Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Become a buff boy like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I

Shine posted:

You don't need to use any sort of powder to bulk.

not strictly true ... you can go for a swim and then roll around in flour to become the Stay puft man.

hemale in pain

you probably shouldnt bulk unless you're a bodybuilder anyway. you'll just get fat.

GoodbyeTurtles

When I first started at the gym I was put off of the protein shakes & powders by the bros dropping some knarly stink in the changing room toilets.

So without any of that I bulked up to like 180lbs from 150 then cut back to 160 after for the ideal climb bod

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 7, 2016

Piso Mojado

I use them only because I'm never hungry in the morning but I need something in my belly for when I work out (also in the AM), so it's a quick dietary supplement.

alnilam

I use whey powder mostly because I'm a vegetarian

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

I use whey powder mostly because I'm a vegetarian

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority

hemale in pain posted:

you probably shouldnt bulk unless you're a bodybuilder anyway. you'll just get fat.

Most people shouldn't "bulk" in the sense of gaining like 10-20lbs/month or whatever roided up people (or teenage boys) can get away with, but if you look in the mirror and think "I want to be bigger" then there's nothing wrong with putting on weight at a modest pace and getting more meat on your bones. Any appreciable amount of weight gain will result in both fat and muscle gain, but if you're shooting for like 2-4lbs gained per month then a large enough part of that will be muscle mass that you will look "bigger" and not just "fatter," and fat can be burned off at a later point to make the shiny new muscles pop out more.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I need to bulk so I'm the unique one 0:) if you eat a lot enough to get fat even if you're muscle training at like, an equal ratio to your calorie intake.. Then you're just being a monster, I just mean going from skinny to thicc. Like that's just common sense to not eat like a demon pig right. But either way I think a lil fat + muscle is sexy ;3

hemale in pain

ahh fair enough, i always associate bulking with just eating a poo poo ton to put on muscle as fast as possible

i guess it doesn't really mean that

hemale in pain

ARGHHHHHhhhhh

waiting for a parcel which has a delivery estimate of "sometime before 9pm today" lol

(no gym for me)

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

hemale in pain posted:

hemale in pain

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

it's too hot outside I don't like mainland humidity. I want it to be fall again so I can go for a run. I might melt it's too gross outside

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

AAB

ice hockey recovery meal: chicken caesar salad and a sam adams rebel ipa. 6.3/10

FAT32 SHAMER

my school load this semester is super heavy so I haven't been able to go to the gym nearly as often as I like to, but the great news is that it's given me an opportunity to bulk

I went from 155->195 in the last three months and it's been great

then once summer hits it's back to five mile runs every morning with my dog and picking things up and putting them down at night :3:

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Tusen Takk posted:

my school load this semester is super heavy so I haven't been able to go to the gym nearly as often as I like to, but the great news is that it's given me an opportunity to bulk

then once summer hits it's back to five mile runs every morning with my dog and picking things up and putting them down at night :3:

what do you like about being thicc and how good do you feel cuz that's a lot

FAT32 SHAMER

I'm 6'1" so I still look skinny instead of two dimensional but I like feeling bigger and knowing if I were to get assaulted while walking to a brewery in Detroit that I would actually be able to judo flip the shithead instead of feebly attempt to before getting squished like a bug

also my wife really likes it and is super keen on seeing some chiseled abs and rock hard biceps

Piso Mojado

Tusen Takk posted:

dude. 40lbs in 3 months is really dangerous if not impossible.

hemale in pain

woo i suck less at cycling now

FAT32 SHAMER

Piso Mojado posted:

dude. 40lbs in 3 months is really dangerous if not impossible.

hmm I guess it may be more like five months now that I think about it, I always forget that it's March now :shobon:

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm 6'1" so I still look skinny instead of two dimensional but I like feeling bigger and knowing if I were to get assaulted while walking to a brewery in Detroit that I would actually be able to judo flip the shithead instead of feebly attempt to before getting squished like a bug

also my wife really likes it and is super keen on seeing some chiseled abs and rock hard biceps

goals :blush:

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
my "erector spinae" is so sore

