Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maybe even one where your posts aren't poo poo!

multiverses diverge on possible outcomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Enourmo posted:

:drat:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maybe even one where your posts aren't poo poo!

That may not be mathematically possible

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kinetica posted:

With your posting we certainly aren't in heaven

tbf we're all going to hell

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Enourmo posted:

I'm your Pippen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm your Pippen.

:respek:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm your Pippen.

The actual apple, or the Apple product?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Patrick Spens posted:

So I was browsing wikipedia, and came across this story about the origins of guncotton.

Chemists

Quite a few explosives/useful chemicals have similar accidental origins. IIRC one form of radiation was discovered when a photographer left an interesting rock on top of his film box and it ruined the film. See also Silly Putty (a failure at making synthetic rubber) and the Slinky (the latter isn't so much chemistry, but still a professional engineer hosed up and made a toy out of it.)

Also, weren't vulcanized rubber and cornflakes both the result of the inventors spilling some on the stove burner while trying to make something else?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Delivery McGee posted:

Quite a few explosives/useful chemicals have similar accidental origins. IIRC one form of radiation was discovered when a photographer left an interesting rock on top of his film box and it ruined the film.

Both x-rays (from Crookes tubes that fogged nearby film) and radioactive decay (from uranium) were discovered this way. Becquerel actually discovered the latter because he was investigating the former- he at first thought it had something to do with phosphorescent minerals. Uranium was the only one that fogged the photographic plate, and more interestingly it did it even with non-phosphorescent uranium compounds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Luneshot posted:

Both x-rays (from Crookes tubes that fogged nearby film) and radioactive decay (from uranium) were discovered this way. Becquerel actually discovered the latter because he was investigating the former- he at first thought it had something to do with phosphorescent minerals. Uranium was the only one that fogged the photographic plate, and more interestingly it did it even with non-phosphorescent uranium compounds.

Yeah, the story I read on Becquerel is that he was actually studying fluorescence and phosphorescence generally. Uranium minerals were known to be very fluorescent, and in studying them he would put uranium minerals on top a a sealed photographic plate on the window sill and let the sunlight generate the fluorescence/phosphorescence.

The plates got darkened, so whatever was being produced by the fluorescence could penetrate the shielding of the plate, which he thought was remarkable all by itself. Then there were a few cloudy days so he left the plates and minerals together in a desk drawer for a couple days. On a hunch he developed one of the photographic plates anyway, and was shocked to see that it was exposed just like the ones that had been sitting in the sun.

What he was observing wasn't fluorescence at all and had nothing whatever to do with sunlight, but radioactivity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Also, I don't know how much atropine your medics carried, but can you even have enough on-hand to actually deal with a large organophosphate spill even if you could somehow get to them with appropriate PPE and the decon shower? Last I checked, you needed some pretty drat high doses compared to its use in bradycardia.

Not on the ambulance, no, but we could at the very least take all that we had out of the stock cabinet, and get on the radio and tell the other agencies that were coming to do the same.

Some places bought the Mark I kits with homeland security grants after 9/11, but given the short shelf life on those I doubt anyone has any these days.

E:If you want to imagine what a major spill of a lot of these chemicals would be like, imagine someone sitting in a dispatch chair screaming for "EVERYONE" like Gary Oldman in The Professional. Especially if it was a train car spill, that would probably tap out nearly every ambulance in the county.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Mar 8, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hremsfeld posted:

Cross-quoting a Cold War chem grunt: Let's Talk About Idiots!

So there's some nice background; yes there were people in the thread saying he was making poo poo up, which in that post he says his various chains of command also did when he finally got sent out of the unit,

Nostalgia4ColdWar is 50 Foot Ant

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

MisterOblivious posted:

Yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Delivery McGee posted:

Quite a few explosives/useful chemicals have similar accidental origins. IIRC one form of radiation was discovered when a photographer left an interesting rock on top of his film box and it ruined the film. See also Silly Putty (a failure at making synthetic rubber) and the Slinky (the latter isn't so much chemistry, but still a professional engineer hosed up and made a toy out of it.)

