Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

neaden posted:

So I checked this out and it just seems, well, super 90's. Super 90's White Wolf really, with a meta-plot, and a huge amount of terminology, fiddly powers, characters built with multiple kinds of build points etc. Does this play a lot smoother in person then it reads?

I couldn't tell you as I've never played it at the table. I have owned it for a while, but I've never played it. It's not exactly my style of Supers game: Masks is currently becoming my favorite, if you're curious of what I want out of a Supers game (push narrative, less toolkit powers). While AMP does have that with the loyalties stuff, it just ends up being too heavy for my personal interest.

I don't think it is bad or anything like that, but it is something for people willing to give Meta-plot and its particular mechanics a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kitelion/dethroned-the-card-game?ref=nav_search

So the president of my university's game development club just (finally) launched his card game on Kickstarter. It kinda plays like fast-paced Mafia with a lot more vigorous card slapping. The profit margins are laughably low (I think he's making like $1 per deck , if even that) so it's more a passion project than anything, but the game is really really solid. Lemme know if you have any questions or feedback you'd like me to ask or give.

Also he has the rules up so you could test it out before you back if you want!

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 9, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:cthulhu: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder :cthulhu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/sandy-petersens-cthulhu-mythos-for-pathfinder

quote:

Sandy Petersen is the undisputed authority on the Cthulhu Mythos in games as the author of the groundbreaking game Call of CthulhuIncluding:

A bestiary with over 100 entries, almost half never before seen in a Pathfinder book before.
Over 25 Mythos Entities: Creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries I-V now authoritatively revised & updated in this book. Additionally, the original entries as found in the Bestiaries I-V are also included for easy reference and comparison.
Over 50 NEW Mythos Entries: Creatures from the Cthulhu Mythos that have never before been published in any Pathfinder Bestiary.
Over 40 'Unusual Suspects': Creatures that could (and maybe should) be in the Cthulhu Mythos, found in the pages of the current Pathfinder Bestiaries. Some have been updated to reflect our new rules.
Adventures: Plot Hooks and Campaign starters by Sandy Petersen and others.
How to run horror in a heroic sword and sorcery setting by Sandy Petersen., the first game ever to bring HP Lovecraft’s work to the gaming world.

He now proudly presents Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder, by Petersen Games. This is the definitive and ultimate guide to bringing Lovecraft to the high fantasy sword and sorcery worlds played using the Pathfinder rule system.

Your band of heroes can now fight (and maybe even defeat) monstrous horrors and bizarre, inhumanly advanced races in adventures featuring these unique entities, their magics, and the alien technologies accurately portrayed from Lovecraftian works!

Why Pathfinder?

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers. Since Paizo released the first playtest documents in March of 2008, more than 50,000 gamers have downloaded the rules and posted their feedback, resulting in a year-long open playtest that was the largest in the history of tabletop roleplaying games. Going back to the beginning of the game's third edition, the rules engine that powers the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game have enjoyed more than 15 years of active playtesting and revision.

Some Cthulhu Mythos has already been introduced in Pathfinder, but we plan to bring an authoritative expertise of Lovecraftian Horror to the game. Our goal is that this book will be the ultimate guide to the Cthulhu Mythos for the Pathfinder Role-Playing Game.

Sandy Petersen brought Cthulhu to role-playing games with his groundbreaking game Call of Cthulhu and now wants to bring the Mythos to the high fantasy world of Pathfinder.

We also believe that no game of Pathfinder is complete without great miniatures, and we have plenty to include in this campaign. These miniatures come fully assembled and ready to be played immediately.

Really the draw is the miniatures.

Fully funded already.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bhole hatchling.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I like that the 'Why Pathfinder?' heading gives me no actual explanation for why I'd want to play Cthulhu mythos poo poo in Pathfinder.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I can't wait to be terrified by the new madness system.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I like that the 'Why Pathfinder?' heading gives me no actual explanation for why I'd want to play Cthulhu mythos poo poo in Pathfinder.

Why Pathfinder?

Well the name of the kickstarter says "for Pathfinder" in it, so we assumed that if you read this far that you were already sold.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kitelion/dethroned-the-card-game?ref=nav_search

So the president of my university's game development club just (finally) launched his card game on Kickstarter. It kinda plays like fast-paced Mafia with a lot more vigorous card slapping. The profit margins are laughably low (I think he's making like $1 per deck , if even that) so it's more a passion project than anything, but the game is really really solid. Lemme know if you have any questions or feedback you'd like me to ask or give.

