Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Years ago when I first read The Hunger Games, before the movie adaptations happened and before The Purge wrapped the concept up in a way that let people fantasize about legal murder under the guise of class warfare, I had a moment of reflection where I thought that it would make for a great video game and then immediately hated myself for thinking that when it went against the entire point of The Hunger Games being a bad thing because they were abject cruelty presented as entertainment.

Flash forward six years and now The Culling is one of the best-selling games on Steam. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I haven't played a whole lot of Kirby but I really liked the metroidvania one, Amazing Mirror. Did they ever do another similar one?

Sleeveless posted:

Years ago when I first read The Hunger Games, before the movie adaptations happened and before The Purge wrapped the concept up in a way that let people fantasize about legal murder under the guise of class warfare, I had a moment of reflection where I thought that it would make for a great video game and then immediately hated myself for thinking that when it went against the entire point of The Hunger Games being a bad thing because they were abject cruelty presented as entertainment.

Flash forward six years and now The Culling is one of the best-selling games on Steam. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sleeveless posted:

I must have missed a boat or something, because yesterday I'd never heard of The Culling and now today I've seen it in like five different threads. I'll have to look it up tonight I guess, hubbub doesn't happen on its own

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think that the best way a game can capture the Battle Royale feeling (gently caress that rip off hunger games bullshit garbage) is to not try and do the same type of game as in BR. As was said, to try and make a fun shooting action game based on that premise is to sort of miss the whole point.

Dangan Ronpa and Virtue's Last Reward capture a lot of the emotions that BR dredges up though; the sense of being forced by cruel destiny to do things you otherwise wouldn't have to do. DR at least sort of gives you a means of "defense" since you have to out the killers and cannot be killed yourself. VLR subverts it too, but sort of in the opposite direction...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think that the best way a game can capture the Battle Royale feeling (gently caress that rip off hunger games bullshit garbage) is to not try and do the same type of game as in BR. As was said, to try and make a fun shooting action game based on that premise is to sort of miss the whole point.

Dangan Ronpa and Virtue's Last Reward capture a lot of the emotions that BR dredges up though; the sense of being forced by cruel destiny to do things you otherwise wouldn't have to do. DR at least sort of gives you a means of "defense" since you have to out the killers and cannot be killed yourself. VLR subverts it too, but sort of in the opposite direction...

The Hunger Games is a ripoff of Battle Royale in the sense that Cave Story is a ripoff of Super Mario Bros.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I must have missed a boat or something, because yesterday I'd never heard of The Culling and now today I've seen it in like five different threads. I'll have to look it up tonight I guess, hubbub doesn't happen on its own

The first time I heard of it was 5 minutes ago in the post you quoted.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hunger games is pretty different thematically and in tone than battle royale.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Hunger Games is a rip off of The Running Man.

Also, the culling's combat looks hella lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iFykomw0Y

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I went to a dollar cinema with my brother to watch the first of the Hunger Games movies. This was a few years ago, of course. It was a tiny cinema, with just a few screens, but the rooms were labelled in a strange way... Our tickets had a number "3" on them, so we walked into what we thought was room 3. Inside, the credits to that live-action Snow White were playing, so we figured they were just behind schedule, and the Hunger Games would be shown next.

So we waited ten minutes, and the next movie started, and we recognized Judi Dench immediately. I didn't know that Judi Dench was in the Hunger Games. That's because she isn't. It was the Marigold something something Hotel that was playing, and it took us an embarrassing five minutes to figure out we were in the wrong room. So we left and looked again for room 3, and couldn't find it... We asked the man in front, Where is room 3? And he pointed us to a tiny, innocuous door off to the side. Inside was a projector and a DVD player. Probably not legal, to charge money for that I mean, and it was a tiny room, maybe fifteen folding chairs were set up.

So that was a strange experience that will stick with me forever.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

The Hunger Games is a ripoff of Battle Royale in the sense that Cave Story is a ripoff of Super Mario Bros.

Yeah right, Hunger Games is basically Battle Royale but with a reality show theme. It even does the thing where they read off the names of the dead at the end of the day. The only reason it isn't more similar is because the Hunger Games has paper thin and boring characters whose lives and deaths don't really feel meaningful, so you don't really care about them, so there's just less material for the emulating.

