Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The greatest snipe ever told.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

As a non-atheist, I am a hated minority in the tech world, and I would love people to only hate my bones outside of the job.

Someone please call an ambulance, I have rolled my eyes straight out of their sockets.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

quote:

There is so much casual anti-theism on reddit, for example. Even in the pokemon fan base, TPP “worshipped” omanyte, and nicknamed it’s pidgey “bird jesus”. This is 1/3 of the pokemon team dedicated to making fun of christianity.

GUYS WE'RE JUST LIKE JEWS IN THE HOLOCAUST :qq:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

A White Guy posted:

GUYS WE'RE JUST LIKE JEWS IN THE HOLOCAUST :qq:

Username is apt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Anti-theism is not naming a Pokemon "Bird Jesus" or joking about worshipping something.

I once got in trouble because I drew Raptor Jesus on the whiteboard in 9th grade and one of the really devout kids found it super offensive

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

neonnoodle posted:

:confused: In what way did he misinterpret that part? It seems to me like he pretty much got it (though I don't think the rest of his argument is analogous to it).

The interpretation which was obvious to me is that Tevye is trying to paper over genuine disagreement amongst the villagers by simply insisting, contrary to fact, that all his friends are friends with each other, because he idealizes the village and wants to see it that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not, the irony would be obvious.

Either way I think you're right that the analogy is wrong: it's fine if people in a literal village have a variety of opinions, but force themselves not to bring up disagreements in order to coexist, but it would be ridiculous if people united only by their common opinions did the same thing. Maybe he's only friends with rationalists and these debates are really harshing the vibe at sex parties.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://www.dangerandplay.com/2012/03/23/four-days-of-impotence/

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Starts with him in a relationship so it lie

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
"Gorilla Mindset," eh? Please, tell me more about your plans to have the smallest genital-to-body size ratio in the order of primates? :colbert:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

"Gorilla Mindset," eh? Please, tell me more about your plans to have the smallest genital-to-body size ratio in the order of primates? :colbert:

I just remembered that King Kong totally could have hosed that chick

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

2,500 years on and he knows who Buddha is, though.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
One man said some really lovely things on social media, was criticised, and ended up fired. This, however, is a case of SJWs purging a paragon for free speech, says internet outrage person St_Rev.

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707376785063813120
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707375454752215041
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707383011923386368
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707383724057432064

And when it comes to White men being as Jews were in Nazi Germany with the Nazis now being the SJW hegemony:

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707385635728957440
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707386543456002048
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707388726020870145
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/707388979281272832

This is the guy who declared (without any evidence) that institutionalised racism and patriarchy do not exist, but there's no evidence required in declaring a conspiracy against white guys on the internet by "powerful brown people" who also apparently control all the media and purge everyone they don't like.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm glad the left has hegemony, Trump had me worried.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pax on the other hand is doing an even worse job of making himself look good.

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/707365285725077504
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/707355955466469376
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/707359586475511808

E: drat, making sure his actions are as indefensible as possible:

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/707361599384907780
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/707362390636171265

"I only got fired for saying something that you can get fired for saying because I'm White!"

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Mar 9, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm guessing from the last couple pages, that nobody has come across #TheTriggering, yet? http://fusion.net/story/278628/the-triggering/

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/03/08/extropians-kurzweil-libertarians-and-the-deluded-immortality-scam/

quote:

hese guys are running a scam, motivated by extreme libertarianism, a misbegotten transhumanism, and an ugly combination of ignorance and wishful thinking. They’re also bankrolled by a lot of young, stupid, filthy rich Silicon Valley entrepreneurs.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

I'm guessing from the last couple pages, that nobody has come across #TheTriggering, yet? http://fusion.net/story/278628/the-triggering/
This is softer than the average youtube comment. What is this, Fascist middle school? Centrists imagining what being hard right would be like? The hard right imagining what being centrist would be like?

Here, let me make the perfect #TheTriggering:

quote:

NIGGERS #TheTriggering #FreeSpeech

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 9, 2016

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The original Baffler article is even more hilarious.

quote:

9:33 a.m., Suozzi’s body was moved to an operating table. Ten minutes later, Alcor’s technophilic necromancers completed “cephalic isolation”—a euphemistic neologism that means they cut off her head. Such bloodless jargon obscures the macabre slapstick of the antics in the morgue—er, “operating room.” As the magazine account went on to relate:

9:45 a.m.: Cephalon placed in holding ring of cephalic enclosure.
[Translation: They put Suozzi’s head in a box.]

9:51 a.m.: Cephalon fell out of holding ring.
[Translation: Her head fell out.]

9:52 a.m.: Cephalon repositioned.
[Translation: It’s a good thing that, as far as anyone knows, none of these people have been operating on live human bodies.]

