Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ore-biker-awarded-180g-excessive-force-claim-article-1.2508227

quote:

In addition to the excessive force claim, the jury found Edwards acted with negligence when he rear-ended Wilkens' motorcycle, but ruled the state trooper did not violate Wilkens' rights.

quote:

Jurors determined that Edwards violated Wilkens' rights by kicking him and was negligent in rear-ending the motorcycle.

Is the NYDN really this bad, or am I confused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Luigi Thirty posted:

NBC News did a new poll: Clinton 51, Trump 38. But among all white male voters, it's Trump 53, Clinton 35.

incredible :allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Deified Data posted:

Could a kind goon post a brief summary of who vile rat is and how s/he relates to Clinton/Benghazi? I've only been a member for a couple months.

Vilerat

He's also as far as I know the only dead goon to not have his account perma-banned.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

computer parts posted:

Vile Rat was/is a mod in D&D. He also worked for the State Department as an IT guy. He was in Benghazi when the attack happened, and died. :rip:

He went to the great skeleton frat party in the sky. :smith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Vilerat was one of ours, and a lot of goons who'd been merely cool towards Mitt Romney in 2012 became violent anti-Romney partisans when he started using Benghazi as a cynical election ploy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

computer parts posted:

Vile Rat was/is a mod in D&D. He also worked for the State Department as an IT guy. He was in Benghazi when the attack happened, and died. :rip:

That's what they wanted us to think. Some say he actually was Ben Ghazi.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Deified Data posted:

Could a kind goon post a brief summary of who vile rat is and how s/he relates to Clinton/Benghazi? I've only been a member for a couple months.

http://www.wired.com/2012/09/vilerat/

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

Arabs aren't Muslims. I'm unable to find specific demographic information for Dearborn, but I do know that a lot of the historic population were Lebanese Christians.

if that were true than they wouldn't be enforcing sharia law

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slate Action posted:

If trump got 53% of white guys in the general he would lose in a landslide. He needs something like 70%.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/donald-trump-needs-7-of-10-white-guys-213699

It's a long read, but a good one. He would need 70% of the white male vote, ie the largest landslide percentage in history. That's not going to happen, and since he's been doing so well with minority outreach, it's not much of a stretch to predict that the Democratic nominee, whoever it is, has a very easy path to the White House.

One thing that article didn't go into IIRC, is the fact that obviously less than 100% of every group votes. I wonder how the demographics will pan out.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

computer parts posted:

VileRat became eternal mod of D&D when he was killed at the Benghazi consulate while working for the State Department as an IT guy.

Fixed that for you

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
West Virginia recently legalized raw milk. Let's check in and see how that's going.

quote:

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- In the weeks after passing a bill, allowing West Virginians to drink raw milk, one delegate brought the drink in to celebrate and, eventually, several lawmakers have gotten sick.

Some lawmakers say it's just a coincidence and a stomach bug is going around.

But, now, health officials are planning on looking in to how this all started.

An anonymous complaint is in at the state Department of Health and Human Resources.

And now, state health officials have to investigate why at least one person is saying the raw milk was given illegally and got these lawmakers sick.

However, other delegates, like Pat McGeehan (R - Hancock, 01), who is quite sick himself, say that recent stomach bug has been making the rounds for weeks.

"There's definitely...some other colleagues that have similar symptoms that I've been experiencing," McGeehan said.

Nothing to see here except the FREEDOM these lawmakers have from the oppression of Big Pasteurization.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

He was also a pretty prominent member in the Goonfleet, the SA EVE Online organization. If I remember right I think he served as the head of the diplomatic corp.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What powers will I aquire drinking raw milk?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nonsense posted:

The combined powers of being a vegan while doing crossfit.

you'll never shut the gently caress up about it while having the worst smelling farts/shits

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

You gain the power of FREEDOM but you lose decision making ability, which is now handled by ~*~the market~*~.

Also, you might suffer gastrointestinal discomfort.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Listeria

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Greatbacon posted:

He was also a pretty prominent member in the Goonfleet, the SA EVE Online organization. If I remember right I think he served as the head of the diplomatic corp.

There was a great flowchart demonstrating what it was like to be a Goonfleet Diplomat.

Assholes ->
If Not Allies -> Shoot
If Allies -> Shoot -> Tell Vilerat

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hell you'll do anything you can to keep a toddler in the backseat quiet.

Well, she sure has an issue with kids going loud.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Riosan posted:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/donald-trump-needs-7-of-10-white-guys-213699

It's a long read, but a good one. He would need 70% of the white male vote, ie the largest landslide percentage in history. That's not going to happen, and since he's been doing so well with minority outreach, it's not much of a stretch to predict that the Democratic nominee, whoever it is, has a very easy path to the White House.

One thing that article didn't go into IIRC, is the fact that obviously less than 100% of every group votes. I wonder how the demographics will pan out.

FiveThirtyEight has a fun interactive thing that lets you see how the results of the election might play out depending on the turnout of different demographic groups: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

I don't know how valid it is or it's been discussed already, however.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

What I got out of the article are two rulings for two events. First, the cop drove his car into the guy's motorcycle, which was found to be negligent but not a rights violation. After the collision, he exits the car and kicks the guy. The kick was found to be a rights violation.

You may be confused but that doesn't mean the Daily News isn't really bad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

computer parts posted:

Arabs aren't Muslims. I'm unable to find specific demographic information for Dearborn, but I do know that a lot of the historic population were Lebanese Christians.

As someone who went to school in Dearborn I can confirm. They are called Chaldeans (although there is some confusion and debate on that name and how its religious vs ethnic see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean_Catholic_Church )

Although there are Muslims in Dearborn too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The GOP has decided to cancel the summer plans of all Senate staffers in order to maintain their SCOTUS block.

quote:

The White House has already ruled out a recess appointment to replace Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, but Senate Republicans aren’t taking any chances.

