Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bushiz posted:

Stocks not working with rapid fire is some bullshit

They don't!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I just realized a superior auto loader is just a buncha ammo clips duct taped together.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Does anyone know what the setting to tweak is to reduce the number of rookies the game adds to the recruiting pool per month? Having a list of 60 people is silly. More importantly it runs my pool out way quicker by forcing everyone to be rookies I am not going to recruit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

aw man these look great

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's the dumbest poo poo I've seen in weeks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought I had the market for dumb cosmetic poo poo cornered. :negative:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Digirat posted:

That's the kind of thing a person who doesn't kill aliens with bats would say :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I thought I had the market for dumb cosmetic poo poo cornered. :negative:

And one of the pics looks like they've got bats for rangers too. I'm so sorry man!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

You gotta get out more man.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digirat posted:

:xcom:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

And one of the pics looks like they've got bats for rangers too. I'm so sorry man!

Oh god, I havent seen that. Link?

At least I have a few backup weapons in the works.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What are the stats on that little fucker gonna be?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shred armor, cause panic, high crit. :v:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Nice nice nice.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

aw man these look great

I love these. Absolutely ridiculous. If only we could repaint the Skyranger to look like a clown car.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the best 'cosmeticy' thing 2k could do is more voice packs. They have the proper filters and all, and I really want proper Russian/Chinese/Japanese voices. And I wouldn't mind basically every brand of English possible. More UK accents, more American, accented English....go wild, and it'd be the biggest thing they could provide that's cosmetic that fans with mods couldn't easily do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

I think the best 'cosmeticy' thing 2k could do is more voice packs. They have the proper filters and all, and I really want proper Russian/Chinese/Japanese voices. And I wouldn't mind basically every brand of English possible. More UK accents, more American, accented English....go wild, and it'd be the biggest thing they could provide that's cosmetic that fans with mods couldn't easily do.

Its also super expensive and probably not on the table.

Rip :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zore posted:

Its also super expensive and probably not on the table.

Rip :(

Sadly yeah. :smith:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I did a supply train raid and the screen at the end said I killed 9/10 of the enemies. My guess is that it was a turret that I missed?

Kind of annoying because most of the times you encounter turrets, they're on missions where you extract your guys and can't take corpses.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 10, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like that at least one of those looked like a new chest piece for an EXO suit, which I appreciate.

More of interest to me is if they have new faces.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dr Christmas posted:

I did a supply train raid and the screen at the end said I killed 9/10 of the enemies. My guess is that it was a turret that I missed?

Thats always been my interpretation, yeah.

edit: Speaking of image mods, has anyone tried http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/141/ ?

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eimi posted:

it'd be the biggest thing they could provide that's cosmetic that fans with mods couldn't easily do.

Why can't mods do this? Have you seen the number of voice packs out there?

I think there's a bug that has to do with loading too many of them at a time right now but that's a fixable problem.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, I meant to ask something. When I was doing my first playthrough, I (and the aliens) could jump through the red laser windows on alien facilities, but lately, no such luck. Was that a bug they fixed or am I having a bug now? Now I have to go around to doors or blow up walls, prioritizing explosives even more than I already do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god, I havent seen that. Link?

At least I have a few backup weapons in the works.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

That's just the regular sword, with weapon colour set to black. Only the grip tape changes, handle has always looked like that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

jfood posted:

That's just the regular sword, with weapon colour set to black. Only the grip tape changes, handle has always looked like that.

Oh, good! Never mind then. Sorry for the false alarm SynthOrange!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Whatever, bring on even more customization options because I'm still in love with playing dress-up with my disposable operatives:

Is there beer in the ocean?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Why can't mods do this? Have you seen the number of voice packs out there?

I think there's a bug that has to do with loading too many of them at a time right now but that's a fixable problem.

Most voice packs are just rips of already recorded audio. Actually hiring foreign voice actors would either be expensive or, if fan-made, sound amateur. I guess maybe the best way would be to find and butcher foreign movies or games for existing audio? Idk, I have everyone speak English because the concept of a tactical squad that sounds like the Tower of Babel is idiotic.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RBA Starblade posted:

Stocks are weird. They don't apply to pistols, except, for some reason, the first shot in fanfire.

However, they DO work with the skulljack!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Locke Dunnegan posted:

This is going to sound annoyed or condescending...

I just don't get how you'd be interested in mods and post on Something Awful but have no idea that Steam Workshop or Nexus Mods exists. :psyduck:

Because it is condescending you gently caress.

Have you tried jumping on there and looking for specific things? It's loving terrible. Every single loving mod is rated 5 so long as it works. I don't want new classes, enemies, or anime voice packs. But I do want UI enhancements and bug fixes. Go ahead. Show me how to find a list of only ui enhancements on the work shop. You can't. There's no general categories, and you can't search for broad terms like UI without getting unrelated crap.

You could try the tag system but it only work if people tag things but nobody does.

So I have to sort through all the preset lists for "top rated" over x time copyright infringing lore breaking poo poo and Hatsune miku voice packs, and Hatsune miku hair, and Hatsune miku bgm packs, just to find loving poo poo like "too much hit breaks crit" but nobody knows it loving exists because it's pushed down the feed by a bunch if weebs 5-staring Hatsune miku recording studios that replace the shadow chamber.

