Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Sorry you guys who don't use them have ugly loving farms but that's ok im not shaming you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

mcvey posted:

Am I the only one that uses fences

Normal wood fences are simply the worst. Stone barely any better, but I'll get around to trying hardwood fences to put all my livestock in prison at some point for easier petting.

I still try to keep my fences up, because I like being pretty.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Freakbox posted:

Question 2: I'm in summer now, and I can't find Demetrius. Where the hell is Demetrius. :gonk:
Reading his schedule from the game code here. Like before, higher rows should take precedence:
- Rain: In his home all day.
- Friday: Home until 4PM, then at the saloon for the rest of the night.
- Winter: At home all day (same as Rain schedule)
- Fall: Out on the mountains taking notes from 11AM to 7PM. Home otherwise.
- Summer: In town at the fountain from 11AM to 7PM. Home otherwise.
- Spring: On the mountain from 11AM to 7PM. Home otherwise.

His position and activity on the mountain varies slightly, but the map isn't very big so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The iron bars is what gets me. I'm still in year one and haven't put in a ton of time mining. Iron isn't exactly scarce but I have tools to upgrade and things to build.

I like crab pots in concept and I'm fine runnin' down to the beach on days where I forage but no, I'm in no way spending 3 iron bars on those things right now and probably ever
Just use them in your farm ponds, they work exactly as well there as they do in the sea.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

so in the new patch they changed something with grandpa's shrine, post year 2 the patch notes said if you already were judged go there for a 'new opportunity', checked it out and there was a diamond shaped hole.. which putting a diamond inside just caused the candles to go out?? not sure it's working properly or maybe something else would happen after going to sleep, but I'm not playing through a full day right now

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Indecisive posted:

so in the new patch they changed something with grandpa's shrine, post year 2 the patch notes said if you already were judged go there for a 'new opportunity', checked it out and there was a diamond shaped hole.. which putting a diamond inside just caused the candles to go out?? not sure it's working properly or maybe something else would happen after going to sleep, but I'm not playing through a full day right now

I think by having them go out you will get rejudged. Perhaps that night, or maybe at the end of a new year

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Harmburger posted:

I think by having them go out you will get rejudged. Perhaps that night, or maybe at the end of a new year

That makes sense

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Coolguye posted:

Just use them in your farm ponds, they work exactly as well there as they do in the sea.

so not very well then

zing

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Green Dam posted:

Normal wood fences are simply the worst. Stone barely any better, but I'll get around to trying hardwood fences to put all my livestock in prison at some point for easier petting.

I still try to keep my fences up, because I like being pretty.

Just looked it up. Hardwood fences degrade as well. That's crap.

I didn't want to use mods this game but I think I might just have to for that.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Four of the (five) things you need for the Crab Pot Bundle (Cockles, Mussels, Oysters and Clams) can just be found on the beach. And Crabs can be found by killing hermit crabs in the mine.

The only crab pots I've ever used were the ones given to me by completing the Crab Pot Bundle in the first place. I've used them maybe four times?

That's... not great game design. I know that this is just a chill farming game, but between that, the expense of early animals, and the sheer brokenness of artisan goods, the game could use a balance pass.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Met posted:

Just looked it up. Hardwood fences degrade as well. That's crap.

I didn't want to use mods this game but I think I might just have to for that.

Yeah, fences degrading is just kind of an unnecessary layer of tedium, there's so much daily upkeep to do all over the farm (you might say the entire game is that, in fact) that I don't see what fence repair adds really. It's nice that spouses can repair them for you, but for that to happen you would have to leave them in disrepair to begin with and bleh. It'd be nice if you could just pick the fence you wanted to look good, instead of going hardwood because it's the one that hardly ever needs repair.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recommended way to get irridium? I'm in Winter of year 1 and have gold everything, but can't seem to get much irridium at all :(.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
New patch evidently made Iridium much more common. It released a few hours ago.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing a good increase in Iridium Ore drops in the skull dungeon, and even saw a couple of ore nodes. I'm about to make an Iridium Ring! :hellyeah:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Oh good, I'd only seen one Iridium node in the two and a half years I've played, and that was in the Quarry of all places.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I don't know how this happened, but the ancient seed (plantable version) has apparently vanished from my inventory

Is there a way to cheat it back in?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Winter is really starting to drag for me, although that may just be burnout on the game itself. I hit the bottom of the mines in like the second week, so there wasn't a lot to do other. It feels like winter needs a special thing you can do during it... maybe like some sort of infinite, really hard dungeon or something?

How much do subsequent years change the game, anyway? I set a goal of getting to three to honor my grandfather's grave, but I'm starting to think it might be hard stretching out to that. It's been insanely fun so far, but I'm starting to feel like I'm reaching a saturation point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is there any place I can find a potato if I forgot to put one in for the bundle during spring? It's the only Spring Crop Bundle item I'm missing. Does either the Travelling Wagon or the Mines have any, anywhere?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any place I can find a potato if I forgot to put one in for the bundle during spring? It's the only Spring Crop Bundle item I'm missing. Does either the Travelling Wagon or the Mines have any, anywhere?

