Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Leper Residue posted:

Is Hyper Dimension Neptunia V: Rebirth really all that great? It's got an overwhelmingly positive rating on steam. I got bored with the first one rather quickly, but I liked Fairy Fencer F until I got to spoiler: time travel and the hero got more serious.
It really, really depends on if you can stand the style of humor. I find it incredibly cringey so I can't stand the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I liked how in FFF the hero just didn't take anything seriously and just kind of bro'd it up with some of the characters and called everything dumb. But if it's just memes and bad music I think I'll pass for now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Operation Abyss is on the Vita and that's pretty cool, but it ends on a sequel setup and god knows if we'll get that over here.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

al-azad posted:

e: I'm about to start playing Neptunia PP as someone who unironically likes Princess Maker what am I in for?

From what I've heard the actual idol-mangement-sim parts of the game are incredibly easy to get through and mostly just serve to break up the dialogue with something resembling gameplay. So, uh, I hope you like the Neptunia characters because they're really the main selling point of the game. (This is true of all the Neptunia games, but is especially true of the spinoffs.)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It really, really depends on if you can stand the style of humor. I find it incredibly cringey so I can't stand the games.

If it's anything like Neptunia 2, I wouldn't even call it "humor". Nothing in that game's writing resembles a joke. It feels more like I'm standing on the edge of an anime club meeting and everyone is cackling hysterically at "in-jokes" and every so often I hear a word I recognize like "bukkake" and I'm just more confused and not entertained and slightly concerned that I am witnessing something illegal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neptunia is, without irony, basically Anime Family Guy. That isn't even necessarily an insult so much as it is exactly the humor it is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If it's anything like Neptunia 2, I wouldn't even call it "humor". Nothing in that game's writing resembles a joke. It feels more like I'm standing on the edge of an anime club meeting and everyone is cackling hysterically at "in-jokes" and every so often I hear a word I recognize like "bukkake" and I'm just more confused and not entertained and slightly concerned that I am witnessing something illegal.

gently caress the anime police

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

gently caress the anime police

gladly

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I decided instead of buying anything new to play through the Phantasy Star series, using the Sega Ages translated versions. Never played PS1 before so this should be interesting.

A talking cat joined my party. I think I love him.

I am highly suspicious the artist for this game is one who worked on the Tales games? The portraits look pretty similar to some of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God I love the reason Myau couldn't use the ashline on Odin/Tyron. It's so stupid and it's great.

Still wish that remake had a map function though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't do much without hands :v:

There is a map function, sort of. You use the ATLAS item and it gives you one for 100 steps.

Both of these should work fine in PCSX2 right? I can't figure out how to get it to let me take screenshots though, F8 does nothing even after creating the snaps folder.
Still trying to figure out the ideal graphics settings to upscale this, it looks pretty good now other than what looks like some odd haloing around sprites.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can't do much without hands :v:
Or CAN you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There is a map function, sort of. You use the ATLAS item and it gives you one for 100 steps.

Wow I must have missed that. Oops.

quote:

Both of these should work fine in PCSX2 right? I can't figure out how to get it to let me take screenshots though, F8 does nothing even after creating the snaps folder.
Still trying to figure out the ideal graphics settings to upscale this, it looks pretty good now other than what looks like some odd haloing around sprites.

Neither have any issues - the sprite edges is a thing that happens when you upscale, I think there's a hack in the GPU plugin to help allieviate it, but in general stick to whole multipliers (2x or 4x not 1.5x or something) and that should keep it to bit of a minimum. Also fix your aspect ratio :v:

As for screenshots, if it's not saving any check the console log window or just use something else (Steam, Irfanview, ShareX, Afterburner, Win10 GameDVR, etc).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've never played a Phantasy Star game but those screenshots look really nice and I'm tempted. Is it a remake or what?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

Anybody ever play the old SSI game The Summoning? It was an isometric RPG that cast you as the savior thrown in the Labyrinth of the Shadoweaver (awesome name), and must defeat that evil sorcerer in order to save the world. The labyrinth is enormous, with over 15 giant floors (if I remember correctly), with quest objectives that send you to multiple floors to complete. Spells are casted using a system that requires memorizing hand signs and using them at the right time. The great thing is if you already know the hand signals for a spell, you don't need to find a parchment telling you so! The labyrinth is full of NPC's, some who will help you and others who will attack you. Still others will try to get you to do their dirty work for them and betray you in the end. There are hundreds of traps, including some real dick moves like teleporting you into a room that has no exit. Time to reload!