“I and many of my Republican colleagues have already agreed to be in Washington every three days for the rest of this year to gavel in this body in pro forma session so that this president cannot put in a recess appointment judge,” Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., made clear in a floor speech Wednesday morning.

That means that senators will be haunting the empty chamber through the Easter holiday later this month, during the seven-week break in July and the August, and in election-season hiatus in October.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

I know that kid, his dad is one of the pilots that died in this plane crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFIB1L3BPU

The kid basically just rode that sympathy vote all the way to the house of delegates, he's unfortunately dumb as a sack of poo poo.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

computer parts posted:

He was a poo poo mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slate Action posted:

If trump got 53% of white guys in the general he would lose in a landslide. He needs something like 70%.

Yeah I think an earlier post ran the numbers and said he needed 65% assuming all other groups went 95/5 against him. That may have been gender-inspecific though. I mean he probably won't do THAT poorly among non-whites but I imagine he needs at LEAST 60% to compete.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

How is the FDA unable to ban raw milk at the federal level and make all these state-level moronic laws moot?

Slate Action posted:

51 to 38 is a pretty big landslide, so yes.

I think they mean the trooper didn't violate his rights by rear-ending him? It's poorly written either way.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

West Virginia recently legalized raw milk. Let's check in and see how that's going.

Nothing to see here except the FREEDOM these lawmakers have from the oppression of Big Pasteurization.

Kind of reminds me of the politician in the 1950s who drank something containing lead on the Senate floor to prove that a company's products were totally safe.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 9, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

How is the FDA unable to ban raw milk at the federal level and make all these state-level moronic laws moot?

I personally don't mind it much - people will figure out raw milk is a terrible medieval way to gently caress up your insides, I just wish my home state would do anything to actually address the fact that it is a jobless hellhole with skyrocketing obesity rates instead of loving around with ~~~****babby's first libertarian wishlist****~~~ . I'm never moving back there, but those people really do deserve better.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zero One posted:

As someone who went to school in Dearborn I can confirm. They are called Chaldeans (although there is some confusion and debate on that name and how its religious vs ethnic see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean_Catholic_Church )

I had a Lebanese friend in high school who was Marronite Christian, but that was Ohio, not Michigan.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Is that dude seriously reading Locke?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think by "jacked up" they meant "excited", not "high on drugs/drunk" before going to shoot.

No loving poo poo. Another brilliant contribution to the thread by Your Dunkle Sans

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh gently caress off you bunch of rednecks, there's nothing wrong with raw milk and raw milk products from clean producers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It never ceases to amaze me that when your state is facing economic instability, losing jobs, and people are barely able to make ends meet and the elected officials have all the time in the world to fight for these dumbshit identity politics issues like making raw milk legal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Kind of reminds of the politician in the 1950s who drank something containing lead on the Senate floor to prove that a company's products were totally safe.

Or the colloidal silver guy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zero One posted:

I mean from what reports I'm able to find a large part of the community are Muslims, and there's been extensive immigration there since the Gulf War (either of them), but they aren't necessarily the voters.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

McAlister posted:

Yes and no. There is a fair amount of low hanging fruit that anyone with a red pen could fix. But there are also some really thorny problems in there too that are systemic in our medical system and expand beyond insurance.

Basically he's promising to get the results of a full on national health care system where docs are trained free by the state and hospitals are publicly owned through just nationalizing insurance and that simply isn't possible. It's not a matter of political will or who controls congress, it just doesn't work.

Note: I really want a full nationalization of our entire medical system because it would be awesome.

Thanks! I wonder how long it would take us to achieve full nationalization realistically. I'd imagine that it could take decades at the least just trying to get all the pieces and players where they belong.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

I personally don't mind it much - people will figure out raw milk is a terrible medieval way to gently caress up your insides, I just wish my home state would do anything to actually address the fact that it is a jobless hellhole with skyrocketing obesity rates instead of loving around with ~~~****babby's first libertarian wishlist****~~~ . I'm never moving back there, but those people really do deserve better.

Yeah this state is awful and I can't wait to move back out of it the moment I'm done with grad school.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Kind of reminds of the politician in the 1950s who drank something containing lead on the Senate floor to prove that a company's products were totally safe.

Thomas Midgley Jr., who invented tetraethyl lead (what's in leaded gasoline) and freon (refrigerant, ozone-eroder).

quote:

On October 30, 1924, Midgley participated in a press conference to demonstrate the apparent safety of TEL. In this demonstration, he poured TEL over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever. Midgley would later have to take leave of absence from work after being diagnosed with lead poisoning.

One of his inventions finally killed him, but disappointingly it wasn't either of those two:

quote:

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted poliomyelitis, which left him severely disabled. This led him to devise an elaborate system of strings and pulleys to help others lift him from bed. This system was the eventual cause of his own death when he was entangled in the ropes of this device and died of strangulation at the age of 55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Or the colloidal silver guy.

The funny thing about colloidal silver is that last I heard a medical consensus, it was more-or-less safe-ish.

It'll turn you blue and it might have some prescription medication interactions, but I seem to recall that other complications are/were quite rare.

Now, given that it doesn't seem to have any positive health effects, getting turned blue and having a probably-nonzero increased risk of other complications aren't great, but there are worse goofy-rear end treatments out there.

Edit: Oh man, Thomas Midgley. :allears: Poster child for unintended consequences. I actually am somewhat amused that it was a third clever invention that killed him, because it makes him even more unlucky or at least shortsighted.

If it weren't for those various little side effects, he'd be remembered as a Pretty Great Inventor.

• Locked thread