Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't give one solitary gently caress about cheevos so meh.

Also regencies have never effected my choice of gov type, as I play monarchies exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also regencies have never effected my choice of gov type, as I play monarchies exclusively.

Ok well, if you are playing Ironman, it is a significant consideration. If I'm starting a campaign that's going to take 10-20 hours, the last thing I need is for there to be a random chance I'll get hosed by a long regency at some point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

I'm not defending regencies, of course they're awful and everything you say about mechanics here is right. My point was simply that Bortles makes a lot of posts about how frustrated he is when he gets stymied by X lovely mechanic in Ironman. When I get a long regency I immediately savescum because that shot is not fun at all. This is because I am not myself an iron man and I'd rather forgo ~cheebs~ than deal with the handful of features in EU4 that everyone agrees suck (like regencies). I'm suggesting maybe Bortles should do the same.
You have a very good point, and I am self aware enough to know that I have been a little bitchy lately. I was super pissed when a mechanic I was unfamiliar with derailed an achievement run I was doing (supporting a vassal's independence does not generate a Call To Arms - you simply end up in the war. It was a bad way to learn, I reacted poorly, and I posted about it)

I am doing Ironman because for the longest time I did exactly what you are saying - just savescum. But then it turned into savescumming often or using the console to fix it. Doing this was making the game less fun for me though because it meant nothing was a challenge and even doing one savescum or fixing one minor bug or mistake with the console made me feel deflated and I ended up quitting that game. Since just before Cossacks I realized the EU4 is in a really awesome spot right now. So many mechanics/features/functionalities are just so great and make the game so much fun. Since savescumming was hurting my enjoyment of the game I started playing Ironman so I could try to get some of these achievements. Playing Ironman has made me so much better at the game and I am enjoying it a ton. The main exception here is Monarchies being awful to play, which has come up often since....so many countries you play as are Monarchies.

You do have a point, though, and I will try to post less complainy stuff. Seriously though, gently caress Regencies/Monarchies.

edit: and yeah now Janissary Decadence is going to fire because there is no way I can conceive of to keep my AT above 70%, and I dont have a Monarch so I do not have a Monarch skill above 5 :derp: So yeah one Regency is going to derail this whole game.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't like them, I just don't dislike them. They honestly don't come up enough to care.
Thank you for your excellent and insightful posts!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 9, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't like them, I just don't dislike them. They honestly don't come up enough to care.

Thank you for your valuable input.

Regencies would be fine for me if being a monarchy had any significant advantages to outweigh them. As it is, all you get are... royal marriages? The potential for personal unions? Those are definitely not worth having no control over your ruler's stats and the risk of not being able to declare war for up to 15 years.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
PUs are actually outrageously broken but almost nobody abuses them that much. Look at some Atwix WCs on the Paradox forum, he has consistently PU'd most of Europe in every game he has posted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bort Bortles posted:

You have a very good point, and I am self aware enough to know that I have been a little bitchy lately. I was super pissed when a mechanic I was unfamiliar with derailed an achievement run I was doing (supporting a vassal's independence does not generate a Call To Arms - you simply end up in the war. It was a bad way to learn, I reacted poorly, and I posted about it)

I am doing Ironman because for the longest time I did exactly what you are saying - just savescum. But then it turned into savescumming often or using the console to fix it. Doing this was making the game less fun for me though because it meant nothing was a challenge and even doing one savescum or fixing one minor bug or mistake with the console made me feel deflated and I ended up quitting that game. Since just before Cossacks I realized the EU4 is in a really awesome spot right now. So many mechanics/features/functionalities are just so great and make the game so much fun. Since savescumming was hurting my enjoyment of the game I started playing Ironman so I could try to get some of these achievements. Playing Ironman has made me so much better at the game and I am enjoying it a ton. The main exception here is Monarchies being awful to play, which has come up often since....so many countries you play as are Monarchies.

You do have a point, though, and I will try to post less complainy stuff. Seriously though, gently caress Regencies/Monarchies.

edit: and yeah now Janissary Decadence is going to fire because there is no way I can conceive of to keep my AT above 70%, and I dont have a Monarch so I do not have a Monarch skill above 5 :derp: So yeah one Regency is going to derail this whole game.

