Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MonoAus posted:

I don't understand why saying JSAs and Centrelink are incompetent but not malicious is so controversial.
Because they ARE malicious and deliberately so. Apart from some of the major themes this draws out, note the date and the fact that there have been no further reviews. That means that the system as you are experiencing it is how it is designed (not misadministered) to perform. The requirements are rigid, the aim is to discourage people from claim a benefit.

http://theconversation.com/reading-between-the-lines-of-australias-employment-services-success-story-11653

quote:

By this account it wasn’t only the employment service system operated by a range of for- profit and non-profit organisations that may have been so beneficial for the labour market. The well documented declining rate of Newstart Allowance in relation to wages – the replacement rate - acted to force unemployed people off benefits presumably into casual and part-time jobs which account for such a large proportion of the Australian labour market.

While the hourly minimum pay rates in these jobs are not low by international standards, many do not provide sufficient hours of work which are also very important for net earnings and income. Where hours of work are insufficient, vulnerability to poverty is increased.

quote:

The rigid welfare-to-work requirements on Janine meant she worked part-time as a cleaner although she sustained a repetitive strain injury which made this work very painful. She had raised a large family and had worked in her former husband’s business. She won’t be eligible for an age pension until she is 67, which means at 52 she has another 15 years of potential workforce participation.

Janine’s story highlights the increasing significance of changing circumstances across the life course, the “care penalty” on mothers, and the need for sustainable employment for older age groups. Her story shows that the employment services system is singularly ill-equipped to help people like her to make a transition into decent work.

The Government and the employment service provider were able to claim a positive outcome when Janine started her cleaning job. The employment service may have obtained a payment for this.

It wasn’t much of an outcome for Janine though. And there was not much value added for Australia. In a better quality, sustainable job, Janine could work more hours,over a longer time frame, with all the benefits this would bring to herself and the economy through increased income, tax revenues and retirement savings.
It is the government's intention to do everything it can to force people off benefits while never acknowledging that there are no jobs for these people to be employed in. It is an entirely cynical attempt to put negative pressure on wages growth. This is completely ideological as increasing wages growth is a boon to the economy in general and government revenue in particular. More over it is the only realistic reason that increased productivity is a worthwhile goal and is regularly touted as such by those empty cans that boom on and on about flagging multi-factor productivity growth.

Enforcing rigid and confusing rules while interpreting them for economic gain isn't incompetence, it is malevolence. Once the whip hand is in a private hand the government can stand back and tut tut without doing anything about it. Once again the principle of putting quasi judicial rulings with real financial effects into the hands of the private sector has been broached. That was never tolerated, until recently, and will not end well.

Also if you find people responding to serial buffoon Negligent better than scrolling past well formed human bodies then :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

So the issue you want to raise is that you're concerned that unskilled or unglamorous jobs don't get enough respect from someone like me? That they deserve better compensation, or the people who work them at least deserve to not be looked down on as wasting their lives? Cause if so we are in furious agreement.

If someone is working a job like cleaning toilets and doesn't mind staying where they are, there is nothing wrong with that and they deserve just as much as anyone to have their baseline subsistence assured. But there are also people stuck in jobs like that who were trying for something else, and couldn't find work in the field they were training for. Or people even in jobs that are more glamorous or more highly skilled and better paid, who still feel like they're wasting their lives. Or there are people who are happy and comfortable and satisfied with their jobs, but those jobs actively harm other people, and it would be better to pay them to do nothing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
In a world with basic income, Maslow's pyramid is actually upside down. Self actualisation comes ahead of economic survival. Every previous petal can blaze on like a crazy diamond, trying everything or even nothing until they find their true self.

Meanwhile some other people pay like 90% income tax on their job cleaning toilets

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I read the "utterly useless" thing in the context of "insecure subsistence" as going to JSA appointments.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wasn't the point of basic income that there would soon be robots to do the toilet cleaning?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

hooman posted:

I think perhaps you misunderstand the argument that (at least I) was presenting. I'm not saying that individual members of centrelink are anything more than the usual spread of incompetence and indifference that you will find in any business/industry. However I think that the policies that centrelink has to run under, the woeful underfunding and cutting of frontline services and the laws made to channel people into rent-seeking JSAs are made with intent to damage the poor.

You just have to look at LibertyCat's attitude toward people who are poor/unemployed to understand this train of thought. There is a moral imperative to punish these people, to make it as hard as possible to seek benefits and to take any opportunity to remove the benefit from them in order to motivate them to get a job for their own good. This isn't a policy that is in place to produce the best outcome for Australian society, this is policy that is in place to enable rent seekers (JSAs) and gently caress the poor.

Centrelink itself may not be a malicious organisation, neither may any individual JSA but the way they are formed, the lack of oversight to their practices and the policies they operate under are put together by bad actors who don't want best outcomes but want what they see as "moral" outcomes.