I remember the manual had a really long editors note as well, which is something weird to remember, but there it is. It also had a short story that served as the intro to the game - it can be found http://www.jaelus.com/thesummoning/.

Anyway, if you can find a copy and use Dosbox, it's a gem of a game that I think sometimes is criminally overlooked when thinking about past RPG's.

The real legacy to this is the utterly fantastic Intro/character creation sequence complete with the excellent original musical score leading into the first 30 seconds of the game---then all of that grandeur fades to absolutely nothing, music included for god knows why, until it comes roaring back for the various cool ending sequences. The entire meat of the game is a lo-fi punishing crawler that is full of deviousness.

There has never been a game that has made a stranger decision on why and how to budget and "implement" their art/animation/music budget to my knowledge---it was like they only had the fleetest of access to some serious talent on all fronts. Though, I've not played the other 2 games somewhat connected to it, one from earlier and one afterwards whose names escape me.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

Neptunia is, without irony, basically Anime Family Guy. That isn't even necessarily an insult so much as it is exactly the humor it is.

please don't describe it in a way that makes it sound like it might be fun to play

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

please don't describe it in a way that makes it sound like it might be fun to play

If you like that style of humor and like a bunch of anime and video game injokes then you're honestly pretty likely to enjoy it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hubris.height posted:

that's not what he was doi-oh

ooooooooh

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Verranicus posted:

I've never played a Phantasy Star game but those screenshots look really nice and I'm tempted. Is it a remake or what?

Playstation 2 remake, part of Sega Ages 2500 series. Along with the translation patch: http://www.pscave.com/psg1/download/
Be aware that it's still a very classic style game, inventory management is a bit clunky and dungeons are in first person. It's pretty fast though, so a lot of it's problems are more forgivable.

Phantasy Star 2 remake is also translated now (on the same website), but is listed as being a 'beta' so could have some issues. I hear this remake makes the dungeons a lot more tolerable than the original Genesis release, but I haven't played it myself yet.

Don't play Phantasy Star 3 at all, it's terrible. Or if you do, just be prepared to turbo the poo poo out of it because it's insanely slow and bad. There was a re-release at some point that added the ability to change encounter rate and some other stuff but I don't recall which one it was.

Phantasy Star 4 is on Genesis and you can emulate it easily, it's very very good and if you just want to play one game in the series it should be this one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

how is persona the answer

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Incredibly poo poo. There's a reason it wasn't in P3P.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

how is persona the answer

Just read an LP of it, it's got like 20 minutes of cutscenes for a ton of bullshit fights

Like off the top of my head I remember that it disables your compendium, so fusing is gonna be tedious as poo poo

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It might be tolerable with a compendium but it lacks one so gently caress it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i hvent really played persona 3 much either and i bought FES for ps3, so i just thought i'd ask

will avoid, thx

ive only played p4. is the first one any good? i got a vita so i could play the remake too

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 9, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i hvent really played persona 3 much either and i bought FES for ps3, so i just thought i'd ask

will avoid, thx

ive only played p4. is the first one any good? i got a vita so i could play the remake too

persona 1 has cool atmosphere but it has not aged well and the remake doesn't fix that, plus it has a new soundtrack that doesn't even really fit the tone of the game and replacing it with the old one is a pain because it doesn't let you select which soundtrack you want like persona 2 does

persona 2 has much more bearable combat, but it's also really really really easy and just kinda tedious. some of the best writing in the series, though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 9, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i bought nocturne instead so i could use some tips

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i bought nocturne instead so i could use some tips

Magic is overall good but the optimal builds are physical-based.

