Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

poo poo. How have I never heard of this before till now.

I am already intrigued by the name alone.

bloodychill posted:

Those Fur Puppy things creep me out and I'm guessing the game is worse.

The game is actually free. http://www.furpuppies.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

laserghost posted:

I could go for those she-vampires, if you catch my drift :drac::fh:

They should have made a video game adaptation of Killer Klowns From Outer Space

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Extreme0 posted:

I am already intrigued by the name alone.
Highlight the following block of text to ruin all your hopes and dreams: It's a Space Invaders clone.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

The Kins posted:

Highlight the following block of text to ruin all your hopes and dreams: It's a Space Invaders clone.

drat it! I remember an ad for that game in a game magazine as a kid, and was always intrigued by it. Another game fantasy shattered.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

...and then they hosed.
Minecraft looks more awesome than I remember...

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Looking at the leg configuration and facial expressions closely, I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way they're not supposed to be loving.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Schurik posted:

Looking at the leg configuration and facial expressions closely, I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way they're not supposed to be loving.

Don't kink shame.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

This isn't half as ugly as other examples in this thread, but Persona 3's original North American cover is what I would call badly designed minimalism. The box art was so minimalist that I can't imagine most people knew what the gently caress this was supposed to be back in '06. Hell, they could've made the cover completely blank except for the words "that jrpg you only heard about because it involves teenagers shooting themselves in the head" and I would've considered it an improvement.

This is the Japanese cover. Anime style isn't universally appealing of course but I think it's safe to say this one leaves more of an impression.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The US one is a "5 minutes with Photoshop" level of bad, but the Japanese one is a mess in its own right, I had to look at it for a little bit to figure out what is supposed to be going on there and having never played those games I'm still not totally sure.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

raditts posted:

The US one is a "5 minutes with Photoshop" level of bad, but the Japanese one is a mess in its own right, I had to look at it for a little bit to figure out what is supposed to be going on there and having never played those games I'm still not totally sure.

It's an anime teen and his Stand, what's not to get?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Poor kid's so distracted by whatever's offscreen that he isn't even noticing the huge monster right behind him.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actaully those are both good

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Yeah the American one just looks cool. It's obviously some chilly Serial Experiments Lain type Japanese thing, and the font is great.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
They're both passable. Let's be honest, the only good covers are the PAL version, the PAL/Japanese version of FES, and the PSP version, which is the same no matter the region.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The main thing that annoys me is the P3 PERSONA3 thing but designers putting both the title and abbreviated title on covers and promotional art has been a pet peeve of mine since Independence Day aka ID4.

In the same vein is this cover:

It's actually a great cover but FIVE written over the roman numeral always makes me chuckle. They definitely did not want dumb gamers calling it "GTA Vee."

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

raditts posted:

That's a much better cover, but it's still missing the one demon who's cheesing for the camera with a "Hi mom!" look on his face.

I like the guy running in from the back like 'WAAAAIIIT WE GOT THE WRONG ADDRESS, THE LEGIONS OF HELL WE WANT ARE AT THE NEXT BLOCK!'

Looking at it some more there is the small gun just next to the ID logo, so it's like there is meant to be a THIRD guy in the fight. Layers upon layers :allears:

bloodychill posted:

It's actually a great cover but FIVE written over the roman numeral always makes me chuckle. They definitely did not want dumb gamers calling it "GTA Vee."

Grand Theft Autov.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 9, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TheMostFrench posted:

Looking at it some more there is the small gun just next to the ID logo, so it's like there is meant to be a THIRD guy in the fight. Layers upon layers :allears:

It's the same gun the baron in the middle's using.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

G Tav 4 lyfe

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
"Allez Cuisine!" *takes bite out of high explosive*

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

The main thing that annoys me is the P3 PERSONA3 thing but designers putting both the title and abbreviated title on covers and promotional art has been a pet peeve of mine since Independence Day aka ID4.

It's an homage to old $5 bills.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

What program do these developers use to make horrifying 3D goblin people? Because they all seem to be using the same one.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Blackout, an obscure Danish FMV-game with muppets but it's also a psychological headfuck.

http://lparchive.org/Blackout/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The Kins posted:

Woah! That's a great bit of boxart, I had an amiga and an Amstrad when I was 8 (and they were ancient back then and barely worked) but I remember Bombjack vaguely.I remember Dizzy the egg much more vividly.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

The Kins posted:

:stare: That's quite some box art for such a cartoony game.

For contrast, here's the art for the US NES version, the PAL version,

and the Famicom version.

I love how fuckin' goofy that PAL one is. :razz::hf::o:

Mighty Bomb Jack is a great game, because if you collect too many powerups without using them, it tells you that you're greedy and sends you to a torture room.

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master

Fates End posted:

the PSP version, which is the same no matter the region.

They're not. Here's my PAL copy:

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gamejolt is currently hosting a game jam based around bad box art.

Some great stuff on there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Oh god I remember seeing play footage of that game.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bloodychill posted:

our money literally does this on the back, look at a $1 bill.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
That Totally Rad cover is so on point right now.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
P3's Japanese cover is a bit busy, sure, but I still feel it was a worse idea to use a minimalist cover when a) the title didn't have enough brand recognition to pull it off and b) the visual elements they put on the front aren't particularly appealing on their own. The cover also breaks a few design rules, like the rule of thirds (there's absolutely nothing worth looking at in the lower third) and using silhouettes when the characters are not recognizable simply from their shape.

Whatever, it's still a semi acceptable cover, it's just that the game itself has strong visual design so I don't know why they didn't try harder to demonstrate that with the box art.

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 9, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
999 Japanese box:

999 US box:

Both are good/fine in their own ways. However, both got re-releases that are...not good.

Japanese 'the best' reprint:

US 'Zero Escape' rebrand reprint:

The US one in particular feels like 20 minutes in Photoshop.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'v been waiting for that Killzone/Yo Kai Watch crossover!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Rebel Star: Tactical Command has two covers from what I've seen.

The alt front cover

Which is preety fine in itself but then the actual front cover.

Looks like a lovely JPEG you see in one of those popscare flash 'horror' games.

bloodychill posted:

The Gorky17 box I kind of like. It's minimalist but not in a bad way.

Eh I don't know. To me I have no idea what it is exactly other then it's just red melty flesh.

I mean compared to the Eastern Europe cover it's a lot more noticeable on what it's suppose to be.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Japanese 'the best' reprint:

Has there ever been a case where a game has a cover of a cover within another cover?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

bloodychill posted:

Maybe because so many dumb customers called L.A. Noire Lenore. Idiots the lot of 'em.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sigma-X posted:

our money literally does this on the back, look at a $1 bill.

I figured they were using a money theme because of the etching on the top left part of the V and that old fiver someone posted shows it but I maintain they still went with that motif to head off ambiguity with the title.

More covers.
Someone thought this was a good idea and John Madden agreed. In fairness it was because I can't not smile when I see it.

The case for Yoshi being high as a kite:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Touch fuzzy, get dizzy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bloodychill posted:

I worked in a video game store when XIII came out. We sold many copies of ex eye eye eye, ex three and ex-ee.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bloodychill posted:

Someone thought this was a good idea and John Madden agreed. In fairness it was because I can't not smile when I see it.

Bursting through walls Kool-Aid Man style used to be John Madden's signature "thing" once upon a time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Oh god I remember seeing play footage of that game.

You play a dude on a rooftop jerking off and you have to shoot your load on to street-level sluts. It's badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

In Training posted:

You play a dude on a rooftop jerking off and you have to shoot your load on to street-level sluts. It's badass

Until this moment I didn't know if you played as the dude or the sluts.

• Locked thread