Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Lazaruise posted:

Keep it, but try and keep the family small, Rasuna knows what its like to live in a huge family on minimal money, she doesn't want that for her family
I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Lazaruise posted:

Keep it, but try and keep the family small, Rasuna knows what its like to live in a huge family on minimal money, she doesn't want that for her family

Yeah let's do this. No need to go over board on the goiter babies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keep the kid but try not to go above 2.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

ButtDoktor posted:

Children are the greatest riches on this Earth! Be fruitful and multiply (max kids).

Subvert corruption by populating the world with kids who have strong morals.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cathode Raymond posted:

I'm usually not the type to engage in victim blaming but if you get beaten with a brick by two separate women, you probably did something to deserve it, or you have a brickable face or something.

Yeah, I was thinking that too, to be honest. Seriously dude, what attracts you to women with bricks? Oh well, it was an interesting character flaw.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Covski posted:

Later that year, Rasuna and Ken-Dedes are married. The ceremony is a modest affair by most accounts, although a large number of friends and family attend. Rasuna is now Mrs. Rasuna Habibie. It is quite literally the happiest day of her life. :unsmith:

*sniff* I promised I wouldn't cry!

Lazaruise posted:

This sounds like our girl.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Keep any pregnancies that naturally happen, but don't actually try for children. She's not the type to have an abortion or abandon a child, but she knows what it's like growing up in a big family, too.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Probably the most depressing game of this I ever had was a nigerian girl who kept being sexually abused by her mother. You can choose to fight back in the event but after the first couple of times got her beaten badly, I just picked the 'don't resist' option. :smith:

She ended up making her fortune in high risk stocks and moving to norway though, so it was a happy ending.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Probably the most depressing game of this I ever had was a nigerian girl who kept being sexually abused by her mother. You can choose to fight back in the event but after the first couple of times got her beaten badly, I just picked the 'don't resist' option. :smith:

She ended up making her fortune in high risk stocks and moving to norway though, so it was a happy ending.

Yeah, I got a German girl one time who started being molested by her mom from the time she was 10, up until she moved out at 17. Then this most recent run, my girl got raped at 11, went on to become a world-class athlete and marry a useless guy (he literally remained unemployed until the day he died) and adopt 2 children because they never had any of their own.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

UrbicaMortis posted:

Jesus I have played this game a lot and never once seen that. :(

I had a good run as a Japanese guy whose six children were all utterly useless except his second daughter Keiko, she was the only one to have a job, a marriage and kids. He died in his eighties raging at how worthless his dumb kids were. One of them was still living with him at the age of fifty-something!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Rasuna Irawan, part seven

Age 26

Rasuna and Ken-Dedes name her Ai.

Unfortunately, tragedy strikes. There complications at birth, and the girl dies shortly afterwards. The young couple is devastated. :smith:

(This appears to be a bug: Occasionally a child is born with 0 health, and will not age. I *think* this is an issue with the child dying at birth, without being properly flagged as such by the game. Either way, they are effectively not counted as alive by the game :()

Even still, life goes on around them.

Age 27

When it rains, it pours. Literally in this case, as a major flood strikes the village. Luckily Rasuna's home avoids the brunt of the damage, though it is a cold comfort.

After rain comes fire, though luckily once again it is nowhere near the village.

Rasuna is pregnant again. The parents are understandably very worried after last year's tragedy.

Luckily the child, another girl who they name Raden, is a healthy little bundle of joy.

Age 28

More sad news, as Rasuna's brother Manusama learns that he has diabetes.

Diabetes is a real killer in this game, in my experience, even in rich countries.

uuuh.

Age 29

Rasuna's youngest brother marries, a much-needed happy occasion in the family. Her parents are now living alone for the first time in many years, but Rasuna is close at hand whenever they need help.

Age 30

Another child is born, Rasuna's first son. She continues the family tradition of naming children after political figures by naming him Sukarno, after Indonesia's first president.

Raden is an energetic three-year-old, always busy exploring the world. Unfortunately, this exploration also entails eating things she shouldn't.

Poor baby Sukarno has measles, and spends a lot of time keeping the little family up at night, crying from the discomfort.

Age 31

Another fire. I'll probably start cutting these out, too.

The family is reasonably healthy, although Sukarno is taking his time shaking off the after effects of the measles. They are also saving up a fair bit of money.

Rasuna's doing about the same as always, although the loss of her first child hit her hard.

Let's talk about emigration! We didn't get to cover this with Yu, but you have the option to emigrate to any other country in the world, for a price. It mostly means being able to take advantage of higher salaries and better government services (unless you move to a poorer country for some reason), and is almost always a good investment if you are born in a poor country.

The cost to emigrate varies mostly based on the GDP of the destination, though distance might also be a factor? For example in Rasuna's case emigrating to the USA would cost 300 million rupiah, while moving to China would cost a mere 47 million. You also have the option to attempt to immigrate illegally for a tenth of the cost though this carries a quite high risk of being caught and returned to your homeland and losing the money. As far as I'm aware there are no other dangers associated with it, though.

Should Rasuna stay in Indonesia or save up enough to emigrate? If you vote to emigrate, feel free to suggest a country and whether or not she should save up the full amount or attempt to enter illegally.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Sorry about the lack of updates, I had a busy weekend followed by work kicking my rear end a bit :)

By the way, remember when I said Rasuna's starting family was one of the biggest ones I've seen? I got this one when I booted up the game to make this update:

:stare:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Emigrate legally to the Netherlands.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Stay and fight the good fight

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ten children feels a bit overkill, especially if you need twice as much money as you make. Good thing it isn't Rasuna's case.

Also it would be very OOC for Rasuna, who has fought tooth and nail for her country's rights, to run away. Of course she's staying.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Rasuna should stay unless/until her parents die.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You know what? gently caress our principles, emigrate to any place with less parasitic worms.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
This is our land, we shall not flee.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We shall not be moved

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stay and join the revolution.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Illegally emigrate to Canada

Out of character? Yes. But goddamnit it's my goal every game I end up in a country with worm problems to illegally emigrate to canada.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Are there any restrictions on the places you can move to? You probably can't decide to spend the rest of your life in the Antarctic, right?

Try to sneak into Australia. I wonder if the game models offshore detainment camps.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

She needs to stay and continue trying to politically reform.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
She's a community-oriented activist, of course she Won't Emigrate

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

A true revolutionary would Stay.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Stay and die from horrible infection fight for political freedom

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Comrade Koba posted:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We can save up enough money to eventually quit our job and dedicate ourselves to activism full time, right?

Let's do that one instead of wasting it on emigrating.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Stand and fight

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
I vote for staying

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
stay

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
We were not deterred by incarceration, we will not turn tail and flee!

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I agree with everyone who says she should stay, unless it gets to the point where she'd be an asylum seeker or fleeing hardcore political persecution. But even then, I think she might stay. (Does the game even have asylum seeking in it?)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
getting caught up but hold on just got to the second life and now i get to post this image

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Video games truly are art.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
"Mentally retarded, goiter" has me absolutely howling.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"Mentally retarded, goiter" has me absolutely howling.

for me it was Net Worth: goiter

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

getting caught up but hold on just got to the second life and now i get to post this image

:golfclap:

This had me laughing way too hard in the office, thank you. (I don't know if it was "monthly goiter: 7270" or "from my goiters I have been gifted with the potential for exceptional goiter" that killed me)

I guess this means I'll have to get the next update out today, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Monthly Expenses: goiter

• Locked thread