Buffs and debuffs are extremely strong and you should make sure to use them regularly.

It's probably worthwhile to look up the available skills for the main character so you can plot what you want to keep and level up.

If you're only going for one ending the True Demon ending has the most content but otherwise don't stress out about it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

will avoid, thx

If, once you beat Persona 3, you feel like you would enjoy playing a harder version of that game, boiled down to its basic components, then the Answer is for you. It features some of the toughest challenges you'll find the Persona games (although P3P did have some super hard bonus battles IIRC), and does things like forcing you to use certain (or rather a certain) party members and limiting your ability to access the compendium or resummon old Personas. It's got a lot of neat handicaps that force you to explore the game's mechanics thoroughly, which is quite nice, but it is...ballcrushingly hard.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Can I play nocturne on my PSTV? I bought it with my ps3 but had to sell that and now I kind of want to play it but have no way to do so from what I can tell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Leper Residue posted:

Can I play nocturne on my PSTV? I bought it with my ps3 but had to sell that and now I kind of want to play it but have no way to do so from what I can tell.

No. The pstv can play ps1 and PSP games but not ps2 games

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
my experience with the first persona 2 game so far has been that fights take an eternity, at least up to the first boss

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

hubris.height posted:

my experience with the first persona 2 game so far has been that fights take an eternity, at least up to the first boss

I don't know what you're playing it on, but apparently the PSP version improved/streamlined the battles so that they were quicker. So you could either be playing a better version, or you're lucky that it isn't twice as slow as it already is :thumbsup:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nocturne is one of those games that I always told myself I was going to play, if only to see the story

I always wanted to get to the True Demon ending because I saw it on youtube and even completely without context it was baller as gently caress

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Paperhouse posted:

I don't know what you're playing it on, but apparently the PSP version improved/streamlined the battles so that they were quicker. So you could either be playing a better version, or you're lucky that it isn't twice as slow as it already is :thumbsup:

the latter

its not a complaint, just surprised how slow the boss fight against the principal was

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm almost done with final fantasy vii. it's a good game, and cloud is actually a really interesting protagonist

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

cloud is incredibly cool. the way people misremember cloud feels bizarre but i guess it's to be expected when every game/movie he appeared in afterwards character assassinated him

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Nocturne is one of those games that I always told myself I was going to play, if only to see the story

I always wanted to get to the True Demon ending because I saw it on youtube and even completely without context it was baller as gently caress

Personally, I actually think the True Neutral ending is the best one, but True Demon is very bad rear end and requires you to beat the toughest bosses in the game.

Nocturne is actually kind of unique in SMT games as it doesn't have much in the way of optional super bosses, but it has an optional last boss who is probably the toughest in the game and it makes for a worthwhile challenge. Doing True Demon on Hard mode is...remains probably one of the most difficult gaming challenges I've actually completed.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I like all the endings in Nocturne but really the true demon one is badass incarnate. Even getting there is amazing as you get a game spanning quest line that requires you to be badass through it all.

Nocturne is the story of a mute guy who recruits demons by punching them really hard. Also the world is dieded.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Colonel posted:

i'm almost done with final fantasy vii. it's a good game, and cloud is actually a really interesting protagonist

I didn't enjoy the game as a whole (the systems felt like a mess), but Cloud, the dude, was pretty fun to be with the entire time. I'd only seen the guy in Kingdom Hearts and yeah, that was not how he came off, especially at game's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

GulagDolls posted:

butt is incredibly cool. the way people misremember butt feels bizarre but i guess it's to be expected when every game/movie he appeared in afterwards character assassinated him
I really really do not understand how the weird, dorky, generally likable, mentally ill protagonist of FF7 collectively became the posterboy for horrible anime navel gazing angst. He had some downbeat moments for sure, but going into the final dungeon the entire party clowned on him for going "let's mosey :haw:" and that is not something Extended Universe Cloud would ever do, ever