Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I may have overworked this one slightly

lol

This is absolutely loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Beet Wagon posted:

paging Mr. Tophat...

I'll buy it when it gets optimized :wotwot:

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Risc1911 posted:

There is also the very long and hard to get PS4 TRC. (Technical Requirements Checklist) or the TCR (Technical Certification Requirements) for Microsoft. This usually takes a developer around 6 months of additional development and testing if not more depending on team size. We are talking a massive amount of features not bug testing, these are actual required features that take time to implement.

This is part of the checklists:

• Base Requirements (BAS)
• Multi-Disc Games (MDG)
• Video and Graphics (VID)
• Audio (AUD)
• User Interface (UI)
• Peripherals (PER)
• Voice Peripherals (VOP)
• Text Input Devices (TID)
• Video Camera Peripheral (VCP)
• Storage (STR)
• Game Clips (GC)
• Content Packages (CP)
• Online Content
• Gamer Profiles (GP)
• Statistics and Achievements (SA)
• Multiplayer Sessions (MPS)
• Communication, Messaging, Text, Voice (CMTV)
• Network (NET)
• System Link (SL)
• Advertised Feature Requirements (AFR)
• Game Demos (DEM)

One example would be that Trophies and Remote Play are mandatory for all PS4 titles to pass certification. It goes even so far as to details how non interactive pausing of the game has to work.

There are also VERY STRICT rules regarding game updates. No downloading 30GB every patch. In addition it usually takes 2 weeks for a patch to get approved.

There is no way they can get through the approval process until the end of the year if they do not already have all these requirements prepared and in their development plan. I doubt they have even started with these yet.

^^ These and heaps of additional rules regarding publishing on those consoles is why Sq42 isn't coming to XB1 or PS4 (this year at least).

As a systems / online programmer (where we need to be considering these restrictions from almost day one) it always amazes me how little game devs working in other areas of a game know (or care!) about the rules that determine whether your team's game is shippable on a given platform until the desperate crunch at the end. Now, IIRC, CryEngine 3.x was advertised as a feature complete and certification ready engine, i.e. most of the ground work for certification is already done for you, so long as you don't go too far off the reservation... IMO "StarEngine" is about as far from the reservation as it can be without being on a completely different continent - they are going to have all kinds of problems if they really do intend to get this on console.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

ABSOLUTELY, PTU RELEASES, SHIPS, HORNET BIGGER PROCESSING WISE SERVER SIMULATION TRAFFIC FACTOR WORKING ON, REFACTORING SMART UPDATE, ZONE SYSTEM, NETWORK LOD UPDATE LOD SEE THINGS FAR AWAY ACTIVE PLAYER, YOU MULTIPLE CORES, MULTI-THREADING PHYSICS PROCESSING, CRUSADER, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH MESH A LOT MORE INSTANCE LITTLE EXCITING DELIVER

Somehow more comprehensible.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
10 For the Chairman: Episode 67
Sep 21, 2015 @ 8:55

Since all is coming together now and game mechanics are getting more and more complex, how do you plan to introduce the specific parts like electronic warfare, mining etc. to the players?

Well, good job you asked because that's what I've been talking about! So the whole idea is sort of SC alpha 1.3, baby PU whatever you want to err call it. That is where we are bringing in all the new game mechanics, so for instance when we have err the voxel asteroids up and running and we can mine them we would start spawning err far asteroid fields built from voxels out somewhere in the large world make and you could fly out to it in your mining ship and be able to mine and bring minerals back and sell them for some money in the local space station. Err of if by that time we actually have the planetary landings in land down on a planetary landing and and and sell them down on the ground. So the idea is that the mechanics sort of things like mining, electronic warfare, urm all those sort of things are going to be err tested evolved err polished in this large world map that we have in SC alpha 1.3 and onwards and err that's how we are we are getting a lot of the functionality err out there in the wild and getting feedback on it and that will form the basis of Star Citizen. So I think err once that comes out err it's going to be pretty cool because you will start to see a lot of possibility in game play that you don't see right now, because right now if you flying in space it's pretty much arena commander and it's like close quarter dog fighting and that's it. And so everyone very much focuses on balance for close quarter dog fighting, controls for close quarter dog fighting erm but the ultimate Star Citizen game is going to have so much more than that. That's only one small component err of the gameplay there will be a lot of sort of adventure components or exploration components or trading components and all these things that I think are going to make the Star Citizen universe incredibly rich and at the fidelity we are doing it which you know you haven't really seen before. Urm and that's all going to roll out in the large world setting that we are doing for the multi crew and erm so there you go, that's where we are going to test it urm and err we will be looking forward to you feedback, so it's going to be pretty cool.