Suozzi’s bodily fluids were flushed and replaced with a specially formulated and questionably effective “cryoprotectant”—antifreeze. The official recap alludes to a certain amount of rubbernecking and bickering consistent with past insider accounts of Alcor operations. That wasn’t all. “Unfortunately,” the Cryonics report notes, “there was some confusion and disagreement regarding the ideal temperature at which to perform surgery.” One might assume a forty-four-year-old organization devoted to storing body parts on ice would have reached some working consensus on this question by now.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Zikan posted:

The original Baffler article is even more hilarious.

Just makes me angry. Being someone who was really scared of death, it seemed alluring once.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I still want to be frozen. Even .00000000000000001 chance of survival is better than none at all.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Well, it's that chance of survival versus however-many-orders-of-magnitude higher chance of your money helping someone/thing else in the nearer future.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I had not realized that Scott had banned the use of the word "neoreaction" in his comments. I wonder if I could find a wordpress plugin that would let him instead replace it with I AM TEARING THE RATIONALIST COMMUNITY APART.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

I still want to be frozen. Even .00000000000000001 chance of survival is better than none at all.

Why would anyone thaw you out? Serious question.

And in what universe is that dead frozen brain going to maintain a consciousness for centuries in a state such that it can be restored?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Well see you all in a couple pages

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, it's that chance of survival versus however-many-orders-of-magnitude higher chance of your money helping someone/thing else in the nearer future.

I'd take the first one. OkCupid had some 'would you let 1,000 or 100 people die so you could live?' question. I learned that I had to change my answer if I wanted a good result.
The entire world is what I perceive. If I stop existing, from my POV, the world stops existing. That's the most terrifying thing in the world.

Besides freezing, i also used to imagine shooting myself into a black hole. This is relevant, because if Yud was around then I would have given him all my money, though i guess I missed a trick in not being him.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Mar 10, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I'd take the first one. OkCupid had some 'would you let 1,000 or 100 people die so you could live?' question. I learned that I had to change my answer if I wanted a good result.
The entire world is what I perceive. If I stop existing, from my POV, the world stops existing. That's the most terrifying thing in the world.

Haha, literally solipsism.

You are a terrible person. And I don't go around saying that about just anybody I disagree with on the Internet.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Count Chocula posted:

Do a little research on anoxic brain damage and cellular rupture after freezing, and it becomes obvious that, with current methods, the chance of successful revival from cryonic freeze isn't just very small, it's 0. In non-clinical terms: even if your mind adequately survived the shutdown of your brain in death, freezing turns your brain from "dead/damaged" to "ice-crystal-studded goo." The theoretical future cryogenic-revival scientists would be insanely lucky to revive anything capable of maintaining a heartbeat, let alone an even half-functional human being with even a shred of the pre-deceased person's personality. It's not impossible that cryonics might work eventually, with serious technological breakthroughs in freezing tissues without rupture and postmortem system repair, but right now it absolutely cannot work. You can't recreate a functioning brain from what cryonics leaves behind any more than you can recreate a house from a pile of ashes and insulation crumbs.

If the concept is still comforting for you, that's fine; people have the right to choose whatever funeral customs have the most meaning to them and their loved ones, and I'm not going to regulate what people do with dead bodies as long as they're not creating a public health risk. Just be aware that you're not really gambling on a long-shot that might, just possibly, pay out in the future, if you're somehow preserved long enough and competently enough, and the distant future decides it's a good idea to revive cryogenically frozen bodies instead of mulching them for fertilizer, and you get pulled out of the vault specifically -- you're actually gambling on something substantially less likely than that, something that is pretty much impossible barring literal magic, which is pretty much what all of these libertarian-transhumanist immortality policies are riding on. It's magical thinking, and if that magical thinking is fine with you, okay, but don't pretend actual science is ever going to back it up.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Eox posted:

We're all going to poo poo ourselves when we die and there's nothing we can do about it

Yeah there is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Count Chocula posted:

And people say peer pressure is bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Do a little research on anoxic brain damage and cellular rupture after freezing, and it becomes obvious that, with current methods, the chance of successful revival from cryonic freeze isn't just very small, it's 0. In non-clinical terms: even if your mind adequately survived the shutdown of your brain in death, freezing turns your brain from "dead/damaged" to "ice-crystal-studded goo." The theoretical future cryogenic-revival scientists would be insanely lucky to revive anything capable of maintaining a heartbeat, let alone an even half-functional human being with even a shred of the pre-deceased person's personality. It's not impossible that cryonics might work eventually, with serious technological breakthroughs in freezing tissues without rupture and postmortem system repair, but right now it absolutely cannot work. You can't recreate a functioning brain from what cryonics leaves behind any more than you can recreate a house from a pile of ashes and insulation crumbs.

