Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd say that this looks pretty fair for a last level, since it's not leaving you out to dry with ammo. But you also said it took you 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It's definitely fair. I'll get a final total time once I finish editing, it seems closer to an hour and a half, four 25 min segments, part of which was 10 mins waiting for a sub area portal.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The only thing i'd call bullshit on in the final level being that they don't give you a backpack until right before the final bosses. An hour and half to 2 hours long for a level is a long time to go without loving up.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Assuming you find the hidden area, there's a back pack through the false wall where the ultra health I keep skipping is in this video about 2/3 of the way through.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The explosive shells are plenty enough that you don't really need the back pack--as long as you've found all chronoscepter pieces before the campaigner. otherwise that fight can be a bit annoying. i actually thought this level was easier than the Treetop village and Lost Lands.hardest part was some of those jumps to secret areas in the beginning of the level.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I am glad this is back and I am looking forward to part 2, where every level is 2 hours. :allears:

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Since we're nearing the end of the game, I decided to be somewhat interesting a write up a post on what's known of the game's cut content. I've place it in the test poster due to the images (and to keep your second post tidy for if/when you decide to put this and other things in it :v: ).

operative lm and Dinosaur Hunter's cut content

Also, in the same interest, I put my comic post in a test post as well if you want to tidy up even more.

operative lm explains the comics

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i appreciate the comic write-up. i only ever read the Acclaim Turok comics (but i read all of them :shepicide:) and the more recent Jim Shooter reboot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the robot's death cries. Then again, anything sounds lame compared to the primal screams of the human enemies when they die.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

That is amazingly awesome operative lm. I love the tiny eyes on the purr-linn. Also I have exactly one Turok comic, I think it's Dark Horse.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Update ahoy

Episode 19 - A Series Of Unfortunate Events

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yep, this level is definitely as hard as i remember it. That deep lava pit is a real bastard if you aren't being careful.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I want to say the remake changed those deep pits into either insta-death ones or ones with lava right at the top so you could just jump out if you happen to fall in.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I remember always wanting to play the first Turok, and now I'm glad I didn't. Most of these later levels look like an absolute loving slog to wade through, and you don't seem to have many good options for dealing with enemies outside of explosive shells or too-heavy ordnance.

Turok 2 might be much better in that regard. I could never finish it; but at least random mooks are hurt by your lesser arms!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Seiren posted:

I remember always wanting to play the first Turok, and now I'm glad I didn't. Most of these later levels look like an absolute loving slog to wade through, and you don't seem to have many good options for dealing with enemies outside of explosive shells or too-heavy ordnance.

Turok 2 might be much better in that regard. I could never finish it; but at least random mooks are hurt by your lesser arms!

I'll admit, I never had much problem with the rest of the game (most deaths would come from missed jumps) but I never beat this level without turning on cheats and just annihilating everything with an unlimited ammo chronosceptor. It's very difficult and as you can see, one or two bad moves can cost you 200 health pretty quickly. The other missions punish you for imprecision but they don't really prepare you as well for dealing with tons and tons of enemies sticking you in chokepoints.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's still quite liberal with the ammo, but he's lucky he didn't die. The gloves are off.

Do they fix the Spiritual Invincibility glitch in the remastered version?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Seiren posted:

the Turok Remastered game is loving marvelous and i had an absolute blast playing it. no joke, it was a joy to play and i wish there were more modern games that played like it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I haven't gotten to touch the remastered version yet but a can't wait with how good everyone says it is. The later levels are a bot of a slog on hard due to the early type of difficulty increase of more enemy health and higher damage to the player, resulting in the necessity for a more careful style of play, making everything take longer. This level does vomit rockets at you left and right at least. A good couple fusion rounds after this as well.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

Do they fix the Spiritual Invincibility glitch in the remastered version?

Yes. Although, they have an extra difficulty called Hardcore, which speeds all enemies up to the same Super level.....ALL THE TIME. Plus, you know, the normal damage buffs they have and a reduction of damage you do. (Normal arrows are far more precious, useful and rare than Tek).

As for this level. Level 8 is really the only stage that I did really care for. Such a long level, and mostly all bullshit. The saving grace is the near plethora of Explosive Shells laying around.

But seriously, gently caress Cyborg Sergeants.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

New episode everybody.

Episode 20 - Bouncing Back

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You said this level takes up 5 videos, right? I'd say that the last video was the hardest of the level, but I wouldn't know. I always cheated to the bosses.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The game definitely looks a lot different at this point than it did in the beginning. You start with a knife and bow in jungle like areas fighting dinosaur like creatures. Now were in a dark place with anti gravity pads and anything from mechs to aliens to fight. Having never made it this far when I played it as a kid, it's interesting to see what I've missed.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

You said this level takes up 5 videos, right? I'd say that the last video was the hardest of the level, but I wouldn't know. I always cheated to the bosses.

yes, 5 videos, though the last one is a little shorter. I have one more bonus vid showing off some of the cheats, and trying to do something different over the end credits.

Warmal posted:

The game definitely looks a lot different at this point than it did in the beginning. You start with a knife and bow in jungle like areas fighting dinosaur like creatures. Now were in a dark place with anti gravity pads and anything from mechs to aliens to fight. Having never made it this far when I played it as a kid, it's interesting to see what I've missed.

