Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have a SD Gecko or whatever, someone made a better version of it you can download from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Elliotw2 posted:

If you have a SD Gecko or whatever, someone made a better version of it you can download from here.

Can't find one of these on Amazon or ebay hmm

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

flyboi posted:

I did a similar deal but use the snes gb commander controller. It's pretty awesome.

Dammit, thanks for reminding me of another thing I wanted to grab now that I have a little money.

Today I bought Road Runner's Death Valley Rally for the SNES. Rented the poo poo out of it as a kid, partly thanks to it being the cover game on one of the handful of issues of Nintendo Power I had. I remember the controls being pretty, uh, wild, and the game not being held in terribly high esteem, but drat if that stopped me from enjoying it.

Haven't popped it in again just yet but I'm looking forward to it. I have similar feelings about the Taz-Mania game.

There were a lot of Looney Tunes games on SNES.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Can't find one of these on Amazon or ebay hmm

If you own a Wii and Smash Bros Melee you can also load homebrew in a slightly more complicated method.

To be honest, if you don't, a Wii is probably cheaper than a Gameboy Player disc.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Unome

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey guys, I haven't read this thread in two years/ 50,000 posts but have they come out with a GameCube to HDMI adapter yet? I seem to remember something about them being very expensive and I'm looking for a way to play my GBA games on a nice big screen

My next option is finally having a use for my Raspberry PI but I'm not sure which emulator suite is best and the downside to going this route is I wouldn't be able to play my saved games on my various cartridges (Pokemon and Fire Emblem especially)

Edit: unless the easiest route is a homebrewed Wii and if that has a way to connect to HDMI

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 8, 2016

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey guys, I haven't read this thread in two years/ 50,000 posts but have they come out with a GameCube to HDMI adapter yet? I seem to remember something about them being very expensive and I'm looking for a way to play my GBA games on a nice big screen

My next option is finally having a use for my Raspberry PI but I'm not sure which emulator suite is best and the downside to going this route is I wouldn't be able to play my saved games on my various cartridges (Pokemon and Fire Emblem especially)

Edit: unless the easiest route is a homebrewed Wii and if that has a way to connect to HDMI

If you have an original DS or DS lite and a flash card, it's real easy to back up and restore GBA cart saves with a utility so you can rip your saves, play them in the emulator, then restore them.

The easiest route to emulate that stuff on an HDMI capable system would be through the vWii in a Wii U, but note that it will display at 480p. If you want it at a sharp 1080p resolution, a retropie setup is your best bet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

If you have an original DS or DS lite and a flash card, it's real easy to back up and restore GBA cart saves with a utility so you can rip your saves, play them in the emulator, then restore them.

The easiest route to emulate that stuff on an HDMI capable system would be through the vWii in a Wii U, but note that it will display at 480p. If you want it at a sharp 1080p resolution, a retropie setup is your best bet.

Nice, that settles that! I have FE saves on my EZF4 so I can just bounce back and forth then

Thanks!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Nice, that settles that! I have FE saves on my EZF4 so I can just bounce back and forth then

Thanks!

Yeah, I've used that trick myself to get around GBA Action replays being expensive as hell. (I mainly do it to give myself 99 of every TM in the Pokemon games because after playing the newer games that have unlimited-use TMs, single-use TMs you only get one of can get hosed.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

That's not entirely true, since it does get upscaled to 1080p, but it is rendered still at 480i/p according to the game and your settings. It does have far better compatibility than Dolphin though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Last night I was playing ghosts and goblins on the capcom classics collection and gently caress THAT GAME IS BULLSHIT. After spending like 45 minutes on level 5 (which has no checkpoint) I said gently caress it and gave up.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

If you own a Wii and Smash Bros Melee you can also load homebrew in a slightly more complicated method.

To be honest, if you don't, a Wii is probably cheaper than a Gameboy Player disc.

I have a hacked wii, this would mean using an emulator I guess? Maybe not a bad solution if it has decent compatibility

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Tusen Takk posted:

There are a few people building them and selling them. One of the guys whose youtube videos on the subject that were pretty popular was about to start making more to sell but apparently got hit by a drunk driver and is recovering and not making them yet.

Other people make and sell them though, but very small scale so who knows if you could even get one. I believe the schematics are available and maybe even PCB layouts as well if you have any experience with getting boards manufactured. I know the guy who reverse engineered the chip in the component cables made his stuff open source since he has no desire to make and sell anything, and others took it from there. I was just searching around a few days ago about that, but can't remember which sites had what. Shouldn't be too hard to search out.

