Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can you deconstruct DZ loot and get clean materials? I remember drops being pretty frequent there during the beta and it might be a decent way to grind blue and green gun dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can you deconstruct DZ loot and get clean materials? I remember drops being pretty frequent there during the beta and it might be a decent way to grind blue and green gun dust.
You don't get any materials from contaminated gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya you can

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Smelly posted:

I say if you want to craft, craft. Gear is so plentiful you will have no issues getting more materials.

I agree.

I have done some of it, to get a feeling of it. I know I probably waste some materials, but who cares.

What I am doing, and I never did in the betas, was pick every gear item, even gray items. Gray items break into green mats. When I have some downtime (maybe my group is deciding what to do next) I open the inventory and break everything I am not using). This will be enough to have a fat stockpile when I get to 30.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 9, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Croccers posted:

You don't get any materials from contaminated gear.

evil_bunnY posted:

Ya you can

Thanks guys, this really clears things up for me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Really wish there was a "Disassemble every item I don't have equipped" button.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw the AI troll 6 dudes and it was glorious. They were all at the extraction zone putting their loot in the chopper when a rioter runs in there and whacks one guy with his baseball bat. The 6 guys just start spraying everywhere, killing 3 of them and making the others go rogue. This attracted attention from some more people who join in the spraying of bullets everywhere followed by lots of yelling in Chinese.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BexGu posted:

Really wish there was a "Disassemble every item I don't have equipped" button.

Mark items as junk is pretty useful. Especially since it makes sense to keep different types of weapons around on your person vs in a stash at any given time.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Thanks guys, this really clears things up for me.

You can disassemble DZ gear, but if you do it while it's contaminated you don't get anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not being too much of a ~filthy casual~ for just playing through the main campaign on Normal first, right? I never got into the demo and I kind of like all the pug missions being relatively painless to complete. I can always just catch up at max level, right?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Dear game... Give me loving lockpicks

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Whatever happened to that feature where you could play using an Ipad or something? I remember thinking that was cool because my little brother has one and is poo poo at shooters, so he could still participate using that.

Also the dark zone is fun but the level difference is insane. Four level 10's were struggling to down a level 14 (granted when he did go down and got back up its because none of us realised the medic bag let you do that). Definitely worth staying out. My group are generally rogue hunters but we go rogue on occasion if its funny, we took out six people in one blast earlier and ended up having a rolling firefight all through the dark zone, even into the levels where we couldn't see the enemies levels as it was so high.

Baiting people into high level looters/cleaners is loving great. Getting your filter up to level 4 seems important too, as anyone chasing you after you've gone rogue will have to gently caress off if you sprint into the subway.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't understand many of the complaints I've been seeing for this game. For example, the Steam rating is around 50%, yeesh. Okay, the launch wasn't the smoothest ever, but it was pretty good comparitively. But the big complaint I'm seeing here is repetitiveness, about how the game is running mission after mission of killing people. Well... yeah? I get it, there is repetitiveness here, but what were you expecting? It is the nature of the game. I don't see how this game could be done otherwise, it isn't like you could do a lot more with mission designs. I'd rather just focus on killing people instead of fetch quests. It seems more like a critique over the idea of the game itself and not the gameplay. I could complain about how chess is played on a checkerboard design. Yeah. That's true. That's what makes it chess. You change that and it is no longer chess.

Besides, if you're feeling a bit dragged down, just enter the Dark Zone, and you'll perk right back up.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe all the complaints are from people who focus on the PvE game. I spent $80 bucks on the Gold version of this game because of its PvP. (I bought the Gold version because the idea that the second DLC will likely be a map-wide dark zone is what sold me on the upgrade.) If Division PvP was like Destiny PvP, I 100% would have skipped this game. Maybe asked my brother to get it on his Gamefly. Beat the single player in a few weeks and move on. The PvE seems like it is going to be a fun romp, but the staying power here is the Dark Zone, no question.

The Mash posted:

-Don't use any ressources on gear pre-30, all the resources translate entirely too well into level 30 gear and anything before that will be replaced super fast anyway.

Around level 10, I was still using my level 4 M4, and I was suffering from it. Thanks to crafting I was able to make a nice SCAR to replace it.