It gets even darker.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

New Episode

Episode 21 - Hello Darkness My Old Friend

This level is long enough that I ran out of anything I could think to talk about at one point. Still fun to play at least.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As cool of a fight as Thunder is, he isn't quite as cool as a T-Rex in an F-14.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PSWII60 posted:

New Episode

Episode 21 - Hello Darkness My Old Friend

This level is long enough that I ran out of anything I could think to talk about at one point. Still fun to play at least.

And that's the fight absolutely everyone who played Turok remembers, even if they had to cheat to get to it. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there any reason why you kept one Fusion Cannon charge during the T-Rex fight? If you're gonna show off what I think you're gonna show off, you can get another Fusion Cannon charge in that long corridor that leads to the Campaigner, since it contains one of every weapon in the game plus a backpack.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Is there any reason why you kept one Fusion Cannon charge during the T-Rex fight? If you're gonna show off what I think you're gonna show off, you can get another Fusion Cannon charge in that long corridor that leads to the Campaigner, since it contains one of every weapon in the game plus a backpack.

Yes, I have a reason, I have the best reasons. Really though I just didn't realize I had it :downs:.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
Don't sell yourself short. Not knowing you had it is a pretty good reason not to use it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm not sure what Fusion Canon thing yall are reffering to so i guess i should be excited?

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
The name Thunder comes from the old Dinosaur Hunter website. :pseudo:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm not sure what Fusion Canon thing yall are reffering to so i guess i should be excited?
I could just say what it is since there isn't a "no spoilers" policy in this thread, but I'm sure PSWII60 will show it off, plus surprises are good.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I thought I fired the Fusion Cannon several times.:confused:

Anywho new update, and nearly the end of Turok 1.

Episode 22 - A Broken Warrior

I don't know what chooses what cheats unlock at the end of the game. If I had to guess it would be related to the difficulty your playing on.

Speaking of cheats I have one more bonus showing off the cheats. Then on to Turok 2.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Huh, Campaigner also has that shield in the remake but i always assumed it was just something he could throw up at whenever just to spite you, didn't think it was an actual thing preventing you from using the "heavier" weapons to take him down faster.

Turok's dopey leg while he's running from the explosion in the ending was always my favorite thing as a kid :allears: That's not an emulation thing either as i remember that happening on the actual console as well. It's something that was fixed as well in the remake and was a little sad to see gone.

Anyway, grats on finishing the game :toot: Can't wait for 2.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I love the dopey leg, and I remember seeing it happen on consoles too. I let out a little squeak noise when I saw it again

I am kinda curious what made him pinball around like I was hitting him with Hexen's Disks of Repulsion. AI got confused since that Particle Accelerator shot connected with him?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I think this was one of my first shooter games as a kid, right after DooM and Quake 2. It was always really impressive to me, and I got pretty good at it, for a dumb kid who could only really aspire to getting halfway through any videogame. Once the sequels came out, I was never able to do much with the single player modes, because it was all deathmatch all the time, and my friends were really into it. I'll be really interested to see how those progress!

I'm also looking at a few issues of a newer incarnation of the comic, and they're pretty rad. I would recommend!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Haha, that leg :allears:

As I've likely mentioned early, I'm not particularly familiar with the first game, and I'm relatively glad I missed it. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it enough, but I played Goldeneye first. A lot of those later levels looked like an annoyingly brutal slog with the rapidly-respawning enemies and too little ammo to properly deal with threats. I certainly wouldn't have finished the game, less because of ineptitude, but more out of frustration & despair at the seemingly never-ending levels. Those stages got ridiculously huge, and that stronghold the Campaigner had going on is seriously no joke. Just watching the videos it seemed to be long enough to dwarf the entirety of the original Doom. It was like, what, five 20~30 minute long videos played by a competent player knowing what he's doing. And then the finale versus the Campaigner, immune to two of your best, more limited weapons "because". I'm probably just nitpicking, since from what I remember, Turok 2 also had some really long levels, and a degree of scarcity with ammunition/health pickups and such. I also didn't finish it, but if I'm remembering things correctly, the enemies aren't immune to anything, and all of the guns are useful, some of which have infinite uses. Can't be sure about the bosses, though, I've never fought them "fairly".

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Its really nice that the corridor before the final boss gives you a nice opportunity for retrospection with all the weapons. Are you going to show off all the cheats before you move on to the next game because I remember the pc version having some real funny ones.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Tombot posted:

Its really nice that the corridor before the final boss gives you a nice opportunity for retrospection with all the weapons. Are you going to show off all the cheats before you move on to the next game because I remember the pc version having some real funny ones.

Absolutely, I had a video recorded but somehow the game's audio left the video file after recording. I don't really know what happened, but it should be easy enough to re-record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Looking forward to Turok 2. I didn't watch beyond the first few videos of the first game because it all starts to look a bit samey after a while, but 2 should be a lot more interesting.

I recall Nintendo Official Magazine UK trying desperately to sell Turok 2 as the SCARIEST GAME EVER, which I thought was ridiculous even as a kid but I did really enjoy the game itself at the time. I played through that first level countless times.

• Locked thread