The wagon can roll it, but it's a pure luck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Traveling wagon sells all kinds of crops, but which ones are available on any given instance are random, so you could easily end up waiting just as long.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

For those with fences (like me) who hate that they break so easily, there is a mod for that. http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/storm-handsome-matts-mods-junimo-deposit-anywhere-calendar-anywhere-durable-fences.107385/

You might need the mod manager, which can be found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/21/

there's also STORM: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/storm-modding-api-alpha-updated-for-1-0-5.108484/

Edit: So far no issues with my game with the mod. I'm using the mod manager and so far haven't had any broken fences, and no crashes. There is a little hang in the mines, though.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 10, 2016

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!
Has anyone had a situation where their fruit trees just.... stop growing? I planted two trees halfway through winter, the two spring ones, and unlike normal trees, fruit trees DO grow during winter. However, while one tree did grow, the other got about halfway there, then just... stopped. Come around the 16th of spring I had apricots but not cherries, and the cherry tree just stayed that way the entirety of spring. There was absolutely no blockages, nothing near them, etc, so I am completely stumped.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

sector_corrector posted:

Winter is really starting to drag for me, although that may just be burnout on the game itself. I hit the bottom of the mines in like the second week, so there wasn't a lot to do other. It feels like winter needs a special thing you can do during it... maybe like some sort of infinite, really hard dungeon or something?

You should fix the bus. It has what you want.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Uh well, awesome. I guess I should really be reading the patch notes!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Gold axe is super sweet. Clearcut my planted forest taking half the farm in only a day or so

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endrion posted:

Has anyone had a situation where their fruit trees just.... stop growing? I planted two trees halfway through winter, the two spring ones, and unlike normal trees, fruit trees DO grow during winter. However, while one tree did grow, the other got about halfway there, then just... stopped. Come around the 16th of spring I had apricots but not cherries, and the cherry tree just stayed that way the entirety of spring. There was absolutely no blockages, nothing near them, etc, so I am completely stumped.

Pickaxe the squares around it, I've run into a largely-harmless bug where invisible pine/maple/acorn seeds will spawn on an occupied tile and not grow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When planting saplings, it looks like you can put them on either normal or tilled ground. Does this mean you should put them on tilled ground with fertilizer/speed-gro on it?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is getting the glittering boulder removed worth the time it takes? I'm gradually getting better at the fishing minigame but really dislike it, so I don't wanna pour hours into finishing the fish tank bundle only to discover it opens a new super-fishing area or something.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Just started the game, so I'm still figuring out the controls. I accidentally plonked a chest down in a terrible spot, how do I move it again? Right clicking just opens it, and left clicking does nothing.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Omi no Kami posted:

Is getting the glittering boulder removed worth the time it takes? I'm gradually getting better at the fishing minigame but really dislike it, so I don't wanna pour hours into finishing the fish tank bundle only to discover it opens a new super-fishing area or something.

If you're me you'll never find out anyway because simultaneous events still aren't fixed for some reason.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is there a way to make sure a crop I pick up is higher quality? It seems that they are lowest quality, and I really don't want to wait until my 2nd summer to get the quality melon crop bundle.

It's not based on when it's able to be harvested, but when I pick it up, isn't it?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

No. It's the shittiest reward there is. It's worth finishing to finish the community center, but the reward blows.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Dad Jokes posted:

Just started the game, so I'm still figuring out the controls. I accidentally plonked a chest down in a terrible spot, how do I move it again? Right clicking just opens it, and left clicking does nothing.

Hit it with your axe or pickaxe. Make sure it's empty

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dad Jokes posted:

You have to fully empty it first, and then hit it with your pickaxe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the fish tank reward in the center does kind of suck and the spawn rate of those ore spots in the river should probably be buffed a bit. if nothing else it's nice to finish it because you'll want to finish it all eventually.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Omi no Kami posted:

It just unlocks panning, which is literally "here's a pan, if there's a shiny bit of water, use the pan on it for free ore or whatever".

IAmTheRad posted:

Is there a way to make sure a crop I pick up is higher quality? It seems that they are lowest quality, and I really don't want to wait until my 2nd summer to get the quality melon crop bundle.

It's random, but fertilizer improves your chances of higher quality crops. Just plant as many as you can.

Dad Jokes posted:

Whack it with a pickaxe when it's empty.

e:fb

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, thanks guys- there really isn't that much else I can use the stamina on now that my offensively gigantic sprinkler array is set up, but it's good to know that I'm not missing out :)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Coucho Marx posted:

It's random, but fertilizer improves your chances of higher quality crops. Just plant as many as you can.

So, out of 35 crops, and all of them being regular, without even 1 silver, all planted on fertilizer is working as intended?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

It's not based on when it's able to be harvested, but when I pick it up, isn't it?

If you're going for the 5 quality crops, plant a bunch at the start of the season (I did 40) and then another set after you've harvested those. Only plant them on fertilizer, and only harvest them if the fortune teller says you have better than neutral luck that day.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Coucho Marx posted:

It just unlocks panning, which is literally "here's a pan, if there's a shiny bit of water, use the pan on it for free ore or whatever".

If the spots showed up 3x-4x more often and/or were usable multiple times, it would be worth it. But as it is, it's really, really not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Panning is fairly underwhelming. I haven't carried the pan around for probably three seasons already.