However, these are boards that you have to solder in yourself. I don't think there are any solutions that just plug into your digital port yet (you'd still have to solder to get audio, or they'd have to do a funky digital + A/V port solution). I think someone was at one time working on 3D printing the port casing for when a plug-n-play type solution is available... but I think the people working on it just gave up and went for the internal board instead.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 8, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Coleco Chameleon has lost the Coleco brand, leaving it with, uh...

quote:

Retro has decided that the work that they have created is not sufficient to demonstrate at this time. Consequently, we can no longer proceed with the project and the Chameleon project will be terminated. This separation is amicable. We wish Retro luck in the future.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Annnnnnd the website and Facebook pages are gone.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

There are a few people building them and selling them. One of the guys whose youtube videos on the subject that were pretty popular was about to start making more to sell but apparently got hit by a drunk driver and is recovering and not making them yet.

Other people make and sell them though, but very small scale so who knows if you could even get one. I believe the schematics are available and maybe even PCB layouts as well if you have any experience with getting boards manufactured. I know the guy who reverse engineered the chip in the component cables made his stuff open source since he has no desire to make and sell anything, and others took it from there. I was just searching around a few days ago about that, but can't remember which sites had what. Shouldn't be too hard to search out.

However, these are boards that you have to solder in yourself. I don't think there are any solutions that just plug into your digital port yet (you'd still have to solder to get audio, or they'd have to do a funky digital + A/V port solution). I think someone was at one time working on 3D printing the port casing for when a plug-n-play type solution is available... but I think the people working on it just gave up and went for the internal board instead.

Ah, yeah, I'm okay with soldering and stuff but my GameCube is mint and I'm a sloppy fucker

I managed to grab a Silver Japanese GBPlayer before it got way more expensive to bring stuff over from Japan and while it's awesome, the only tv in my house that works with my GameCube is my old Sony CRTV in my basement :saddowns:

I've been playing GBA ROMs on my CycloDS Revolution flashcart but the original DS screen is tiny and i don't have the cash for a legit GBA flash cart (or any other equipment for that matter :rip:)

Maybe for my birthday :3:

Edit: for some reason my GameCube refuses to play the GBP disc even though every other disc I give it works fine and the GBP disc is in good shape... What gives??

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 8, 2016

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Elliotw2 posted:

Graphic tearing is really bad and really weird for me with this software. Also the GBA audio isn't as good when using samples (aka, Mother 3 don't sound as good). This is not a replacement unfortunately.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
There are different builds depending on what kind of setup you are using I.e crt, xrgb, 480p, etc. Have you tried the other versions?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

shyduck posted:

Annnnnnd the website and Facebook pages are gone.

From lovely Atari system to dental drill chassis to retrowank vaporware...where will the Jaguar shell appear next!!!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

From lovely Atari system to dental drill chassis to retrowank vaporware...where will the Jaguar shell appear next!!!!!

At this point the only way it can go any lower would be to feature prominently in a gruesome murder, or for a well-liked world leader to trip on one fatally or something.

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

univbee posted:

At this point the only way it can go any lower would be to feature prominently in a gruesome murder, or for a well-liked world leader to trip on one fatally or something.

I'm sure they can strike a deal with Kim Jong-Un or something.

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah, yeah, I'm okay with soldering and stuff but my GameCube is mint and I'm a sloppy fucker

I managed to grab a Silver Japanese GBPlayer before it got way more expensive to bring stuff over from Japan and while it's awesome, the only tv in my house that works with my GameCube is my old Sony CRTV in my basement :saddowns:

I've been playing GBA ROMs on my CycloDS Revolution flashcart but the original DS screen is tiny and i don't have the cash for a legit GBA flash cart (or any other equipment for that matter :rip:)

Edit: for some reason my GameCube refuses to play the GBP disc even though every other disc I give it works fine and the GBP disc is in good shape... What gives??

Is your Gamecube Japanese? the disc is region locked isnt it

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
It sucks that the Game Boy Player seems to be one of the very few pieces of Gamecube software you can't launch from SD. I have to disc juggle every time.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

ya, I don't want to dismantle the GC I have with the digital out (even though I only got it the other weekend at goodwill for $10). If I could still install the board in my GC without the digital out... I would.

For your disk issue, my instincts would be to clean that disk just in case, then disconnect and reconnect the GB player from the GC (also unplug the GC and push the power button on with it still unplugged). Is it spinning up but nothing happening? If you leave the lid open, turn on the console then close the lid when it gets to the menu, what does it show the disk as?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

African AIDS cum posted:

Is your Gamecube Japanese? the disc is region locked isnt it

This was the first thing I thought of. Using region locked hardware on a console from a different region don't work so hot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

I have a hacked wii, this would mean using an emulator I guess? Maybe not a bad solution if it has decent compatibility

No, this method is you loading the homebrew into a legit gamecube memory card using a Wii, and then using Smash Bros Melee to launch the homebrew menu.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

The Kins posted:

The Coleco Chameleon has lost the Coleco brand, leaving it with, uh...

Coleco: Alright, show us a working prototype.

