Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
To me the big advantage to using burner inserters for power production would be that they won't be subject to power problems. I've had a few brownouts where there was coal on the belts but no power to drive the inserters to load the boilers. Burner inserters would solve that, at the cost of slightly more pollution and energy consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Unfortunately your mining drills are still subject to brownouts. That's usually what happens to me, anyway: I expand too aggressively, trigger a brownout, and my mining drills fail, causing the brownout to become a blackout. (The solution is always solar panels :sun:)

also since when has your avatar said "Oooh, factorio tips!"?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I usually have lots of coal built up in chests both at the coal mine and then at the coal depot. Just no electricity to move them between chests and belts and cars and boilers.

Back in July I pasted the wrong link from my clipboard and then some goon was kind enough to make and purchase this avatar for me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Solumin posted:

Post a pic, I guess? It should work fine.

I had a fun situation where several burner inserters ran out of power with fuel in their hands. I had to manually re-fuel them, it was weird.

Edit: ^^ Or that. I use them to power my steam power plants' boilers, though it doesn't really matter since ~40 regular inserters aren't using that much power relative to late-game smelting and crafting.

Did you have multiple burner inserters feeding the same furnace? If the target is an inventory like a furnace or chest, inserters will not pick up unless there's a space to drop the item in it. The only way they can get stuck with an item in their hand is if the inventory is loaded by something else while they are in the process of picking up and moving the item, i.e. if you have more than one inserter feeding the same machine.

If the target is a full belt then they will sit idle, the arm holding the item but not using fuel. In the current version the only way for a burner inserter to run out of fuel with an item in its jaws is if it is trying to load a nearly-full belt that is moving too quickly for it, causing it to move around (and thus burn fuel) without being able to drop its cargo.

I believe that sometime before (or early in) 0.12, inserters were more naive and would just grab the first thing they could and then try to insert it in the drop location.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

Unfortunately your mining drills are still subject to brownouts.

I just started my first new game in a while, and I have a somewhat inefficient plan to avoid this. I'm relying on burner miners to power my steam engines. My setup is arranged in two rows. The back row is made up of pairs of burner miners feeding directly into each other. Each of these miners has a burner inserter pulling from it and feeding a miner in the front row, which empties onto a belt that runs past the boilers, which are also fed by burner inserters. It's not hugely scalable or environmentally friendly, but it does run independently of the power grid.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

I just started my first new game in a while, and I have a somewhat inefficient plan to avoid this. I'm relying on burner miners to power my steam engines. My setup is arranged in two rows. The back row is made up of pairs of burner miners feeding directly into each other. Each of these miners has a burner inserter pulling from it and feeding a miner in the front row, which empties onto a belt that runs past the boilers, which are also fed by burner inserters. It's not hugely scalable or environmentally friendly, but it does run independently of the power grid.

Wouldn't it be easier to setup a second, very small steam engine? ~3 boilers and 1 steam engine will be enough to power 4-5 electric mining drills. Divert some of the coal to the boilers using a splitter, and send the rest of the coal to your main power plant. I usually get by with only 1-3 electric mining drills feeding ~40 boilers, so 4-5 should be sufficient. You just have to make sure the power network stays independent of your main network and you'll be golden.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to setup a second, very small steam engine? ~3 boilers and 1 steam engine will be enough to power 4-5 electric mining drills. Divert some of the coal to the boilers using a splitter, and send the rest of the coal to your main power plant. I usually get by with only 1-3 electric mining drills feeding ~40 boilers, so 4-5 should be sufficient. You just have to make sure the power network stays independent of your main network and you'll be golden.

:doh: Yeah, that does sound better.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I literally just thought of it after reading your post, so... don't feel too bad?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
E: Should have refreshed!

Truga posted:

I'm doing this right now (using the mod for no crafting, but also not using any solar power because I find it boring). It's going to be fun when biters start attacking massively due to hilarious amounts of pollution I'll produce.

I wouldn't mind really long day/night cycles as an alternative to that. Would make for some interesting planning needs.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I like playing with designs that have variable cycles and non-constant demands (something that RSO makes you deal with unless you have huge buffers/trains). Making the day/night cycle really long should just be a simple script, no?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Roflex posted:

I like playing with designs that have variable cycles and non-constant demands (something that RSO makes you deal with unless you have huge buffers/trains). Making the day/night cycle really long should just be a simple script, no?

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=14509

:shrug:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
This game is amazing.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
It took about 4 or 5 tries where I'd die at 20 minutes in but I finally figured out a quick setup.

Not sure if the defenses will hold out for long enough for me to get to lasers. :black101:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So what happens when you set up a Very Large, Very High Amount, Very Rich setting on the enemy bases? This happens not far from the starter zone.

