Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Doesn't TT also reward putting far more weapons than you can reasonably fire with a reduction in BV due to inefficient heat ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Coolwhoami posted:

Doesn't TT also reward putting far more weapons than you can reasonably fire with a reduction in BV due to inefficient heat ratio?

Yes that was one of the weaknesses, people would load down on small lasers to tank their heat efficiency and then put in something like a gauss rifle, or two.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I have the feeling that in the last few weeks the number of goon players in the europe-time decreased somewhat.

I can hardly find any GIRLs on Mumble during weekdays.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I have the feeling that in the last few weeks the number of goon players in the europe-time decreased somewhat.

I can hardly find any GIRLs on Mumble during weekdays.

Well, The Division just launched, so I could see that eating into peoples game time. Same story with XCom 2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, The Division just launched, so I could see that eating into peoples game time. Same story with XCom 2.

I've been playing a lot of Rocket League, which is fun no matter how good or bad you are.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

BDO also launched but I'm probably the only one playing it here

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Yes that was one of the weaknesses, people would load down on small lasers to tank their heat efficiency and then put in something like a gauss rifle, or two.

but that's a problem with people breaking the system to basically cheat their opponent. It's not really an issue that stock or even reasonable optimized custom builds would have.

As for the PPC changes, the most welcome news there is the idea of overhauling the heat scale. Just so long as we don't return to the days of poptart snipers, I welcome an improvement in PPC performance.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

A.o.D. posted:

but that's a problem with people breaking the system to basically cheat their opponent. It's not really an issue that stock or even reasonable optimized custom builds would have.

As for the PPC changes, the most welcome news there is the idea of overhauling the heat scale. Just so long as we don't return to the days of poptart snipers, I welcome an improvement in PPC performance.

Currently the shadowcat is just a fun toy, you can still manage some really high damage rounds with 2 ppc's and poptarting. If they make PPC's actually good then there will be every incentive to start doing it for real...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

The #1 fix they could implement to make PPCs not terrible would be either eliminating or softening minimum range. A variable damage negation rather than a strict zero inside a certain range would work.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

But then it's not true to table top!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drythe posted:

It already isn't. Table top minimum ranges for PPCs just gave you a shittier to-hit, and plenty of other weapons had them as well. AC 2 and AC 5 most notably as far as this game is concerned. It's not like a mech inside 3 hexes away was totally immune to your PPCs.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Look, you cant eliminate the minimum range because

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

Currently the shadowcat is just a fun toy, you can still manage some really high damage rounds with 2 ppc's and poptarting. If they make PPC's actually good then there will be every incentive to start doing it for real...

You can do some opportunistic swarm brawling with it. If you compare the shadowcat to the stormcrow, you can build a stormcrow with 4 SPL+4SRM6A, or you could build a shadow cat with 2 SPL+3SRM6A (less one missile and two SPLs) in exchange for MASC, ECM, and six jump jets in a smaller profile. It's still a 48 damage alpha in a frail package, but between your ECM and your burst speed you can hang around and jump in alongside the larger mechs and do plenty of work.

LPLS/PPCs, in contrast, are a lot worse at actually opening fresh people up and killing them if the two are all you have to work with. Having to shoot an assault five/six times in the CT just to strip armor - versus hitting internal structure on the third alpha with the missile build - is a pretty tremendous difference.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey nerds. I just got back for the night before I go out again for ten more days. Let me know if there was anything that needs to be added/edited to the OP.

Also tell me the juicy stuff because I'm too lazy to read four pages.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Olesh posted:

You can do some opportunistic swarm brawling with it. If you compare the shadowcat to the stormcrow, you can build a stormcrow with 4 SPL+4SRM6A, or you could build a shadow cat with 2 SPL+3SRM6A (less one missile and two SPLs) in exchange for MASC, ECM, and six jump jets in a smaller profile. It's still a 48 damage alpha in a frail package, but between your ECM and your burst speed you can hang around and jump in alongside the larger mechs and do plenty of work.

LPLS/PPCs, in contrast, are a lot worse at actually opening fresh people up and killing them if the two are all you have to work with. Having to shoot an assault five/six times in the CT just to strip armor - versus hitting internal structure on the third alpha with the missile build - is a pretty tremendous difference.

Yeah right now the sniper SCH is more opportunistic than the others

I think the chassis as a whole is a lot better than folks give it credit for, although the massive CT is still an issue

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey nerds. I just got back for the night before I go out again for ten more days. Let me know if there was anything that needs to be added/edited to the OP.

Russ and Paul are still retards.
Pubbies still only know how to lrm and snipe from 800 meters.