And this is a completely reasonable response. I don't share all of your opinions though, and that's fine. Thanks for not implying I'm stupid or that I should be punched in the face.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Let's say that you successfully make cleaning toilets a high status high paying occupation, that still means based on principles of progressive taxation that a person who spends their day cleaning toilets cheerfully funds the lifestyle of a person who collects photos of alpacas dressed in ponchos on pinterest out of genuine respect for that person's basic human dignity.

If you manage that congratulations you have reversed the entire historical course of human development.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

In a world with basic income, Maslow's pyramid is actually upside down. Self actualisation comes ahead of economic survival. Every previous petal can blaze on like a crazy diamond, trying everything or even nothing until they find their true self.

Meanwhile some other people pay like 90% income tax on their job cleaning toilets

It's not inverted, it's just that when society has the means to provide for the basic necessities of human existence people can focus on more interesting pursuits.

It sounds like you want people to be stuck in unsatisfying jobs?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
##vote Negligent
get lynched scumbo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

Let's say that you successfully make cleaning toilets a high status high paying occupation, that still means based on principles of progressive taxation that a person who spends their day cleaning toilets cheerfully funds the lifestyle of a person who collects photos of alpacas dressed in ponchos on pinterest out of genuine respect for that person's basic human dignity.

If you manage that congratulations you have reversed the entire historical course of human development.

You have some pretty strange ideas about what humans would do if left to their own devices.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Stop tempting me out of my break, Birb. :)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Toilet cleaning anecdote: I work at a primary school and we have had a number of cleaners come through over the years. When I started here, it was a retirement aged husband and wife team who also had the contract to clean the local shopping mall. They were quite proud of their business and obviously loved that they could spend time together at work, loved chatting to whoever was around while they were cleaning. Since they retired we've had another cleaner who is extremely proud of her work, loves seeing the kids and their work hanging up in the classrooms, loves feeling like she is part of the school even though she actually works for a contractor. It's not actually in the cleaning contract that they have to do any more than mop the floors and wipe the seats. When a kid blocks a toilet by ramming a whole toilet roll down there and then the next kid is so desperate to go that they just do their business on top of the blockage and then flush and flood the toilet, it's the school's responsibility to clean up this mess. The finance officer ends up doing it because she has the strongest stomach. Not every cleaner is super exploited and constantly up to their elbows in poo poo, depends on their contract. For some people it's definitely a fulfilling job that they keep coming back to.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Enforcing rigid and confusing rules while interpreting them for economic gain isn't incompetence, it is malevolence. Once the whip hand is in a private hand the government can stand back and tut tut without doing anything about it. Once again the principle of putting quasi judicial rulings with real financial effects into the hands of the private sector has been broached. That was never tolerated, until recently, and will not end well.

Slightly off topic, but I always find it surprising that complaining bitterly about private enterprise rarely considers that people could in fact out compete them with a better product.

Something about a free market economy.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What would be the point? You still get paid whether you provide a quality service or not. The whole problem is it's not a market system.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 10, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Graic Gabtar posted:

Slightly off topic, but I always find it surprising that complaining bitterly about private enterprise rarely considers that people could in fact out compete them with a better product.

JSAs get more money if they help a long-term unemployed find work, so it is financially in their best interest to not help people until they are long-term.

We could set up a JSA tomorrow that provides better outcomes for the clients, but financially we'd get stomped by the money grubbing JSAs and wouldn't financially be able to support that model. So gently caress the free market.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People complain about harsh conditions in prison, but if they're so bad then why haven't they been outcompeted by a better prison?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Centrelink chat :siren:

I've just got off the phone to Centrelink. I've been on hold for a bit, 10:00 -> 13:30. 3.5 hours (Three and a half loving hours) all told. Transferred here and there, different numbers to call. I'm just trying to get them to approve my medical certificate for a minor thing (2 fractured vertebrae) so I don't have to start work for the dole tomorrow.

Agile and efficient.

I'm currently waiting on them to call me back. :lol:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How is two fractured vertebrae a minor thing?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Mr Chips posted:

what did he do?

The original NBN plan called for the initial rollout to happen in major cities in order to build up a subscriber base and generate revenue which would then be used to partially finance the rollout of regional areas. Part of his minority government deal was that regional areas (read: his seat) would be given priority for the rollout.

Because of that typically short-sighted "ME FIRST" bullshit that regional areas always come out with, by the time Tony got in, the subscriber base for the NBN was tiny and the finances were all upside down. Having a large subscriber base wasn't just a financial move; it was political. Trying to destroy something that large numbers of people have had a chance to experience and approve of is much harder than destroying something a small handful of people already have and won't lose if you succeed.

I'm sure he didn't undermine it on purpose, but his myopia made sure it was endangered from day one. It pisses me off because the attitude is "I don't want to miss out on the thing they're building for the entire loving country so give it to me right now, even if that means jeopardising the rest of the country getting it." It's National Party politics through and through.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

open24hours posted:

People complain about harsh conditions in prison, but if they're so bad then why haven't they been outcompeted by a better prison?