RetroVGS: Uh...uh, WHAT'S THAT!? *runs away*

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

When even a shoddy IP owner doesn't want to license you their brand, you know you hosed up bad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

No, this method is you loading the homebrew into a legit gamecube memory card using a Wii, and then using Smash Bros Melee to launch the homebrew menu.

Ah ok I may have to try this

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

This owns. Between this, backing up gc isos for use on wii u, backing up gc memory cards, and just general homebrew, Wiis are so handy to have around. Good thing they're so cheap.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

What if Razor used it for their inevitable Touya console?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not sure who else I could tell this to, but one of my cousins got a Subor D30 for $5 on a scrounging trip. Any of you guys have messed around with them? Given the age and wear, and the complete lack of english on it it looks like one of the original early ones. Obviously not going to be valuable but could still be fun I guess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Caitlin posted:

This was the first thing I thought of. Using region locked hardware on a console from a different region don't work so hot.

It's worked for the last several years, but I did need to buy an american GBP disc since obviously the japanese one only works on japanese GameCubes :v:

FireMrshlBill posted:

ya, I don't want to dismantle the GC I have with the digital out (even though I only got it the other weekend at goodwill for $10). If I could still install the board in my GC without the digital out... I would.

For your disk issue, my instincts would be to clean that disk just in case, then disconnect and reconnect the GB player from the GC (also unplug the GC and push the power button on with it still unplugged). Is it spinning up but nothing happening? If you leave the lid open, turn on the console then close the lid when it gets to the menu, what does it show the disk as?

Hey this fixed it!! Thanks so much, I would never have thought to disconnect the ports since it's been together for so long.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Discount Viscount posted:

Dammit, thanks for reminding me of another thing I wanted to grab now that I have a little money.

Today I bought Road Runner's Death Valley Rally for the SNES. Rented the poo poo out of it as a kid, partly thanks to it being the cover game on one of the handful of issues of Nintendo Power I had. I remember the controls being pretty, uh, wild, and the game not being held in terribly high esteem, but drat if that stopped me from enjoying it.

Haven't popped it in again just yet but I'm looking forward to it. I have similar feelings about the Taz-Mania game.

There were a lot of Looney Tunes games on SNES.

I got it a while back and it's decent. Feels like they tried to make something slightly Sonic the Hedgehog-esque and just couldn't get the formula right. Road Runner feels really floaty and slow when he's not running and there's just too much platforming IMO.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey this fixed it!! Thanks so much, I would never have thought to disconnect the ports since it's been together for so long.

Its the hardware version of restarting... power down, disconnect everything, hold down power button for a bit, then reconnect everything... I've watched enough IT Crowd to know restarting is the fix to everything.

I assume some residual charge somewhere made it think the GB Player wasn't connected, so the disk didn't boot anything.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Quiet Feet posted:

Road Runner feels really floaty and slow

Needs more blast processing

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
THE JAPAN IMPORT GATES ARE (mostly) OPENED ONCE AGAIN!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/09/amazon-japan-video-games/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

THE JAPAN IMPORT GATES ARE (mostly) OPENED ONCE AGAIN!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/09/amazon-japan-video-games/

Doesn't work with third-party sellers even if fulfilled by Amazon which renders most of the retro needs moot. Also doesn't work on many of the products I've tried, so I've still gotta rely on Tenso for a lot of it. That said, since sales tax is deducted for international sales, it's quite cost-effective on the products where it does work, and it's fast, usually arrives 2 days after shipping; I've gotten stuff on "release day" (not really due to time difference but the calendar dates match) despite being on the other side of the world from them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Doesn't work with third-party sellers even if fulfilled by Amazon which renders most of the retro needs moot. Also doesn't work on many of the products I've tried, so I've still gotta rely on Tenso for a lot of it. That said, since sales tax is deducted for international sales, it's quite cost-effective on the products where it does work, and it's fast, usually arrives 2 days after shipping; I've gotten stuff on "release day" (not really due to time difference but the calendar dates match) despite being on the other side of the world from them.

Dang that's nice. I just grabbed DQ Builders because I got a load of rewards from vacation spending. Comparing the price to play-asia it's $10 cheaper with just play-asia's cheapest shipping option. ~$15 if you go with their premium. Can't wait to blindly stumble through dqcraft :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Just found out about this. Now you can get a physical copy of Ocarina of Time 3DS for $20 instead of paying the crazy high prices it has been. Pikmin 3, Yoshi's New Island, DK Tropical Freeze and others are all just $20.

flyboi posted:

Dang that's nice. I just grabbed DQ Builders because I got a load of rewards from vacation spending. Comparing the price to play-asia it's $10 cheaper with just play-asia's cheapest shipping option. ~$15 if you go with their premium. Can't wait to blindly stumble through dqcraft :toot:

Really hoping for a western release on that. Even though I have a huge backlog, I still buy DQ games at launch whenever they come to the US just to boost the numbers so they will bring more over. One of my few day 1 purchases.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 9, 2016

• Locked thread