Don't be afraid to craft if you have a need. I would just say, don't care carried away. The idea here is that at level 30, the mats you used at level 10 are still just as viable to use, so you can horde. I have had no problem getting armor, so I'm not going to be using any fabric, and I'm not hurting for mods either. Good weapons seem a little more hard to come by, though, so if you're starting to feel soft, hook yourself up

gfanikf posted:

Mark items as junk is pretty useful. Especially since it makes sense to keep different types of weapons around on your person vs in a stash at any given time.

It is. My one problem is if I want to disassemble junke, it seems to do it to all the junk in that category, but not beyond. Yeah, I can junk three weapons at a time, nice. What about three weapons and the dozen of various armors I'm carrying?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Revol posted:

It is. My one problem is if I want to disassemble junke, it seems to do it to all the junk in that category, but not beyond. Yeah, I can junk three weapons at a time, nice. What about three weapons and the dozen of various armors I'm carrying?

You're doing something wrong because mine works exactly how you describe.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there some way to meet up with goons and touch guns? I'd be more interested in playing DZ with a little more organisation and slightly less chance of being shot in the back by my own team.

Also having to queue for that laptop at the beginning of the game is one of the funniest bugs I've ever seen.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not being too much of a ~filthy casual~ for just playing through the main campaign on Normal first, right? I never got into the demo and I kind of like all the pug missions being relatively painless to complete. I can always just catch up at max level, right?

You are doing it right, in my book anyway. Hard is not balanced, and just turn every mob into a tanky thing that need many mags emptied on them to die.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How are the level groups done in DZ? So far I've only seem 1-14. Okay, that seems like it just doesn't want you to join the DZ until you're around level 12, whatever. Does it stay that wide upon beyond that, or does it then become more like beta? I'm hoping to see 15-18, 19-22 etc or something like that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I junked the Agent weapons and backpacks and they all ended up back with the rewards vendor to claim again. They didn't give components when they were scrapped.

Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there some way to meet up with goons and touch guns? I'd be more interested in playing DZ with a little more organisation and slightly less chance of being shot in the back by my own team.

Also having to queue for that laptop at the beginning of the game is one of the funniest bugs I've ever seen.

Easiest way is to do a post like this:

Hi guys, looking for some people to do DZ with. Uplay name is yarpblat, add me and lets shoot people.

Edit: alternatively you can add everyone in the spreadsheet.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 9, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Sheep posted:

Easiest way is to do a post like this:

Hi guys, looking for some people to do DZ with. Uplay name is yarpblat, add me and lets shoot people.

Edit: alternatively you can add everyone in the spreadsheet.

Wrong person but I'm looking to group with people. Uplay is Blacktoll but I'm at work and can't add people back right away.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2016

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think Jim Sterling gives a good first impressions of why the game isn't soaring in user reviews. Pretty much matches my experience so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7YJYk9ubM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
For the life of me I don't get all the complaining in the thread about missions not being fun. I'm having a loving blast.

Also not understanding complaints about difficulty. If you're playing on hard, well, don't do that. But on Normal so far I've soloed everything and I've only died a single time. Killing bosses very easy now that I've learned how to be careful and use my abilities, how to play strategically.

In the beta I had some trouble with one boss even when co-oping, you just can't be stupid and careless. You die really fast if you're actually taking fire.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I just saw the AI troll 6 dudes and it was glorious. They were all at the extraction zone putting their loot in the chopper when a rioter runs in there and whacks one guy with his baseball bat. The 6 guys just start spraying everywhere, killing 3 of them and making the others go rogue. This attracted attention from some more people who join in the spraying of bullets everywhere followed by lots of yelling in Chinese.

This is exactly the kind of Battle Royale encounters that make the dark zone so loving fun.

Dezztroy posted:

You can disassemble DZ gear, but if you do it while it's contaminated you don't get anything.

Right, because until its decontaminated its not really "yours" yet. Makes sense to me.

exquisite tea posted:

No that's definitely the thing you should be doing. People who are loving around on hard and then bitching about the game being too hard are idiots.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lilspooky posted:

Sorry but poppin Trayvons in the dome still feels good here. :shrug:

My only disappointment is you don't get XP for shooting stray dogs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Revol posted:

I don't understand many of the complaints I've been seeing for this game.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe all the complaints are from people who focus on the PvE game.

