Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pksage posted:

Last time I posted anything I was dumb and didn't rehost to waffleimagesimgur, but here's our chinchilla copier running out of toner:

That is the biggest and fluffiest Chinchilla I've ever seen :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, in that video two people are holding it down and the licensed vet is the one doing the clipping and the pig is still resisting all it can. Imagine doing that alone. :v:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Blacknose posted:

Carrots are pretty good.

Happy ham!!!

republicant posted:

Someone had a long day.

Happy piggles!!!! I dunno about clipping pigs teeth specifically but like most animals if he's eating fine it's safe to assume his teeth are fine. Watch his weight and give him more things to nibble. Does he like willow sticks? It's better to be too concerned than not concerned enough tho!!

pksage posted:

Last time I posted anything I was dumb and didn't rehost to waffleimagesimgur, but here's our chinchilla copier running out of toner:

This is beautiful.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really need to get a picture of one of our mosaic chins using her babies as pillows. The problem has always been that she wakes up as soon as I try to open the cage doors, and I can't get a good one through the bars. Every baby, once it gets to a good enough size, starts to become her pillow until it is old enough for a new home. It is adorable.

I think if I had a chinchilla baby I would also try and use it as a pillow, that sounds amazing :kimchi:

More pictures of my two because I'm a horrible hammy spammer

He got that out of the shell all by his tiny wee self!! :3:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Whenever we give Ratta a whole peanut he disappears into his house with it, then after 5 minutes of crunching noises and the house wobbling he emerges with the empty shell to chuck it on his rubbish heap. It's hilarious.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Ratta is a good tidy ham :3: Cc got one yesterday and left the shell in under the wardrobe where I can't reach it :mad:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

teenytinymouse posted:

I think if I had a chinchilla baby I would also try and use it as a pillow, that sounds amazing :kimchi:

Yeah, I've always been kind of jealous of her because having a chinchilla pillow would probably be the most comfortable thing in the world, like nothing would even compare.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Now I'm sad my chinchilla is a crotchety old man who refuses to share his cage. My chinchillas live separate but equal lives and I am deprived of witnessing chin cuddles.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is the biggest and fluffiest Chinchilla I've ever seen :eyepop:

He's a big boy :kimchi: And the mosaic on the left is only 4 months old!

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
How do you guys with multiple guinea pigs or other poop machines handle the poop cleanup? I want to get a third guinea pig in a few weeks once I've started a new job but the quantity of poop is kind of daunting. I'm thinking about getting a handheld vacuum dedicated to pig poop but I don't know if it would get clogged easily or anything like that.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

republicant posted:

How do you guys with multiple guinea pigs or other poop machines handle the poop cleanup? I want to get a third guinea pig in a few weeks once I've started a new job but the quantity of poop is kind of daunting. I'm thinking about getting a handheld vacuum dedicated to pig poop but I don't know if it would get clogged easily or anything like that.

a smallish dustpan and brush works pretty well if you're on fleece/towel, doesn't need recharging or get clogged, and empties a lot more easily than any vacuum I've ever met :D

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I use this cheap as poo poo dust buster daily. I have the little stand on the wall next to the cage so I just automatically charge it after use. Sometimes I have to empty it once during cage cleaning because the entry gets jammed up but it's easy to do and it doesn't bother me. I use a dustpan and little brush when I do full cage cleans but I find the dust buster gets poo off the bedding easier for me. The only issue is that it struggles with long stems of hay sometimes. I just grab those by hand before cleaning now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had a cordless hand vac for a while but the batteries eventually die, so I've been using this guy successfully for over a year now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002D47XOM/ I have had to buy some new filters for it but I think that cost me about $6. It doesn't do hay well but that's why I've got a hay box with some paper bedding inside that I dump out 2x a week, keeps the hay contained and off the fleece.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Looks like a vacuum and a little brush/dustpan set are going on my shopping list. I knew there had to be an easier way but with only one pig it was always easy enough to just keep a box of gloves next to the cage and pick it up by hand. This changes everything, I can't wait.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
FYI pigs don't really care if they have poos lying around (they even eat them!). We have 4 of our own in one C&C and 4 more in another, use fleece + moving blankets for bedding, and a litter box full of carefresh under the hay rack (because that is where they pee the most). All we do is change and clean the whole thing every thing 1-2 times a week.

Some people like to be daily neat freaks but it really isn't necessary with the right setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pksage posted:

He's a big boy :kimchi: And the mosaic on the left is only 4 months old!

I'm afraid I need further proof in image form to prove he's a big floofy fuzzlebutt :colbert:.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm afraid I need further proof in image form to prove he's a big floofy fuzzlebutt :colbert:.

Some of these are potato quality because it's hard to focus a phone camera through cage bars, but:

(^ filling an entire large PVC tube)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel sorry for his smaller buddies if he always sleeps on them like that, I didn't think Chinchillas got that big :magical:. How old is he?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

teenytinymouse posted:

More pictures of my two because I'm a horrible hammy spammer

He got that out of the shell all by his tiny wee self!! :3:

Aww, Poe looks so content with his peanut :3:

He's just so fluffy :kimchi:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I wanna snuggle that Chin so bad. :3:

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
Today I was at a pet store to get a couple of fish and they had a momma hamster with 6 babies. Of course I fell in love and only 4 of them were reserved already so looks like I will be getting a tiny little hamster next week as they couldn't go without mom just yet. I am beyond excited and this way the cage I had won't be sitting there collecting dust.