For the purposes of understanding the mindset of people involved (and cryonics is a pretty big Thing in the dork enlightenment), I will say that the chance they're gambling on is way more star trek than that: they anticipate it would be easier for future entities to find a "destructive" process which produces living copies of a sufficiently preserved corpse-brain. They don't want to build a house out of ashes, just study them enough to build an identical house with whatever's convenient, biological or otherwise.

You might well say that even if such a practice were developed, your point about differences between the person who died and the person "produced" still stands. I've seen discussions of this on less wrong. I remember someone describing it as more like having a kid, except they get to live in the future, and you don't have to raise them, and another saying they'd probably be treated as untouchable retards by the luminous intelligences who, as has been pointed out, had no good reason to revive them. Roko's Basilisk is itself an example of a reason people would call "bad."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Chocula posted:

Have you tried following the word of the one true lord and savior Jesus Christ, who will resurrect the faithful on judgment day and grant them life everlasting? Unlike cryonics, it hasn't been proved not to work.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Count Chocula posted:

The entire world is what I perceive. If I stop existing, from my POV, the world stops existing.

How do you square sleeping? Does it trip you out that the memories are consistent, or is that part of a plot?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

How do you square sleeping? Does it trip you out that the memories are consistent, or is that part of a plot?

"Sleep, that little cousin of death. How I loathe it!" - Edgar Allan Poe

I'm cool with sleeping now but it used to terrify me. There's probably some stupid Silicon Valley invention to remove it, like Soylent promises for food.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doc Hawkins posted:

For the purposes of understanding the mindset of people involved (and cryonics is a pretty big Thing in the dork enlightenment), I will say that the chance they're gambling on is way more star trek than that: they anticipate it would be easier for future entities to find a "destructive" process which produces living copies of a sufficiently preserved corpse-brain. They don't want to build a house out of ashes, just study them enough to build an identical house with whatever's convenient, biological or otherwise.

This is fair enough, and I'm not even going to get into the philosophical discussion of whether the future recreated person with your memories/personality is really "you" or not, but my point is that "sufficiently preserved corpse-brain" is not a standard met by any degree by current cryonics technology, unless you assume that the future entities are sufficiently magical so as to be able to pull a personality from any level of destroyed cranial matter. Death/oxygen deprivation does a number on the brain, and cell rupture from freezing turns the rest into ooze.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What if in the future, they do indeed reconstruct your frozen brain by having nanites repair your cryo-destroyed synapses based on the most likely pathways required to reproduce your facebook behavior? And what if, then, it turns out the future is just a really lovely place? Like Ray Kurzweil is the boss of the future and you have to listen to him forever, and Yud is his right hand and everyone is really into his books and wants to talk to you about them all the time, and all food is Soylent, and nobody bothered to revive non-whites for reasons so everything is 110% lily white.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

"Sleep, that little cousin of death. How I loathe it!" - Edgar Allan Poe

I'm cool with sleeping now but it used to terrify me. There's probably some stupid Silicon Valley invention to remove it, like Soylent promises for food.

Have you talked to a therapist? Because I really feel you might wanna talk to a therapist.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just updated the RW cryonics article with the Kim Suozzi stuff. HOLY poo poo. Alcor's tried to litigate away the serious allegations concerning their slapstick incompetence at the one loving thing they claim to be able to do before, but this one condemns them out of their own mouths.

(I was neutral-to-positive on cryonics before looking into it. Then a friend got seriously interested and I looked more closely and went LOL loving WHAT and wrote most of that wiki page.)

For the biological problems: PZ Myers is an annoying skeptical atheist, but he's also a professor of developmental biology who freezes zebrafish brains as part of his work. This piece and this piece cover a lot of why anyone who's actually worked with freezing neurons, i.e. a lot of biologists, dismisses present-day cryonics out of hand from basic science, let alone that it's run by complete clowns. The chance is not 0.00000000001%, it's 0. That poo poo's trashed. You're not going to reconstruct an ice sculpture from the bucket of water it became, no matter how superintelligent an AI you put onto the task.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

What if in the future, they do indeed reconstruct your frozen brain by having nanites repair your cryo-destroyed synapses based on the most likely pathways required to reproduce your facebook behavior? And what if, then, it turns out the future is just a really lovely place? Like Ray Kurzweil is the boss of the future and you have to listen to him forever, and Yud is his right hand and everyone is really into his books and wants to talk to you about them all the time, and all food is Soylent, and nobody bothered to revive non-whites for reasons so everything is 110% lily white.

Pretty sure my Millennial/Boomer/Gen X social skills will enable me to live a hedonistic existence. <- Actual Extropian belief

Because obviously social norms are set in stone and culture shock is something that happens to Others

Peztopiary has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In a way, all cryogenics does is allow the Basilisk to not only torture a copy of you (who cares), but actually you.