Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Martian would have been ten times more enjoyable as like a 6 part HBO miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a breezy fun movie. Stretching it out would be awful.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fayez Butts posted:

The Martian would have been ten times more enjoyable as like a 6 part HBO miniseries.

If there's one thing I thought of when I was watching The Martian, "I wish there was more of it" wasn't it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I only saw Interstellar and loved it

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

CelticPredator posted:

It was a breezy fun movie. Stretching it out would be awful.

I'll agree that it was breezy in a mostly good way but I think with proper writing there are brief subplots that could turn into actual plots. There are some abbreviated story beats that could be given room to breathe.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I found out today that I can't stand Max Landis.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I don't dislike Gravity but it was just OK, in the end. Now The Martian, that was a movie that I liked that I was a little sad (though not terribly surprised in hindsight) that RLM didn't care for.

They didn't like The Martian?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Yaws posted:

They didn't like The Martian?

They complained that for a movie all about a single character, that one character didn't grow or change at all

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Gravity fuckin owns.

You shouldn't say that writing does not matter in a film just because you enjoy it for other reasons.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Teflon Don posted:

I found out today that I can't stand Max Landis.

No one can or should be required to.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Judakel posted:

You shouldn't say that writing does not matter in a film just because you enjoy it for other reasons.

The writing (and by writing what everybody really means here is dialogue) is the most minimal part of Gravity. It could literally have worked as a silent film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sU7bsDhgxU

I mean... We already know Mike loved it. So I'm wondering where this'll go.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Judakel posted:

I agree that gravity sucked and had lovely writing, but this line of thought is wrong. Does the writing in Fantasia matter?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bet it'll be a 'take down' in the vein of their Prometheus question video.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

I bet it'll be a 'take down' in the vein of their Prometheus question video.

Please stop pretending that video wasn't a criticism of the film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prometheus is a fine film. A fine movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay himself said it wasn't on the forums when I brought it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Jay himself said it wasn't on the forums when I brought it up.

Jay also said he regretted not being harder on Prometheus in retrospect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And in the original review they actually said they liked it. Jay didn't get the hate for it. They might have soured on it since, but that video was not serious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

Jay also said he regretted not being harder on Prometheus in retrospect.

Doesn't change the videos original intentions.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

And in the original review they actually said they liked it. Jay didn't get the hate for it. They might have soured on it since, but that video was not serious.

Do you also think that Scientist Man is just them saying how much they secretly love the new Terminator?

Like, I know the cined running gag is 'everything is an ironic loveletter' but this is taking it a little far, don't you think?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember in the old old old GBS redlettermedia thread, people were insisting that the Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull review was ironic and Mike secretly loves the film and only made that review to "appease the fanbase".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'll always be impressed by Mike's Palpatine impression, especially when it seems like he doesn't have any others.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lurdiak posted:

I remember in the old old old GBS redlettermedia thread, people were insisting that the Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull review was ironic and Mike secretly loves the film and only made that review to "appease the fanbase".

That would almost make sense if the review itself didn't outright say that he liked parts of it but didn't like other parts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I'll always be impressed by Mike's Palpatine impression, especially when it seems like he doesn't have any others.

According to Rich Evans, Mike does a killer Kermit the Frog impression.

Rich was once at a party and trying to talk up a girl, and brought up Mike's excellent Kermit impression, and called him over to show it off.

Mike then deliberately did a terrible impression of Kermit and wandered off.

Steve2911 posted:

That would almost make sense if the review itself didn't outright say that he liked parts of it but didn't like other parts.

People are loving crazy. He has nicer things to say about the film than the Star Wars prequels, but it's really hard to look at that review and think "he loves the film".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Jack and Rich also reviewed Firewatch which if you have played the game you should know Rich's opinion ie being a sourpuss that it isn't a game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbvWoAFsQ8

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rich is right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Do you also think that Scientist Man is just them saying how much they secretly love the new Terminator?

Like, I know the cined running gag is 'everything is an ironic loveletter' but this is taking it a little far, don't you think?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

achillesforever6 posted:

Jack and Rich also reviewed Firewatch which if you have played the game you should know Rich's opinion ie being a sourpuss that it isn't a game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbvWoAFsQ8

If the bolded bit is true then fucks sake I hate that series. I mean I hated it already but gently caress them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Steve2911 posted:

If the bolded bit is true then fucks sake I hate that series. I mean I hated it already but gently caress them.
Jack actually likes it, but then again Jack's problem is he hates open world games where you have to interact with people to understand the world. (See: his stream playthrough of New Vegas)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sU7bsDhgxU

I mean... We already know Mike loved it. So I'm wondering where this'll go.

That was a lot of piss!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Rich repeatedly yells NO GAME and then eventually just leaves.

He is being praised for this in the comments, predictably.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lurdiak posted:

Rich repeatedly yells NO GAME and then eventually just leaves.

He is being praised for this in the comments, predictably.

As much as I love Rich it's really hard not to strongly dislike him whenever he says or thinks anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They can make a video full of dumb nitpicky plinkett-isms and still end up having a positive view of the film, there's plenty of stuff to pick apart in TFW even though I like that movie a lot. It probably won't be as cathartic but I'm sure it'll be funny regardless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

As much as I love Rich it's really hard not to strongly dislike him whenever he says or thinks anything.

His tendency to declare something crap because it has a single element he dislikes is incredibly childish. I chuckled at a comment that said "Rich probably hates it when his food touches."

Hakkesshu posted:

They can make a video full of dumb nitpicky plinkett-isms and still end up having a positive view of the film, there's plenty of stuff to pick apart in TFW even though I like that movie a lot. It probably won't be as cathartic but I'm sure it'll be funny regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHnqv098LY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYfr_9Zpwk

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Steve2911 posted:

That guy has negative opinions about a bad pseudo game, what an rear end in a top hat!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

That guy has negative opinions about a bad pseudo game, what an rear end in a top hat!

He is an rear end in a top hat because of the way he expresses his bad opinion.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Rich is right.

steinrokkan posted:

:same:

Seriously though, I agree with him, the pacing is absolutely, unforgivably terrible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't seen the Firewatch video. I'm just saying in general.

Also Firewatch is neither bad or pseudo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was thinking his Star Trek reviews were less negative overall but it's been so long since I've watched them I couldn't remember

• Locked thread