I do have a question though as I never had a hamster this young. Is there anything special I should get for him/her? Just want to make sure I have a happy healthy little hamham.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Uuuummmm keep them on the diet they're used to until they get a bit older I think is the only real baby advice I know of, just after weaning is when they're most at risk of wet tail (google symptoms so you know what to look for) so keeping their diets consistent will lessen that risk. You can start introducing fresh food or new things when they're a bit older. It can be stress related too but moving to a new home is always gonna be stressful, some people advise leaving them to themselves for a few days to get settled before you start interacting, some people say get them used to you asap, I guess which way is best depends on how confident and used to people they are already.

I'll be honest though I've not had a baby ham in years, I'm a bit jelly. Post all the pics.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel sorry for his smaller buddies if he always sleeps on them like that, I didn't think Chinchillas got that big :magical:. How old is he?

He's a little over 2 years. He's the gentlest chin I've ever met, though, so crushing isn't a problem; he loves everyone and everything and is never skittish or angry and :kimchi:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Speaking of poops and piggies help me out a bit.

I have two guineas in a hand made C&C cage with the home depot plastic as the floor and edges.

On top of that I have a layer of towels and then one fleece over that and then another fleece on top of that. I tuck that top fleece over the edges of the plastic and pin it in place.

I vacuum poop every single day at night usually before bed and pull everything out of the cage and wash them once a week.

However I've noticed lately the smell is getting worse after only a few days. Would it possibly be as simple as adding more towels to the bottom? It smells like poop but maybe it's just the urine I'm smelling and I'm not sure.

Also they shed. Oh my god they shed so much all the time. My poor washer and dryer are covered in the hairs after I wash the bedding.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have two guineas in a hand made C&C cage with the home depot plastic as the floor and edges.

On top of that I have a layer of towels and then one fleece over that and then another fleece on top of that. I tuck that top fleece over the edges of the plastic and pin it in place.

I vacuum poop every single day at night usually before bed and pull everything out of the cage and wash them once a week.

However I've noticed lately the smell is getting worse after only a few days. Would it possibly be as simple as adding more towels to the bottom? It smells like poop but maybe it's just the urine I'm smelling and I'm not sure.

Also they shed. Oh my god they shed so much all the time. My poor washer and dryer are covered in the hairs after I wash the bedding.

The only recommendation I can make is to make sure you are putting vinegar in the washing machine when you wash it, if you aren't already doing that. Will break down a lot of the smell that is getting ingrained into the towels and fleece.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have almost the exact same setup as you, two pigs, C&C cage, fleece etc, but instead of towels I have two layers of washable dog training mats + washable dog kennel liners and there's no noticeable smell. The mats are designed to wick urine in and hold it inside so they may hide odors better than towels do.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Both of my pigs apparently love the taste of cherry-flavored Bactrim. I was expecting to have to fight them to give them their medicine but nope, they bite the syringe and just can't get enough of it. Weird.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Not my pigs but I wanted to share this extremely adorable video of pigs thinking the floor is lava whilst playing follow the leader because it's the only thing that's making today ok. I had a discussion with a few people on working out why the pigs don't want to walk on the floor - I know our pigglies didn't like wooden floors because they had no traction, but is there any other reason (maybe it's cold on their toes?)

also...pig painkillers come in not-disgusting flavour? I have to hold their heads and just squirt it into them and they really don't like me for it...

Damnit Dio, stop looking like you're dying :( (no change in tumour but he's starting to lose more weight and not eating as much. no visible sign of infection, just very old pig with a tumour :()

vvv what a good ham owner you are, I hope he doesn't deteriorate any time soon and treatment continues to give him a good quality of life.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 17, 2016

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I just wanted to reply (very late I know) to all the kind posts in reply about my hamster Jack. I took him to the vets and kept on with previous treatments of antibiotics and scrub on the infection. I had to take him to the vets again as in the period of a week he developed a growth on his scent gland. I gave him a break of a week as things were settling down and the redness was gone.

Took him to the vets again but it's not severe enough that he needs to be put down. He has actually perked up again, is more active and is actually eating again. I'm back to doing the scrub every other day and have given him another course of antibiotics. I have decided as long as it doesn't overly distress him and he has a good quality of life I will continue treatment. He always licks me and has a cuddle after he has to take his medicine so he can't be that pissed off with me. :3:

But yeah I just wanted to say thank you for the kind posts and support. He's a very much loved pet so I'm really happy he's hanging in there.

Serenity Dove fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 18, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Serenity Dove posted:

I just wanted to reply (very late I know) to all the kind posts in reply about my hamster Jack. I took him to the vets and kept on with previous treatments of antibiotics and scrub on the infection. I had to take him to the vets again as in the period of a week he developed a growth on his scent gland. I gave him a break of a week as things were settling down and the redness was gone.

