Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I recently picked up a Hori Fight Pad Commander 4 in preparation to play SFV. I've tested it out a bit on USFIV, but I'm having significant trouble getting a fireball motion to work when I'm facing right. It seems like a dragon punch is actually easier, it always misses the diagonal input on a simple fireball. I can still do them consistently when facing left, though. Is there a significant "break-in" period on the directional pad?

I saw there was a sensitivity knob on the back, I tried pushing it all the way to S, but it still has trouble picking up the down/right diagonal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Partial Octopus posted:

Does anyone know any meaty setups for nash?

I don't know about Nash specifically but with 3 different wake up timings, all different frames and the backroll moving you, it's hard to get a good meaty setup. If they backroll your quick rise setup, you could end up eating a crush counter combo.

I'm not sure how much I like the 3 different timings, I feel like having just one wake up timing allows you to memorize that specific timing and run a more dynamic offense. As it is now, it'll probably just be canned setups like "off of knockdown from move A, whiff jab then press button X, if they backroll press Y, if they slow rise press Z, etc".
I would much rather be able to choose meaty moves on the fly and know they're properly meaty because I have the singular wakeup timing down.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Dictator is loving retarded in this game

I feel like he doesn't really respond well to pressure, especially if you get him in the corner. Maybe Ken is just good against him. I tend to just LK tatsu whenever I think he will scissor kick or slide, it tends to tag it. TK EX air tatsu is another great way to get in on him(and anyone else) from a weird angle.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It feels like I'm fighting nothing but Kens. Kens everywhere.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Renoistic posted:

It feels like I'm fighting nothing but Kens. Kens everywhere.

I feel like the Kens come in waves. I have days where I fight like 6-8 kens in a row before a Mika shows up and I'm like, "wow that's like a unicorn". I almost never see other Karins, except in Casual mataches, which I'm not sure if I should take as an omen or not :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nash can get a meaty moonsault off of an anti-air c.mp

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

We get it. Thanks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Night Blade posted:

We get it. Thanks.

Fereydun posted:

bring on the bebop kumite for posting rights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYgQR5PEzA&t=297s

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Okita posted:

I feel like he doesn't really respond well to pressure, especially if you get him in the corner. Maybe Ken is just good against him. I tend to just LK tatsu whenever I think he will scissor kick or slide, it tends to tag it. TK EX air tatsu is another great way to get in on him(and anyone else) from a weird angle.

Yeah his only reversal is CA so you don't really have to respect him on wakeup and can pressure hard. He also has the slowest walk speed, no 3 frame moves, no overhead, no command throw, and bad damage off a low...

I mean obviously he's got some real good poo poo going for him too and is a great character overall but I'm surprised people complain about him so often instead of say Chun, he has such glaring weaknesses to balance out his strengths.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

If only there was a thread for Guilty Gear. :(

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Dont have a cow man

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Dont have a cow man

I agree, it's an unhealthy obsession to fixate on something you don't like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Don't worry bhsman, once Revelator comes up for preorder on the PS store Bebop will slither away into that dark corner of the forums and plague you no more

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

AnonSpore posted:

Don't worry bhsman, once Revelator comes up for preorder on the PS store Bebop will slither away into that dark corner of the forums and plague you no more

Is this your way of telling me you bought me a PS4.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Is this your way of telling me you bought me a PS4.

I saw into the future and bought a PS4 in preparation for the sequel to Sign way back in 2014, bruv

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

bhsman posted:

I agree, it's an unhealthy obsession to fixate on something you don't like.

The fighting game threads on SA have been nerds fixating on things they don't like for as long as I can remember

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

threads on SA have been nerds fixating on things they don't like for as long as I can remember

fixed

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

lol true

Also, like it or not, Capcom kind of totally dominates competitive fighting games in the west. Street Fighter is top dog primarily from brand name recognition. It's kind of like the World of Warcraft or Call of Duty of fighting games. SFxT crashed and burned, but it was really, really terrible at launch and was running alongside SSF4 and Marvel 3. Its biggest competitors right now are probably KI and MKX. I'm not counting Smash as Smash players and the FGC as a whole don't intersect that much.

Like I kinda feel bad for games that aren't already established, because unless you have Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Guilty Gear or even BlazBlue on the box, a new game is going to get played for a month then forgotten about. Killer Instinct is doing all right, but again, it's an established brand.

I guess I'm somewhat fortunate that Street Fighter has always been my favorite fighting game series and tend to gravitate towards Street Fighter and SNK games and never really got deep into 3D fighters or anime fighters because I'd be really frustrated too.

Also for what its worth, I feel like SF5 is better than SF4 because it removes some lovely mechanics like FADCs. My biggest beef with the game is that the frame data and hitboxes are just... questionable. poo poo that looks like it should be unsafe isn't and visa versa. It's not very intuitive. Granted, you can deal with that by familiarizing yourself with the frame data, it just feels kinda weird at times.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I like stuffing nash players attempts at wakeup v-trigger when they're in the corner, or just pressing cr.hp because they always just teleport in the air.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I like stuffing nash players attempts at wakeup v-trigger when they're in the corner, or just pressing cr.hp because they always just teleport in the air.
my favorite is playing against a bad claw who supers on wakeup. as a laura player who gets stuffed out of ex elbow every now and then, seeing someone wake up, get crush countered, and go from a full bar to empty is real pleasing.

i am really enjoying necalli. c.mp i love you

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The worst thing about lobbies is when some no-name guy comes in with a 2-bar connection, instantly uses the "Let's have a great match!" line and never leaves. You can't kick them because of the no-name bug and the only time I can host a lobby is when someone else leaves theirs.