Thank you for your excellent and insightful posts!

Someone has to act as a counterbalance to yours.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I actually don't know how to abuse PUs these days. You can only enforce PUs on someone of your dynasty, so...?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm honoured.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

Ok well, if you are playing Ironman, it is a significant consideration. If I'm starting a campaign that's going to take 10-20 hours, the last thing I need is for there to be a random chance I'll get hosed by a long regency at some point.

I'm not trying to defend Regencies (they are bad and make no sense), but there's not all that many runs that should be disrupted by 15 years of no-war (WCs and similar certainly can be though). This is a game with >350 years of game play after all.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bort Bortles posted:

:thumbsup: a very reasonable post and a good defense of Ironman. Not my thing at all for exactly the reasons you've mentioned - I would rather savescum or console than let a whole campaign be ruined by one of EU4's quirks - but I see where you're coming from.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really they should add more to regencies. Your king gets sick? gently caress you regency till he recovers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not trying to defend Regencies (they are bad and make no sense), but there's not all that many runs that should be disrupted by 15 years of no-war (WCs and similar certainly can be though). This is a game with >350 years of game play after all.

Yeah I have 800 hours in this drat game and I literally cannot think of a time I've been screwed by them that much. I don't think monarchies need to have good to "outweigh" the bad either since switching out of being a monarchy is supposed to be a hard feat to accomplish with tangible rewards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao I had no idea this was possible: I just got an event to let a female take the throne of the Ottoman Empire. She is a 4/4/3 with a Strong claim (my 10 year old heir is 6/3/2 but had an event fire that said he would get a Military Education (but nothing happened)). I am torn about what to do.

Koramei posted:

Yeah I have 800 hours in this drat game and I literally cannot think of a time I've been screwed by them that much. I don't think monarchies need to have good to "outweigh" the bad either since switching out of being a monarchy is supposed to be a hard feat to accomplish with tangible rewards.
Yeah I would not say I have been outright screwed by them at any point but hooooly gently caress are they annoying and dumb. My current example is that it is 1560 and I lost the Janissaries simply because I got a regency and there is no way to keep AT above 70, especially when you are stuck at peace :suicide:.

Bold Robot posted:

:thumbsup: a very reasonable post and a good defense of Ironman. Not my thing at all for exactly the reasons you've mentioned - I would rather savescum or console than let a whole campaign be ruined by one of EU4's quirks - but I see where you're coming from.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bort Bortles posted:

lmao I had no idea this was possible: I just got an event to let a female take the throne of the Ottoman Empire. She is a 4/4/3 with a Strong claim (my 10 year old heir is 6/3/2 but had an event fire that said he would get a Military Education (but nothing happened)). I am torn about what to do.
The heir will get the extra mil points when he comes of age. That event is a little confusing because at first it seems like nothing happens, but the points will show up when they become relevant. I forget how many points it gives but it's at least 2. The 10 year old heir seems like the clear choice to me unless you are in a super hurry to get out of that regency.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure it's two points, and it indeed won't take effect until after they ascend to the throne.

Bort Bortles posted:

lmao I had no idea this was possible: I just got an event to let a female take the throne of the Ottoman Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6sem_Sultan

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have just started playing this again for the first time after the release of the base game, now with all the DLC, and I'm intimidated as hell. Every screen seems to have ten times as many buttons and stats, and I'm pretty sure I don't understand or remember most of the mechanics -- it looks like Victoria II now. Is there like a guide I can look at to get my bearings, preferably one that's up to date with Cossacks

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hope they never "fix" regencies.

I hope you never "post" again. But someday you will, and I am confident regencies will be changed as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have just started playing this again for the first time after the release of the base game, now with all the DLC, and I'm intimidated as hell. Every screen seems to have ten times as many buttons and stats, and I'm pretty sure I don't understand or remember most of the mechanics -- it looks like Victoria II now. Is there like a guide I can look at to get my bearings, preferably one that's up to date with Cossacks

Not really. Just mouse-over everything. If you know the EU base game, you should be fine figuring out the DLC stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

I hope you never "post" again. But someday you will, and I am confident regencies will be changed as well.