--
And a bonus question to explain all about the differences between torpedoes and missiles in space.

What is the difference between a missile and a torpedo in Star Citizen? They seem to fill very similar roles, but are apparently distinct sizes / types of weapons.

Yeah urm I mean you know, in space not the not the hugest difference between really the functionality of a missile and a torpedo. For us really the sort of the determination is more about sort of the size of the payload and the speed and the turning ability. So torpedos are really sort of much bigger yield errr errr missiles essentially. That can't move as fast can't turn as fast but do vast amounts of specific ship to ship damage and you know so technically you know I don't know if you want to think of them as super big super slow missiles but that's essentially what they are. Erm and sort of they sort of more keyed for sort of erm bigger ships so multi sort of the multi crew ship level and above of err ships you know missiles in general are much quicker accelerate much quicker turn much quicker erm much better have more sort of tracking options and err and err but not as much of a sort of payload or yield. Urm so there you go hopefully that helps it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

CPAPman made himself a holo-computer:

Just NO.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

You'd think that HR mastermind Sandi "best HR manager in the world and has been since she was a little girl" Gardener would pick a member of staff who didn't have a headache inducing, incomprehensible speech impediment as their "public face".

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

these forums are a real "perfect storm" of terrible fanart. The cosplays are just as bad.

CPAPman made himself a holo-computer:

He had made the text backwards so it could be more fidelitous :allears:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

smellmycheese posted:

Ha ha. That was my favourite answer from this week's "Ask Cap'n Bullshit'. Even my loving grandmother could tell you that sounds like a load of old bollocks.

I made a Cat_word_cloud out of that (Cloud generator: http://www.wordclouds.com/ - Use the Cat shape)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Xaerael posted:

You'd think that HR mastermind Sandi "best HR manager in the world and has been since she was a little girl" Gardener would pick a member of staff who didn't have a headache inducing, incomprehensible speech impediment as their "public face".

I'm have a suspicion that they're all signed up to whatever Performing Rights Agency covers that part of the world, and these youtube shitshows are somehow counted as performances.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Guys can you stop all the circular back patting about not being as retarded as the whales on the brown sea for sinking thousands of dollars into this shitshow because when you did it it was totally different. If you've ever pledged more than the base $35 Kickstarter level then you were just as dumb as the people still clinging to it now.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wait. What the gently caress.
Why does one of the screens say nicotine (C10H14N2)?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I made a Cat_word_cloud out of that (Cloud generator: http://www.wordclouds.com/ - Use the Cat shape)

I'm the upside down UHM.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TTerrible posted:

Guys can you stop all the circular back patting about not being as retarded as the whales on the brown sea for sinking thousands of dollars into this shitshow because when you did it it was totally different. If you've ever pledged more than the base $35 Kickstarter level then you were just as dumb as the people still clinging to it now.

Anyone who pledges to or preorders a game is retarded.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sedisp posted:

He had made the text backwards so it could be more fidelitous :allears:

He may want to adjust his flight config.

You don't enjoy the saga of CPAPman? Well then you'll never be allowed on Jacketman's dope Freelancer which is uniquely named Ser3nity.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's stuff like this that kept me lurking here for ages, would never have thought of that in a million years. They should just show that on 10ftc, it could just slowly rotate anti-clockwise, for 45 mins. Actually they'd manage to gently caress that up anyway.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Holy Crap.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Positive. It's not all of the issues, but 4 out of the 5 I have bookmarked say 'expired' and the clock is counting up, 1 of which is the one that was 'fixed' (added 2 days to timer, which counted out and repeated cycle) and one is my own.
Strangely they are all controls related, which has proven CIG's most touchy and inept subject (controls Katamari eclipses anything else on the forum, even LTI).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-8996-Vjoy_implementation_is_bugged -this one said '13 days' when I posted it 3 days ago...

Ok, apologies I am not very familiar with this system. So in the example you linked "voting starts in 16 days" is actually showing a counter that has a brown color background (it also says entered January 23), and those with a blue one seem to be working fine. Was your issue in PTU? Those may tend to be ignored once Live hits no?

It seems all the issues I can see from the main council page are all blue background, i.e. correct issues still awaiting for countdown, but I can not locate any with voting expired like yours. I presume there is no way to filter those unless you have the bookmark?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 9, 2016

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

orcinus posted:

Bet you that's his character's name.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

What if they pledge a second time for $2500 after being refunded? What kind of person are they then?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

You don't enjoy the saga of CPAPman? Well then you'll never be allowed on Jacketman's dope Freelancer which is uniquely named Ser3nity.

Why is his head conical?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Cool I pledged zero. Did you pledge 35 dollars?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

orcinus posted:

They are probably hauling a shipment of super potent Space Catbacco, which is used by the feline temptresses of Planet Ladycat to seduce passing sailors and drown them - wait, I got my storylines confused.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I'm retarded. In my defense, i only ever hosed up once*
With these assholes: http://badlandstudio.com/kinetic-void/

The name should've been a dead giveaway that something's wrong.

Alas, i was sleepy and slightly drunk when i hit that button.

* by which i mean i only ever backed a piece of poo poo / never-delivered game once, not counting SC, which i got a refund for quite a while ago

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

He may want to adjust his flight config.

jesus christ It's a never ending niagra

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I forget which goon said it, but my favorite joke about this was "good job meeting a never-was in a has-been's office."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

orcinus posted:

Why is his head conical?

He didn't learn to cut and paste properly like Maximizationman

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ben Lesnick, Developer

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

That broken right wrist makes me cringe.

"Honey, can you twist your hand a bit, i need it to be on your thigh."
"BUT IT HURTS!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

jesus christ It's a never ending niagra

I haven't even posted some of the "classics" that get posted here all the time. You've seen the full image of CPAPman right? And the entire photoshoot done by Cigarman?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

orcinus posted:

I'm retarded. In my defense, i only ever hosed up once*
With these assholes: http://badlandstudio.com/kinetic-void/

The name should've been a dead giveaway that something's wrong.

You got scammed by a goon who got scammed by Crobber. Star Citizen, an ouroboros of bad decisions.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

- Yup, that's piss, alright.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SelenicMartian posted:

- Yup, that's piss, alright.

LMAO

It's too much. I'll catch up tomorrow, I have poo poo to do. I'll post more transcripts tomorrow and keep doing it until you all tell me to gently caress away off.

edit - if this is the stuff they're showing people on camera, what the gently caress are they NOT showing?

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 9, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

lol, a lot of his posts on Reddit are about those mean Goons

PTEveD is real and it is NOT a joke

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fuctifino posted:

WARNING: DO NOT WATCH THAT VIDEO

If you hate yourself they have a whole channel of that poo poo

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Just dropped my deuce video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbl6jXDOAjw

Feel free to give me feedback.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TTerrible posted:

I never even spent $35 so this thread makes me feel like a genius.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:29

Q: What type of work is being done to increase the server population capacity? Should we expect to see 24 or 32 player instances in the near future?