Honestly I think the complaints mostly come from people who simply do not understand The Division yet, are trying to play it like Destiny or something else and get confused or something.

Because it really doesn't make sense. But at the same time, lots of people still seem to be struggling with basic concepts like how you play the game, what kind of things can you do on the map, what the dark zone even is, how do you form a party, etc. Basic poo poo that I figured out pretty fast, but... :shrug:

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
So the impression I'm getting is unless I'm going to PvP it isn't really worth the 60 bucks? Does that sound about right? I put about 40 minutes in yesterday and wasn't very impressed, but I haven't left the starter area yet. I think I have one more mission to do for that. I have little to no interest in PvP but I don't want to Steam refund the game before I give it a solid chance (Well as much of a chance as another hour+ will give it), because hey I like RPGs and it's rare to get a modernish set one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:siren: People having problems with black screens when you start up, try disabling the uPlay overlay, seems to help :siren:

I'm not having problems but I know a lot of goons were.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Revol posted:

I don't understand many of the complaints I've been seeing for this game. For example, the Steam rating is around 50%, yeesh. Okay, the launch wasn't the smoothest ever, but it was pretty good comparitively.
It's an Ubisoft game. If it was released under any other publisher (well... not EA) it would be getting less flak.
Look at GTA 5 for example. The story nonstop kicks you in the balls for having fun or trying to have fun (unless you cheat/hack) and the multiplayer is a borderline lawless clusterfuck of traps for microtrasactions and if you don't you get stuck with, you guessed it, repetitive content you need to grind alot to get better/cooler stuff. 9/10 on Steam.

Tei posted:

You are doing it right, in my book anyway. Hard is not balanced, and just turn every mob into a tanky thing that need many mags emptied on them to die.
If Hard was anything like in the Betas, your gear sucks/under levelled. Get better gear.
Apart from the Named enemies, they're tanky but like, that's their point.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

nessin posted:

I think Jim Sterling gives a good first impressions of why the game isn't soaring in user reviews. Pretty much matches my experience so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7YJYk9ubM

jim sterling is fat and dumb

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

crowbb posted:

So the impression I'm getting is unless I'm going to PvP it isn't really worth the 60 bucks? Does that sound about right? I put about 40 minutes in yesterday and wasn't very impressed, but I haven't left the starter area yet. I think I have one more mission to do for that. I have little to no interest in PvP but I don't want to Steam refund the game before I give it a solid chance (Well as much of a chance as another hour+ will give it), because hey I like RPGs and it's rare to get a modernish set one.

Eh, I would disagree actually. The map is loving HUGE and has a ton of missions on it, and you can co-op the entire thing or play it solo, without ever touching pvp.

Like, Division is essentially Assassin's Creed Unity only not poo poo, you can co-op every mission, and you have guns. Its a REALLY good co-op game, and a solid solo game too. Although to really enjoy it solo you'd have to be into RPGs and loot grinds, like diablo. But you do like RPGs...

So if you're into diablo, OR if you're looking for a borderlands style co-op shooter, OR if you like pvp, then get the division. If none of those apply, yeah, stay away.

Seriously though you could easily spend a hundred hours in this game just doing solo missions. The PVP isn't the only thing this game does, its just the thing this game does that's NEW that no other game really does. But it does standard single player pretty well too.

The starting area is really boring and you should get out of it fast. That said if you're not enjoying the solo missions this may not be your thing. But the "prologue" was pretty lame, at least get to manhattan and do some of the basic newbie missions from the beta.

As to "is this worth 60 bucks" that's an impossible question to answer because 60 bucks doesn't mean the same to all goons. How much disposable income do you have, no offense? For some 60 is nothing, while for others you've gotta really think about if this is the game you wanna spend your 60 on. So that's ultimately up to you pal. :cheeky:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Also not understanding complaints about difficulty. If you're playing on hard, well, don't do that. But on Normal so far I've soloed everything and I've only died a single time.

