Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Holy poo poo these patch notes.

quote:

The Antiquarian Update - Build #13843 PATCH NOTES:
New Class: Antiquarian!
New Stage Coach upgrade tree: higher level heroes to recruit!
Quest Rewards: Heirloom type is no longer tied to each region. Instead, a random heirloom reward is generated for each individual quest.
Heirloom Exchange: trade heirlooms in town! You lose a little in each trade, but this is a quick fix to get that upgrade you really need.
Trophy Trinkets now find their way back to the hamlet after losing one. This means also means Trophy Trinkets will now reward retroactively.
Changed never again buff to 50% (was 30%)
Roster Size Increase: 9/12/16/20/24/28

Town upgrade pricing adjustments:
reduced crest costs for Nomad and Survivalist
reduced deed costs in blacksmith
slightly increased deed costs in Stage Coach
increased crest usage in most buildings by 25%
added costs for new stagecoach upgrade tree

Class Changes

Highwayman
Duelist Advance - Added Riposte
Open Vein - Added Bleed Resist Debuff
Wicked Slice - Increased DMG mod to +15%
Increased Min Damage for L4/L5 weapons from 7/8 to 9/8
HP changed from 22/26/30/34/38 to 23/28/33/38/43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well we can make a lot of jokes about them being slow about adding content but we sure as poo poo can't claim they don't listen

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

quote:

Fix for Fungal Giant’s Confusion Spore skill chance

Can anyone go file digging and tell us what this means?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
that's uh basically all i could ask for

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
These are welcome changes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Heirloom changes are pretty awesome. New Stage Coach upgrade can cause heroes of up to lv3 to appear in the recruits list and they have fully-leveled (for their level) skills and gear, plus up to 5 positive/negative Quirks.

Antiquarian combat skills kind of suck rear end but they're incredibly position-friendly. Her basic melee is nothing special due to her low damage but it has no downsides and hits the first 3 enemy positions from any position. She has a single target enemy ACC debuff that hits anywhere from anywhere, a weak Blight, a self-buff to SPD and Dodge, a very small heal, and a move that forces others to guard her while buffing her PROT and Dodge (maybe Riposte with a Highwayman and force him to guard her?). Camping skills are cheap but weak, she has Pilfer (renamed Resupply but same cost/effect), can acquire a random trinket for 2 rest periods, has a minor resist buff for another 2, and a mild self Stress Resist buff for 1. Nothing great but super cheap so she can use up leftover time easily.

In terms of money, she increases all gold stacking to 2,000 but not any other forms of stacking. When she's in the party you also have a chance to find "antique" loot items from fights and curios, and the chance to find them seems very high; I almost always was getting a basic antique from battles regardless of light level and often found them in curios. Not sure if they scale with her level or the dungeon's level but she can randomly find "Rare Antiques" worth 1k each. What's really great about these items is their stacking; I got up to 10 basic antiques in a single stack and they seem to stack to at least 12, and I'm not sure how much Rare Antiques stack but it seems to be at least 4 which puts them on par with Sapphires/Rubies. Here's the haul from a Medium Apprentice Dark run:

Essentially, she contributed about 8k to the overall haul. I'm not sure how worthwhile that is to folks but I also don't have an Antiquarian leveled up enough to know just how much of a liability she is. I actually suspect she could work decently as a dodge tank, or do something silly like sit in the first two positions with a Houndmaster and spam Get Down! on herself while the HM spams Guard Dog on her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
holy crap a highwayman gets riposte while he's waiting for his next turn to use point blank shot?

God drat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hello, we're dismas and reynauld. dismas does the killing, as befits the man in a coat; reynauld just sort of hangs around shouting and healing, as befits the man with the greatsword and the full plate mail

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hello, we're dismas and reynauld. dismas does the killing, as befits the man in a coat; reynauld just sort of hangs around shouting and healing, as befits the man with the greatsword and the full plate mail

Unless you happen to be unholy, then Reynauld will also participate in making GBS threads down your throat.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

holy crap a highwayman gets riposte while he's waiting for his next turn to use point blank shot?

God drat.

I am so glad they buffed The Ol' One-Two

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They also pretty significantly buffed his melee attacks by adding a debuff to Open Vein and a pretty huge damage bonus to Wicked Slice. +15% DMG on his basic melee is extremely solid.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

For serious lols compare and contrast a highwayman cycling point blank shot with a jester doing whatever it is he does with finale

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

For serious lols compare and contrast a highwayman cycling point blank shot with a jester doing whatever it is he does with finale

He's taking a bow while impaling your head with a spear. From above.

Also, it puts him in the back row, and has a massive debuff, so you can't really cycle it. It is a very nice "haha gently caress you for surprising us and putting my buffer in the front" move, though.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, in case anyone was wondering: Using the antiquarian's protect me move on somebody who's already defending (or the other way around) just switches the guard target, you don't get to protect two people at once.

