Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'm so pleased. Thin Privilege is doing the lord's work here. I love the depressing park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Depressing park doesn't have nearly enough random metal pipes extending from the ground into nowhere for my taste. Great to see The Motherland Calls there!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is the view out my aunt's window. Random pipes in depressing grass spotted. Power plant looks pretty similar too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That reminds me.. I wonder if one could make an above-ground water pipes mod...

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

mutata posted:

Depressing park doesn't have nearly enough random metal pipes extending from the ground into nowhere for my taste. Great to see The Motherland Calls there!

I know, I wish I knew how to make 3D stuff to import into the game :( The carousel should also be way bigger and rusted.

I also really want to get some garages (like Murka's) as props so I can make a big depressing parking area for even more authenticity.

mutata posted:

That reminds me.. I wonder if one could make an above-ground water pipes mod...

That would be so cool and useful.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

This is the view out my aunt's window. Random pipes in depressing grass spotted. Power plant looks pretty similar too.

:stare:

Does your Aunt live in Bratislava or Krakow or.... Chernobyl?

I don't understand how people can live in cities like that. What does she do for oxygen when the wind shifts in her direction?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hadlock posted:

:stare:

Does your Aunt live in Bratislava or Krakow or.... Chernobyl?

I don't understand how people can live in cities like that. What does she do for oxygen when the wind shifts in her direction?

Just Kiev in winter, it's not bad in not-winter. That specific view is just a hilariously perfect post-soviet industrial delight though. Packs of feral dogs too. The big industrial thing in the background is a local steam heating plant, just like in the expansion!
PS they drive just like in the dash cam videos too! I sometimes wish there was some sort of traffic safety mechanic in the game where really bad unsafe designs and junctions would actually cause accidents, and traffic lights actually had a use in that they created safer intersections. But unless handled perfectly it would be frustrating to deal with, so perfect self driving AI cars it is.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Thin Privilege posted:

There's no good depressing parks so I made my own

That indeed is one depressing park. Good job. Put a parking lot right next to it for maximum effect. Maybe with a crowd spot for slav squat action.

Also, resident modder superstars, could someone please build some proper specialized industry assets? Trying to build good looking oil industry here, but there are exactly zero refineries in the workshop, only storage tanks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Terraforming, Canals, and Quays: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/Cities-Anniversary/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Players should be formally informed that they can perform mild terraforming on their cities’ formations, to reform former landforms into malformed formats. Canals and quays will also be available for construction, so that Paradox can officially say they have handed over the quays to the city.

These puns are too powerful for me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Friction posted:

That indeed is one depressing park. Good job. Put a parking lot right next to it for maximum effect. Maybe with a crowd spot for slav squat action.

I did one better and put depressing Russian garages next to it.

(lovely photoshop because I realized a nice building snuck in somehow. gonna bulldoze that fucker).

And you're right, I DO need a plaza for squatting. I also realized I need a marketplace (рынок) for the selling of illegal goods. I really need to learn 3D better cause there's nothing on workshop for that.

e: I wish you could make your cims wear adidas, also fur hats.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 10, 2016

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Canals will get me back into this game, I've wanted them since day 1 and I haven't much liked the mods I've seen so far. Hopefully they'll include some stock sea-walls as well.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

No more futzing with finicky sea wall assets?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

necrotic posted:

No more futzing with finicky sea wall assets?!

We've yet to see how any of these features are implemented, mods could remain better.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

We've yet to see how any of these features are implemented, mods could remain better.

This is hard to imagine given how annoying seawalls are right now, but I guess anything is possible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

This is hard to imagine given how annoying seawalls are right now, but I guess anything is possible.

Seriously though, they can't not be better, at least in terms of ease of use. Some of them look pretty neat if set-up just so.

Finally I will be able to properly do my industrial/port with reclaimed islands and canals everywhere.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Count Roland posted:

Seriously though, they can't not be better, at least in terms of ease of use. Some of them look pretty neat if set-up just so.

Finally I will be able to properly do my industrial/port with reclaimed islands and canals everywhere.

If the terraforming lets us make like sea-walled landfill islands, I'll be pleased as punch. Let me make my knockoff of Tokyo Disney Resort, Colossal :getin:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm really excited for these additions, it's gonna be great to be able to do shorefronts and stuff with ease instead of the ridiculously finicky poo poo we've been dealing with through mods in this and SC4 all these years.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I hope they include a good tool for doing steep embankments so we can finally build good sunken/raised railways and highways and stuff

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyaaMHe09s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmOltu83jk

So wait, why is CO using music from The Sims 3 in their videos? Is that allowed?

