Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the first Doom game I ever owned was the SNES version. That port was better than it had any right to be. Also, since the game took out the little story pieces at the end of the episodes, I was very confused when I reached the end of Episode 1.

Also, the cartridge was red, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The gba port of Doom 2 was legit as gently caress.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think they've come out and said that they would not have a problem releasing an SDK, but given the way Id's engines work you would need a 5 figure supercomputer to even run it. Snap Map is an alternative that allows people that don't work at a company with a render farm to create content.

Ah understood. Well hoping that if the game is successful enough, they release more and more content to SNAPMAP on a regular basis (or at least some big additions) to allow for even more variety of potential.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Bethesda. You own the Quake Announcer audio files. Just use that. Everyone likes that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think they've come out and said that they would not have a problem releasing an SDK, but given the way Id's engines work you would need a 5 figure supercomputer to even run it. Snap Map is an alternative that allows people that don't work at a company with a render farm to create content.

Yeah, Id Tech 5/6 that's used in Doom is really cool, it allows map editing to be hosted like a multiplayer map and multiple artists can modify the map in real-time with each other, which is amazingly great for professional production teams.

Buuuuut it just doesn't really work for joe blow trying to make a WAD on his computer from 2010.

SnapMap looks really loving good so I don't really mind the lack of full mod support. Mods have had a really hard time keeping up with the AAA game industry. If anything that's a big part of why Doom custom WADs are still so popular, its so easy and quick to make them compared to modern game content.

blackguy32 posted:

I think the first Doom game I ever owned was the SNES version. That port was better than it had any right to be. Also, since the game took out the little story pieces at the end of the episodes, I was very confused when I reached the end of Episode 1.

Also, the cartridge was red, I remember thinking that was the coolest thing.

I still have an angry red cartridge copy of Doom on SNES.

It really runs like rear end, but hey its doom on snes!

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Bethesda. You own the Quake Announcer audio files. Just use that. Everyone likes that

On an unrelated note, one of the things i keep hoping for this year for Bethesda's e3 is a 20th anniversary version (was released in 1996) of QUAKE 1 with 4 player split screen, steam workshop, runs in windows (obviously), and both expansions. Of course, we didnt really get a doom anniversary edition, so im not counting on it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Leyburn posted:

The gba port of Doom 2 was legit as gently caress.

Definitely a huge improvement over the Doom 1 port. For some reason the developers based that one off the Jaguar port? :psyduck: The levels look like poo poo, but the general map design remains largely intact in Doom 2 and the right songs are used on the right levels, versus the original which changed a bunch of them around.

I thought it was interesting too that Industrial Zone and The Chasm were both split into two levels (A and B I think) rather than being cut from the game entirely. The group that did the Doom 2 port deserves a lot more credit IMO.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, Id Tech 5/6 that's used in Doom is really cool, it allows map editing to be hosted like a multiplayer map and multiple artists can modify the map in real-time with each other, which is amazingly great for professional production teams.

I remember tribes 1 having editor mode work on listen servers and it meant you could throw players around to their deaths by clicking and dragging.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The irony being that you're the retard

He's smart enough to know that instead of playing a UT clone, he can just play the new UT.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably have more copies of Doom than any other game, due in no small part to it being ported to every platform under the sun. poo poo I've got it on my iPhone, so I can blast demons with a shotgun at a moment's notice.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was really hoping we could turn into hell knights, and sure enough that video shows somebody turning into a hell knight.

Baron of Hell. It's the wrong color to be a Hell Knight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

Baron of Hell. It's the wrong color to be a Hell Knight.

Yeah I always mix em up, especially with the new graphics I just kinda guessed. But yeah red skin = baron.

I mean they sure beefed him up, if the even is a baron. Its big enough to be a Cyberdemon! The red skin and the overall look is closer to a baron though than a cyberdemon (no cyber poo poo) so its probably just a big baron to be more intimidating, which I'm fine with.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Black Ops 3 is a way better shooter

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Awesome Welles posted:

Definitely a huge improvement over the Doom 1 port. For some reason the developers based that one off the Jaguar port? :psyduck: The levels look like poo poo, but the general map design remains largely intact in Doom 2 and the right songs are used on the right levels, versus the original which changed a bunch of them around.

I thought it was interesting too that Industrial Zone and The Chasm were both split into two levels (A and B I think) rather than being cut from the game entirely. The group that did the Doom 2 port deserves a lot more credit IMO.

yeah, I remember id and Activision highlighting the port as having had special care/attention at whatever QuakeCon the DOOM 2 port was closest to release to - I picked up a GBA because of it honestly.

Xenomrph posted:

I probably have more copies of Doom than any other game, due in no small part to it being ported to every platform under the sun. poo poo I've got it on my iPhone, so I can blast demons with a shotgun at a moment's notice.

you know what is best in life

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

cool new unreal tournament game

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zigmidge posted:

This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.
Doom has you shotgunning demons from hell, the other two don't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

UT is a TV show, has Skaarjs and gangs loving each other. Doom is a failed experiment in mars with a demonic invasion and that stuff and...

Quake is a failed experiment with Lovecraftian creatures and worlds,
Quake is a war against the Stroggs in one of their planets,
Quake is a tournament between different creatures and characters created by ID Software with no other explanation,
Quake is more of the previous war against the Stroggs where some dude becomes one of them,
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is a Strogg invasion in the earth, previous to Quake 2, with vehicles, big teams and being a mix of Battlefield and its free to download expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

UT has a translocator and double tapping movement keys to dodge. Doom has running fast and fun. Quake has running and jumping fast plus good grenade launcher sounds.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

SPACE HOMOS posted:

UT has a translocator and double tapping movement keys to dodge. Doom has running fast and fun. Quake has running and jumping fast plus good grenade launcher sounds.