There, you're all caught up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost heat 2.0 also

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

Could add Warhammer and Rifleman summaries:

WARHAMMER (70 tons)
Above-average heavy which can dish out serviceable laservomit or dakka. Reasonably tough. Probably not as good as the Black Knight for now

RIFLEMAN (60 tons)
Similar to the Jagermech, but five tons lighter. Somewhat fragile, but high mounts give it good opportunities for laser-heavy builds or some ballistics.

and maybe predictions for unreleased 'mechs:

ARCHER (70 tons)
Missile-focused IS heavy. One variant has nine missile slots and will likely be a high-risk/high-reward SRM brawler. Others will mix missiles and lasers. Will be incredibly quirk-dependent

KODIAK (100 tons)
Clan BattleMech with a 400XL engine that lets it run at almost 70 KPH. Hero variant will be a clan Atlas and can run at 90 KPH for a short period of time with MASC. A lot will depend on where mounts are located, but it has a strong possibility of being better than the Dire Wolf

PHOENIX HAWK (45 tons)
Agile IS medium -- one version with MASC can run at almost 170 KPH. PHX-1K and PHX-2 are likely best variants -- one can do medium-range laservomit, the other can mount 6 MPLs with ECM

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

PPCs do damage in minimum range all the time. All 'minimum range' in Tabletop means is that it's harder to track targets with them, not that they do no damage.

Since pubbies already can't hit things at close range, PPCs would be fine if they did full damage point-blank.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drythe posted:

Look, you cant eliminate the minimum range because

Because the guy who coded it quit and they dont have any documentation on how to remove that feature. :v:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I want to chain fire so many PPC's. Making them have no minimum could be hilarous for an Awesome.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I've been playing a lot of Rocket League, which is fun no matter how good or bad you are.

Is that "Chivers" channel on mumble for Rocket League with goons?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Wanna know the Archer quirks. It's a week away. Those laser/missile variants might end up good brawlers.

All mega-dependent on the quirks.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Russ and Paul are still retards.
Pubbies still only know how to lrm and snipe from 800 meters.

There, you're all caught up.

:cheers:

Pattonesque posted:

KODIAK (100 tons)
Clan BattleMech with a 400XL engine that lets it run at almost 70 KPH. Hero variant will be a clan Atlas and can run at 90 KPH for a short period of time with MASC. A lot will depend on where mounts are located, but it has a strong possibility of being better than the Dire Wolf.

:eyepop: That sounds amazing. IS finally having another medium with ECM seems about right. Thanks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I just had a pretty good round as a gargoyle. It's only T4, but you know. Feels good man.

:getin:

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 9, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Anita Dickinme posted:

:eyepop: That sounds amazing. IS finally having another medium with ECM seems about right. Thanks.

Yeah, even with no quirks it's going to be the best clan assault. The art shows the weapon placement is much the same as the atlas, and being able to break cover and rush a firing line at 90kph will cut down on the ability to get focused down.

The spread out nature of the clan AC's delivery means it'll probably be more difficult to twist with, and it will also likely end up using energy as part of most loadouts, so heat will be an issue, but it should be solid.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah, even with no quirks it's going to be the best clan assault. The art shows the weapon placement is much the same as the atlas, and being able to break cover and rush a firing line at 90kph will cut down on the ability to get focused down.

The spread out nature of the clan AC's delivery means it'll probably be more difficult to twist with, and it will also likely end up using energy as part of most loadouts, so heat will be an issue, but it should be solid.

lbx20. Unless there's a heatsink in the torso also.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

veedubfreak posted:

lbx20. Unless there's a heatsink in the torso also.

It's a clan battlemech, not an omnimech. No locked equipment.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

BDO also launched but I'm probably the only one playing it here

bad dragon online?

beta invites pls

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Banano posted:

bad dragon online?

ummm.... is this a game involving custom dildos and fur suits?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

DiHK posted:

OP, new title request.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

DiHK posted:

Every game is, if you're dedicated enough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You've seen the video of the guy loving R2D2? That, but with an urban mech.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I didn't even know this even was going on...

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201603potofgold

There is also the MC phase 1 thing where you get a mechbay for buying the cheapest amount of MC.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 10, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Is that "Chivers" channel on mumble for Rocket League with goons?

Yes. It's basically Ohsh's channel for all your racing and car/cart needs.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I should have bought a Hellbringer earlier, holy poo poo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Banano posted:

bad dragon online?

beta invites pls

DiHK posted:

yes

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Why is the Orion IIC so bad? It looks like you could put a good brawling loadout on it at least

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Why is the Orion IIC so bad? It looks like you could put a good brawling loadout on it at least

it doesn't quite have enough speed or armor to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Repo Man posted:

I didn't even know this even was going on...

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201603potofgold

There is also the MC phase 1 thing where you get a mechbay for buying the cheapest amount of MC.

I was actually kind of interested in it until I read that the rewards maxed out at 2m cbills.

Pass.

• Locked thread