Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

:perfect: I didn't spot that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Three. Hours. Long.

Edit: Pssst, Tom...there's a typo in your comic...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Annie cracked the case, good work

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regy Rusty posted:

Annie cracked the case, good work

I'd love to see a crossover where Annie has to solve a case with the Bad Machinery kids. They'd think she was dumb as a rock and it'd be hilarious.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Hey, I don't keep up with various Gunnerkrigg news channels. Has there been any talk of further softcover book releases? Also, did anyone else with a vol1 softcover find the spine began to fall apart after just a few reads?

He said on Twitter a few weeks ago that volume three was coming out soon. And I've had no problems with the spine, even after lending it out to be read.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd love to see a crossover where Annie has to solve a case with the Bad Machinery kids. They'd think she was dumb as a rock and it'd be hilarious.
Homeschooled kids, man :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like every single comment is "What I thought they already told everyone I cannot read?????????????"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think they are trying to make her feel better by sharing a "secret" with her and nobody else. It is supposed to give Annie the feeling that she is part of the group and trustworthy.

It's stupid and weird, but they are teenagers.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

IUG posted:

He said on Twitter a few weeks ago that volume three was coming out soon. And I've had no problems with the spine, even after lending it out to be read.

Did I miss volume two? :ohdear:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This explains Renard's disappearance, Janet told him when they were off panel and he doesn't give a poo poo anymore.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Like every single comment is "What I thought they already told everyone I cannot read?????????????"

To be fair, you wouldn't have to be a complete idiot to misinterpret the pages in faraway morning as all the other kids reacting to their silly story as 'yeah we knew you were dating and we just don't care'. Bud's comment is also kind of easy to miss, and the post-chapter page is kids playing a nonsensical prank. Plus all of this is quite forgettable since it was originally posted about 5 years ago now. And the slow format works against accurate memories here. A page that builds up to 'we've been dating for ages' is likely to be what you remember, rather than silly pages about street racing horses or whatever it was.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
No, you should definitely be remembering the silly pages about illegal street racing horses and stealing gold in flaxen meadows more than the page where they say we've been dating for ages.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

ColdPie posted:

Did I miss volume two? :ohdear:

It's missing on Topatoco for some reason, but you can find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-2-Research/dp/1608867625/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VFEHZBJPV1H444PKXSX

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lurdiak posted:

The larger question is why every kid in that class is blind.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ohhhhh shiiiiiit

Thanks for the heads up!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I wonder if Janet's dad already knows his daughter is dating Vegeta, and he's totally cool with it and just pretends not to notice. Because he may be a total douchebag in a billion other ways, but he's actually a very supportive and loving father and if his little girl wants to have a "secret" love affair he's not going to spoil her fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

To be fair, you wouldn't have to be a complete idiot to misinterpret the pages in faraway morning as all the other kids reacting to their silly story as 'yeah we knew you were dating and we just don't care'. Bud's comment is also kind of easy to miss, and the post-chapter page is kids playing a nonsensical prank. Plus all of this is quite forgettable since it was originally posted about 5 years ago now. And the slow format works against accurate memories here. A page that builds up to 'we've been dating for ages' is likely to be what you remember, rather than silly pages about street racing horses or whatever it was.

Are you telling me you don't reread the entire archives at least once a week?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Exactly.

On this page the kids make it abundantly clear that they know that Vegeta and Janet are attracted to one another (just look at those eyebrow raises), and are then surprised to find out they've already been dating. When the kids stop listening to their dumb story, it is natural to assume they are thinking "these jerks are bullshitting about how they started dating," but apparently they were thinking "they're bullshitting a story, therefore they are bullshitting about everything and they can't possibly be dating after all" which just makes no sense. So apparently the stable boy street racing gold thief story made them all forget that Janet and Vegeta were obviously attracted to one another. It was a double-bluff all along, apparently.

Bud's comment is a clue towards the (apparently) correct interpretation, but then Bud is a crab and might not understand human body language, so he might actually be "blind" in this sense. I always thought that his comment was a bit weird; apparently it's because I didn't realize that Vegeta and Janet are the world's all-time best double-bluffers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Exactly.