This Doom has a translocator too :ssh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
someone duel me in ut4

note i've barely touched shooters since 2005 and miss point blank flak cannon shots

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Buuuuut it just doesn't really work for joe blow trying to make a WAD on his computer from 2010.

SnapMap looks really loving good so I don't really mind the lack of full mod support. Mods have had a really hard time keeping up with the AAA game industry. If anything that's a big part of why Doom custom WADs are still so popular, its so easy and quick to make them compared to modern game content.

I still have an angry red cartridge copy of Doom on SNES.

It really runs like rear end, but hey its doom on snes!

In a few years people would probably have the tech at home to do it. An x99, 8core, 32gb machine isn't that pricey today.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Unreal - Single payer experience with aliens
Unreal Tournament - An arena shooter that is known for weapons with multiple functions and custom maps and mods.
Quake - A single player game series about the borg and marines who are unfortunate enough to meet them.
Quake 3 - An arena shooter with lots of levels in open space with no explanation.
DOOM - See Unreal but demons from hell.

Daikatana - John Romero's attempt to kill the FPS genre.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Guillermus you blew it

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zigmidge posted:

Unreal Tournament is a multiplayer-focused shooter, to the point its entire single player is botmatches. (In fact, it was originally planned as an expansion for Unreal with better bots, but it grew a bit out of control.)

Doom and Quake are both primarily single player, though Quake less so. Doom is older and on a simpler engine, but has probably aged better than the early true 3D Quake.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Actual Doom deathmatch multiplayer involved sprites zipping around sideways in mere frames each trying to tag each other with a point blank super shotgun blast

this really looks a lot more like Quake 3 Arena with half the speed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Doom came out first, then quake, then UT :cheeky:

Okay okay. Doom has sprites, quake has 3d models, and UT came out after that and has colored lighting. :cheeky:

Okay okay okay. Quake is basically a sequel to Doom that only uses shades of brown... :haw:

Really though if we're ignoring fluff and technical differences, the only real major change between them is the guns.

Doom you move the fastest so slapping people with SSG is cool, and then you've got the rockets which feel so good, and the room-clearing BFG.
Quake I actually don't like the guns as much, although quake 3 has some better ones.
UT I think has the best guns.

Guillermus posted:

UT is a TV show, has Skaarjs and gangs loving each other. Doom is a failed experiment in mars with a demonic invasion and that stuff and...

Quake is a failed experiment with Lovecraftian creatures and worlds,
Quake is a war against the Stroggs in one of their planets,
Quake is a tournament between different creatures and characters created by ID Software with no other explanation,
Quake is more of the previous war against the Stroggs where some dude becomes one of them,
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is a Strogg invasion in the earth, previous to Quake 2, with vehicles, big teams and being a mix of Battlefield and its free to download expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

He said "without fluff" not "only fluff" lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does doom 4 have mod support, because i could probably get behind it as neo quake with just faster movement and custom maps to accommodate it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

"I'm looking for the doom guy."

Also he just looks like a head for a torso.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pomp posted:

does doom 4 have mod support, because i could probably get behind it as neo quake with just faster movement and custom maps to accommodate it

We just covered this, but sadly not really. Id tech 5 just takes so much work.

Instead the game has a very, VERY advanced (possibly the best I've ever seen) in game level editor, which also lets you create custom scripts.

Its not the same as an SDK but it should provide us with toooons of custom doom4 'wads' :)

(And I think they have said that an SDK is something they could maybe do in the future)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how did they not use that original box art homage for the actual box art jfc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

how did they not use that original box art homage for the actual box art jfc

I loving know! What were they thinking?

I seriously tweeted at every ID related account I could find "what are you thinking, this should be the default art".

At this point its probably set in stone; was the decision of the publisher or their marketing team, loving Bethesda, so Id probably can't change it.

Oh well.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Keiya posted:

Doom is older and on a simpler engine, but has probably aged better than the early true 3D Quake.

Quake still owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Black Ops 3 is a way better shooter

Seems likely. I love me some Blops3.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Prav posted:

Quake still owns.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Prav posted:

Quake still owns.

This thread gets weird with the doom love.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zigmidge posted:

UT has nothing to do with the other two, because it is an arena shooter. Quake had true-3D levels, and was one of the few games to use it well in abstract level design, since most games started transitioning to "realistic" levels after it (and particularly after Half-Life). It generally suffers from having monster encounters that rarely get busier than a few major enemies on the screen at the same time, though, while Doom really loves being played with a big horde of monsters versus one player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lcqsfIECxQ

Also, Doom has a far bigger mapping community for whatever reason.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

Seems likely. I love me some Blops3.

Doom is gonna slay Blop3 because it's that drat good, just like Seth Rollins! Doom is the future of this business!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best shooters of all time are Doom, Doom II, Blops2, and Blops3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

The best shooters of all time are Doom, Doom II, Blops2, and Blops3.

I love Doom and Doom 2, I thought Blops2 was average, have not played Blops3. You left out Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Half-Life 2, etc but my guess is level design is not one of your key thingies if you're listing Blops. Or maybe you're talking multiplayer mainly?

For multiplayer my ol' favs are Action Half-Life and Quake 2, for the record.