If it wasn't peaceful, I'd be dead.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Have you seen MangledPork's LivingWithBiters LP?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Watching this right now, second episode. This is good and pretty crazy. Thank you for the link.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Truga posted:

This is something I figured would be a neat idea as far as lubricant goes:

Wire your lube tank to a pump between your heavy oil and cracking refinery, set it to only turn on when there's more than 2480 lube in the tank (window rounds to 2.5k :shrug:).

This way, you'll never run out of lubricant because as soon as it's not full it'll stop cracking your heavy oil to light, and you'll also never have heavy oil overflow and clog your refineries. And all it takes is 2 red or green wires.

This is from ages back, but I implemented this in my oil refining yesterday. I really like the automated decision-making about when to turn heavy into light vs. lubricant. Is there a benefit to attaching a second pump, such that one pumps into the Heavy->Light plant, and one into the Heavy->Lubricant plant and the pumps have mutually exclusive conditions?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

If you are asking if there is a benefit to more complexity the answer is yes; always add additional complexity wherever possible.

small pumps

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

This is from ages back, but I implemented this in my oil refining yesterday. I really like the automated decision-making about when to turn heavy into light vs. lubricant. Is there a benefit to attaching a second pump, such that one pumps into the Heavy->Light plant, and one into the Heavy->Lubricant plant and the pumps have mutually exclusive conditions?

IMO not really. You want the lubricant tank full anyway, and it'll clog itself automatically once the chem plant output slot is full. The 2480 limit is there because setting 2490 or higher has had it clog for me on occasion due to cracking pump never starting itself up (I'm guessing rounding issues?), but 2480 never does. Eventually the tank will reach 2500 anyway, it'll just go slower beyond 2480.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nth Doctor posted:

Another way to solve the problem is devote a couple of oil wells purely to lube, turn the light + gas into fuel cubes and don't use advanced refining. The main refinery and wells you put on advanced and crack to PG.

widespread posted:

So what happens when you set up a Very Large, Very High Amount, Very Rich setting on the enemy bases? This happens not far from the starter zone.

I posted that a page or two ago but I made the starting area as small as possible and left aggression on. I wanted to see if just spawning gets you dead. It doesn't but you can't move far before you die (like 20 paces).

texasmed posted:

It took about 4 or 5 tries where I'd die at 20 minutes in but I finally figured out a quick setup.

Not sure if the defenses will hold out for long enough for me to get to lasers. :black101:

Cheering you on buddy, you certainly won't be lacking in artifacts if you make it.

Thyrork posted:

I wouldn't mind really long day/night cycles as an alternative to that. Would make for some interesting planning needs.

As people point out, solar is way too powerful as it stands from a reality point of view as well as game play. The other side of the coin though is that unless you mod, you can't get boiler or engine upgrades either and building enough capacity with steam has it's own problems. I prefer to stick with steam and screw the pollution - let the biters cough.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nth Doctor posted:

The benefit is that you're always ensuring that you have sufficient lubricant. If you ramp up lubricant consumption (mass-production of blue belts or electric engines, both of which you do want in large quantities), and your oil output isn't putting out heavy oil quickly enough, then you can run out of lubricant. It also means that you can overbuild on heavy -> light cracking without worrying about whether or not you'll run out of lubricant. Hell, you can even tie heavy oil cracking to the amount of heavy oil you have stored up and make sure that you only crack when that storage is getting full.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dirk the Average posted:

The benefit is that you're always ensuring that you have sufficient lubricant. If you ramp up lubricant consumption (mass-production of blue belts or electric engines, both of which you do want in large quantities), and your oil output isn't putting out heavy oil quickly enough, then you can run out of lubricant. It also means that you can overbuild on heavy -> light cracking without worrying about whether or not you'll run out of lubricant. Hell, you can even tie heavy oil cracking to the amount of heavy oil you have stored up and make sure that you only crack when that storage is getting full.
Phone posting.
I may have phrased my question poorly: I don't know enough about fluid physics to answer this on my own, but is there a chance that if the heavy->light were connected with just a pipe, and the only pump was feeding heavy-> lubricant that some heavy could make it into the heavy-> light plant?

Thinking harder about this, I doubt really care if extra lube gets made because as was mentioned: The lube will eventually clog itself. Sounds like the answer could be a single pump between heavy source and heavy-> light instead of a pump between the source and each consuming branch.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a pump that turns off heavy -> light because I've been in situations where I'm starving for oil and at that point I care the most about lube and less about anything else, because I need those express belts. Without a pump I was making a little bit of lube and a little bit going into the light oil supply, but with the pump I can make sure I get maximum lube.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does anyone have a setup for making all 3 types of blue belt they like?

Automating just the belts is pretty easy, but I often end up hand crafting and feeding I the precursors for the other two when I need more.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

Automating just the belts is pretty easy, but I often end up hand crafting and feeding I the precursors for the other two when I need more.