EDIT: The CGI on the chick's burning dress looked awful.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 10, 2016

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah right, Hunger Games is basically Battle Royale but with a reality show theme. It even does the thing where they read off the names of the dead at the end of the day. The only reason it isn't more similar is because the Hunger Games has paper thin and boring characters whose lives and deaths don't really feel meaningful, so you don't really care about them, so there's just less material for the emulating.

lmao yeah battle royale is known for its deep and intricate character building

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hog Inspector posted:

lmao yeah battle royale is known for its deep and intricate character building

Seeing as how the entire story is about the various interactions and interconnections of the characters, yes, I'd say it's certainly known for its memorable and interesting characters. It's not an action movie in the slightest; the deaths are all shocking and fairly quick. There's also this psychotic anime guy running around killing people horribly.

Also, BR actually gave a poo poo about characters besides the main one. You had the group of nerds who were instrumental to the film's climax; that gang of girls who tried to hide out and play it safe in the lighthouse leads into a Taratino-esque scene that successfully sets up and dismantles an entire group of characters in the span of maybe six minutes, if not less. It's a better film in every way. Hell, Battle Royale delivers a more impactful message with the very first seconds of it beginning than any single moment in the entirety of the first Hunger Games movie.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hunger Games is for teenagers

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jay Rust posted:

Hunger Games is for teenagers

As opposed to Battle Royale, which is for teenagers in 2002 after spending all night downloading it off of Kazaa.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Seeing as how the entire story is about the various interactions and interconnections of the characters, yes, I'd say it's certainly known for its memorable and interesting characters. It's not an action movie in the slightest; the deaths are all shocking and fairly quick. There's also this psychotic anime guy running around killing people horribly.

Also, BR actually gave a poo poo about characters besides the main one. You had the group of nerds who were instrumental to the film's climax; that gang of girls who tried to hide out and play it safe in the lighthouse leads into a Taratino-esque scene that successfully sets up and dismantles an entire group of characters in the span of maybe six minutes, if not less. It's a better film in every way. Hell, Battle Royale delivers a more impactful message with the very first seconds of it beginning than any single moment in the entirety of the first Hunger Games movie.

Battle royale is an R-rated horror/slasher, hunger games is a pg-13 action movie. BR is also better. They do entirely different things with the premise, they're only similar superficially.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have been very tempted to buy The Culling because everything I"ve heard about it makes me think I'd love it. But I also thought that about Killing Floor 2 and I regret spending any money on that game.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

We play video games for children.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Oh trust me, the video games I play are definitely not for children :devil:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Oh trust me, the video games I play are definitely not for children :devil:

They are.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

double post

oops

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

What kind of hosed up games did you play as a kid? Thinking we need some censorship in here

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Please close this thread, I'm feeling influenced.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

What child would spend $60 to play the re-release of a Zelda game that originally came out before they were even born?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

What child would spend $60 to play the re-release of a Zelda game that originally came out before they were even born?

A manchild.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lizard Wizard posted:

Chao in a singlet doing aerobics, please.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Thank you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak posted:

What's a good JRPG on ps4? Preferably one with lots of action elements, not like, Persona.
https://twitter.com/HadlerER/status/707341155017564160

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drat, that chao is jacked.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mak0rz posted:

MS Paint request: stux's avatar doing this

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You sound exactly like my insane ex 5 years ago.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

you've done fine work this day, oddium

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

You sound exactly like my insane ex 5 years ago.

We were meant to be together why don't you return my calls

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Yay, I'm relevant, haha.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ravane, go back to Genchat

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

nice boy

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ravane posted:

Yay, I'm relevant, haha.

I wouldn't get used to it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a very nice day today, spent most of it playing hyrule warriors on and off, still playing atm with my fiancee, just gathering up the hard mode skulltulas in legend mode,

I hope that everybody else is having a similarly fine day, and I am sorry if you are not having a good day, and I sincerely hope that it gets better soon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Void broke on me temporarily but after playing some I Am Alive it seems to be feeling better.

Dark Void of due note is this kind of crummy cover based shooter grafted onto a kickin' rad awesome jetpack shooty boom bang pow game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dark Void broke on me temporarily but after playing some I Am Alive it seems to be feeling better.

Dark Void of due note is this kind of crummy cover based shooter grafted onto a kickin' rad awesome jetpack shooty boom bang pow game.

I wish that just once somebody would make a third-person action game with a flight power and then not immediately neuter that flight power with anti-air units the way that Dark Void/Divinity 2/etc. do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

I wish that just once somebody would make a third-person action game with a flight power and then not immediately neuter that flight power with anti-air units the way that Dark Void/Divinity 2/etc. do.

oh no now i know what to look forward to

• Locked thread