Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well I've been getting a recurring glitch on my computer recently, audio gets choppy when playing youtube or twitch videos, but only that seems to be affected? really starting to bug me. (youtube isn't too noticeable but twitch is unwatchable)

I recently upgraded my RAM but I'm not sure if this started around the same time. I really only started noticing it after I got a new power supply. thing is I really have no idea how to start troubleshooting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
did you try turning it off and back on again

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

well I've been getting a recurring glitch on my computer recently, audio gets choppy when playing youtube or twitch videos, but only that seems to be affected? really starting to bug me. (youtube isn't too noticeable but twitch is unwatchable)

I recently upgraded my RAM but I'm not sure if this started around the same time. I really only started noticing it after I got a new power supply. thing is I really have no idea how to start troubleshooting it.

tried reinstalling the audio drivers?

could be a flash issue, does it happen with html5 videos?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
has anyone else tried using disconnect with firefox? ever since i installed it, my browser sucks up the cpu cycles and gets slow to respond to things like scrolling

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

(twitch is unwatchable)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

has anyone else tried using disconnect with firefox? ever since i installed it, my browser sucks up the cpu cycles and gets slow to respond to things like scrolling

blocking trackers can be tricky on some sites, try ublock origin as an alternative along with the built in firefox permission manager.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Dodoman posted:

tried reinstalling the audio drivers?

could be a flash issue, does it happen with html5 videos?

it was happening both for flash (twitch) and html5 (youtube) but flash was way worse off. I had reinstalled the audio drivers but no go.

I was starting to suspect it was a RAM timing issue or maybe the video card wasn't getting full power somehow? so I changed the slots my RAM was installed in and re-seated the connections on the video card, and now the problem has gone away. could have been either thing. also could have been related to all the windows updates that installed whilst I was doing this.

ayyyye

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whilst

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

great i need to use internet explorer for a thing and it suddenly decided it can no longer connect to literally any web pages, not even servers on my local network when i directly type in the ip address. ive disabled every addon, checked every connection setting, and restored it to default settings. every other program connects to the internet fine. this must be why microsoft is cool again?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the shaggar signal has been lit

expect a man in a white suit with a big cursive 'e' to appear at any moment

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

great i need to use internet explorer for a thing and it suddenly decided it can no longer connect to literally any web pages, not even servers on my local network when i directly type in the ip address. ive disabled every addon, checked every connection setting, and restored it to default settings. every other program connects to the internet fine. this must be why microsoft is cool again?

check that loving dumb proxy setting that likes to periodically enable itself and is responsible for 99.99% of "internet doesn't work" complaints

e: for picture. and gently caress you for making me use windows for 2 minutes

shitface fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

shitface posted:

check that loving dumb proxy setting that likes to periodically enable itself and is responsible for 99.99% of "internet doesn't work" complaints
that or do a reset

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i've heard it is painless and only takes a few minutes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anthonypants posted:

that or do a reset

i did check the proxy setting and also did a reset and uninstalled all plugins and everything else i can possibly think of. still doesnt work lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i did somehow completely cut onedrive out of my windows 10 some time ago, and now i need to get it back and working, and everything ive seen so far does not help

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

i did check the proxy setting and also did a reset and uninstalled all plugins and everything else i can possibly think of. still doesnt work lol

did you try the weirdass windows ipv4 voodoo reset thing in an admin cmd.exe

code:
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

kalstrams posted:

i did somehow completely cut onedrive out of my windows 10 some time ago, and now i need to get it back and working, and everything ive seen so far does not help

Try repairing windows via the rescue media?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ahmeni posted:

did you try the weirdass windows ipv4 voodoo reset thing in an admin cmd.exe

code:
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

no i guess ill try that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Try repairing windows via the rescue media?
eh, id like something less radical for now, i plan to reinstall windows later this month anyways, just wanted to transfer google drive stuff to it beforehand, so i don't have to redownload it to just upload it afterwards

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Try this then? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...25e19637?auth=1

quote:

See if running this helps:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update\OneDriveSetup.exe

(where USERNAME is your user name)

You also if you don't see OneDrive after trying this try restarting the computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tried that one, though i had to dig setup out of windows folder, but it was there nonetheless, and nothing really changed. i think ill go dig into registry later this evening, i probably did a funny somewhere ther

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

IE uses core windows networking functionality so if its not working you've done something really bad to your computer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

IE uses core windows networking functionality so if its not working you've done something really bad to your computer.

literally everything else works. its only ie that doesnt

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fart simpson posted:

that's because ie is poo poo and shagger is wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope. IE is the best browser and its not IE's fault you installed some malware that's loving up your networking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why would anyone write malware that specifically disables ie and does nothing else?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fart simpson posted:

have yiu tried running sfc/scannow
also if you are in safe mode with networking does ie have the same problem

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

why would anyone write malware that specifically disables ie and does nothing else?

it probably has disabled other things, but you're using a lot of 3rd party crap like fail fox or chome that doesn't use the same network components that you broke.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

nope. IE is the best browser and its not IE's fault you installed some malware that's loving up your networking

the only malware being mentioned here is ie the worst of the malware

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

it probably has disabled other things, but you're using a lot of 3rd party crap like fail fox or chome that doesn't use the same network components that you broke.

what????? software that doesn't use windows works more consistently??? I would have never guessed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no the other stuff doesn't work very well at all and it probably broke the windows stuff to make itself look better.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

no the other stuff doesn't work very well at all and it probably broke the windows stuff to make itself look better.

it's all a conspiracy!!!

or maybe it's just windows being poo poo as usual

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

that's not even malware, it's just software that respects the wishes of most computer users

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's not even malware, it's just software that respects the wishes of most computer users

I think the software he was talking about was a malware scanner which means it did its job

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

I think the software he was talking about was a malware scanner which means it did its job

oh hmm then, because malware scanners are bad and a sign that you have broken ideas about how computers work and also a bad OS

but the latter we knew because internet explorer is only available on bad OSes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

windows update works, does that use core windows networking features?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

fart simpson posted:

sometimes resetting ie to default helps

idk if youve tried that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i did

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol i just ran a malware scan and the only thing it flagged as malware was cygwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

lol