Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Breath of Fire 3 good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Finally saw a Vita in the wild today... held by a ten year old kid. I think he had Need for Speed on it.
that was a mirror, op

edit: lol looked at the regdate

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

that was a mirror, op

edit: lol looked at the regdate
Born with a silver shitpost in my hand

I wouldn't expect you to remember I'm a second class citizen with a PSTV instead though :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Really Pants posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good JRPG. Go for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Does the add-on content for Soul Sacrifice carry over into Delta if it's installed or does the game come with it by default?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Does the add-on content for Soul Sacrifice carry over into Delta if it's installed or does the game come with it by default?

delta is the complete package afaik

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Really Pants posted:

Yes. IV loving blows though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So uh a month after the Summon Night 6 English translation mistake, it's back (in official Sony trophy data form)

http://www.exophase.com/game/summon-night6-lostborders-psn/trophies/

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

Is summon Night 5 any good? I've been back and forth on weather i should get it or not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

RanKizama posted:

Sorry but IV blows III away.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
3 has an amazing fishing game, my mother became addicted to it and I never finished the real game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RanKizama posted:

IV is amazing, even if the dragon system isn't quite as good as III.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Got the true ending to Lost Dimension and it was a good time. I mean, at that point, I could break the game over my knee, but so could anyone else who paid attention to how the game works. The story was fine enough and I liked the characters.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Renoistic posted:

Sorry but IV blows III away.
I'll agree to disagree. IV just could not hold me at all.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

RanKizama posted:

I'll agree to disagree. IV just could not hold me at all.

I won't fight your opinion, but as a game IV is good, even if it couldn't hold your interest. You may dislike it, but it in no way "blows", unless you mean "blow lesser games out of the water".

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Szurumbur posted:

I won't fight your opinion, but as a game IV is good, even if it couldn't hold your interest. You may dislike it, but it in no way "blows", unless you mean "blow lesser games out of the water".
I would say that it blows compared to III, but this is like arguing what Final Fantasy games are good and bad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Every Final Fantasy is the worst one.

Also, Dragon Quarter is objectively bad as a game, despite having some very neat and sometimes even interesting mechanics, and Breath of Fire 6... well...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takoluka posted:

Also, Dragon Quarter is objectively bad as a game,

Actually it owns and has one of the best soundtracks on PS2

Like on top of being a cool game

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Every Final Fantasy is the worst one.

Also, Dragon Quarter is objectively bad as a game, despite having some very neat and sometimes even interesting mechanics, and Breath of Fire 6... well...

Mobile one I can't talk about, but what you say about Dragon Quarter...Ugh!

RanKizama posted:

I would say that it blows compared to III, but this is like arguing what Final Fantasy games are good and bad.

I like them about the same, I suppose, but I won't begrudge you having a different opinion.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

Also, Dragon Quarter is objectively bad as a game

That's a really hosed up thing to say and you should go sit in the corner and think about this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon quarter would be cool if it actually explained in detail how its mechanics work

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Trap sprung! Dance, puppets!

But seriously, I wish they'd release it digitally, so I could give the game another shot. I loved the concept of Dragon Quarter, and I even looked past how everything was so drastically different from previous BoF games. It had a great atmosphere (for what it was), and yeah, the music was pretty good. However, Dragon Quarter seemed extremely experimental, and aspects of it were just so obscure. Having the story told so brokenly, with this idea that, more or less, being reincarnated into the world brings you more and new information, is a great idea on paper, but it was so clumsy in execution, especially with the "time limit". With no guides, I spent a lot of time worried about exploring too much, concerned I'd have to start over too soon. Also, reading up on it, I don't think anyone actually enjoyed PETS.

My biggest complaint is that, unlike previous games, the game didn't seem to want to invest me in this version of Ryu and Nina. I remember being somewhat intrigued by Lin, because clearly you're supposed to be, but in the end, these were characters initially driven by their mystery and not by their personalities. Looking back at BoF3, you start the game getting a feel for Ryu's panic, and within the first hour, Rei and Teepo are cool dudes that you wanna break into mansions with. An hour into Dragon Quarter, you barely know anything about anyone, and the driving force is "What the deal with Dragons this time?" as you stumble about a cave until you accidentally dragon dash too much.

2002-2003 was an interesting time for JRPGs, as people were trying out all sorts of new and interesting ideas, some sticking and some not so much. Dragon Quarter was right in the middle of the JRPG storm that brought us Suikoden 3, Kingdom Hearts, Unlimited Saga, Grandia Xtreme, and the original .hack 4-parter. Some of it was really good! Some of it was just okay. Some of it was bad and worth looking at as a "You know, we had some good ideas. Let's try that again differently next time." Dragon Quarter was that kind of game. They should make an HD version with some QoL improvements instead of this dumb BoF6 game they're releasing this year.

e:
And what Endorph said.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is proteus any good for the vita? It looks like a cool concept but I dunno

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno how it runs on the Vita but my experience with the PS4 version was I walked around for ten minutes and nothing happened then I turned it off and deleted it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I wish Dragon Quarter were released as the PS2->PS4 classics, but truth be told, I wish that of many games.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's not really a game at all. Try Flower instead.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Proteus is the kind of game you play either on drugs, or as a replacement for meditation.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the Breath of Fire conflict was resolved peacefully.

We can all agree that Suikoden > BOF/FF so it's cool.

Costume screenshots for Dead or Alive Xtreme boobs

New characters join the roster for Summon Night 6

New trailer for Coven Labyrinth Refrain which is obviously not a NIS game...

New details on Hummel and Ricotta, characters from Ys VIII

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RanKizama posted:

4 starts off pretty slow, but really kicks it into gear once you hit the Empire areas.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Anora posted:

4 starts off pretty slow, but really kicks it into gear once you hit the Empire areas.
It's been like 15 years so I can't remember, but I may or may not have given up on the game before that point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

It's been like 15 years so I can't remember, but I may or may not have given up on the game before that point.

You can grab it on PSN sometime, since it's been as cheap as <$2. And since you have a Vita, you can take it with you!

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

You can grab it on PSN sometime, since it's been as cheap as <$2. And since you have a Vita, you can take it with you!
Eh, if I see it on sale sometime maybe I'll give it another go.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Schrodingers cat posted:

New trailer for Coven Labyrinth Refrain which is obviously not a NIS game...

I'm glad that dungeon crawlers are popular right now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yes it's fantastic

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

So when did the Tengu turn out to be one of the DoA girls?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Healbot posted:

Somewhere in DOA5's line of expansions.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Healbot posted:

Nyotengu is pretty.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
BoF4 takes a while before the plot gets going and by gets going I mean proceeds to punch you in the gut over and over

Dragon Quarter is pretty much everything is terrible all the way through. It's also really loving hard and is basically a survival horror jrpg that constantly pressures you to move on through almost every mechanical facet. Which kinda fits the overall plot and setting I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a game where you wander around a pretty island. That's pretty much it. I got bored of it inside twenty minutes. Thankfully, it was a PS+ title, otherwise I'd be asking for my money back.