Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

No you see the black card is def the bad guy and the white card is def the good guy here

Konda is the good guy because kidnap gods, kidnap masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

Black is in fact, not the color of pure, unadulterated evil.

Conversely, white is not the color of goodness, sunshine, and rainbows.

And yet the moment Avacyn turns evil, she ceases to be white.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Konda is the good guy because kidnap gods, kidnap masters.

I mean to be fair he was just being used by some ~blue~ people.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I generally agree with Maro's color pie philosophy musings, but watching him try to square the circle of black being about selfishness and doing things at any cost but not actually evil is hilarious.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

I generally agree with Maro's color pie philosophy musings, but watching him try to square the circle of black being about selfishness and doing things at any cost but not actually evil is hilarious.

in reaching that conclusion he is in popular company given it is not really too far off the philosophy of most rich people

black as the color of 'have you read atlas shrugged?'

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

They could still be WR and WU and be evil, which I think would be cooler.

They could, but Avacyn is RW now and Bruna has a lot of lightning in her art which is very RU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

whydirt posted:

I started playing kitchen table magic again after many, many years with some officemates. And because I'm a huge goddamn nerd, I started reading about the color pie.

Black really gets the shortend of the stick, philosophically. WORLD DOMINATION silliness.

There's a whole better way to approach it. If green is the color of the strong eating the weak, and white is the color of the community, then black is simply the opposite: its about the weak eating the strong. Its the color for those swept under the rug by the community (beggars, orphans, refugees, etc). Black is the color that wants to flip the world on its head because the white/green world is unjust, and it will sacrifice everything to do it because it has nothing left to lose.

Basically, black is the color of Jesus Christ (and that's not even counting the rising from the dead stuff :v: )

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 9, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

They could, but Avacyn is RW now and Bruna has a lot of lightning in her art which is very RU

In terms of casting costs for building your deck, avacyn is still mono-white.

I'd be unsurprised if we just get another set of four W, RW, UW, GW mythics. With Sorin and Were-walker being the other two multicolor mythics.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And yet the moment Avacyn turns evil, she ceases to be white.
That's because she also went apeshit with murderous fury, which is as red as you can get. See also: indiscriminately throwing lightning bolts everywhere.

Edit: Also you can do good things for selfish reasons, guys. "I'm gonna volunteer with habitat for humanity because it'll look good on my resume!" is a completely black mana reason for doing something that is quite clearly Good.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Count Bleck posted:

Black is in fact, not the color of pure, unadulterated evil.

Conversely, white is not the color of goodness, sunshine, and rainbows.

They forgot to put this on cards, no matter how many times maro says it on his podcast.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

They forgot to put this on cards, no matter how many times maro says it on his podcast.

They got the second half at least, Heliod and Elesh Norn are huge pricks even on cards

see also avacynian missionaries/lunarch inquisitors

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Death Bot posted:

The only white card I ever looked at and thought "oh you're obviously evil" was Elesh Norn. That isn't really that much of a leap mind you, but I thought it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit: Also you can do good things for selfish reasons, guys. "I'm gonna volunteer with habitat for humanity because it'll look good on my resume!" is a completely black mana reason for doing something that is quite clearly Good.

Good name/post combination imo.

"I'm gonna volunteer to cure the people of phthisis because it'll look good on my resume"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Madmarker posted:

I actually think more of the interest is because standard and modern are so astronomically expensive of late that people wanting to play competitively are seeking other means to get that fix.

Pauper too expensive for you to afford? Play the format designed for the poorest of the poor, Bulk (only cards less than $1 are legal)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

Pauper too expensive for you to afford? Play the format designed for the poorest of the poor, Bulk (only cards less than $1 are legal)

Calling it now, Wizards is trying to kill Bulk

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
People always try to come up with formats based on card prices but it's kinda dumb because if one of those formats ever actually got popular, what was legal would change on a daily basis.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've talked about this before but I feel like when you associate mana with emotions and motivations rather than spell effects, it gets weird. Sure, you can assert some demographic trends like 'a person who raises zombies is less likely to be an altruist,' but when you leap from there to asserting, as some people do, that the magic system will throw out a general protection fault if an altruist decides to tap a swamp and raise a dead, it becomes kind of dumb imho

Also, the black hero/white villain example from Kamigawa is good and cool. Same with Theros block, though again I don't think it came through clearly enough in the cards that Heliod was a massive dick and Erebos was... a relatively chill guy given his portfolio and duties, I think?

New Phyrexia is kind of wasted potential. I like that they doubled down on white being the villain, but (if I understand correctly) they pretty much strangled the red Phyrexian subplot in the cradle.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
There have been multiple recent "mtg finance" articles about speculating on pauper and making money on it. That's all.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

People always try to come up with formats based on card prices but it's kinda dumb because if one of those formats ever actually got popular, what was legal would change on a daily basis.

