Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

ParanoidInc posted:

I just hope deadspin survives tbh

I want deadspin dead most of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
PFTcommenter has left deadspin so I'm cool with them going away

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Hulkster is going to brutally bankrupt Gawker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dutchy posted:

I want deadspin dead most of all

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I hope all of Gawker dies except Kotaku, which has some very good people working there

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
yall are a bunch of dweebs if you don't want deadspin to exist

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

they suck and drew magary is too good for that shithole

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Gawker is trash and it's real funny that the same people who defend them on free speech grounds generally want to eliminate any speech that might hurt someone's feelings

I don't really see how it's hard to draw a line between 'it is completely legal for Gawker to talk about Hulk Hogan's penis and discuss the existence of his sex tape' and 'it's not legal for Gawker to place the sex tape online for viewing'

It's especially obvious given that the Hulkster dropped the big leg on them by pointing out how they refused to publish all of the celebrity nude pics from that hack earlier for basically those exact same reasons but now are turning around and saying this is different even though if anything it's actually worse.

Gawker's argument is basically that since Hulk Hogan is big and stupid and people like laughing at him it's OK to do this as opposed to a real celebrity people like when it would be gross and wrong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It sucks rear end.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Gawker is trash and it's real funny that the same people who defend them on free speech grounds generally want to eliminate any speech that might hurt someone's feelings

I don't really see how it's hard to draw a line between 'it is completely legal for Gawker to talk about Hulk Hogan's penis and discuss the existence of his sex tape' and 'it's not legal for Gawker to place the sex tape online for viewing'

It's especially obvious given that the Hulkster dropped the big leg on them by pointing out how they refused to publish all of the celebrity nude pics from that hack earlier for basically those exact same reasons but now are turning around and saying this is different even though if anything it's actually worse.

Gawker's argument is basically that since Hulk Hogan is big and stupid and people like laughing at him it's OK to do this as opposed to a real celebrity people like when it would be gross and wrong.

wasnt that two seperate regimes tho?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

a retard posted:

Alain Post posted:

It sucks rear end.

magary's the worst part of the site nowadays. he's been doing the same shtick for years.

if you can't recognize how good some of their investigative/media journalism is (see how they lit up sbnation for the editorial breakdown they had over the holtzclaw longread); then keep on loving that chicken.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 10, 2016

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

fuckin sjws and poo poo am i right?

You suck

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a retard posted:

perhaps maddox is a bit more your speed

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Hulk Hogan is big and stupid and people like laughing at him it's OK to do this as opposed to a real celebrity people like when it would be gross and wrong.

Agreed

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

perhaps maddox is a bit more your speed

last i checked maddox didn't write regular articles for gq and poo poo so nah

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

a retard posted:

last i checked maddox didn't write regular articles for gq and poo poo so nah

i'll agree with you on his gq profiles but the mailbag/football picks are absolute poo poo and stopped being funny years ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you like gossipy trash just say you like it, don't pretend it's in the public interest lol

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Alain Post posted:

if you like gossipy trash just say you like it, don't pretend it's in the public interest lol

keep on loving that chicken because media/sports criticism is totally gossipy trash.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

keep on loving that chicken, brother

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Journalism is good

Posting a sex tape, even of an rear end in a top hat, without permission from anyone but Guy Who Filmed It, is not

Don't act like all Gawker has ever done is journalism and that they're the True Victims. This is just the most highly publicized incident

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chris James 2 posted:

Journalism is good

Posting a sex tape, even of an rear end in a top hat, without permission from anyone but Guy Who Filmed It, is not

Don't act like all Gawker has ever done is journalism and that they're the True Victims. This is just the most highly publicized incident

remember when they outed a conde nast exec like, last year

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Chris James 2 posted:

Journalism is good

did i ever absolve them with what i said? no, i didn't.

all i pointed out was that eliminating gawker media/deadspin would eliminate their v v good media/sports journalism (although some of it might be gone anyways with greg howard going to nyt). very few other outlets have been as willing to challenge espn as they are and that's a huge loss in sports media if gawker media has to fold up if they lose the lawsuit. they post repugnant poo poo just as much as the mothership (thanks aj daulerio!), but acting like they don't have any value outside of drew magary's dick jokes and being a fat dad is completely delusional.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 10, 2016

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Alain Post posted:

remember when they outed a conde nast exec like, last year

coincidentally that happened during one of their phases where every other article was making GBS threads on reddit. (conde nast owns reddit)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
anyways i just noticed there is actual gawker/hulk thread so i'm going stop my side of derailing the podcast/newsletter thread.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

its ok, hulkamania is runnin wild

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I know this isn't exactly on topic but if I never hear FRB on the Chaelcast again it'll be too got dang soon.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

anyways i just noticed there is actual gawker/hulk thread so i'm going stop my side of derailing the podcast/newsletter thread.

I'm guessing the newsletter isn't up yet because Meltz is meticulously going through the trial

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Adam and Mike from Big Audio Nightmare have never met in person in the entire time they've been doing their show :stare:

Also the last couple of Dragon King Dark shows have really been good (contrarianism and his "state of the nation" episode about what he wants to do with the show) and I recommend people listen to them.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Regardless of who wins this trial the whole drat thing is a treasure and we all know it.

BV&C has an...interesting story at the beginning. May be worth a listen if you're interested in hearing about awful white trash be awful white trash.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just sounded like really drunk ppl to me

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Most really drunk people I know wouldn't nearly kill a man over a commemorative John Wayne plate but that's just me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sounds like you're not getting your friends drunk enough

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

Most really drunk people I know wouldn't nearly kill a man over a commemorative John Wayne plate but that's just me.

The South is bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Southern indies are good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Lady posted:

Regardless of who wins this trial the whole drat thing is a treasure and we all know it.

BV&C has an...interesting story at the beginning. May be worth a listen if you're interested in hearing about awful white trash be awful white trash.

Is it craig talking about himself?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats this have to do with the south

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Electric Lady posted:

By nearly kill we mean allow to walk out of your house and get into a car while apologizing and telling them to come back. Same thing really.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
have to imagine between the trial and the deaths of hayabusa and lord blears that this is going to be one of those late issues.

or he'll say he's going to cover one of the bios later and never does it before

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Dr. Lariat posted:

By nearly kill we mean allow to walk out of your house and get into a car while apologizing and telling them to come back. Same thing really.

After the guy's partner talked him down from nearly killing the man over a loving John Wayne plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

Electric Lady posted:

After the guy's partner talked him down from nearly killing the man over a loving John Wayne plate

it wasnt over the john wayne plate. the dude thought big wood was insulting his sister and tackled him. why am i paying so much attention to washington's finest?

• Locked thread