Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Smythe posted:

Google Fi, Brother.

Ha! I sometimes cheat on Sundar's glorious phone with the iPhone so Fi is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ochowie posted:

Ha! I sometimes cheat on Sundar's glorious phone with the iPhone so Fi is out.

:barf:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FistLips posted:

I have no idea what the definitions of 4G and LTE are where you are, but here in Norway (and I guess other parts of Europe), 4G is literally LTE. And LTE-A is called 4G+. Some phones will show either/or and some will show the difference between 4G and 4G+, while others, like the iPhone 6S and I guess newer Samsung devices only show 4G as long as they have either LTE or LTE-A.

I'm honestly not sure, it seems to have a different definition by country, is it by frequency/band maybe? My Note 5 (and my Nexus 6 previously) is definitely showing "LTE" right now, on Rogers in Canada.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm honestly not sure, it seems to have a different definition by country, is it by frequency/band maybe? My Note 5 (and my Nexus 6 previously) is definitely showing "LTE" right now, on Rogers in Canada.

4G is marketing, LTE is the technology. It has nothing to do with bands.

In the US, most carrier-branded devices have a nonstandard 4G icon with the carrier's iconography in place of the proper one. AT&T's looks like this:

And Verizon's looks like this:

Good phones will show neither.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well I think the note 5 will be my last Samsung and carrier phone. Text is laggy as poo poo and my Bluetooth range dropped to 1 foot with no real answer from samsung. Every one of their phones that I've had in the past 10-15 years has had some annoying, lovely, problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well I think the note 5 will be my last Samsung and carrier phone. Text is laggy as poo poo and my Bluetooth range dropped to 1 foot with no real answer from samsung. Every one of their phones that I've had in the past 10-15 years has had some annoying, lovely, problem.

And yet you keep buying them. Why would they fix their annoying lovely problems if they aren't enough to prevent you from buying their product again? If you don't demand better you don't deserve better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LastInLine posted:

4G is marketing, LTE is the technology. It has nothing to do with bands.

In the US, most carrier-branded devices have a nonstandard 4G icon with the carrier's iconography in place of the proper one. AT&T's looks like this:

And Verizon's looks like this:

Good phones will show neither.

I didn't know that, thank you!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't know that, thank you!

Just to round out your knowledge on this, even some Nexuses can have this changed if they're "married" to a carrier at least in theory. There is a vendor partition on modern Nexuses (I *think* starting with the Nexus 6) where assets like icons and boot splash screens will be stored once they've been initially booted with the SIM card inserted. I don't know if any US carriers actually take advantage of this (though obviously like RZA Encrypted found out, they certainly take advantage of the ability to restrict updates).

I've never seen a vendor partition in the stock Nexus images from Google so I have to imagine these assets are downloaded and stored on first boot and then preserved and updated through carrier-specific OTAs. Maybe once I update from my ancient Nexus 5 I'll see how it all operates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm loving that the standard update boiler plate Google put out...

quote:

this update includes a number of bug fixes that will improve overall stability, connectivity, and performance on the Nexus 5X. 

has every blog proclaiming that Google will be fixing the N5x jank in this update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

According to mobile standards criteria, HSPA+ qualifies as 4G and OEMs and at least American carriers take full and cruel advantage of this fact. AOSP-alikes typically declare the radio mode (H+/LTE/etc) over the mobile signal icon.

LastInLine posted:

AT&T's looks like this:

Weird; I always thought AT&T's looks like this:

They're pretty easy to confuse, though.

LastInLine posted:

Just to round out your knowledge on this, even some Nexuses can have this changed if they're "married" to a carrier at least in theory. There is a vendor partition on modern Nexuses (I *think* starting with the Nexus 6) where assets like icons and boot splash screens will be stored once they've been initially booted with the SIM card inserted. I don't know if any US carriers actually take advantage of this (though obviously like RZA Encrypted found out, they certainly take advantage of the ability to restrict updates).

Did any carrier except AT&T actually do that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

According to mobile standards criteria, HSPA+ qualifies as 4G and OEMs and at least American carriers take full and cruel advantage of this fact. AOSP-alikes typically declare the radio mode (H+/LTE/etc) over the mobile signal icon.