This looks neat and would fit in with my are you a werewolf liking friends but not needing 10 people all the time! Thanks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

This looks really interesting and seems like it'd be rife with opportunities for me to tell my gaming buddies to eat poo poo as I murder them or vice versa.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Perhaps you were a big fan of the D20 implementation of Call of Cthulhu and want to bring it into the Pathfinder era? No? Nobody? Yeah, I don't get it either.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Here, lemme summarize the "Why Pathfinder?" section:
"Because Pathfinder has a large fan-base that will buy any poo poo we throw at them as long as we use the name Cthulhu and have at least half decent production values."

In my experience the Venn diagram of "nerds who like Lovecraft" and "nerds who play Pathfinder" is almost a circle.

Edit: Lemme rephrase that, since I realize that's not at all what I meant to say. In my experience pretty much everyone who plays Pathfinder also likes (or at least claims to like) Lovecraft stuff, no matter how badly done.

senrath fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 9, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

At first I thought I could adapt the D20 stats for 13th Age, but then realized I still haven't done that with D20 CoC.

Yeah, no idea here.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now I'm imagining a Potato Salad-style KS for a game that's literally titled "Fantasy Heartbreaker" and raises all the red flags. By Gamers For Gamers. Lets you be ANYTHING YOU WANT. Uses a two d20. Claim to more realistic than D&D. Concept art of 20 different polearms. A sidebar on crossbows and plate encumbrance. A create-your-own-spell magic system. OSR compatibility. A tribute to Gary Gygax Dave Arneson as the REAL genius behind fantasy roleplaying. 50 dollars for a PDF.

And a risks section that's just "There's a risk this won't be completed!"

Resurrecting this post to say: you literally described the Conan RPG kickstarter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Looks pretty cool. A bit chaotic, but simple enough. Hopefully there are rules to integrate the two sets for 5-8p

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
They're going to make a Pathfinder Cthulhu book just because it will make a truckload of money? What an incredibly silly reason. I would never do that if I was running a business.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah let's not let the fact that Pathfinder isn't very well suited to depicting Cthuloid horror to stand in the way of how it's going to sell like gangbusters for reasons not at all related to design and gameplay.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty torn for that reason, I don't want Pathfinder anything but there are a lot of figures there for mythos creatures that don't get represented often and they look like they'd be so much fun to paint. :(

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm pretty torn for that reason, I don't want Pathfinder anything but there are a lot of figures there for mythos creatures that don't get represented often and they look like they'd be so much fun to paint. :(

You can get the minis without getting any pathfinder book. Also those are jut the Cthulhu Wars minis again.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks pretty cool. A bit chaotic, but simple enough. Hopefully there are rules to integrate the two sets for 5-8p

The two sets integrate pretty seamlessly. We usually mixed and matched between the two sets rather heavily, and our play groups were usually around 5-6 players. It's really the weapon decks that are the limiting factor for how many players there are, as each player needs a deck, and there are only four per set.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The two sets integrate pretty seamlessly. We usually mixed and matched between the two sets rather heavily, and our play groups were usually around 5-6 players. It's really the weapon decks that are the limiting factor for how many players there are, as each player needs a deck, and there are only four per set.

I meant like suggested setups for 5+ players to restrain some semblance of balance between the types that want to keep things alive versus the things that want others dead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

QuantumNinja posted:

Resurrecting this post to say: you literally described the Conan RPG kickstarter.

That isn't the case at all, though. I don't think a single one of the points he listed fits.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

Fenris Games sells resin versions of the Cthulhu Wars figures - http://fenrisgames.com/shop#!/Cthulhu-Wars/c/6054050/offset=0&sort=normal - not sure how good the prices are compared to the new KS though.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think anyone is calling Sandy Petersen's business sense into question, just his artistic integrity (if he ever had such a thing.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Leperflesh posted:

That isn't the case at all, though. I don't think a single one of the points he listed fits.

Yeah, Modiphius aren't exactly fresh-faced kids who've never done an RPG before trying to publish their D&D houserules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy Heartbreaker KS pitch could totes be the next Afterthought skit, complete with "oh hey, didn't see you there!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

You can get the minis without getting any pathfinder book. Also those are jut the Cthulhu Wars minis again.

I was going to say.

As for cost, I'd have to sit down with a calculator and an inventory for Cthulhu Wars to get an exact costing, but I think it's about $600 for all the minis on this project plus quite a few more (mostly GOOs and Dreamlands monsters) and you get a boardgame attached.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Jesus. There's already a really great system for portraying Cthulhu Mythos in role-playing, and it's called Call of Cthulhu. WTF, Sandy Peterson??

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57306923/this-is-not-a-test-post-apocalyptic-skimirsh-ruleb?ref=category

This Is Not A Test is making a hardcover book!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

yegods posted:

Jesus. There's already a really great system for portraying Cthulhu Mythos in role-playing, and it's called Call of Cthulhu. WTF, Sandy Peterson??