There goes my gimmicky Guardian Shield comp.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How long does the PROT buff from Protect Me last?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mzbundifund posted:

How long does the PROT buff from Protect Me last?
Two turns:
code:
//Antiq ProtectMe
effect: .name "Antiq ProtectMe ClearGuardsPerformer" .target "performer" .chance 100% .clearguarding 1 .clearguarded 1 .on_hit true .on_miss true .duration 2
effect: .name "Antiq ProtectMe ClearGuardsTarget" .target "target" .chance 100% .clearguarding 1 .clearguarded 1 .on_hit true .on_miss true .duration 2
effect: .name "Antiq ProtectMe Guard" .target "target" .swap_source_and_target true .chance 100% .guard 1 .on_hit true .on_miss true .duration 2
Note that turn counters decrement at the start of a character's turn, meaning that if the Antiquarian goes before the character she forces to guard her they'll lose one turn of guarding and then stop guarding on their next turn. If she goes after they go, it will last through the next turn and until the guarding character takes a turn on the turn after that.

EDIT: Actually I think the buff lasts the standard 3 turns, the guard is the one that only lasts two:
code:
//Antiq ProtectBuff 1
effect: .name "Antiq DefBuff 1" .target "target" .curio_result_type "positive" .chance 100% .combat_stat_buff 1 .defense_rating_add 5%  .protection_rating_add 25% .on_hit true .on_miss true	.queue true
effect: .name "Antiq DefBuff 2" .target "target" .curio_result_type "positive" .chance 100% .combat_stat_buff 1 .defense_rating_add 5%  .protection_rating_add 28% .on_hit true .on_miss true	.queue true
effect: .name "Antiq DefBuff 3" .target "target" .curio_result_type "positive" .chance 100% .combat_stat_buff 1 .defense_rating_add 5%  .protection_rating_add 32% .on_hit true .on_miss true	.queue true
effect: .name "Antiq DefBuff 4" .target "target" .curio_result_type "positive" .chance 100% .combat_stat_buff 1 .defense_rating_add 5%  .protection_rating_add 36% .on_hit true .on_miss true	.queue true
effect: .name "Antiq DefBuff 5" .target "target" .curio_result_type "positive" .chance 100% .combat_stat_buff 1 .defense_rating_add 5%  .protection_rating_add 40% .on_hit true .on_miss true	.queue true
If no .duration is set for an effect it defaults to 3 turns. The same rule applies though, if the Antiquarian goes and then their guard goes, the guard will lose a turn of benefit even if they weren't attacked by anybody. PROT buffs are generally better if a character is either really fast or really slow, to guarantee it lasts through a whole round of enemy attacks.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 9, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Other Antiquarian tidbits, after some testing:
  • There's code now that lets characters find extra loot from a given loot table. This could, if you wanted, be cannibalized to other things for other classes. As implemented, the Antiquarian has a special loot table with a 5/6 chance of a Minor Antique and a 1/6 chance of a Rare Antique. I can't tell, but it seems that she gets an antique from every fight and every curio. It doesn't seem to matter what the light level is either, so the Antiquarian is a "safe" way to run full light and still pick up a fair bit of loot.
  • Minor Antiques are worth 275g and stack to 20(!). Rare Antiques are worth 1000g and stack to 5. Rares are as good as Rubies/Sapphires but have a higher total stack value, and the potential stack value for Minors is even better at 5500g total. You should be able to use the above figures to guesstimate how many antiques you'll get in a given dungeon run based on the number of curios and fights in the random generation file. Because the stack size is so high Long runs seem like they're going to be a lot more profitable as it's the only chance the Antiquarian has of maxing out her Minor stack.
  • Her Trinket scavenging camp skill can only acquire up to Very Rare, and Rare/Very Rare is quite unlikely compared to Very Common/Common. Sorry, no lucky Ancestrals from her.
  • Multiple Antiquarians stack. Every Antiquarian adds +500 to your max gold stack and a loot roll for antiques. If you rolled with 4 Antiquarians your gold would stack to 3500 and you would find 4 antiques (average value ~1600g) after every fight. The curio bonus only applies when the Antiquarian herself examines a curio, so you don't get a stacking bonus from that. Make absolutely sure the Antiquarian is opening all the chests!
  • Protect Me seems ridiculously overpowered right now. It rolls a stacking Prot buff that at low levels already guarantees ~10-15 Dodge and >50% Prot if reapplied to a single character, plus it keeps the Antiquarian herself safe. I was running two to test stacking and having them spam Protect Me on a BH and Hellion and they were basically unstoppable. Two Antiquarians guarding two Crusaders or something would be pretty resilient. Expect it to get nerfed but it's still incredibly good.
I want to repeat this outside the list because it's a crucial takeaway:

:siren: Antiquarians stack in effectiveness and each one improves your gold stacking and after-battle looting (but only one Antiquarian is needed to maximize curio looting). :siren:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It seems like the Antiquarian would be amazing with either a highwayman or a MAA using/abusing riposte skills. Since riposte seems to last two turns, the MAA can alternate between setting up and doing whatever he feels like on off turns. Meanwhile, the highway man can do his normal lunge/point blank loop, since the lunge gets a free riposte.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I haven't lost anyone in the last 30 hours, and of course the one person I lose right before the Darkest Dungeon is Dismas. You were like a month from retirement! not really

Are any of the boss trophies important for the Darkest Dungeon? I want to stick a fork in this thing before I lose anyone else and then finish up the bosses with my NEVER AGAINers.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Are any of the boss trophies important for the Darkest Dungeon? I want to stick a fork in this thing before I lose anyone else and then finish up the bosses with my NEVER AGAINers.

Isn't the big trinket priority for DD1 bleed resistance? The Flesh's Heart would be really good for that. (I'm prepping for it myself and have a blood charm, a cleansing crystal, the ancestor's handkerchief and the flesh's heart ready to go)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Protect Me seems ridiculously overpowered right now. It rolls a stacking Prot buff that at low levels already guarantees ~10-15 Dodge and >50% Prot if reapplied to a single character, plus it keeps the Antiquarian herself safe. I was running two to test stacking and having them spam Protect Me on a BH and Hellion and they were basically unstoppable. Two Antiquarians guarding two Crusaders or something would be pretty resilient. Expect it to get nerfed but it's still incredibly good.[/list]
I want to repeat this outside the list because it's a crucial takeaway:

Protect Me is hands down the most powerful ability the Antiquarian has, but it's not really noticeably more powerful than running 2x dogman or MAA in back and having them spam their respective guards. It's definitely the best way to get that sweet Antiquarian loot without dragging the party down too much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Highwayman is definitely much better now, and he has more than one valid build. The ol' one-two is effective, but he can also go melee now with Advance and Wicked Slice and not have it be stupid, and two Highwaymen can do the old Holy Lance strategy except they're both constantly Riposting and Duelist's Advance can hit all 4 enemy slots. Pistol Shot is still not terribly good and Tracking Shot is also a bit lame, but if you just kind of don't worry about Pistol/Grapeshot and focus on Duelist's Advance as his "ranged" attack instead it works out pretty nicely. He might've honestly been overbuffed getting all this stuff on top of more HP.

EDIT: Oh and I completely forgot that Unparalleled Finesse is Clean Guns but even better, so if you're doing the Advance/Wicked/Open setup you're getting some pretty insane boosts above and beyond what his camp buffs used to give.

I imagine there's some incredibly dumb (read: awesome) tricks you can do now with Highwaymen and Grave Robbers. Lunge/Advance parties for days.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 10, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I just got this and like it, but blockages are a garbage mechanic holy poo poo.

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

Power of Pecota posted:

Isn't the big trinket priority for DD1 bleed resistance? The Flesh's Heart would be really good for that. (I'm prepping for it myself and have a blood charm, a cleansing crystal, the ancestor's handkerchief and the flesh's heart ready to go)

The biggest threat for DD1 is definitely bleed, with stress and the SH's ability to gently caress up your party alignment also being issues. My suggestions:
  • If you bring an Occultist you absolutely must bring anti-bleed trinkets at a minimum and/or a Plague Doctor if you're really paranoid or just want her amazing stun. There is an enemy who can apply a debuff that lowers bleed resistance which can make Occultist heals more likely to backfire and if the final boss decides that he belongs in the front two rows you might be stuck without a healer. A Vestal with Junia's Head and Sacred Scroll is a safer choice but you're sacrificing offensive power for reliability.
  • As scary as the priests are, the witches should be your immediate priority for stun and kill because their stress attacks are potent and they can reasonably be brought down during the first turn.
  • A party that can correct its own order isn't as useful as a party that can perform its role in as many positions as possible during the boss battle.
  • Hellion, MAA, BH and HM (if you are willing to go out of your way to boost his damage a bit) are all good choices for damage dealers.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

fool_of_sound posted:

I just got this and like it, but blockages are a garbage mechanic holy poo poo.
Basically always pack no fewer than 3 shovels or you will always, always regret it. And don't use any curio that requires a shovel unless you're sure there are no more blockages because they always generate a cabinet or clam to tempt you and then surprise motherfucker, a third blockage!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

...blockages are a garbage mechanic holy poo poo.

looking forward to hearing about your progress in this game

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nakar posted:

Basically always pack no fewer than 3 shovels or you will always, always regret it. And don't use any curio that requires a shovel unless you're sure there are no more blockages because they always generate a cabinet or clam to tempt you and then surprise motherfucker, a third blockage!