I have a fairly good setup that automates blue belts and blue underground belts, but not blue splitters. (I didn't need as many of those, I just feed the materials to the assembler when I need them.) I'll post a pic later today.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I saw a section of Breetai's bus do that here:

Loving this 2 spaces between each element; I used to branch off the bus very slowly and with a lot of stress because I'd have to underground several things to to make space. Now I get blue research up and running without breaking a sweat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've got a smaller setup here

just for belts, though. I added in the other types after I took the SS; there's room north of the blue belts for them. There's a missing inserter between the yellow belt and the red belt factory, and that chest holding yellow belts is extraneous, used for dumping the old belts I replaced back into the flow.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2016

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Bedurndurn posted:

I built a rail network with 3 stops, mostly for fun (OpenTTD is my jam). Honestly resources are so plentiful and train cars hold so little that I just said gently caress it and started building red belts to everywhere instead of playing around with trains.

Fiddle around a bit with the world generation settings. You can set your mineral deposits to be smaller and more spread out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Has anyone heard about issue where game decides to lock to 26fps and have heavy tearing? It started happening few days ago each time after I alt+tabbed, but now it begins in main menu before I even load a map. RTSS shows that GPU usage is at 98%. No mods.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Sounds like some other program might be interfering.

If you like to alt-tab a lot while you play, try running Factorio in a window.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Stick Insect posted:

Sounds like some other program might be interfering.

If you like to alt-tab a lot while you play, try running Factorio in a window.
Fullscreen means windowed fullscreen in Factorio so it's windowed no matter what.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

LLSix posted:

I prefer this inefficient monstrosity, with bonus of connecting chests to robot network, so with some clever wiring you can just trash-slot all yellow and red variants and your minions will feed them back here for upgrades.

Use 2 lanes of Iron Gear Belts on both sides, or blue underground is gonna choke.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Since I don't have a red circuit factory on the bus, I just manually add the splitter components. I could use the logistics network, but I don't need enough splitters for it to really be worth it. (Not until I need to expand, anyway.)
A single regular transport belt factory is more than capable of supplying belts for both blue underground and regular blue belts. It could easily handle blue splitters, too.

Taikuri's belt-driven design is probably better in terms of throughput, at least for underground belts. Those things chew through iron gear wheels like nobody's business, and I can assure you that 3 assemblers is not enough if you want maximum throughput.
However, I don't worry about maximizing throughput on these. They don't need to be running at 100% capacity, I just need them to produce a lot of belts over a long period of time.

(Note: I have a separate factory for building yellow and red belts, so I don't bother storing those in this factory. I built this section way late in the game, so I just focused on what I needed.)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Man, planning where to set up a Science Pack Factory is pretty... tough. I mean, I could opt for a straight line, or I could try for something more efficient. Or maybe it's close by to the current mining operations or far from them. Ach, what do.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"Maximum biters on friendly mode" is a fun gimmick. It makes efficient layouts basically impossible, so you end up having to puzzle out individual blocks of smelters and so on and using tangles of belts to connect open spaces.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My self-managing oil setup:

I used above-ground pipes for visibility, but you should run pipes underground whenever possible.

1. Heavy oil first gets used to make lubricant; any left over is cracked to light oil.
2. Light oil only gets made into petroleum gas if you aren't already full on it.
3. Left over light oil gets made into solid fuel. You can just trim off that branch if you have no need for solid fuel yet.

Each of the rows can be extended off to the right indefinitely. No additional tanks are ever needed.

Edit: The pump hooked up to the petroleum tank is pointing left, if that isn't clear.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

Man, planning where to set up a Science Pack Factory is pretty... tough. I mean, I could opt for a straight line, or I could try for something more efficient. Or maybe it's close by to the current mining operations or far from them. Ach, what do.

Straight lines are plenty efficient:

This started as a single red science factory, and I eventually expanded to include green, blue and purple science. Not pictured: Transport belt and inserter factories on the other side of the belt. The only real planning I did was leaving room for the second science belt between the labs and putting the gap between the blue science factories for the purple science assembler. Everything else just kind of happened.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Solumin posted:

Straight lines are plenty efficient:

This started as a single red science factory, and I eventually expanded to include green, blue and purple science. Not pictured: Transport belt and inserter factories on the other side of the belt. The only real planning I did was leaving room for the second science belt between the labs and putting the gap between the blue science factories for the purple science assembler. Everything else just kind of happened.

Ahh, I see now. Right now, I sorta got this running:

My main problem is figuring out where to put the split pieces in order to not waste them all on science. Should I just throw them in a chest until I get some tech that needs it?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "split pieces." Do you mean the extra red and green science? If so, putting them in a chest is fine -- you'll build up a buffer. Personally, I prefer to dump them on the belts and let the labs pick them up when needed. This is useful in that it stops your science factories from hogging resources that are needed elsewhere, and instead they'll only produce science when you have research going. (You should be able to produce science faster than it's consumed, especially once you hit the mid- to late-game.) Either approach will work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I meant the spare Copper and Iron I would get from the splitters. But if it's the same concept, then I can do that.