FAT32 SHAMER

txt me

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
ok

Drunk Driver Dad
i finally got around to foam rolling and stretching and so far it seems like it's really helped with my knee pain. hoping it was just tightness from neglecting that because the idea of not being able to squat was really depressing me. i guess i thought the fact i'm on my feet working for like 60 hours a week somehow did something to gently caress me up. which technically it did, i have minor carpal tunnel now, but hook grip on deadlifts is painless so that is manageable

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i finally got around to foam rolling and stretching and so far it seems like it's really helped with my knee pain. hoping it was just tightness from neglecting that because the idea of not being able to squat was really depressing me. i guess i thought the fact i'm on my feet working for like 60 hours a week somehow did something to gently caress me up. which technically it did, i have minor carpal tunnel now, but hook grip on deadlifts is painless so that is manageable

Do you do any running?

Drunk Driver Dad
no, but i need to do some kind of cardio. before my job i weighed about 155 and started lifting and built up mostly muscle to get to 170. then I got this current job and despite all the hours I work, i got up to 190 lbs. probably because i make money now and can eat whenever I feel like. And I get bored at work a lot and wind up visiting the vending machines. still, I'm 6'1 so 190 isn't really fat but it sucks. i'm wondering if I should try and cut some weight, or just roll with this and lift and just maintain.

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

no, but i need to do some kind of cardio. before my job i weighed about 155 and started lifting and built up mostly muscle to get to 170. then I got this current job and despite all the hours I work, i got up to 190 lbs. probably because i make money now and can eat whenever I feel like. And I get bored at work a lot and wind up visiting the vending machines. still, I'm 6'1 so 190 isn't really fat but it sucks. i'm wondering if I should try and cut some weight, or just roll with this and lift and just maintain.

I think you should try some light jogging as rehab for your knee, just don't go crazy or anything!

Drunk Driver Dad

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think you should try some light jogging as rehab for your knee, just don't go crazy or anything!

hrm maybe. I don't really have time, I can barely deal with 3 45 minute workouts a week. I work 10 hour shifts for 11 days in a row. I can try though. Is there something about light jogging that is better than just walking around all day like I do at my job?

What about HIIT? I always read its much more time efficient. I could probably handle 10 or 15 minutes of sprinting before or after my workouts.

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hrm maybe. I don't really have time, I can barely deal with 3 45 minute workouts a week. I work 10 hour shifts for 11 days in a row. I can try though. Is there something about light jogging that is better than just walking around all day like I do at my job?

What about HIIT? I always read its much more time efficient. I could probably handle 10 or 15 minutes of sprinting before or after my workouts.

No, I wouldn't suggest hitting it that hard, just try like a 7 minute jog, nothing too intense and see if that helps your knee at all. Think physical-therapy-style jogging, don't go all berserk.

Drunk Driver Dad

Matoi Ryuko posted:

No, I wouldn't suggest hitting it that hard, just try like a 7 minute jog, nothing too intense and see if that helps your knee at all. Think physical-therapy-style jogging, don't go all berserk.

ah, gotcha. Should I try it as a warmup before squatting then?

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

ah, gotcha. Should I try it as a warmup before squatting then?

I'd suggest doing it right afterwards, do your squats and then just go right into the jogging.

GoodbyeTurtles

When I lifted at the gym I'd always jog out there and back after, I mean it was only like 2 miles each way but it helped with my lovely knees

Piso Mojado

I've had a few knee surgeries now and one consistent thing they have always told me during rehab is "absolutely no running". In fact, that is why I started cycling to begin with, because it's a knee-friendly way to do cardio.

alnilam

M U S C L E S

alnilam

Every day when I go into work I exercise the rippling muscle that is my brain. Some days i go to the gym at work and exercise the other ones too.

alnilam

Scientists still don't know how much the human brain weights or how big it is, because it's all locked up in the skull, but they know it's the largest muscle and they suspect that it's even larger than the rest combined

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

the brain needs to be muscular enough to maintain its position as alpha muscle, leader of all the others. when the legs no longer respect it and break free from its absolute control is the moment things get ugly.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

hemale in pain

this sounds dumb but walking is actually really good for you and might be worth trying. it helped my hip when i had an injury there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

going to second the "maybe not running on a bad knee" thing.

trust me i'm an expert on being injured

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

• Locked thread