On this page the kids make it abundantly clear that they know that Vegeta and Janet are attracted to one another (just look at those eyebrow raises), and are then surprised to find out they've already been dating. When the kids stop listening to their dumb story, it is natural to assume they are thinking "these jerks are bullshitting about how they started dating," but apparently they were thinking "they're bullshitting a story, therefore they are bullshitting about everything and they can't possibly be dating after all" which just makes no sense. So apparently the stable boy street racing gold thief story made them all forget that Janet and Vegeta were obviously attracted to one another. It was a double-bluff all along, apparently.

Bud's comment is a clue towards the (apparently) correct interpretation, but then Bud is a crab and might not understand human body language, so he might actually be "blind" in this sense. I always thought that his comment was a bit weird; apparently it's because I didn't realize that Vegeta and Janet are the world's all-time best double-bluffers.

they are teasing them, because those two have been publicly fighting forever, and they are teenagers

the kids aren't terribly observant and have a hard time parsing subtlety, also because they are teenagers, and fictional characters in a part of the comic where the traits of teenagers are being played up for jokes

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Because it's funny. GC is known to have comedy elements.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The situation always struck me as less the kids disbelieving them being together and more them just not paying attention.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

Exactly.

You are dumb.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's not dumb at all. The other students in the story around comic 930ish picked up on J and W regarding each other lovingly almost instantly. They aren't blind--it just seems the others were led astray by a clearly-hyperbolic story.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Sometimes funny things happen because they are funny.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Consider this:

If no one knew that Janet and Wins were a thing, then they either pressured him to ask Annie out, not knowing he was in a relationship and he and Janet went with it because ??? OR J and W were broken up and are now getting back together.

If they did know that Janet and Wins were a thing, then they either pressured him to ask Annie out, knowing he was in a relationship and he and Janet went with it because ??? OR J and W were broken up and are now getting back together.

Depending how you think of it, either the difference is irrelevant, or it makes Annie's friends complete assholes in the second option.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenagers.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Janet's face in the last panel is the epitome of "poo poo poo poo poo poo how do I back out of this"

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I love how consistently wrong this thread is about preempting character motivations

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Peer pressure is a dangerous thing kids

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mazerunner posted:

Ok so now that this page is out I'm going to guess that Winsbury liked Annie as a friend and was concerned for her. This got morphed by teen-telephone-hotline into Winsbury like-liking her. Since their friends don't know that J+W is a thing, they kind of pressured him into asking Annie, because it'd be a nice thing for her after she's gone through such a tough time. He and Janet went with it because ??? but obviously both are super not into it.

I think this bears out because while we've seen Winsbury showing concern for Annie, the only times this has been expressed as liking her was by Kat. He even had to be prompted to go to the side room.

blah blah blah :words:

Daius posted:

I love how consistently wrong this thread is about preempting character motivations

Not me, I'm incredibly right all the time

:colbert:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is it my screen, or is Paz extremely pink on today's page? I thought it was somehow being implied that she was angry or embarrassed or holding her breath or something, but no, just normal.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I thought she was blushing at first or something, but she's just really pink

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

All the flashback panels have a pink/purple tint over them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kat's expression in that second panel is gold.

:mad: : "Annie's dad is such a jerk!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mercury Hat posted:

All the flashback panels have a pink/purple tint over them.

Its downright rose-colored.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

First the useless break-in, now this... is there no limit to Kat's incompetence?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

katie posted:

Okay, now it's REALLY starting to look like nobody remembers how William and Janet said they were a couple during "Faraway Morning". I mean, I know Annie was off with Jack when that came out, but I would think the rest of the group would remember that! Unless something happened since then..?

I don't have an emoticon for how I feel about this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Your avatar works just fine.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Pistol_Pete posted:

Sonny teaches Annie how to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Y'all know Annie caught on to Parley and Smitface, right? It's not like she's blind.