 'you shouldn't have eaten that' food but drat are they good with a beer

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

bacalou posted:

chili dogs are my ultimate 'you shouldn't have eaten that' food but drat are they good with a beer

aint that the truth

thanks Manifisto!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i've been baking bread every day for like a week now and my first loaf had just a tiny bit of sourdough like funk, but more dense than i'd like. Every loaf sense then has been bland, with a better texture, and i can't recapture the magic of that first loaf despite trying to use the same methods and ratios as the first one, or trying to use more yeast.

how do i make my bread more yeasty

----------------

om nom nom

Do you have a starter that you've been caring for, like something between a pet and house plant?

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
no, nor can i really in a household that frequently has the land ladies grandkids over

why was the first loaf so good :<

----------------

joke_explainer

Post your procedure and I can debug it!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Starred things are things i didn't do with the first loaf

*let yeast sit in warm water for 10 minutes

make starter, let sit *in closed microwave with two cups of hot water to keep it warm in there(the first loaf only sat for two hours, tried letting later starters sit for longer

add rest of water and flour, yeast and add salt and sugar

*knead dough (my first attempt it turns out I didn't actually know how to knead bread dough and just kinda mushed the lump of dough around in my hands for 5 minutes before deciding i didn't know what i was doing lmao)

let rise in greased and covered bowl for 1-2 hours depending on how cold the house is (first loaf was in a very cold house and didn't rise much over two hours before i started putting things in the microwave with hot water)

Punch down dough, cut in half and shape into two vague ball shapes

let dough rise for 45 minutes to two hours on a sheet pan *covered in cornmeal

preheat oven and baking stone to 375 degrees

put some water in a skillet to create steam in the oven

bake for 15 minutes before removing skillet

bake until browned, about another 15 minutes.

----------------

joke_explainer

try not kneading it. use this method to make sure the ingredients are mixed but don't mess around with it extra. sounds like you ended up over-kneading late loaves which can drastically change the texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoY7CPw0E1s

what yeast are you using? an actual starter isn't something you make with warm water. it sounds like you are blooming instant yeast, which is fine, but probably not necessary. I only bloom yeast when I need to confirm that it is alive. If you are checking that, it should be foamy and bubbly after a brief period of warming up, like 10 minutes. I also recommend cooking in a pre-heated dutch oven, which eliminates the need for steamy water in there and reduces lost heat from opening the oven and increases the initial spring step.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
It's active dry yeast, and checking it was a concern with the first few as I was using my land lady's yeast with a best by date of early 2015. Now it's just habit.

Don't own a dutch oven :(

joke_explainer

The first loaf sounds like it was primed for excellent oven spring when the loaf went in and wasn't overly stiff from the kneading. After resting in the final shape, it had a bunch of yeast just ready for a flurry of activity in that first few minutes in the oven before they start to die off. That's ideal.

There's a few details in the front of Ken Forkish's book that are great details to achieve consistent, good results with bread baking.

• Think of time and temperature as ingredients
  • Use pre-ferments when time allows (a separate container left to ferment to add to the final mix)
  • Use the autolyse method (flour and liquid mixed and allowed to sit at least 20 or 30 minutes before you add yeast, preferments or leaven)
  • Mix a wet, slack dough. A stiff dough results in a dense loaf. A slack, wet loaf won't, and with proper folding you can give it the ball shape you need to proof and bake it.
  • Allow complete bulk fermentation (Most recipes call for 'double in size', but wet doughs generally can triple in size during bulk fermentation)
  • Handle dough gently! (After the bulk fermentation, man-handling the dough will destroy the gluten structure and destroy the gaseous interior of the dough. During folding, shaping, placing into proof baskets or removing from them, be gently to try to manhandle the dough no more than exactly necessary.)
  • Proof properly (Don't underproof or underproof your loaves. Finger-dent test: Poke a proofing loaf with your finger making an indentation about 1/2 inch deep. If it springs back immediately, it's not proofed yet. If it springs back slowly and incompletely, it's ready. If it doesn't spring back at all, it's over proofed, and may collapse while baking). Proofing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw

So yeah. Every time you make a loaf, write a little note on paper (I have a notebook for this), noting the grams (or volume if you don't have a scale) of flour added, the grams (or volume) of water added, the temperature of the water and the temperature of the room it sits in, and the amount of time you spend proofing or in bulk fermentation / preferments. This will give you enough data to fine-tune your loaves. Every environment is different but without having that data it's very difficult to learn from a busted up loaf. If you really really really don't want to do this for some reason, I guess skip it, but just take note of it somewhere mentally. If you don't have a probe thermometer, there's lots of cheap ones. A scale and a probe thermometer would be great cheap additions to any baker's toolkit.

So with that in mind, I'd recommend you try a pre-ferment the next time you make bread. It makes an incredible difference. Here is the 80% biga recipe from Forkish's book:

The Biga:
Flour: 800 g white flour (6 + 1/4th cups)
Water: 544 g @ 80 °F (27 °C) (2 + 1/3rd cups)
Instant dried yeast: 0.64 G (3/16th tsp) (Not very much yeast to start with, but you'll see why!)

You mix this the evening before you plan to bake. Ferment time is about 12 to 14 hours.
(Clear cylindrical plastic food service containers are the best for this, since you need a 12 qt dough tub too). Bloom the yeast just to dissolve it: 3 teaspoons of 80 °F (27 °C) of water to the yeast and let it rest for a few minutes. Then mix the yeast, flour and water together and use the pincer method I linked above until just incorporated. Then leave overnight in an area 65 °F to 70 °F. (18°F to 21°C).

It'll be tripled in volume after 12-14 hours, slightly domed, pocked with bubbles and smell strongly of alcohol.

Bread:
Flour: 200 g flour (1 + 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp)
Water: 206 g, 105°F (41°C) ( 7/8th cup)
Fine sea salt: 22 g (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
Instant dried yeast: 2 g (1/2 tsp)
Biga: All of it from the recipe above (1345 g)

Mix it all by hand wetting your hand as you go to keep it from sticking.

Apply folds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQHuWDEo3SA

This loaf will need 2 or 3 folding actions (where you fold the bread around multiple times gently) (If you are doing the logbook thing, write down the # of folds you do.) It's best to do them in the first hour of bulk fermentation.

When the dough triples in volume, it's ready for proofing: About 2.5 to 3 hours.

With floured hands, you ease the dough out, pick it up and set it in a roughly even shape, cut it into 2 equal pieces with a dough knife or plastic scraper, fold both into a medium-tight ball, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPdedk9gJLQ

Then they go into your proofing baskets. Looks like you are using a greased bowl but I would highly recommend a banneton basket since you can just flour it and they seem to work better than bowls for me.

Then after proofing for just about an hour, they should be ready. Proofing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAfl1u0fIw

So you could, 20 minutes before baking, put one loaf in the fridge and then bake one immediately after the other. But the baking step sounds like its working fine. Other than you lacking a dutch oven, which are not crazy on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P10D3-Dutch-4-Quart/dp/B0001DJVGK 4 quart is the size you want. This will let you leave all the fiddling with the oven and steam off of your process here.

Oven is at 475 °F for this recipe (245 °C). Should be preheated for at least 45 minutes. If you have an oven thermometer check and make sure the oven temp is actually reflecting the set temp. It's about 30 minutes covered in the dutch oven then 20 minutes to 30 minutes uncovered after that until these loaves are done and they smell amazing, but yeah, I would keep an eye on it given no dutch oven. Let it rest on a wire rack at least 30 minutes before slicing and listen to that amazing crackle of fresh bread cooling and enjoy how your house smells amazing.

joke_explainer

There's a lot of different ways to make bread, too, so don't take this as the only way to do it or anything. I have only made breads out of Forkish's book, and they're all boules. Just had really great luck with his book. I think you would enjoy trying that method though, the product is amazing.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god this crackling sound is beautiful

----------------

the unabonger
When you all fry eggs, what do you use to fry it? I've lmost always used bacon fat but I don't have any right now and was faced with the option of using oil or butter. I was thinkin about browning the butter a little then frying the egg in that.