I think part of the problem starting out is that some elite mobs have the same clothing as a regular mob, only difference is the health bar.
So you'll go in blasting foos and see this lone thug stroll up to you out of cover, you'll unload your clip and realize you only took half his health bar away and now your dead because you didn't run away from the guy who wears titanium plated grey sweatshirts.

It's weird because the security unlock mission actually has a boss that's differently dressed to indicate he's actually harder to kill.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The trick with Hard mode missions is to play in a group, and flank/use threat effectively. I liken it to the Threat system from Army of Two almost.

Having effective builds also helps. I'm specced into Sticky Bombs, with the BFB upgrade, and the talent that causes them to do 40% additional damage when hitting multiple enemies. It's very satisfying to watch 3 purple enemies run in and just go "Nope, those guys are dead now."

I'll probably pair it with Seeker Mines.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Dear game... Give me loving lockpicks
someone explain locked doors/lockpicks to me
sometimes they seem to just be a shortcut which seems like a waste of a lockpick
one time I opened a locked door and there wasn't anything inside and no exit besides the now unlocked door

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think part of the problem starting out is that some elite mobs have the same clothing as a regular mob, only difference is the health bar.
So you'll go in blasting foos and see this lone thug stroll up to you out of cover, you'll unload your clip and realize you only took half his health bar away and now your dead because you didn't run away from the guy who wears titanium plated grey sweatshirts.

It's weird because the security unlock mission actually has a boss that's differently dressed to indicate he's actually harder to kill.

Yeah I definitely got rocked in the beta by some of the bosses, and that's the biggest difference, how I'm actually playing. People don't stop and think about "what did I do wrong?" they just blame the game and say its too hard.

I died to the tech wing boss in the beta like 3 times, it was really frustrating. In the full release, where I think if anything he had more HP, I killed him first try. Why? I was smarter about it.

You gotta play smart in Division. You die REALLY fast if you're actually taking bullets.

You can easily eat a spare bullet or two and then regen it, but if you're being hosed down then you can die in a couple seconds. You actually need to move around, you can't just find one piece of cover and marry it.

The game feels really fair for the most part, the grenade indicators are great and so much more noticeable than in other games like call of duty.

Its definitely easier to kill bosses with multiple people so you can trade off the boss' attention, but they're definitely do-able without much difficulty solo if you just play smart.

Admittedly one of the problems with this game is recognizing NPCs from PCs. The Dark Zone especially really needs to do more to make it clear which characters are players and which aren't, because we're all dressed for the most part the same.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So any fix on the weird alt+enter, black screen, resolution fuckery goin on with the PC version? It keeps on changing my resolution and does not work in fullscreen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:siren: People having problems with black screens when you start up, try disabling the uPlay overlay, seems to help :siren:

I'm not having problems but I know a lot of goons were.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So any fix on the weird alt+enter, black screen, resolution fuckery goin on with the PC version? It keeps on changing my resolution and does not work in fullscreen.

Seriously? I even added sirens dude. :v:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The only reason people could possibly dislike a game I like is because they are confused and don't understand it is something that someone has said in defence of every game ever and it never sounds any less dumb.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
are purple or yellow guys harder? I think yellow are but its hard to tell

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh wow, the Recalibration Station is pretty cool poo poo. Pay some Divcoins to reroll a lovely perk like +4% fire resistance to something actually good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

The only reason people could possibly dislike a game I like is because they are confused and don't understand it is something that someone has said in defence of every game ever and it never sounds any less dumb.

Cept I never loving said anything like that. There's plenty of reasons to not like the game and I even spelled them out above. Its definitely not for everybody. Its more of an RPG than a shooter, its heavily based on RNG loot grind, and I think the dialogue is extremely clumsy and the story is overall pretty stupid.

But if you hate the game because its too hard because you're playing on hard mode you're a dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

someone explain locked doors/lockpicks to me
sometimes they seem to just be a shortcut which seems like a waste of a lockpick
one time I opened a locked door and there wasn't anything inside and no exit besides the now unlocked door

I have yet to find a locked room/door that didn't lead to a loot crate. Most, if not all of the time they are Blue drops.

• Locked thread