I think my friend only ever played the Standard variant of it (so he could bring jank brews to FNM and feel some bizarre anti-capitalist sense of satisfaction when he beat decks hundreds of times the cost of his), so the legal card pool stayed relatively price invariant between Standard rotations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
From Avacyn's new card, I would have thought the lore reason for her turning murderous was that someone she was trying to protect died, not "thought of hedrons and turned evil".

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Only crabs have the mental fortitude to handle the hedrons.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

From Avacyn's new card, I would have thought the lore reason for her turning murderous was that someone she was trying to protect died, not "thought of hedrons and turned evil".

Yeah, the red was pointing to that, but it kind of makes sense if this is the angelic equivalent of werewolf lunacy. Her reasoning in this uncharted realms screams every other color except red, but whatever is going on with the moon might be flavored to be red in nature.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She's red because she deals damage to things.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I think the thing about the colour pie philosophy is that they represent different things, and differing ideals. We as people decide whether we think they're evil or not. The reason people kinda still think Black doesnt really work for 'good' is that generally people think unbridled selfishness al-la Ayn Rand is kinda bunk. That said that comes from our own biases.

Its like with Maro mentioning that Black is also the colour of capitalism and, if you think capitalism is good that might work for you. Its also the colour of individuality and any philosophy that thinks individualism is okay, but not to an extreme, is going to be able to be okay with it to a degree. If you think capitalism is bad then that argument might not work with that, buuuuut thats not the end all be all of black either so it may be redeemable to you.

Its all about our personal biases; if we fit into a white aligned or green aligned philosophy then ya we're totally gonna see black as poo poo.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It would be a hella cool time to reprint blood moon.

E: get rekt nerd

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 9, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
e: ^^ dammit

GimmickMan posted:

whatever is going on with the moon might be flavored to be red in nature.

:getin:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rimusutera posted:

I think the thing about the colour pie philosophy is that they represent different things, and differing ideals. We as people decide whether we think they're evil or not. The reason people kinda still think Black doesnt really work for 'good' is that generally people think unbridled selfishness al-la Ayn Rand is kinda bunk. That said that comes from our own biases.

Its like with Maro mentioning that Black is also the colour of capitalism and, if you think capitalism is good that might work for you. Its also the colour of individuality and any philosophy that thinks individualism is okay, but not to an extreme, is going to be able to be okay with it to a degree. If you think capitalism is bad then that argument might not work with that, buuuuut thats not the end all be all of black either so it may be redeemable to you.

Its all about our personal biases; if we fit into a white aligned or green aligned philosophy then ya we're totally gonna see black as poo poo.

Red is the color of individuality.

Black is just "the ends justify the means"

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

She's red because she deals damage to things.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

conversely, RW is militant authoritarianism

e: the boros are super fascist

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Oh god Ninth Edition draft on MTGO.

I'm very sure that is an awesome format and not at all horrible and devoid of value outside of Blood Moon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh god Ninth Edition draft on MTGO.

I'm very sure that is an awesome format and not at all horrible and devoid of value outside of Blood Moon.

Um Worship??????

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Um Worship??????

Next week is Triple Ravnica which actually is devoid of value also, but actually fun. Amusingly enough, the most valuable set of the scheduled flashbacks is Triple Coldsnap. The single pack of Future Sight in full block Time Spiral is decent value too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
p sure the pick order is something like

1. anaba shaman
2. kill yourself

I mean the commons are still better than AVR or DGM levels at least.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Bread Set Jettison posted:

They both are, actually. Red is about your personal passions, black and about rationalized self interest. Its why they can get along.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 9, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fiend Computer posted:

The only white card I ever looked at and thought "oh you're obviously evil" was Elesh Norn. That isn't really that much of a leap mind you, but I thought it.

General Varchild from Ice Age is also very clearly a militant nationalist from flavor texts. Lieutenant Kirtar in Odyssey was also a villain but I don't think that comes through at all.

I think white might actually the second or third most common for villains. Of course, they're still having problems with the whole "black hero" thing.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 9, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GimmickMan posted:

Yeah, the red was pointing to that, but it kind of makes sense if this is the angelic equivalent of werewolf lunacy. Her reasoning in this uncharted realms screams every other color except red, but whatever is going on with the moon might be flavored to be red in nature.

Isn't Emrakul's only card in BFZ block a red creature? :tinfoil:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Isn't Emrakul's only card in BFZ block a red creature? :tinfoil:

No.

It's colorless :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

General Varchild from Ice Age is also very clearly a militant nationalist from flavor texts. Lieutenant Kirtar in Odyssey was also a villain but I don't think that comes through at all.

I think white might actually the second or third most common for villains. Of course, they're still having problems with the whole "black hero" thing.

Maralen is probably the most heroic mono-B character I can think of after Umezawa actually

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 10, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Maralen is probably the most heroic mono-B character I can think of actually

I always forget about that because I know almost nothing the Lorwyn story except that Oona is the antagonist and Colfenor had some weird plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

Of course, they're still having problems with the whole "black hero" thing.

A problem shared by popular media :v:

• Locked thread