MrWillsauce

I fried two eggs over easy in bacon fat just now. I only broke one of the yolks. I want to thank you all for your love and support.

e: oops, I thought this was the goon meals thread. I am not worthy of this thread

the unabonger
if you didnt have the bacon fat what would you have used?

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
butter, always

----------------

joke_explainer

MrWillsauce posted:

I fried two eggs over easy in bacon fat just now. I only broke one of the yolks. I want to thank you all for your love and support.

e: oops, I thought this was the goon meals thread. I am not worthy of this thread

Everyone is worthy of this thread! It's for anyone to discuss their cooking dreams, trouble they've had with dishes, showcase nice things they made. Anyone can participate.

Pomp posted:

oh my god this crackling sound is beautiful

It's one of my favorite sounds. I've just pulled up a chair by the counter while it rested on a wire grate to listen while reading something and enjoying the wonderful smell of fresh bread. How did it all turn out? Did you achieve what you were going for?

I second butter by the way for eggs. I actually prefer it to bacon fat... which is fine and all, but I think having bacon on the plate and butter-fried eggs is a more tastier overall thing than bacon fat eggs and bacon...

joke_explainer

Salad dressing! Most of us probably make it. What are your favorite salad dressings?

Here's one I used last week:

Some lemon juice
A diced shallot, left in the lemon juice for like 15-20 minutes
Pepper
Parmesan

Food processor or immersion blend it, pouring in extra virgin olive oil to make a nice emulsion.

That's about the simplest dressing you can make and it's very tasty. Any other dressings you guys make?

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

Salad dressing! Most of us probably make it. What are your favorite salad dressings?

Here's one I used last week:

Some lemon juice
A diced shallot, left in the lemon juice for like 15-20 minutes
Pepper
Parmesan

Food processor or immersion blend it, pouring in extra virgin olive oil to make a nice emulsion.

That's about the simplest dressing you can make and it's very tasty. Any other dressings you guys make?

thats pretty much the exact dressing my mom and i make when we make "caesar salads" over summer (really its just romain and chicken and parmesan). we also do a balsamic vinigarette thats:
2:1 olive oil/balsamic vinegar ratio,
honey
dijon mustard
diced shallot
minced garlic
salt/pepper
then shaken to combine

and yeah generally when I actually have bacon with my fried eggs (not that often, I usually only make fried eggs for open face bagel sammies) I'l brown some butter and fry them in that.

the unabonger
ive been having a love affair with my konro:

(its an awful picture I know)

I really dont know whether its the grill itself or the binchotan charcoal but it cooks meat so tender its unbelieveable. that piece I was cooking fell apart as i tried to take it off the grill, and its definitely not the first piece that has done that.

joke_explainer

Isn't burning charcoal indoors a carbon monoxide risk?

the unabonger
probably but I use my back patio to cook it, I brought it in to take photos because the light is better here even though the photo still looks awful.

the unabonger
its a pain in the rear end because i cant keep the meat out there because charlie tries to eat it. i thought he would stay away from the meat on the konro because grill=hot but then the first time i used it he waltzed in with singed whiskers and a piece of chicken so i have to close the door whenever im not out there, which is the majority of the time so sometimes i burn the meat >:(

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i hosed up a lot of stuff while making the dough, and i got impatient and didn't let it ferment long enough, but i know what i'm doing now so i'll give a trip report when i get around to making another batch. RN i've got some dense, chewy bread. It's making for good toast but not much else.

----------------

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I like to make my guacamole with 5 avocados, with tomato, white onion, lots of lemon, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, dash of cumin, and garlic. What do you guys like, any special kicks?

its a superfood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i put an avocado on two slices of toast with salt and olive oil and sometimes when i'm rolling in the money i buy sardines and put them on it too

----------------