Also, weren't vulcanized rubber and cornflakes both the result of the inventors spilling some on the stove burner while trying to make something else?

Sticky notes, too. The dude was trying to make a super-strong glue.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

MisterOblivious posted:

This more than anything else convinced me to read all that. He is a surprisingly compelling writer of bullshit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EdibleBodyParts posted:

This more than anything else convinced me to read all that. He is a surprisingly compelling writer of bullshit.

Yeah, I know its all bullshit, but its really readable and fun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

All soldier stories are bullshit from a long tradition of bullshitting.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Tunicate posted:

All soldier stories are bullshit from a long tradition of bullshitting.

Counterpoint: stories from basic training are probably true.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Someone mentioned a toluene compound a few pages back and it peaked my interest. While reading the wiki page on it, I checked out regular toulene since the brake parts cleaner in my garage has it in decent quantities. Apparently rocket scientists aren't the only ones the do the explodey rule 34 thing, race car engineers do it too.

quote:

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula One teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula One fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 °C (158 °F) (Honda accomplished this in their Formula One cars by routing the fuel lines through the exhaust system to heat the fuel).

I wonder what safety precautions (if any) they had to use while handling it. Honestly, the msds sheet for crc non-chlorinated brakleen is worth a look. It also contains methylcyclohexane which I think I've seen in this thread in relation to fueling rockets. :toot:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well, the turbo era in F1 was known for exploding engines...

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Someone mentioned a toluene compound a few pages back and it peaked my interest. While reading the wiki page on it, I checked out regular toulene since the brake parts cleaner in my garage has it in decent quantities. Apparently rocket scientists aren't the only ones the do the explodey rule 34 thing, race car engineers do it too.

I wonder what safety precautions (if any) they had to use while handling it. Honestly, the msds sheet for crc non-chlorinated brakleen is worth a look. It also contains methylcyclohexane which I think I've seen in this thread in relation to fueling rockets. :toot:

It shouldn't be too surprising that race car engineers and rocket engineers have some overlap: one's trying to use a long, controlled explosion to make something move, and another is using a lot of small but extremely fast, controlled explosions to make something move. And then there's drag racing, when you get into the top-fuel dragsters/jet engine/rocket engine cars. Those are all terrifying for their own reasons. I mean, have you seen how much fuel a top-fuel dragster uses? poo poo's insane.

Edit: here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

Apparently that's the fuel usage for one cylinder, and they use V8's themselves. I've got a V8 in my van, and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't use the idle fuel in that demo when I'm going full throttle.

Rorac has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Mar 9, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Toluene itself isn't too bad. It's got that methyl group the liver can get a hold of and oxidize to benzoic acid, which then can get excreted by the kidneys. It's still recommended to ingest and inhale as little as possible, but there's a lot worse out there.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Toluene itself isn't too bad. It's got that methyl group the liver can get a hold of and oxidize to benzoic acid, which then can get excreted by the kidneys. It's still recommended to ingest and inhale as little as possible, but there's a lot worse out there.

Since most of the chemicals that get used in industry are fairly nasty and don't even make the thread, a bath in toluene isn't that bad all things considered.

Kinetica has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Mar 9, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Back in the day chemists would wash their hands in benzene. Delicious delicious benzene.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

True enough. I mostly just wanted to post the bit about the F1 motors being fueled by it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rorac posted:

It shouldn't be too surprising that race car engineers and rocket engineers have some overlap: one's trying to use a long, controlled explosion to make something move, and another is using a lot of small but extremely fast, controlled explosions to make something move. And then there's drag racing, when you get into the top-fuel dragsters/jet engine/rocket engine cars. Those are all terrifying for their own reasons. I mean, have you seen how much fuel a top-fuel dragster uses? poo poo's insane.

Edit: here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTbQuhhluY

Apparently that's the fuel usage for one cylinder, and they use V8's themselves. I've got a V8 in my van, and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't use the idle fuel in that demo when I'm going full throttle.