According to what criteria?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

has every blog proclaiming that Google will be fixing the N5x jank in this update.

Will it fix the god-awful battery life

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

According to what criteria?

The ITU said something dumb and regrettable a few years back (didn't name HSPA+ by name but said some 3G stuff could be considered '4G') and people ran with it.

It seems like 4G should have a clear line (namely, even the voice is packet-switched) but words don't mean things anymore.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Ochowie posted:

Is this the case with the s7? The system status seems to indicate it's on LTE but it seems strange.

Also, on another issue, has anyone been able to activate Samsung Pay on the s7? Whenever I click on the stub it tries to download but fails. I've only found one comment on it where someone called and got told it won't work until the 11th (which kind of makes sense) but I wanted to get confirmation.

On my att s7, I've got that symbol that says 4G LTE.

For your second question, my Samsung pay app was doing the same thing until I restarted the phone. Now I've got my first card linked up and used it at a convenience store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Weird; I always thought AT&T's looks like this:

They're pretty easy to confuse, though.

Did any carrier except AT&T actually do that?

You could be right on the AT&T 4G logo, I've never seen it in real life. I know it's got the bigger 4 but I thought it had flames or some poo poo too.

As for whether any carrier actually made use of the Nexus 6's vendor storage for carrier apps and branding, I'm not sure anyone ever did though I would've imagined Verizon would if anyone would. As far as delaying updates? I know T-Mobile pulled one OTA but I don't think anyone ever did what AT&T did and demand Lollipop builds for the security updates.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Now cards just disappear now and then on my 5x until a reboot. I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling updates, etc. It's a garbage phone. I will avoid LG in the future, Nexus or not.

Thank god for this http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/nexus-5x-update-lag-fix/ I hope it fixes this bullshit phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Google Now cards just disappear now and then on my 5x until a reboot. I tried clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling updates, etc. It's a garbage phone. I will avoid LG in the future, Nexus or not.

Thank god for this http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/nexus-5x-update-lag-fix/ I hope it fixes this bullshit phone.

bull3964 posted:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

And yet you keep buying them. Why would they fix their annoying lovely problems if they aren't enough to prevent you from buying their product again? If you don't demand better you don't deserve better.

I don't know if I've ever had a phone whether it be Nexus, iPhone, Motorola, HTC that didn't have annoying lovely problems.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The reason the blogs are proclaiming it the Lord Savior patch is because the Google guy on Reddit elaborated more in a Reddit post saying it should fix certain lag/performance issues. The blogs are still running with it but there's a little more meat to it than just the patch notes.

(posted from my running swell 5x)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh goddammit.

My history of Android:
HTC Evo 4G - haha wimax
HTC Evo 4G LTE - lol Sprint
Galaxy Nexus - poor camera, poor screen, chipset no longer supported by future versions of Android
Moto X - a great phone, sold to Lenovo no more updates
Nexus 5x - 420 reboot every day

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of interesting blog stuff, I was an Ars Technica article just a few minutes ago about the N developer preview being out, but now the article is gone. You can find a link with a Google search, but you get redirected to the front page.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Whaaaaat is this thing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Require More Fire posted:

Whaaaaat is this thing?

A camera you wear that does face recognition and automatically takes pictures? I mean I'm sure its much more sinister than that.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Google Pro

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

FogHelmut posted:

A camera you wear that does face recognition and automatically takes pictures? I mean I'm sure its much more sinister than that.

I can't wait to feed Google my data AND data about everyone around me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Whaaaaat is this thing?