Nope. Luckily most things people suggest aren't going to be implemented because they are terrible.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Koramei posted:

It's never really a game ender but losing a bunch of time with no way out is bad from a fun gameplay perspective. There's still barely anything to do during peacetime so being forced to sit on your hands and speed 5 through a decade can really kill your momentum and enjoyment.

The worst regency experience I've had was playing Ming. I was terrified to do anything while westernizing for fear of exploding into rebels, and just before it finished my king died with a newborn heir. 30 years of nothing but clicking events!

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope. Luckily most things people suggest aren't going to be implemented because they are terrible.

I didn't even suggest a change! You're in such a rush to fill the thread with useless contrarian bullshit you didn't even bother to comprehend what you read. Many mechanics in the game have changed for the better since release and I'm sure Paradox will do something interesting with regencies eventually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

I didn't even suggest a change! You're in such a rush to fill the thread with useless contrarian bullshit you didn't even bother to comprehend what you read. Many mechanics in the game have changed for the better since release and I'm sure Paradox will do something interesting with regencies eventually.

What are you talking about. I never said you did. I wasn't the one in a rush to post it seems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

The heir will get the extra mil points when he comes of age. That event is a little confusing because at first it seems like nothing happens, but the points will show up when they become relevant. I forget how many points it gives but it's at least 2. The 10 year old heir seems like the clear choice to me unless you are in a super hurry to get out of that regency.
Thanks for the info, I stuck with the 10 y/o hier and he got his points when he came of age.

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure it's two points, and it indeed won't take effect until after they ascend to the throne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6sem_Sultan
It was indeed two points. And yeah I am sort-of familiar with the history behind it but in all my time playing as the Ottomans I never saw that event or even heard about it happening to other people.

Yashichi posted:

Just ignore him. He is being contrary for no other reason other than to be contrary. There is a reason he has red text.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am not being contrarian, have ever considered you may be wrong?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one is arguing that they are "right". We are having a discussion about how no one except for you likes a mechanic in the game this thread is about and you're just being ridiculous. Sorry if my posting bothers you, just put me on ignore if it does. Or if you dont like what the thread is talking about and dont have anything constructive to add (and "Luckily most things people suggest aren't going to be implemented because they are terrible." doesnt count) dont post? Or dont read the thread?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have no issues with anyone posting here and am just doing the same thing you are so i don't see your issue. I don't really care if you all like or disike a mechanic it's not a popularity contest. Besides the thread is fine as long as it's not discussing changing game mechanics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have no issues with anyone posting here and am just doing the same thing you are so i don't see your issue. I don't really care if you all like or disike a mechanic it's not a popularity contest. Besides the thread is fine as long as it's not discussing changing game mechanics.
Right but what am I/we "wrong" about? Am I not allowed to dislike a mechanic (that everyone except for you also dislikes) and discuss options we would like to see instead?

Bold Robot called me out on complaining a bunch lately, and he was right. I dont understand what you are going on about :

CharlestheHammer posted:

Regencies are fine tho.
~Nothing constructive here...

CharlestheHammer posted:

~If they honestly dont come up enough to care, why are you posting about it?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hope they never "fix" regencies.
~Contrarian bullcrap

CharlestheHammer posted:

~A lot of people that post here care about achievements. You dont. Thats okay.

CharlestheHammer posted:

~What?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really they should add more to regencies. Your king gets sick? gently caress you regency till he recovers.
~Contrarian bullcrap

CharlestheHammer posted:

~Contrarian bullcrap

CharlestheHammer posted:

~Please quote who you are responding to and explain what they may be wrong about.

We're not sitting here wailing at Paradox to add our "suggestions" to the game, we are discussing what we would love to see added or changed in the future and you are posting....pretty much nothing. Three or four people have called you out on being contrarian and obtuse and yet you keep posting. If you do not like what we are posting about stop reading the thread, or, I dont know, add something constructive like everyone else does? I'm not your dad so it doesnt make a big difference to me either way but seriously, look at your posts and try to explain to me what we are supposed to be taking away from them?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 10, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh you don't know what contrarian means, that makes a lot more sense. Also no one has constructively posted about regencies. It's repeating "I don't like it" over and over again. Realistically you can't fix regencies without adding a regent character which goes completely against the design of EU4 as its not a character based game like CK2. This problem arises out of any attempt to fix this problem outside of cutting it completely.