Took him to the vets again but it's not severe enough that he needs to be put down. He has actually perked up again, is more active and is actually eating again. I'm back to doing the scrub every other day and have given him another course of antibiotics. I have decided as long as it doesn't overly distress him and he has a good quality of life I will continue treatment. He always licks me and has a cuddle after he has to take his medicine so he can't be that pissed off with me. :3:

But yeah I just wanted to say thank you for the kind posts and support. He's a very much loved pet so I'm really happy he's hanging in there.

Good job Jack!! :kimchi: you just keep on hammying along little man! (You need a .jpg after your imgur link there btw)

Guess who likes those little dried apple treats with the thyme on them (me, I tried them and they're delicious)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Our Ebony/white mosaic chinchilla finished her latest cloning experiment yesterday! I'm going to get some pictures tonight, didn't have time last night, but almost every baby she has had with her tan boyfriend has been a female with the exact same markings she has. Its really kind of bizarre. She also always has had exactly 1 baby per litter. Went to fill their food dish last night and give them treats and noticed something white moving around in the house. Sure enough it was a miniature version of her mom!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Guinea pig squeaking hell of a lot, I think she's bored. I play with her when I can but her favorite game is OH poo poo THE HAND RUN HIDE and my cage is in an odd position where she can totally get in an area I can't reach without disassembling the wall of the cage.

I've never known if there were like...guinea pig toys? That tunnel looks pretty good. Will ferret toys sort of work?

e: Also, I know another pig would be the most ideal toy, but I just can't do another one. She's getting on in years and then I'll be stuck with a much younger pig who will then again need a pal.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Guinea pig squeaking hell of a lot, I think she's bored. I play with her when I can but her favorite game is OH poo poo THE HAND RUN HIDE and my cage is in an odd position where she can totally get in an area I can't reach without disassembling the wall of the cage.

I've never known if there were like...guinea pig toys? That tunnel looks pretty good. Will ferret toys sort of work?

e: Also, I know another pig would be the most ideal toy, but I just can't do another one. She's getting on in years and then I'll be stuck with a much younger pig who will then again need a pal.

That is the cycle of pigs. You will get your first one a companion(which she really does need, guinea pigs are very social and human interaction isn't the same), and then at some point your first one will cross the rainbow bridge, and then you get your second one a companion. It is the circle of life of guinea pig owners.

That said, some guinea pigs do like toys, things like tunnels and things they can roll around their cages can work well. They are built like bricks so they can't do a lot that requires much dexterity.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Khisanth Magus posted:

That is the cycle of pigs. You will get your first one a companion(which she really does need, guinea pigs are very social and human interaction isn't the same), and then at some point your first one will cross the rainbow bridge, and then you get your second one a companion. It is the circle of life of guinea pig owners.

That said, some guinea pigs do like toys, things like tunnels and things they can roll around their cages can work well. They are built like bricks so they can't do a lot that requires much dexterity.

The problem is I can't keep pigging. I just can't devote the time as much as I need to to play with them and care for them. I play with her a bunch and give her vegetables and clean her cage and everything but once she is gone I'm pretty much done, at least for a long while. Poor piggys.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The problem is I can't keep pigging. I just can't devote the time as much as I need to to play with them and care for them. I play with her a bunch and give her vegetables and clean her cage and everything but once she is gone I'm pretty much done, at least for a long while. Poor piggys.

we're in the same boat, one pig because his 'brother' died, but we have a dog and are not looking to cycle pigs forever :( I don't suppose you're anywhere in north east england and we could put them together or something :D (though mine's a boar and not castrated. Hmm.)

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
As far as toys go, I have two of those crinkly ferret tunnels and my pigs love running through them and napping in them. The tunnels need wiped out with a paper towel once a day or so, but they're the only toy the pigs will use regularly.

There's finally a guinea pig available for adoption at my local humane society, but it's a female. A gorgeous black and white female that I would really love to take home, and I hate to admit to myself that it's not feasible. I don't have room to set up a whole new cage so they'd have to be housed together. Spaying is too risky so I'd have to get the boys neutered, and then I'd have two vulnerable boars with wounds and potential infections, and I don't think there are even any vets around here who are experienced with the surgeries. I know I won't be able to save every pig, but she is gorgeous and I hope she goes to a good home.

minema
May 31, 2011

Kluliss posted:

we're in the same boat, one pig because his 'brother' died, but we have a dog and are not looking to cycle pigs forever :( I don't suppose you're anywhere in north east england and we could put them together or something :D (though mine's a boar and not castrated. Hmm.)

We have also just lost a guinea pig and have his brother on his own, our problem is that we don't know how old he is so we don't know how long he might have left!

minema fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 19, 2016

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

We got our new baby today!

We think it's a boy. His name is Fab because he's FABULOUS. He's tiny and sweet and currently very busy trying to stay awake to make himself a little home.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Awwwwwwww, he's like a lint ball with ears! :3:

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

He's ridiculously cute. I'm pretty much sitting here going 'awww' with every move he makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

how is he so smaaaaaalllll :supaburn: