Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, it's the Democrats who are pushing this weakass "no platform" platform. The Whigs are going with a platform of both abolitionism and pro-slavery (abolitionism first, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey, it's the Democrats who are pushing this weakass "no platform" platform. The Whigs are going with a platform of both abolitionism and pro-slavery (abolitionism first, of course).

Well the Whigs did it first last election with Taylor and tried to do the same thing with Scott, Old Fuss and Feathers however cannot keep his mouth shut.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Edit: Also considering that Andrew Jackson, Calhoun and Clay are all dead by this point any other worthwhile quotes or phrases for the title?

Lincoln's mocking of the Know Nothing platform, adapted to the gooniverse:

SA Decides, 1788-2000: "All men are created equal, except Free Masons, Mole Men and Catholics"

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SpRahl posted:

Edit: Also considering that Andrew Jackson, Calhoun and Clay are all dead by this point any other worthwhile quotes or phrases for the title?

We just missed the chance to really stand up for 54-40 or fight. One day, we'll fight. One day...

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Thread subtitles you say,
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "'Well, We Already Bought the Tickets' - Abraham Lincoln."
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "Free soil, Free labor, Free speech, Free men, Frémont"
edit: SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "The Birth of the Grand Old Party"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Voting for the dead guy, op.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Thread subtitles you say,
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "'Well, We Already Bought the Tickets' - Abraham Lincoln."
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "Free soil, Free labor, Free speech, Free men, Frémont"
edit: SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "The Birth of the Grand Old Party"

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the show?

Jump King has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Mar 8, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

:eyepop:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Casting my vote for this in addition to the other dead guy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
SA Decides, 1788-2000: We're Gonna Elect Eugene Debs To Seven Consecutive Terms

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Alter Ego posted:

It's actually going to be 4+1 more, but yeah. Although SA Decides, 1788-2000: While There is a Soul in Prison, I Am Not Free has a nice ring to it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Debs love gets to wait in line behind "We Shall Not Crucify Mankind Upon A Cross of Gold," which needs to happen when we start up the William Jennings Bryan hype.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

And before that, they'll both have to see President James B. Weaver.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If we're getting ahead a bit, who's the goon favorite: internet icon, noted liberal reformer and two-fisted man Theodore Roosevelt or comedy legend William Howard Taft?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

karmicknight posted:

Debs love gets to wait in line behind "We Shall Not Crucify Mankind Upon A Cross of Gold," which needs to happen when we start up the William Jennings Bryan hype.

Bi-metalism was a terrible policy and would've been a disaster causing all kinds of negative impacts.

Why yes I am anti-Populist how could you tell?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Harry Truman posted:

If it wasn’t for old Bill Bryan, there wouldn’t be any liberalism at all in the country now. Bryan kept liberalism alive, he kept it going.

If you don't vote Bryan in 1896 I don't know what to say.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Personally I think that Webster best represents all demographics in this election, considering that all the people involved are also dead.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

MCKINLEY!

*gunshots*

edit: Yeah yeah, that was after his reelection, whatevs, it's the only reason I know who McKinley was.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/september-7-1901-10573

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

I won't be.

:getin:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Quorum posted:

Personally I think that Webster best represents all demographics in this election, considering that all the people involved are also dead.

We also must remember to support our nation's largest demographic, Dead Americans.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Nebakenezzer posted:

If we're getting ahead a bit, who's the goon favorite: internet icon, noted liberal reformer and two-fisted man Theodore Roosevelt or comedy legend William Howard Taft?

TR is a top-5 President.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

TR is a top-5 President.

We'll be too busy electing Eugene Debs.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The sad thing is the Full Communism Now! block is going to result in one of our legit good presidents not being elected.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

TR is a top-5 President.

Well, I know that and you know that...

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I know that and you know that...

I think the important question for this universes electorate is, is he a free mason and what is his opinion of the pope?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SpRahl posted:

I think the important question for this universes electorate is, is he a free mason and what is his opinion of the pope?

1. Free-Masonry is something for men too effeminate and boring to go hunting, the only manly way to spend time and bond
2. If the Pope thinks his nice hat lets him tell me what to do, I have a Stetson that tells him he's wrong
3. We will invade the hollow earth and turn it into a national park

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

national parks haven't been invented yet! also the early conservationists will use national parks as a massive mechanism for the purification of municipal water supplies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy so the idea of, like, preserving nature untouched for essentially 'it feels good' reasons is a long way away in the future

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

national parks haven't been invented yet! also the early conservationists will use national parks as a massive mechanism for the purification of municipal water supplies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy so the idea of, like, preserving nature untouched for essentially 'it feels good' reasons is a long way away in the future

We're pre-emptively talking about Teddy Roosevelt, though, who is well-documented as not only personally establishing five national parks but also signing the legislation that permits future Presidents to use President-magic to create national monuments. Granted, in our darkest Goon timeline national parks may never be invented, because we spent too much time fighting the fifteen civil wars over the abolition of slavery and mandatory hard cider.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

fair enough. if we wanna save hetch hetchy tho we better make sure someone kills gifford pinchot's great-grandfather in one of the civil wars

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

we spent too much time fighting the fifteen civil wars over the abolition of slavery and mandatory hard cider.

We really have to stop reinstating slavery after each abolition

Or do you think it's just the south winning each time?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

We really have to stop reinstating slavery after each abolition

Or do you think it's just the south winning each time?

Honestly, DC is probably just a city-state at this point.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The only state that hasn't seceded is Massachusetts.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb political question(s): the national bank. It seems like Jackson's opposition to it is one of his major policy victories, because people are still wittering on about it decades later. Was it a giveaway for the 18th century .01%? Because it sounded sorta like a very sensible infrastructure improvement project and a bunch of people flipped out because "STATES RIGHTS" or some such. Also, did the bank's closure cause all sorts of economic fuckery, or was this America being all bubblicious without any external regulation?

The National Bank did exactly what you might expect it to do. It handled accounts and transactions, helped finance all expenses made by the United States federal government, and regulated the proliferation of federal money. What Jackson objected to was the Bank's seemingly selective use of its powers and money. Projects financed by the Bank seemed to disproportionately benefit the wealthiest Americans. Though it was intended to "democratize American credit," farmers and poor entrepreneurs didn't seem to get as many bank loans as the wealthy established industrialists who owned the Bank's stock. Add into this mix the negative short-term consequences of regulating paper money, which meant that poor rural communities could no longer exploit the uninhibited distribution of currencies, and Andrew Jackson started to have issues. For him, the Bank seemed to represent everything Jackson had come to despise about American democracy. It was an institution that claimed to share the interests of all Americans, but when it came to business it shoveled money into the hands of a few hundred individuals.

That's not to say the Bank didn't do any good. While the projects did benefit wealthy individuals in the short-run, the Second Bank helped improve roads and canals, easing commerce and making travel faster. This accelerated American economic growth and benefited virtually everyone. In 1800, it would take you almost three weeks to travel from New York City to Frankfort, Kentucky. By 1830, you could travel the same distance in about a week.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to post one of my favourite map series.

As for your last question, the answer is: It's complicated. Democrats at the time blamed the bank for supporting rampant speculation that led to the Panic of 1837 while Whigs blamed the sudden loss of the Bank's regulations for allowing the same speculation. I'm not an economist (or really a historian), but I've always seen the Panic blamed on a series of factors, with the closure of the Bank exacerbating but not causing the calamity.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Mar 9, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pakled posted:

The only state that hasn't seceded is Massachusetts.

Thus far, five Presidents have been from New York and three have been elected from Massachusetts. The last time a President we had a President from the South was in 1809, under Charles Cotesworth Pinckney of Virginia.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Those are some extremely cool maps Quid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm glad we won't be voting for pierce because, even if it wouldn't save his son's life, at least he and his wife won't convince themselves that god killed him so pierce wouldn't have any distractions as president

19th century coping was some crazy poo poo

Holy poo poo. This guy seems to win for the most miserable presidency ever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The election where we elected Pinckney must've been terrible.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GlyphGryph posted:

Except for the slight expansion of the border down to the Rio Grande with Mexico, he was a King Midas in reverse: everything he touched turned worthless

Not entirely his fault (people were beating each other half to death on the senate floor) but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

GlyphGryph posted:

Visitors described Jane Pierce wandering around the White House like a ghost. Pierce was prone to sudden weeping fits and unable to complete his duties. One of his officials described the White House by saying, "everything in that mansion seems cold and cheerless."

Pierce is usually considered one of the most tragic presidents in American history, and his life will only get worse from here.

FUN FACT: Had Pierce died instead of his son, it would have flung the United States into a constitutional crisis that would have likely ended with the organizer of Bleeding Kansas, David "kill every God-damned abolitionist in the district" Atchison as President.

• Locked thread