That is why it won't change there is no good way of fixing it without neutering it to the point of pointlessness. Like a lot of thoughts posted here on game mechanics it's half baked at best.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh you don't know what contrarian means, that makes a lot more sense. Also no one has constructively posted about regencies. It's repeating "I don't like it" over and over again. Realistically you can't fix regencies without adding a regent character which goes completely against the design of EU4 as its not a character based game like CK2. This problem arises out of any attempt to fix this problem outside of cutting it completely.

That is why it won't change there is no good way of fixing it without neutering it to the point of pointlessness. Like a lot of thoughts posted here on game mechanics it's half baked at best.
Thank you. I wont argue semantics about the meaning of contrarian. I think you have good points about it being hard to fix. I am curious, though: what do regencies accomplish that would mean a change would "neuter" the mechanic?

edit: I ask because the general consensus of the people that post in this thread is that Regencies are unfun, artificially limiting to the player, and a-historical (in a game based very closely on history). Which is why it keeps coming up.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think a lot of good and constructive ideas have come up on the topic

1) Aristocratic ideas mitigating the penalties of regencies
2) Different government types of monarchies with different succession mechanics (like Polish elective monarchy or the new-ish theocracy design)
3) More events or missions that can improve the stats of long-reigning monarchs or their heirs

I've heard these and more ideas in the thread that are all some degree of workable and would do something to stop monarchies from being the most stale and least powerful government types in the game despite being the most stable and dominant government type of the era the game takes place in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

I think a lot of good and constructive ideas have come up on the topic

1) Aristocratic ideas mitigating the penalties of regencies
2) Different government types of monarchies with different succession mechanics (like Polish elective monarchy or the new-ish theocracy design)
3) More events or missions that can improve the stats of long-reigning monarchs or their heirs

I've heard these and more ideas in the thread that are all some degree of workable and would do something to stop monarchies from being the most stale and least powerful government types in the game despite being the most stable and dominant government type of the era the game takes place in.

1. You can't mitigate the penalties as the issue most take is the no war thing which is pretty binary.
2.this doesn't really do anything besides effectively eliminating regencies in an over complicated way.
3.this doesn't have much to do with regencies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've suggested numerous times that they change it to being able to declare war during a regency at the cost of stability.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've suggested numerous times that they change it to being able to declare war during a regency at the cost of stability.

Wiz wanted that as well. Luckily i am in charge, so we can keep the rules as they have been for over a decade now!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

pdxjohan posted:

Wiz wanted that as well. Luckily i am in charge, so we can keep the rules as they have been for over a decade now!

Are there any plans to at least rebalance monarchies so they're not downright inferior government forms at least? I personally don't mind regencies, but monarchies have a lot of downsides where other gov forms feel like they only have perks.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

What if regencies had above average stats?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

pdxjohan posted:

without wiz we are all in a regency council now. RIP Wiz.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
New DD about sea combat: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-10th-march-2016.912904/
Really like the sound of the sea mission changes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What if regencies gave a discount to upgrading provinces instead?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Are there any plans to at least rebalance monarchies so they're not downright inferior government forms at least? I personally don't mind regencies, but monarchies have a lot of downsides where other gov forms feel like they only have perks.
Republicanism is the light, and Johan wants us all to understand this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think a strong way to rebalance monarchies would to be remove the stabhit for when your monarch dies with a Strong claim heir, and introduce circumstances in which monarch death can lead to stab loss for non-monarchies (as someone had suggested a while ago, for example, republics forced to hold snap elections in wartime should have trouble). You could even set up a hierarchy going like "questionable succession" with -2 stab loss, "unstable succession" with -1 stab loss, "stable succession" with no stab loss. For monarchies that would be no heir or weak claim heir for questionable, medium claim for unstable and strong claim for stable, for republics it would be snap election in wartime for questionable, snap election in peacetime for unstable, and regular election for stable.

But right now monarchies alone have to suffer through stabloss on monarch death, which is a constant drain on paper mana other gov forms simply never have to deal with.

• Locked thread