Lol at this fucker implying prison isnt a worthwhile life goal for its own sake. Fuckin hypocrite

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

This would be true if the JSA sector was not a highly regulated industry where funding is based on Key Performance Indicators which are antithetical to providing good, ethical service. It is plainly not free market. A government providing all the rules, and all the funding, you can do better.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Negligent posted:

lmao look at this scrublord wannabe pulling out the humanistic theories here

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Blow posted:

Centrelink chat :siren:

I've just got off the phone to Centrelink. I've been on hold for a bit, 10:00 -> 13:30. 3.5 hours (Three and a half loving hours) all told. Transferred here and there, different numbers to call. I'm just trying to get them to approve my medical certificate for a minor thing (2 fractured vertebrae) so I don't have to start work for the dole tomorrow.

Agile and efficient.

I'm currently waiting on them to call me back. :lol:

lol if you don't think that the lady you talked to at Centrelink isn't literally trying to force you to commit suicide.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...309-gnekm9.html

I wonder how this will affect smoke machines.

Also :argh: My rights! :argh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...309-gnekm9.html

I wonder how this will affect smoke machines.

Also :argh: My rights! :argh:
Smoke machines actually produce an atomised fog and aren't effected by these toxic new authoritarian laws.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Smegmatron posted:

Because of that typically short-sighted "ME FIRST" bullshit that regional areas always come out with, by the time Tony got in, the subscriber base for the NBN was tiny and the finances were all upside down. Having a large subscriber base wasn't just a financial move; it was political. Trying to destroy something that large numbers of people have had a chance to experience and approve of is much harder than destroying something a small handful of people already have and won't lose if you succeed.
Widespread public resistance would not have stopped the Abbott government from trashing the FTTP NBN, and the urban deployments were stalled or years behind by that date anyway. Blaming Windsor for slowing it down, and in any substantial way making the project politically unviable, is an incredibly long bow to draw

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 10, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

Because of that typically short-sighted "ME FIRST" bullshit that regional areas always come out with,

This only happens because if it doesnt regional areas often get forgotten and skipped over.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

This only happens because if it doesnt regional areas often get forgotten and skipped over.

Also as an independent Windsor was just putting his electorate first, we need more pollies who do that.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Tokamak posted:

This would be true if the JSA sector was not a highly regulated industry where funding is based on Key Performance Indicators which are antithetical to providing good, ethical service. It is plainly not free market. A government providing all the rules, and all the funding, you can do better.

So what are their KPIs besides the anecdotal?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?&ie=UTF-8#q=job+service+provider+kpi

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MonoAus posted:

And this is a completely reasonable response. I don't share all of your opinions though, and that's fine. Thanks for not implying I'm stupid or that I should be punched in the face.

I'm not really a face puncher. :)

JOKE EDIT: You stupid idiot.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 10, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.nesa.com.au/media/11324/job20services20australia20performance20management20advice.pdf

:lol:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MonoAus posted:

lol if you don't think that the lady you talked to at Centrelink isn't literally trying to force you to commit suicide.

I think you've fallen into a common internet politics trap where rhetoric hasn't been clear about individualistic and systematic problems, and you end up conflating the two.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

also in auspol kille yourself and gonna punch you in the face may as well be friendly greetings

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Jintor posted:

also in auspol kille yourself and gonna punch you in the face may as well be friendly greetings

When in reality these are actually bad things that you would (probably) never say to another person in real life. Why is it ok here?

This is a thread where people have literally discussed if it's "OK" to say "Indigenous Australian" and have decried the use of the c word.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MonoAus posted:

When in reality these are actually bad things that you would (probably) never say to another person in real life. Why is it ok here?

This is a thread where people have literally discussed if it's "OK" to say "Indigenous Australian" and have decried the use of the c word.

As far as I knew "kill you'reself" while a bit of a thread injoke, has steadily become more and more frowned upon. I don't know why Bogan King would want to punch you in the face.

Contrasting that to terms that could be seen as racist or sexist/misogynist there's a bit of a difference, you'd never say kill yourself to someone on the street but people saying the c word are a dime a dozen, so it's worth trying to reduce it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

As far as I knew "kill you'reself" while a bit of a thread injoke, has steadily become more and more frowned upon. I don't know why Bogan King would want to punch you in the face.

Contrasting that to terms that could be seen as racist or sexist/misogynist there's a bit of a difference, you'd never say kill yourself to someone on the street but people saying the c word are a dime a dozen, so it's worth trying to reduce it.

I'm an equal opportunity face puncher. I will punch anyone, myself included.

The cat I'm looking after just got kicked by a roo. She's fine but I will happily punch anyone to make that go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

MonoAus posted:

whinging is cool and fun to read

• Locked thread