I have limited play time, I haven't even skull jacked a codex yet. So the idea of sitting down and wading through this poo poo intend of playing, then wasting my time by installing 5-star but potentially broken when used with other mods junk is just not a good deal.

However the fact that I can hop in here and check out some recommendations and see lists of packs people use together, and ask questions is awesome. Especially without condescending assholes whining about it.

The best stuff too is when we get guys posting what nmarebfly did and sorts the recommendations by type. Stuff like the skyrim mod thread op is really cool too and as time goes on hopefully we'll come up with similar master lists for the op. Then people won't ask right in the thread so much and I can ignore the Hatsune miku autopsy mods and go right for the UI, bug fixes, and Mio Akiyama mods that I loving need.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Incidentally, with the hit eating into criticals nonsense (whichever programmer let that through needs to be demoted to tea boy) you're far, far better off just installing the 'Enemy Unknown Aim Rolls' mod rather than the specific mod to fix that issue, because putting everything into a d100 roll is pretty dim, and this mod fixes the issue by making it not an issue.

If a guy has 10% chance to hit, and 10% chance to crit, he should be critting on 10% of his hits, not 100% of his hits. So making a hit roll and a crit roll off the hit just makes sense.

Relatively balanced, since everybody gets less crits (except your ranger, who is still more than capable of force feeding them buckshot), and has the added bonus of slightly reducing Extreme Archon Bullshit (or dodge, if you use that term).

It's probably been mentioned a million times, but since the issue has come up again with this hit munching crapola, here's a million and one.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 31, 2022

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Funny you should say that, I'm suddenly getting that behaviour on a new heavily-modded campaign on Legend as well. The first guerilla pop of the game with three events in progress, and still getting one choice to counter (already done the first 'no choice' one).

I've removed a few mods this time around, and only added a couple - and the one addition that seems like it might be it is : Additional Tactical Dark Events. I wonder if it's that?

vvv Doh! Of course. Although I've expanded to two territories. Eh, never mind.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 10, 2016

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

splifyphus posted:

So, I'm playing a new legendary run modded out the rear end. I've just gotten mag weapons, am about to get plasma grenades. I haven't contacted any territories yet, but the avatar clock is close to the countdown so I'm gearing up for the blacksite.

Every single time a guerrilla ops mission has come up the game hasn't given me a choice of targets/rewards. I get one mission, no choice. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be getting three options by now, there are three dark events coming and they're serious. I can't think of a mod that has anything to do with this, and googling doesn't give me anything. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not ok with getting hit by random dark events I can't do anything about.

It's one guerilla op per territory, if you haven't expanded you'll only get one option.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

itskage posted:

You could try the tag system but it only work if people tag things but nobody does.
I don't know about anyone else but when I try setting tags they don't actually get applied, I think it's a known issue with the devkit.

The workshop is a loving shitshow though, no disagreements there. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Prop Wash posted:

Most voice packs are just rips of already recorded audio. Actually hiring foreign voice actors would either be expensive or, if fan-made, sound amateur. I guess maybe the best way would be to find and butcher foreign movies or games for existing audio? Idk, I have everyone speak English because the concept of a tactical squad that sounds like the Tower of Babel is idiotic.

While ripping voice packs from other media is always fun, one thing Xcom 2 could really use is accented English (or accented other languages). It fits narratively and makes sense: having everyone speak the same 10 voices of American English is boring, but accented English reinforces the international aspect of Xcom without leading to the conclusion that every Italian in your squad is yelling into a void.

And it's very hard to get that on a good, professional level. Either the devs use actual voice actors who probably don't speak the language whose accent they want to emulate, so you get some caricature faux mess (+ as you said, it's hella expensive for such a small touch), or you need to ask foreign fans to mod it in, with audio quality all over the place.

What you could do is find Anglophone movies that feature characters talking accented English and rip their lines. I'm unsure how feasible that is.

But just adding new voice lines in languages other than English is actually not a huge problem with this method. The vast majority of games are localized in other languages, so any European could just, for example, install Mass Effect in his native tongue and rip the characters' combat voice lines from there and upload it on the workshop. (Legal issues notwithstanding)

For example, there's a Shepard voice pack on the Workshop. If I knew how to mod I'd be tempted to just sift through my games and rip the same lines in French and German. You could do the same with the Call of Duty games which usually have these localisations as well, and so on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm. I may need to do some work on this one.

OH OH THE STUNLANCER ANIMATION WOULD ACTUALLY BE PERFECT ...if I didnt have to edit the sounds out augh

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 10, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LonsomeSon posted:

However, they DO work with the skulljack!

I thought it just did 2 damage on a miss. Neat!

I think my EW MECCOM run may just be 3 mecs, 3 shivs, and rotate a soldier in and out so I don't get hosed on the base defense. Was there ever a mod to get it to include SHIVs in the defense?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SynthOrange posted:

Hmmm. I may need to do some work on this one.

OH OH THE STUNLANCER ANIMATION WOULD ACTUALLY BE PERFECT ...if I didnt have to edit the sounds out augh

Also having a broken bottle on your back is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
having the bottle rest in the grenade slot or pistol position would look pretty cool