Top fuel dragsters are just insane in every way. The drivers and crewmen filling the tank wear gas masks. The flames coming out the exhaust? That's leftover nitromethane still burning on the way out, and produces a significant amount of downforce (like, 800 pounds IIRC, which is nothing compared to the aero devices, but is welcome in the half-second it takes to get up to speed for the wings to start pushing). The bigger flames at night is because the nitro-rich exhaust is so hot it's dissociating and re-burning the water vapor in the air, like a magnesium fire. There's no cooling system because they're evaporatively cooled by the fuel. The mix is so rich and so compressed by the supercharger that it'll hydrolock and blow the head off if a cylinder's two spark plugs fail for one cycle.

And that's how you make over a thousand horsepower per liter of engine displacement. The downside is that it's burnt to a crisp and needs a complete overhaul every quarter-mile (assuming it doesn't just explode)/4 seconds at full throttle.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Along with everything else nitromethane also works as a high explosive, more energy than TNT but lower velocity of detonation. This was discovered by accident in 1958.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane#Explosive_properties

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When a chemist puts a nitro group and a hydrocarbon group in the same room you shouldn't really be surprised about things going bang.

Speaking of fuel flow, the Bloodhound SSC has three engines. A supercharged Jaguar V8 rated at 800+ bhp , a Eurojet EJ200 jet engine and a hybrid rocket engine (solid fuel, liquid oxidizer). The jet engine is supposed to provide the initial thrust up to about 500kph, after which the rocket ignites and takes it to 1600+kph.

What's the V8 for then you ask? That's the oxidizer pump for the rocket.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kinetica posted:

Since most of the chemicals that get used in industry are fairly nasty and don't even make the thread, a bath in toluene isn't that bad all things considered.
86/14 toluene/n-heptane is down right pleasant compared to consumer gasoline. Every molecule of garbage aromatics and olefins they can get in tend to be huge bonuses in cost vs energy content and octane rating. Regulations have been happy to look away from it being slightly cancer causing, now with no lead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

By my deeds I honor him :black101:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Back in the day chemists would wash their hands in benzene. Delicious delicious benzene.

Heck, back in the days when they were still figuring out that "hygiene" needed to be a thing in hospitals, they'd spray everything down with phenol to kill germs. I'm sure it was more than up to the task, given its propensity for gleefully ripping apart any proteins it encounters, but I pity the surgeon that accidentally gets some on his hands, or breathes in the fumes...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Heck, back in the days when they were still figuring out that "hygiene" needed to be a thing in hospitals, they'd spray everything down with phenol to kill germs. I'm sure it was more than up to the task, given its propensity for gleefully ripping apart any proteins it encounters, but I pity the surgeon that accidentally gets some on his hands, or breathes in the fumes...
Accidentally? The way I heard it Lister pioneered clean surgery by, as you say, spraying everything down in the theater. Also, his hands. Also, open wounds.

For a while, the sign of a really dedicated and successful surgeon was absolutely wrecked hand skin.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

WITNESS ME! :black101:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:getin:

Turbopumps are crazy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

zedprime posted:

Accidentally? The way I heard it Lister pioneered clean surgery by, as you say, spraying everything down in the theater. Also, his hands. Also, open wounds.

For a while, the sign of a really dedicated and successful surgeon was absolutely wrecked hand skin.

Halstead, inventor of the radical mastectomy (which saved lives, prechemotherapy), invented rubber gloves because his nurse, later wife, got severe skin problems from the disinfectants.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

You can still buy dilute (~1% or so) phenol solutions in drug stores in America for treating sore throats. What you do is spray it in your mouth, let it sit in your throat, then spit it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gobbeldygook posted:

then spit it out.

poo poo. I have never done this. :ohdear:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqOVRMHI2vo

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/bloodhound-ssc/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hey, I wrote that! :rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Crossposting, kind of, from a thread in D&D where the conversation a little while ago was on some raw milk law that I didn't give much of a gently caress about. Somebody mentioned HF and a link about what some incredibly stupid person did with it and uh :stare:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8420252

You ever read a sentence, and all the words individually make sense, but you have to go back and reread it because your brain violently rejects that exact arrangement of words? That happened when I read the title of that report.

At least if anything good came out of it, "hydrofluoric acid enema" sounds like a loving amazing name for a grindcore metal band.