Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Next you'll tell me there's man named after calendars.

Um....

But yeah, it looks like they dropped the "Captain" from Captain Boomerang. It's probably a change for the better. Captain Boomerang sounds loving stupid, even by comic book standards.

What are you, the Blumhouse CEO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe that was :thejoke:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vagabundo posted:

What are you, the Blumhouse CEO?

No, but I do follow them more heavily than I follow any other production house, because out of their 50 goddamn movies a year or whatever, the wide bulk turn out dope as hell. :v:

(I wish I was Jason Blum, dude's rich as hell and has pretty much my dream job.)

e: I will say that their habit of re-editing indie stuff they pick up sucks, though. The one thing in The Gallows that was clearly from their reshoots, the epilogue, is easily the worst part of the movie and straight up ruins the actual ending through overexplanation, and they picked the worst ending for Paranormal Activity out of the available ones by a wide margin.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 10, 2016

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It was a few pages ago we were thalking about the best of Nicolas Cage's new stuff, but he turns in a hell of a performance in 2014's Joe, directed by David Gordon Green.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Secondly, they don't have a distribution arm and rely on other studios to handle distribution for them. When a movie's solid, this is good and doesn't create issues, but when they've got something that nobody actually wants to see or release, it creates issues because they have to either try to bash the movie into not sucking or just hold out until they can foist it off on someone. This is why The Green Inferno took like 2 years to come to theaters after its festival premiere. This is presumably why the new Amityville got pushed back nearly a year.

You've mentioned this twice about THE GREEN INFERNO but it's incorrect. Worldview and Open Road (Who were scheduled to release it) got ugly with one another over Print & Advertising money. Worldview's CEO promised Open Road the money and then left the company, leaving behind him a lot of extravagant promises of money that they couldn't keep. Plus Worldview were being sued because someone put 3.7 million into the company for a Executive Producer credit on BIRDMAN, and got neither the money or credit. Once the money issues were sorted, Blumhouse bought it in June 2015 and released it in September.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Basticle posted:

The poster is boring as gently caress but the trailer looks amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvKw1b7bxM

So strange. The movie looks good, but it's a completely different tone from the poster. The trailer makes it appear a little tongue in cheek with a good dose of humor. But the poster clearly is trying to say "straight to video gritty crime drama - stay away!" as much as possible.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BonoMan posted:

So strange. The movie looks good, but it's a completely different tone from the poster. The trailer makes it appear a little tongue in cheek with a good dose of humor. But the poster clearly is trying to say "straight to video gritty crime drama - stay away!" as much as possible.

I feel like from the trailer that it DOES turn into that, after setting itself up as a comedy. It looks Nic Cage's character might have some ulterior motives from that screaming scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Eh, when you put mustachioed Nic Cage on your poster next to Elijah Wood wearing a bulletproof vest, I naturally assume the movie is going to have at least a little bit of black humor to it.

Edit: ^^^ But yea at the end of the trailer there's some John Woo stuff going on so who knows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"Some John Woo stuff" in never a bad thing, unless it's compared to "MORE John Woo stuff"

The trailer has made me interested.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

"Some John Woo stuff" in never a bad thing, unless it's compared to "MORE John Woo stuff"

The trailer has made me interested.

Oh yea, regardless this movie looks awesome. Its just tough to pin down based on the trailer, which is probably also a good thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kiimo posted:

Everything about this movie and its campaign seems forced.
Well, yeah. They're trying to cash in on the success of Deadpool. Look at the trailers before DP came out; they were these grimy grimdark deals full of action-movie stuff. Then once DP happened, they 180'd and we got poo poo like the Bohemian Rhapsody "WORST. HEROES. EVER." trailer, where they're trying to make it look like a team of crazy-wacky people despite the fact that it's been obvious for a long time that's not what it's going to be like. I mean, the "zaniest" thing they had Boomer do was take a swig from a flask while ducking behind a car.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, yeah. They're trying to cash in on the success of Deadpool. Look at the trailers before DP came out; they were these grimy grimdark deals full of action-movie stuff. Then once DP happened, they 180'd and we got poo poo like the Bohemian Rhapsody "WORST. HEROES. EVER." trailer, where they're trying to make it look like a team of crazy-wacky people despite the fact that it's been obvious for a long time that's not what it's going to be like. I mean, the "zaniest" thing they had Boomer do was take a swig from a flask while ducking behind a car.

That trailer was released like a month before Deadpool came out

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but the Deadpool campaign had been gaining crazy amounts of traction well before that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought it looked pretty zany since the first cast photo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

No dude. It's ripping off Deadpool.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

That's when it was ripping off Guardians of the Galaxy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but the Deadpool campaign had been gaining crazy amounts of traction well before that.

But was still firmly in the "This is probably going to suck" phase.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Palpek posted:

Is the tagline seriously just "destroy"?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The good guys need at least three blue people, drat you Jennifer Lawrence

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new suit means a lot less time in the makeup chair if she does go blue though, I guess.

Unless she's Mystiquing her suit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They were probably afraid of blue-man-grouping the good-guy cast so they unblued an Oscar winner. Win-win

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In an unexpected twist we got some cool posters:

Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon:

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Palpek posted:

Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon:

And Kevin Costner as Peter Gabriel

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

morestuff posted:

Oh, right. That's my bad on the timeline, but it's still very clear they were trying to shift things to match the tone of what was going on with Deadpool's campaign.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People said they're ripping off Guardians of the Galaxy until Deadpool came out.

Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the most thematically appropriate song they could have used. The choice is absolutely perfect.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Posting from a meeting where I just found out this was leaked and lordy it's on SA and IMP already.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love Beast's "Rhar, I'm a monster!" pose.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He looks like Eddie Munster on Halloween.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, right. That's my bad on the timeline, but it's still very clear they were trying to shift things to match the tone of what was going on with Deadpool's campaign.

Nah, DEADPOOL has nothing to do with their campaign. It wasn't even tracking all that well before release, so it makes no sense they'd copy the marketing strategy of a movie that was only expected to be a modest success.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Nah, DEADPOOL has nothing to do with their campaign. It wasn't even tracking all that well before release, so it makes no sense they'd copy the marketing strategy of a movie that was only expected to be a modest success.

This is actually not the case, it was tracking great and exceeded the already lofty expectations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-men 3 was really bad but Kelsey Grammar was the best casting possible for Beast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kiimo posted:

This is actually not the case, it was tracking great and exceeded the already lofty expectations.

People were saying like $50 million. That's great for Deadpool, but probably not something DC is paying attention to.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

People were saying like $50 million. That's great for Deadpool, but probably not something DC is paying attention to.

DC might not be but Warner Bros. sure was.

A month before Deadpool came out they were saying 55-60. The weekend before they were saying 80+. Then it took in 135m domestically. I mean, for a couple months the tracking looked like this.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

X-men 3 was really bad but Kelsey Grammar was the best casting possible for Beast.

Definitely. His (probably just voice) cameo at the end of DOFP is great.

I was pretty glad that they went more Wolfman with young Beast in DOFP after he looked like total rear end in First Class.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I am the Beast doing the vampire hiss

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When his character banner comes out it would make for a pretty good photoshop thread.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kiimo posted:

When his character banner comes out it would make for a pretty good photoshop thread.

It'll be tough without the Professor X poopsplosion.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Furry Beast is the worst on-screen superhero look since Fat Martian Manhunter by David Ogden Stiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The human proportions just make all his leaping around stuff look awful too.