Why do these people not understand basic latency.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The worst thing about lobbies is when some no-name guy comes in with a 2-bar connection, instantly uses the "Let's have a great match!" line and never leaves. You can't kick them because of the no-name bug and the only time I can host a lobby is when someone else leaves theirs.

Why do these people not understand basic latency.

Welcome to online matchmaking

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wonder if I should just suck the fact that I don't like charge motions and try Chun-Li so I can play someone with long-ranged normals.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

I wonder if I should just suck the fact that I don't like charge motions and try Chun-Li so I can play someone with long-ranged normals.

Charge is good but you dont actually need them that often to play her because legs isnt that much worse than sbk in combo

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
SFV Chun is my first time with a charge character. I like it!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Charge is good but you dont actually need them that often to play her because legs isnt that much worse than sbk in combo

I just constantly gently caress up my charge timing without looking at the timer, and when I make sure I hold back for long enough, it always feels like I'm charging for too long. I also play against a bunch of Ryus and Nashes who love fireball spam, and having to wait for a second every time I want to throw a fireball worries me slightly. I like her normals a lot, though - kind of nuts that you can trivially cancel cMK into HHyaku given the range on cMK.

She can't wakeup SBK while quick rising, right?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

NofrikinfuN posted:

I recently picked up a Hori Fight Pad Commander 4 in preparation to play SFV. I've tested it out a bit on USFIV, but I'm having significant trouble getting a fireball motion to work when I'm facing right. It seems like a dragon punch is actually easier, it always misses the diagonal input on a simple fireball. I can still do them consistently when facing left, though. Is there a significant "break-in" period on the directional pad?

I saw there was a sensitivity knob on the back, I tried pushing it all the way to S, but it still has trouble picking up the down/right diagonal.

I wouldnt even bother trying to compare sf4 to sfv in terms of ease of button input. If you can try it on SFV thats the only real way to know for sure. For example I can do advanced combos on a 360 controller with the stick in SFV.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon-Lime posted:

I just constantly gently caress up my charge timing without looking at the timer, and when I make sure I hold back for long enough, it always feels like I'm charging for too long. I also play against a bunch of Ryus and Nashes who love fireball spam, and having to wait for a second every time I want to throw a fireball worries me slightly. I like her normals a lot, though - kind of nuts that you can trivially cancel cMK into HHyaku given the range on cMK.

She can't wakeup SBK while quick rising, right?

you can if you starting holding downback before you got knocked down, which you should be doing. charge timing is just a matter of playing a lot. eventually it just becomes second nature, and you adapt pretty quickly to different games and characters with different charge times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pomp posted:

you can if you starting holding downback before you got knocked down, which you should be doing. charge timing is just a matter of playing a lot. eventually it just becomes second nature, and you adapt pretty quickly to different games and characters with different charge times.

So basically, never ever let go of downback? :v:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Lemon-Lime posted:

Welcome to charge characters.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon-Lime posted:

it's less important with chun because she's doesn't have a great fireball game anyway and sbk doesn't have much any outside of combos. You aren't st guile, you will have to play traditional footsies, but yeah try to hold charge anytime you can.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll see how reliably I can do her B&B combos when I next have some time to do practice mode.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Vega, Sim, and Birdie all have pretty long normals too

e: relative to the rest of the SFV cast, calm down

Pomp posted:

it's less important with chun because she's doesn't have a great fireball game anyway and sbk doesn't have much any outside of combos. You aren't st guile, you will have to play traditional footsies, but yeah try to hold charge anytime you can.

It seems like the top chun players use her fireball a lot, even in footsies. There is that crouching block string that they end with HP kikoken.

Like these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwU-cdaftQ

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 10, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Out of all the things chun li is, i'd never list her on the fun to play as side.

She's about as fun to play as as vega in this game,(and I'd say vegas pretty eh in this game fun wise, but good) kinda one trick. And if 'fun' is winning theres no need to use 2 axis

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I hope johnny is toned down just a touch before revalator on console, if he's as retarded as I've heard.

Retarded good sword characters make it so that you fight 90% them online. (well gordeau doesn't have a sword, so edgy trench coats too, edgy trench coat and sword? jeez)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Cool, thanks. Guess I'll see how reliably I can do her B&B combos when I next have some time to do practice mode.

One thing you should definitely practice with Chun is crMK canceled into HP fireball. It's a great defensive sequence after you've been forced to block something. It pushes the opponent away from you and back into Chun's optimal range. Do it whenever someone tries to rush you down and you have a gap between their attacks. It's safe on block (mostly) and the HP fireball sometimes smacks an over-aggressive opponent in the face.

Edit: Also, like the video above demonstrates, it's a good finisher to your own blockstrings.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 10, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Vega, Sim, and Birdie all have pretty long normals too

e: relative to the rest of the SFV cast, calm down

It seems like the top chun players use her fireball a lot, even in footsies. There is that crouching block string that they end with HP kikoken.

Like these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwU-cdaftQ

You can usually end a blockstring in fireball with a raw charge, and you should because HP is really safe. You just don't want to hang back and try to turtle with it when half the cast can easily blow you up for it and a lot of the rest don't care about fireballs anyway.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

deadly_pudding posted:

I feel like the Kens come in waves. I have days where I fight like 6-8 kens in a row before a Mika shows up and I'm like, "wow that's like a unicorn". I almost never see other Karins, except in Casual mataches, which I'm not sure if I should take as an omen or not :v:

down here in scrubsville there's nothing but Karins, Mikas and Dictators

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, for Fang yeah.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

down here in scrubsville there's nothing but Karins, Mikas and Dictators
some motherfuckers just wanna push buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I have fun playing Vega, maybe I'm a dunce.