It wouldn't annoy me so bad if you got a decent refund on the shovels. All the other provisions are a fine cost/security tradeoff, but blockage prevention is just a tax.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's a gamble, I suppose, and it depends on the dungeon. The Warrens are often so interconnecting that blockages can be gone around, but in the Weald you often don't have a choice. I prefer to play it safe but you can always take the risk.

It's basically there for you to guess how many shovels you think you'll need. There are curios that get bonus loot with shovels so they're not totally worthless if you don't find blockages. I think only the Warrens lacks a commonish curio that responds to shovels.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Papal Infallibility posted:

The biggest threat for DD1 is definitely bleed, with stress and the SH's ability to gently caress up your party alignment also being issues. My suggestions:

I've committed to Bounty Hunter/Grave Robber/Plague Doctor/Occultist so we'll see how this goes. I did invest in their different rank skills so in theory I won't need to do any re-positioning to put up a fight.

EDIT: The road to the boss was worse than the boss itself. The witches got all up on my PD and turned her masochistic. Good team for the Shuffler, PD landed her stuns nearly every turn while the others beat the hell out of the thing. Bounty Hunter got some huge hits when he could get to the Shuffler while it was stunned. The one turn they resisted stuns they ganged up on the poor PD, got her to death's door and Undulated her to death on the last round. R.I.P. Raimbeaucourt, you crazy dame, you made the difference and probably got the easy way out.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 10, 2016

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Is there any sort of time-sensitive content I need to be aware of? I noticed the game keeps track of the number of dungeons runs as "weeks" or can I take as long as I want?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone taken a look at the Musketeer yet? Are they just a reskinned Arbalest or what?

edit: can the Musketeer use Arbalest trinkets?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 10, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

warburg posted:

Is there any sort of time-sensitive content I need to be aware of? I noticed the game keeps track of the number of dungeons runs as "weeks" or can I take as long as I want?

First time through, you can take as long as you need. New Game+ adds a time limit of 91 weeks, along with a total death limit of 13. Supposedly including the two forced deaths of the final battle.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Afraid of Audio posted:

that's uh basically all i could ask for
Yeah being able to recruit higher level heros later on is, like, super super good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It wouldn't annoy me so bad if you got a decent refund on the shovels. All the other provisions are a fine cost/security tradeoff, but blockage prevention is just a tax.

buy 1 shovel and take a Grave Robber with you, they bring a shovel to every mission for free. I rarely take more than 2 shovels to missions as a rule. as you keep making progress you'll likely not have to worry about the cost of buying 2 shovels though. the damage and stress from having to claw out some rubble is sometimes too harmful to risk leaving shovels behind.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I ended up doing all four Darkest Dungeon missions in one sitting last night. The first was definitely the hardest, and they got progressively easier from there. I feel like the difficulty of the second mission was oversold a bit, I actually stumbled into the double templar fight unprepared and left it in better shape than I started. The third was fine except I took a Leper and even with the Ancestor's Signet he couldn't hit a goddamned thing. I really enjoyed the last mission, too... it was the perfect sort of cutscene battle to close out a game like this. I let Reynauld get the killing blow.

I'm pretty proud of my achievement spread for this, too. No retreats, no party wipes, no heart attacks. I lost four people (outside of the finale) and finished the Darkest Dungeon on week 70. I did skip a bunch of champion bosses, though, and the guidance in this thread surely saved me a lot of time and deaths. I feel like I would have lost whole teams on the first two Darkest Dungeon missions without knowing what to expect, specifically the Shuffler's attacks and the mechanics of Revelation, and in a game that takes 40 hours to get to that point I don't feel like that's a terribly fair expectation.

Other than that, this is a pretty amazing game. I'm looking forward to trying NG+ and seeing if what I've learned is enough to get me through.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
These patch changes are fantastic.

Antiquarian seems really really cool although I need more time to wrap my head around how to best use em.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
So are enemies coded to focus fire Hound Masters, or am I just having bad luck? I like them, but they're a massive chore to keep alive, even with a dodge buff up.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Depends on the enemy. What were you fighting? Some foes like Spiders and Fungus have AI that sort of encourages dogpiling (no pun intended), but not for any specific class.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Just generally in the ruins. Every enemy that could attack them were doing so 2/3rds of the time. It's probably just bad luck or wierd prioritization thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quote:

Trophy Trinkets now find their way back to the hamlet after losing one. This means also means Trophy Trinkets will now reward retroactively.

So does this mean you can load up your parties with Trophies and not worry about ever worry about dying and losing them? That is awesome.