As a wise man once said, "it is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

yegods posted:

But don't you remember this classic story?

A Shadow Over Innsmouth posted:

And yet I saw them in a limitless stream—flopping, hopping, croaking, bleating—surging inhumanly through the spectral moonlight in a grotesque, malignant saraband of fantastic nightmare. And some of them had tall tiaras of that nameless whitish-gold metal . . . and some were strangely robed . . . and one, who led the way, was clad in a ghoulishly humped black coat and striped trousers, and had a man’s felt hat perched on the shapeless thing that answered for a head. . . .

I think their predominant colour was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked.

But for all of their monstrousness they were not unfamiliar to me. I knew too well what they must be—for was not the memory of that evil tiara at Newburyport still fresh? They were the blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design—living and horrible—and as I saw them I knew also of what that humped, tiaraed priest in the black church basement had so fearsomely reminded me. Their number was past guessing. It seemed to me that there were limitless swarms of them—and certainly my momentary glimpse could have shewn only the least fraction. 

I cast empowered fireball.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I have a friend for whom this kickstarter is perfectly targeted. Their group basically only does Pathfinder, because "we know the rules" and "all systems are basically the same anyway" and such similar grog. But they love Mythos stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

yegods posted:

Actually CoC is a mediocre to okay system that skates by heavily on nostalgia.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Isn't Cthullu already in Pathfinder as a neutral god of athiesm or something? Ignoring the fact Cthullu is just a jaborine and the real threat are guys like Hastur.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nah, he's Chaotic Evil. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu

The neutral vaguely old-oneish god who's associated with atheists is http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Groetus

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Isn't Cthullu already in Pathfinder as a neutral god of athiesm or something? Ignoring the fact Cthullu is just a jaborine and the real threat are guys like Hastur.

D&D and Pathfinder have been using tentacled whatevers from the realms of madness for literal decades now, Cthulhu was in an old TSR supplement that ran afoul of copyright issues, there was Cthulhu d20 back in the 3E days, I'm absolutely positive there must be plenty of not-Cthulhu stuff in Pathfinder already, I can't even begin to understand how Pathfinder Cthulhu is some weird controversial thing to some people in the year 2016. Newsflash, Sandy Peterson likes money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper has a line of Pathfinder-licensed minis. They also already have a passel of Cthulhu minis, and more on the way with the latest Bones kickstarter. I haven't looked, but I assume the new Cthulhu pathfinder crossover minis are being made by Reaper? It makes sense if they're extending their relationship, since there's already the backbone of a set of Cthulhu minis in the store to support the game from the outset.

It's also an opportunity for Paizo to branch out from Pathfinder. It's a good idea to diversify your product portfolio, because having only one major product line leaves you more vulnerable to the whims of the marketplace. If Pathfinder suddenly loses popularity and they have no other product lines to help sustain them, Paizo could wind up in trouble. Even if the Cthulhu line of products only break even, that's worthwhile from a product diversity perspective.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hell, the first stat up for a lot of Call of Cthulhu monsters was in a bestiary for Runequest 2nd, so while there may not have been any fireballs, I guarantee at some point someone took out a deep one with fireblade or maybe sever spirit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, so 7th Sea announces EU-friendly shipping, and suddenly they are knocking on the door of a million dollars.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Honestly I'm all for loving around with the Mythos, since I find trying to emulate Lovecraft's stories to be a desperately boring endeavor more often than not. Given a choice between playing a wizard throwing lasers at space crabs and a intellectual who pees himself and faints at the sight of miscegenation fish people, I'd probably play the wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leperflesh posted:

Reaper has a line of Pathfinder-licensed minis. They also already have a passel of Cthulhu minis, and more on the way with the latest Bones kickstarter. I haven't looked, but I assume the new Cthulhu pathfinder crossover minis are being made by Reaper? It makes sense if they're extending their relationship, since there's already the backbone of a set of Cthulhu minis in the store to support the game from the outset.

It's also an opportunity for Paizo to branch out from Pathfinder. It's a good idea to diversify your product portfolio, because having only one major product line leaves you more vulnerable to the whims of the marketplace. If Pathfinder suddenly loses popularity and they have no other product lines to help sustain them, Paizo could wind up in trouble. Even if the Cthulhu line of products only break even, that's worthwhile from a product diversity perspective.

They're not diversifying, it's literally just a monster manual for Pathfinder with mythos monsters and some tacked on sanity rules. They even admit that less than half of the monsters are new and the rest are just compiled from other pathfinder books. The miniatures are just game pieces from Cthulu Wars. It's a way for RPG players to get the minis without shelling out for the board game.

• Locked thread