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

What's the difference between the Building Themes mod and the District Styles feature in the game? They sound like they do the same thing, and I'm not sure if one is more useful / usable / convenient than the other.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Argentic posted:

What's the difference between the Building Themes mod and the District Styles feature in the game? They sound like they do the same thing, and I'm not sure if one is more useful / usable / convenient than the other.
Building Themes is a hell of a lot less kludgey than the game's own District Styles feature. Themes lets you add and remove buildings on the fly in-game, rather than having to fiddle with assets in the content manager from the main menu. It also gives you more information about the assets you're adding to a theme, including a render of the buildings, like so:

I was struggling with making the game's District Style stuff work the way I wanted it to, but my God the Building Themes mod is so much more useful.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone know what "weeks" translates to when you're using the rush hour mod? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean actual weeks since that would be an insanely long time, I guess they just weren't able to change the text in the parts of the game that measure time in weeks, like loans and unique unlocks, is that right?)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ofaloaf posted:

So wait, why is CO using music from The Sims 3 in their videos? Is that allowed?

I've heard that song used in a couple different places, unless EA has the exclusive license to the song or owns the copyright there's nothing stopping Paradox from licensing it for a trailer.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Building Themes is a hell of a lot less kludgey than the game's own District Styles feature. Themes lets you add and remove buildings on the fly in-game, rather than having to fiddle with assets in the content manager from the main menu. It also gives you more information about the assets you're adding to a theme, including a render of the buildings, like so:

I was struggling with making the game's District Style stuff work the way I wanted it to, but my God the Building Themes mod is so much more useful.

Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for. I'll grab Building Themes and not bother messing with the District Styles stuff. Any good theme sets that you'd recommend?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

super fart shooter posted:

Does anyone know what "weeks" translates to when you're using the rush hour mod? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean actual weeks since that would be an insanely long time, I guess they just weren't able to change the text in the parts of the game that measure time in weeks, like loans and unique unlocks, is that right?)

Isn't a week in CS on the order of several seconds (10-15) at the highest speed? Days go by quite fast in game. The Day/Night cycle has nothing to do with actual days.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Half the marketing campaign for Skylines has been taking shots at EA. Everything from calling your citizens Cims, to advertising it will be offline and single player.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

Half the marketing campaign for Skylines has been taking shots at EA. Everything from calling your citizens Cims, to advertising it will be offline and single player.

Well, they know their market.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

necrotic posted:

Isn't a week in CS on the order of several seconds (10-15) at the highest speed? Days go by quite fast in game. The Day/Night cycle has nothing to do with actual days.

Rush hour changes the clock so it's an actual hour:minute clock that syncs with the day/night cycle. So a single day takes a long time. But for the purposes of measuring loan duration and the like, it seems the passage of weeks is unchanged. So I guess my question is what's the ratio of day/night cycles to weeks?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ofaloaf posted:

From the comments:

Paradox Interactive posted:

Wow, what are the odds?! We actually bought this music from a service... Apparently the same one as our lovely friends at EA :)
https://www.extrememusic.com/albums/1788?item=31629&ver=64466
Not sure how we missed that... "Oops" - Rick Perry

;)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paradox posted on the video that they bought it from a service. And they're "not sure how we missed that. 'Oops' - Rick Perry."

E: goddamnit.

CO and Paradox trolling EA will never not be funny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love her emotionless slightly grumpy fin-scowl as she plays with model trains.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Paradox posted on the video that they bought it from a service. And they're "not sure how we missed that. 'Oops' - Rick Perry."

E: goddamnit.

CO and Paradox trolling EA will never not be funny.

New Project confirmed: Not-Sims by Colossal Order

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

evilmiera posted:

New Project confirmed: Not-Sims by Colossal Order

Zens: Suburban Dreams

Citizen -> Zen.
It writes itself.

Baronjutter posted:

I love her emotionless slightly grumpy fin-scowl as she plays with model trains.

I almost expected in the final scenes to show them crashing the trains into each other, then turning to the camera to laugh as they introduce traffic disasters to the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I'm going to try to make a model train building based on a skylines building, maybe it put a smile on someone at CO's face to combine these things.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

I almost expected in the final scenes to show them crashing the trains into each other, then turning to the camera to laugh as they introduce traffic disasters to the game.
They're Finns. The trains would crash into each other, the Finns would do a flat chuckle and then comment to the camera that they find no joy in life.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to play a map that was snowy, but it was snowy all the time. Are there any maps that have more varied weather? Sunny and Snowy days? Seasons even? Is that even a thing in the game yet?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That is not a thing in the game yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reason posted:

I tried to play a map that was snowy, but it was snowy all the time. Are there any maps that have more varied weather? Sunny and Snowy days? Seasons even? Is that even a thing in the game yet?

Oh you poor thing :(
I wonder if anyone's actually figuring out how to mod in seasons. Snow-on-roofs is a dynamic thing applied to assets, so I still don't understand why it wasn't season based from the outset honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Oh you poor thing :(
I wonder if anyone's actually figuring out how to mod in seasons. Snow-on-roofs is a dynamic thing applied to assets, so I still don't understand why it wasn't season based from the outset honestly.

I really like the snow, but heating pipes are expensive as gently caress and I kept bankrupting myself just trying to provide heat to my peoples.