Bringing us one step closer to this future.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking about terrible manufacturers.
OnePlus phones have been killing SIMs here in germany lately. Every 8-9 weeks your SIM in your OnePlus phone would just die without any explanation.
Carriers have now figured out why this is happening.
SIM cards can send a request to the phone to ask if certain features of the SIM are supported by the phone. On a normal phone it just replies with the supported services and the SIM card can use those and skip the others.
Well OnePlus never settles for just some supported features! Their phones report back that they support everything! Which they don't...
So the SIM tries to use a feature the phone doesnt support and gets an error message. Then it saves this error to the SIM, then it asks again what features are supported, well every feature of course!, then it tries to use them again, then it gets an error message and saves the error on the SIM...
This happens regularly in the background day after day after day...
The SIM can save about 100000-200000 of those errors before just dying, this equals to about 8-9 weeks of just having the phone running.
OnePlus has been "investigating" why this is happening for weeks now.
Affected carriers are now giving out special SIM cards for OnePlus users that skip the error saving so they survive for more than two months.
Never settle! for a regular SIM!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Whaaaaat is this thing?

Ran into it taking a GTM Survey this morning. No joke, the next series of questions are about how creepy I'd find that thing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why did you keep buying them?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ASUS got some nice reviews when the newest Zenfone series came out but they seem to be having issues lately.

Bloatastic Update To The ASUS Zenfone Selfie Brings A Bunch Of New Crapware

A Nasty Zenfone 2 Bug Is Gobbling Up Gigabytes Of Storage With Giant Log Files

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

We get it you hate Samsung.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

vyst posted:

I stop to look at whatever Samsung's selling any time I'm near a kiosk and not once in years have I ever seen a tablet or phone they were selling that didn't drop frames during simple UI operations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if I've ever had a phone whether it be Nexus, iPhone, Motorola, HTC that didn't have annoying lovely problems.

I went from a Samsung (loving awful) to a Motorola Razr HD (which ruled) to a Motorola Droid Maxx (which owned even harder). I haven't had an issue in over 4 years with my phones because Motorola, at least in my experience, makes really solid phones. That's why I'm considering going with a year and a half old Droid Turbo over the dumb poo poo Samsung is doing with the S7. Not saying they're the best brand, but they sure as hell have their poo poo together more than the other manufacturers. My only gripe is that they haven't kept up with the latest version of Android but honestly that doesn't bother me that much so whatever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I went Nexus S on sprint for like 5 days before realizing that no my old blackberry didn't have a bad radio sprint just had bad reception to swapping onto the family plan at AT&T with an Infuse 4G to a galaxy nexus import to this htc one m7.

I was considering the Galaxy S7 but "just once" not being there and the back button swapped are kind of deal breakers.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So, Ars Technica posted then pulled a "Surprise, the Android N Developer Preview is out right now" post, complete with details and links. So either their April 1st content is getting loaded, or there is something coming soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

havenwaters posted:

I was considering the Galaxy S7 but "just once" not being there and the back button swapped are kind of deal breakers.

You get used to the swapped back button in like 3 days....

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Not at all, I'm just saying if you're not happy with some product but keep buying it over and over what incentive would the maker of that product have to make any improvements? Whether it's a car manufacturer or a cereal maker or a smartphone OEM, if you keep buying them despite not being fully satisfied why would they assume they're doing anything but making you happy?

Part of this on the user not to continue patronizing businesses that aren't making them happy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Moto G3 with Android 6.0:

Every now and then my phone starts to run like garbage (very unresponsive, things take a long time to load, Facebook et al only show a blank white page, etc) so I restart it. Every single time I do this it softlocks on "Optimizing App 1 of 1..." and to get around it I have to wait maybe 10 minutes and then force shutdown and restart again. If I do it too soon it'll just hang on the optimizing message again. I've tried waiting it out but it still sticks around after several hours.

I may be wrong but is it likely that single app the phone fails to "optimize" is causing it to run like crap too? Is there any way to find out what that app is so I can finally kill it?

For the record: When I restart the phone while it's behaving normally this does not happen.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rastor posted:

ASUS got some nice reviews when the newest Zenfone series came out but they seem to be having issues lately.

Bloatastic Update To The ASUS Zenfone Selfie Brings A Bunch Of New Crapware

A Nasty Zenfone 2 Bug Is Gobbling Up Gigabytes Of Storage With Giant Log Files

These are annoying as I have a zenfone 2, but at the same time with my SD card I have 110gb of storage so is it really annoyingÉ