A: The answer to that is ABSOLUTELY, I think, ah, if you've been watching some of the chatter on the recent, ah, PTU RELEASES, and, ah, you know, what's gonna be in 2.2... eh, it is, ah, gonna be 24 players, so we've been working, ah, ah, HARD on sort of optimizing areas so we can sort of scale more, I think I've mentioned before that the, you know, the biggest issue that we have is uhm, uh, just the overhead that the ships have because they're very complicated, they have multiple... items that have all this functionality, they need to talk to each other over the network... they're attached to SHIPS, a ship isn't just one entity you know, in the case of a HORNET it can be fifty or sixty, in the case of a BIGGER ship it's a lot more than... fifty or sixty, so they're very heavy, ah, sort of PROCESSING WISE and the SERVER in terms of just SIMULATION and also in... in network, um, sort of TRAFFIC... So, in general, that's, em, you know, more the limiting... FACTOR which... we've been WORKING ON, so we're... we're REFACTORING a lot of things to... make it much more, ah, SMART about when it has to UPDATE, ah, and all the other things and that sort of ties into the work that we've done in the past on the ZONE SYSTEM, we're doing sort of a, uh, whatever you wanna call it, a NETWORK LOD and an UPDATE LOD that sort of scopes depending on, you know, whether you can SEE THINGS, how FAR AWAY they are, whether they are ACTIVE, whether it's another PLAYER, whether it's relevant to YOU and... so hopefully all that stuff em, you know, helps... increase the load that we can do and we're doing things like we're... we're... you know, pushing more and more into MULTIPLE CORES, more... MULTI-THREADING to, you know, be able to do more... you know... PHYSICS PROCESSING at the same time as we're doing more sort of entity updating and simulation. So ehm you know, part of the benef... part of the result of that is moving to more players in, eh, CRUSADER, we'll continue and we're expecting to continue to sort of push that over time, eh, to get more and more and uh, you know we're actually working on... some ah, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH uhm, that will allow us to ah, sort of MESH A LOT MORE... players all in essentially what will be kind of sort of the same, ah, INSTANCE, uhm so but that's sort of ah, you know a LITTLE further along, but, eh, it's ahh... yeah, I think EXCITING so I think we'll be able to DELIVER probably more players than we were thinking originally... in concurrent areas... ah... so... when I think, actually there's a question about that so... I maybe talk a bit more about it then...

Comparing the old episodes to the newer ones makes it absolutely clear they are complete fantasy. Even the mundane stuff where he doesn't promise birds and space farming. Though the funnest thing has to be the random words that out of nowhere he says with a strong liverpudlian accent.

10 for the Chairman: Episode 68
Sep 28, 2015 @ 22:06

Will players be travelling in fleets be able to send out ships to scout the route ahead? How do you envision this working with instances and the matchmaking system?

Yeah if you are travelling in a fleet and you want err send err a friend of yours out in a ship ahead err they can go to err another area and you know the way the system is gonna work is that we only spin we only hand you off to another server urm if there is too many people urm in this area of space in the server. So like you know at the very beginning if there is only two people in the star system urm you know and say you can have 50 people in err maximum in any one server right these I'm give an example numbers that's not necessarily what the final numbers will be. Erm those two people will be on the same server and that will persis that will continue err if there was 10 there would still be those same 10 people on the same server. Now once we get over the server maximum say 50 and we move to 60 that point we can't fit 60 people in a in one server so we would basically say ok, lets look at the locations and say ok well, here is an area that is fairly dense say it's a planet, say it's Earth. So err in earth that will be its own sort of separate server zone and err people near around Earth will be talking to the server that's controlling that. And err people on the other side of the solar system say around Pluto or flying around generally out in space will be talking to another server and so you will sort of sort of split out players to additional servers as more people come into the solar system. Err and then when we have a few servers running that's when you sort of have to deal with the instancing of like ok we want to keep people together if they are part of the same sort of organisation or party or they are friendly or they have you know known to each other as a person of interest erm so in most cases unless there is you know you are getting into like huge battles and loads amounts of people you could send someone ahead to like scout an asteroid field and come back and say it's fine or you know what there is a couple of pirates out here and the rest of your fleet would come to where you were you would still all be in the same server and erm you know you would have an encounter and even if there was you were on separate servers because there were too many people on the solar system and the asteroid field was handled by a different server then say where the rest of your fleet is urm we always try to keep slots open on servers for sort of friends to join basically cough and so the message would go out from your scout saying "Hey join me" and there will be a certain number of slots available for the fleet and the ones that would be available would be filled and if erm cough there was too many people then we would just have to make a decision of, do we keep the fleet together and put it in another instance or do we spit it up. Erm and we haven't really decided how that would work yet. Erm on that you know you can have an argument for both ways so we may make it user definable or we may try it one way and see how it plays. Erm cough and so there you go.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sedisp posted:

You got scammed by a goon who got scammed by Crobber. Star Citizen, an ouroboros of bad decisions.

What goes around, parps around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I can't take it. Too many ums and maybes and probablies.

Please make the pain stop.

• Locked thread